Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What of the announced new shows are you most excited about?
This poll is closed.
Uzumaki 29 33.33%
Fena Pirate Princess 13 14.94%
That Blade Runner Thing 5 5.75%
Trick Question: They're all bad 14 16.09%
Please just rerun Cowboy Bebop 26 29.89%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dungeon cousin posted:

The Neon Genesis Junior High Students. They're all male by the way.

If I recall correctly the deal with their name is that they weren't originally a reference to NGE but the localization of Shinseki Chugakusei (New Generation Junior High Students) opened up that opportunity.

And, really. It's SSSS Gridman. Any excuse for more references is a good excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Level Seven posted:

Telling everyone everything the believe is a lie? NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG Shinra

I mean, it went over well when Willy Tybur did it... until Eren started a rampage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

I prefer to put my faith in Lord Canti.

Only his holy flames can prevent the spread of Endsvillle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I wanna say...line-cutting?

If I remember right, it's a very relatable one this week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

this is my first time watching this and my cat is extremely interested in it

Your cat has good taste.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

This episode it's "butting into my conversation"

It's "Getting Ultraman details wrong when claiming to be a fan", at least in the subbed version.

Akane takes tokusatsu shows seriously.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

"Look Gridman I just wanna hook up with a girl alright"

Yuta's attraction to Rikka is one of the most powerful forces in the world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If I remember right, the Youtuber names are kind of an in-joke, like so much else of the show.

They're all named after toy companies that made a version of the Macross Valkyrie.

Three of them went out of business. One survived.

Also, this episode has an Inferno Cop cameo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

So

uh

why is there all these sci fi armors now

Years of scientific development taking advantage of all the technology the MPs banned and confiscated. It's basically an upgraded version of Kenny's gear.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

again, I say unto you: give me an anime that teases a beach episode but it turns out to be the opening of Saving Private Ryan

Attack on Titan's beach episode lead to the current events, so that's sort of it.

And when Chainsaw Man's beach episode is animated, it's going to be... something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I can see why Trigger was chosen to adapt Gridman now.

It was actually their choice. If I remember right, the director wanted to make an Ultraman anime, but since there were plans in play for an anime already, Tsuburaya told him no, but they offered Gridman or... Jumborg, I think, as a consolation prize.

And Akira Amemiya? Big Gridman fan. Even did a short for the animator expo Anno set up. Thus, this.

Edit: Also, there's a subplot completely in the background of this episode of Akko from LWA starting to get together with one of the guys from the class.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

I hope so, i'm enjoying the show overall but as a whole

The main characters were super confused about whole gridman thing for the first few episodes and were wanting figure things out and then the rest of the alliance showed up and then...nothing really so far. Like they were told off screen or something.

One of the things that made me love Gridman was that the show tended to answer questions the episode after people started seriously asking questions.

Including questions about what questions the characters have been asking.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I’M FROM PARADIS AND I SAY KILL EM ALL

We know, Floch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

ok I gotta say, this scene is sorta brutal

Brutal? Attack on Titan?

I don't believe it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Between the assassins playing with their DSes and the president with his Game Boy, it appears to be Strangely Out Of Place Video Game Night on Toonami.

maybe tonight everyone can see if Gridman has any cool games on the computer to keep the trend going

Looking at the episode for tonight, seems like Gridman's going to keep up the theme.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Pretty sure Japan just went into another covid lockdown recently so uh, not for another few years at this point.

There's a Jojo event scheduled for April, and the anime pipeline's been adapting to lockdown over the last year.

Being pessimistic about movies is one thing, but another Jojo anime next year isn't an absurd dream.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Polygynous posted:

ooh mystery child, surely this is good

Spooky mysterious children are always a good sign!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

does he literally know nothing except "kill Gridman" and "breathing"

He ate a meal after Akane thought he'd killed Gridman?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the gently caress did he get a saw tonfa from

Transformers reference.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dungeon cousin posted:

Uuuhhhhh... aliens? Aliens!

Except for the little girl. She's from the before times.

The little girl is implied to be the daughter of a kaiju-of-the-week who Gridman saved in the original Gridman.

The current Gridman, meanwhile, has amnesia, so who knows what his deal is.

What's most important is that Alexis Kerib is living his best life.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 21, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

extremely hyped to see the lost Titan episode that's just a flashback to boot camp where everybody's endlessly bitching about how impossibly motherfucking cold it is. doubly so if all of Mikasa's dialogue has been replaced by Kenny-esque "mmfmn"-ing from underneath the scarf.

e: on second thought, take it a step farther: stick them in the Antarctic, and give us a Titan/John Carpenter's "The Thing" mashup

I mean, there is a flashback about freezing to death in boot camp. It's mainly about Krista and Ymir's relationship.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Um, why can't you kill him at this point? Isn't Pacman-ing up Titan powers your end goal, Eren?

Killing Reiner is the cold fusion of murder. There's a lot of theoretical work, but all the practical testing has ended in failure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

oh come on, you cant make that shot

You can't.

Gabi can.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Why are they not buying this after all the crazy poo poo they've seen so far?

Because "Kaiju started showing up" is a very different level of crazy from "Your whole life is a lie and God is a teenage girl who hates you."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unscientific posted:

I bloody love every thing about Alexis. Holy poo poo

Alexis is just the happiest Tokusatsu villain. Dude's living his best life.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Um, I'm not advocating this, I'm just throwing the idea out there since everything's on the table:

If Calibur sneaks up behind Akane and cuts her head off, do our Kaiju problems go away?

First, he'd have to cut her head off. Have YOU ever tried slicing a demiurge's head off?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

This has all the markings of a series finale, what's going on here

e: ah, now I see

Yeah, plenty more room for things to get... interesting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Yeah am I supposed to know who this lady who looks like Armin is?

She had the fake beard when they sent Pieck down into the pit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

A million soldiers huh

How many people even live in Paradis now after two walls fell? 20,000?

Only one of the three walls fell. Paradis has about a million people left.

It's not small, but compared to Marley, it's nothing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Wasn't the second wall temporarily taken by the Titans and then reclaimed?

No. It was breached once, and a village was turned into titans without a breach, but Wall Rose generally held. It was only the outer city of Trost that was almost lost.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Level Seven posted:

He's not glaring that's how he usually looks

That's only because he's usually glaring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

So I remember people saying during some previous season of AoT that Historia basically becomes a parallel protagonist eventually

Was that just dropped or has elements of it not come up yet

It was for the first half of season 3. In the final season, she has a much smaller role on screen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

this episode is so good

I've been looking forward to it this whole run. It's maybe the best episode of any anime in 2018, and that was a pretty solid year.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Wait really? Huh, guess I shouldn't have expected that much from a show that is explicitly based on a toku show and therefore very episodic but it feels like the plot hasn't really gone anywhere since the Akane reveal.

I mean, look at Akane. These last few episodes have clearly been showing her progression, trying to reach out (in a warped way) to the Gridman alliance and failing, leading to a slow breakdown.

Meanwhile, Anti's losing purpose from getting his rear end kicked repeatedly and being rejected by his creator, Rikka and Shu are slowly realizing the horrifying truth of their world despite trying to reject it, and Alexis is testing out new methods since Akane isn't working as well.

It's still episodic, sure, but characters are moving forward.

(Also, the Blu Rays had a special audio drama for this episode. It's pretty good.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

are you motherfucking kidding me with this poo poo

The manga actually showed that she got a tattoo towards the beginning. The anime replaced it with embroidery, assuming it wouldn't be important (and to avoid controversy).

...Turned out it was important!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

WHY ARE DAD AND ALSO DAD FIGHTING, SOMEONE CALL MOM SO SHE CAN MAKE THEM STOP

Don't worry. They made a book to explain things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Polygynous posted:

it's powered by a forsaken child?

A clean burning forsaken child.

Don't be so negative.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

wait WHAT

THE SHOW JUST STARTED WHY ARE WE GOING TO COMMERCIAL

I blame Alexis Kerib.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

wait, was she literally living right next door to our WHAT IN THE GODDAMN

I thought we’d be far away enough. But Akane's house was right next door to us. All this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

Is this just the world’s least satisfying game of SimCity?

I'd say the greater Kaiju variety alone puts it well ahead of Sim City 2013.