Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What of the announced new shows are you most excited about?
This poll is closed.
Uzumaki 29 33.33%
Fena Pirate Princess 13 14.94%
That Blade Runner Thing 5 5.75%
Trick Question: They're all bad 14 16.09%
Please just rerun Cowboy Bebop 26 29.89%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

beached manatee

Look, they can't all be winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

So the squad from the beginning had 5 secret titans and two secret princesses. Anybody else got any secrets?

Connie lied when he said he totally understood Inception.

(It should have been a dead giveaway when he talked at length about how they were twins the whole time, but movies not existing in the world of Attack on Titan made it very difficult to prove him wrong.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

this

kid

has

problems

Reminder: Eren killed two adults at age 9. As a twelve year old, Gabi had three additional years to grow addicted to murder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

bro that was in defense of someone else’s life, that’s different from normal bad murder

Those were gateway murders.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

You know I'm starting to realize that half of the charm of this show is that the character designs are great

ALL the girls are cute, it's hosed up

To quote an interview with Tatsuki Fujimoto, passing on the wisdom of the writer of Hell's Paradise:

"All the girls can be cute!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

So it Akane's doing that the one girl is always wearing a face mask and never seems to get any better from whatever she's sick of?

She's not sick. It's just some people always wear masks for safety purposes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh Anti, never change

I mean, he already did.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Oh I didn't realize the computer was actually named Junk, I thought it was just them referring to the computer as junk.

e: aw poo poo we got Gridman a sweet new graphics card

It's both.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Who is horny for a teenage girl, no less.

It's not that Gridman is horny for Rikka,

It's that Yuta is so horny for Rikka that it overwhelms amnesia, possession by a hyper-agent, and attempted mind control.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

Right now it's more of a spiritual successor, bit I could see it being recontexualized into a full on sequel if the writers choose to go in that direction. There are a lot of callbacks and visual parallels to ssss.gridman that make me think that it'll have some meaningful connections.

I mean, SSSS. Gridman only confirmed it was a direct sequel to the live action series in the final episode.

What they've said is that the new show is set in the same world as Gridman, and has a few shared conceits, but we haven't seen any cameos or anything yet, and it's probably going to be written to mostly stand alone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

He could do that without all the war crimes.

Well, he could.

If he was chicken.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Show writers: "hey when was the last time we reminded everyone that in this world, magic is everything"

"...Magic is everything?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So what is Alexis

a sentient virus?

Trigger has (jokingly) claimed that he's an evil Chief Over-Justice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

This is how Asura's Wrath ended too

A lot of people were confused at the Gridman cameo then, but looking back...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

It was all her...dream? Her depressive,creative otaku brain dream?!

Is it suppose to be sigifiigant that Anti had 2 different colored eyes? Other than that it was Yuta red and Gridman blue?

It wasn't a dream. Or at least, not just a dream.

Akane created a real (virtual) world when she was being used by Alexis Kerib for his Toku entertainment. Gridman showed up to save the day, and after he did, the world was rebuilt to be bigger and better than ever. Akane woke up in the real world, Gridman moved on to keep being a hero, and everyone else stayed behind in the cyberworld, including Anti as its new protector.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

what seriously makes people think that revenge always has to be an endless cycle of some sort? I have never understood that way of thinking

Because if you kill someone, odds are that there was someone who cared about them. And that person will want payback. And then people who care about you will want payback. And on and on and on, until someone forgives (or at least agrees to stop), or until everyone is dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

the last thing that happened pre-timsekip was Floch trying to punch Eren because Armin got the Collosal instead of Erwin

how did Floch and Eren become buddy buddy

Floch wanted Erwin around to be the Devil.

Guess what Eren's acting like lately?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Floch is just such an amazing piece of poo poo.

You know why he does what he does, he's a consistent person with relatable motives, and he's entertaining to watch so you're never disappointed to see him... but man. He's just the worrrsssttt.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

There's a lot of objectionable poo poo in this show, especially this season, but it seems like Zeke's gonna live and I'm honestly mad about that the most.

What can I say, except

give up your dreams of a good ending and die. Then Levi will kill the beast titan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Whoa whoa whoa we had a BREED Mountain this whole time when we had been making jokes about Skullcrusher?!

What do you think they get up to at Breed Mountain :wink:

Ironically, skull crushing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Shouldn’t eyeballs be one of those body parts that can’t be replaced once they’re gone?

Don't worry.

Public Safety has a guy for that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

They definitely play fast and loose with the whole "no flying" rule.

It's falling. With style.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Polygynous posted:

also this technically like doubles the number of toonami characters that have gotten laid, doesn't it

e: or do we only count main characters lol

I figure only counting leads is probably simpler, or else we'd have to include everyone's parents who die to establish drama. (Also, Toonami had both eva and the original Gundam, and people gently caress like crazy in the background there).

For leads, looking at the list of shows, there's Goku, Kira Yamato, Anakin Skywalker, the Major, Naruto, Mikazuki Augus, Amuro Ray, Char Aznable, Lupin III, Alucard, Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar, Jotaro Kujo, Keiichi Ikari, and, of course, Hamtaro.

That's actually a pretty long list.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's gotta be within the events of the series. Everyone here did it between series so it doesn't count.

Right, that narrows things a bit. Still gives us Goku, Kira, Makoto Kusanagi, Mikazuki Augus, Lupin III, Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar, and the controversial three hour Hamtaro special.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 12, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Might have been different in the manga.

It was.

It's a plot point that the protagonist and the sniper banged before the final battle, with them having a family in the epilogue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

This is the exact moment we all gave up on Momo. Expect nothing from her in the future.

Ironically, in her next appearance, she's responsible for the biggest real win the good guys get.

It's just a win that involves truly horrifying amounts of collateral damage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

The only thing that I can guess is that they didn't want to spend more time on an anime for a manga that was already over, so the crew was told to wrap it up in a season.

Yeah, the boost from an anime for a manga's sales tend to peak when the manga is ongoing. There are exceptions (Demon Slayer), but in general, anime tend to go with ongoing manga, not ones that are long finished.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Willo567 posted:

But the second season only started a year after the manga ended - it hasn't been that long

No, but if they did more standard pacing, you'd have another two years before a third season, and likely another two for a fourth, pretty much killing the momentum from the end of the series. It's part of why so many manga, even best sellers, only got half an adaptation.

Trying to rush so much was partially an attempt to finish the anime while the iron was still hot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Uzumaki has been delayed to October 2022

You could almost say the production was... cursed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Lol that rules. Whoever's up in the booth is a hero.

There's been a lot of anime music for the olympics. I heard some of Iron Blooded Orphans's soundtrack at the swim relay finals, and the opening had Ace Combat and Nier music.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I thought you were Sparticus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

A friend of Joan of Arc's is a friend of mine! I will be sure to lower my guard around Johan as i do all my friends.

I mean, would he be called "Liebert" if he wasn't honest?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Rare moment of Bakugo being correct?

If I had to summarize Bakugo in one Grand Lebowski quote, it'd be "You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I'm not like super up on new anime so what does everyone think would be a good fit for Toonami?

Well, there was a sequel of sorts to Gridman in Dynazenon, and Nomad for Megalobox, so those are obvious. But for a non-sequel, Odd Taxi is really good. Probably wouldn't get great ratings, since it's less action and more grounded, but it's probably the best anime this year. (At least, so far.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just remembered that 86 would probably be a good fit. Mechs, murder, melodrama. All three of the big Ms.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Scooby Doo has existed off and on since 1969, having 40 movies(almost all of which were made for TV or straight to home video/DVD) honestly isn't all that shocking.

I mean, Gundam has existed since 1979, is about ten times as profitable as Scooby-doo, and it "only" has 30 movies. (With six more in the pipeline). I can see the sheer mass of Scooby Doo movies being a bit surprising on first seeing it.

Especially since there are actually forty six Scooby Doo movies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"Jinkies! It turns out that Zeon's ghost was his long lost son Casval this whole time. He just wore a mask so he could pretend to be Char Aznable. This whole time, he just wanted the hidden briefcase full of gold."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Jinkies, Scooby, that weird catgirl just ripped Shaggy's arm off!

I'm sorry, but that's where this starts being absurd.

Everyone knows Shaggy's power level is too high for a mere chimera ant to threaten him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Everything is dying in general. It's one of the laws of thermodynamics.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Battle for Arrakis is very important because it was one of the first RTS games ever i think? Or at least one of the first for a console game on the Genesis no less! But it's also famous for kicking rad title screen music :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2p0kS0DsQ

Herzog Zwei predates it by a couple years, but Dune II made a lot of changes that moved towards the RTS style that became huge in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

Yashahime - Being literally raised by wolves would probably have been a step up for Red over there, because last I checked wolves don't sell their pups into slavery to local bounty guilds. Seriously, though, why does someone with demon powers of any kind take poo poo from basic-rear end humans regarding financial debt? God, this series is dumb as hell.

Because Denji, in addition to being a Nobel prize worthy genius, is a world class dumbass. He contains multitudes.

(Sadly, it seems Moroha isn't going to take Denji's creative approach to debt management.)