Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

naw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had a run in with Jello Biafra once, digging through old vinyl. I didn't realize it was him, I assumed it was just some aging overweight former punk like me, just older. Anyway he pulled a record out and said "I haven't seen this album in ages" and folks, it's not an act. He just sounds like that all the time.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Regarding the terror group Goop: you do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to em”

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Paltrow had never been that unclear about her general distain for the whole franchise. You'd get a similar response asking her about any iron man plotline

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had a run in with Jello Biafra once, digging through old vinyl. I didn't realize it was him, I assumed it was just some aging overweight former punk like me, just older. Anyway he pulled a record out and said "I haven't seen this album in ages" and folks, it's not an act. He just sounds like that all the time.

If I'd run into Jello Biafra it would probably have turned into a three hour conversation.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly my friend and I both just sorta stopped digging through records and slowly turned to stare at each other.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly my friend and I both just sorta stopped digging through records and slowly turned to stare at each other.

I think about this a lot:

https://thehardtimes.net/music/lucky-airline-passenger-wins-free-five-hour-spoken-word-concert-by-jello-biafra/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Calaveron posted:

If The Hobbit movies had come out before the LoTR movies there wouldn't have been LoTR movies this I sincerely believe

But if the Hobbit movies had come before the LoTR movies then there wouldn't have been Hobbit movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pirate Jet posted:

Regarding the terror group Goop: you do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to em”

I don't understand why people get mad at Goop. It's a website where you can buy expensive creams and tinctures. There's lots of websites like that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Calaveron posted:

If The Hobbit movies had come out before the LoTR movies there wouldn't have been LoTR movies this I sincerely believe

If they were first, they would've only made one Hobbit movie like it is supposed to be.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I love a good fantasy but however controversial the hobbits are amongst nerds they're all blockbusters that made a solid profit, and that's why there's gonna be a (probably) awful tv series and who knows what else going forward.

Azog objectively looks better than Gollum; it's literally the same sfx company refining their own mocap CGI stuff! I wouldn't say all the effects/designs are good, but then I'd say that about LOTR too.

Jackson's hobbits may not compare to the Rankin/Bass but they're fine paired with his LOTR. Same style, humour, bloat, lack of fidelity to the source material, etc. The Weta hexalogy ain't top shelf but it's pretty decent for the genre

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I thought so too, but I think he’s just pissed at being told Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood weren’t realistic compared to The Last Duel.

Sounds right. Honestly don't see why that comparison should be surprising, The Last Duel is a much more low-key story based on events that actually happened in a very specific time and place, and makes a point out of the realism of interactions between characters and the culture and society they live in.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Hobbits are permanently hamstrung by not being available in the format they were made in (48fps), it's a real shame.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand why people get mad at Goop. It's a website where you can buy expensive creams and tinctures. There's lots of websites like that.

They give very bad and potentially dangerous advice about feminine hygiene. I follow a gynecologist on twitter who loving despises Goop because they tell women to do things like shove jade eggs up their vagina then squat over a steamer.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

They give very bad and potentially dangerous advice about feminine hygiene. I follow a gynecologist on twitter who loving despises Goop because they tell women to do things like shove jade eggs up their vagina then squat over a steamer.

Gynecology is dead. Long live Gwynecology.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah has a lot to do with being of the biggest in the pseudo-science “health and wellness” company game, so it draws the most attention which is why it receives more hate than some website selling weird pills no one has heard of.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 22, 2021

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Reactions to COVID precautions and the vaccine has made it more obvious than ever that even tolerating alternative medicine quackery is dangerous. Goop is one of the largest in the industry and whose face is a major celebrity with more public credibility than, say, Jenny McCarthy. Gwyneth Paltrow is queen of nothing other than conmen and decay.

Good luck on understanding things Gripweed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My problem with the Hobbit trilogy is that everything feels so unearned. The movies try to have these big dramatic moments entirely off of the lotr trilogy and it feels cheap and artificial. The only two moments that land for me are when the Dwarf with the silly hat tries to convince Bilbo not to leave and Bilbo tells him that dwarves are used to not having homes, with the dwarf looking hurt but also understanding where Bilbo is coming from and Bilbo's speech at the end before Azog shows up. Everything else feels like a checklist of things to do because they were referenced in the original movies.

Blood Boils posted:

I love a good fantasy but however controversial the hobbits are amongst nerds they're all blockbusters that made a solid profit, and that's why there's gonna be a (probably) awful tv series and who knows what else going forward.

Azog objectively looks better than Gollum; it's literally the same sfx company refining their own mocap CGI stuff! I wouldn't say all the effects/designs are good, but then I'd say that about LOTR too.

Jackson's hobbits may not compare to the Rankin/Bass but they're fine paired with his LOTR. Same style, humour, bloat, lack of fidelity to the source material, etc. The Weta hexalogy ain't top shelf but it's pretty decent for the genre

Sure Azog looks better than Gollum but that one guy caked in makeup and fake teeth in the Fellowship of the Ring looks a thousand times cooler and more threatening

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
arlington road plot kinda blows but like on mothman prophecies the director really knows how to dial in the creepy, wondering if that's due to him being a music video director from the 90s but it rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Come And See posted:

Reactions to COVID precautions and the vaccine has made it more obvious than ever that even tolerating alternative medicine quackery is dangerous. Goop is one of the largest in the industry and whose face is a major celebrity with more public credibility than, say, Jenny McCarthy. Gwyneth Paltrow is queen of nothing other than conmen and decay.

Good luck on understanding things Gripweed.

I think that the mainstream medical establishment has done more than enough by itself to damage its own credibility. They can be mad about goop when they fix that whole thing where they financially ruin your life if you ever actually need their services.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is what I don't get about people who get mad at conspiracy theorists or witches or whatever. What legitimate authority do you think they should be heeding? What organization or person in America do you think actually has any claim to being trustworthy? Because as far as I can tell, there isn't one. There is no longstanding authority in this country that can credibly ask anyone to trust them at this point.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I guess we may as well elect Goop, then

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

This is what I don't get about people who get mad at conspiracy theorists or witches or whatever. What legitimate authority do you think they should be heeding? What organization or person in America do you think actually has any claim to being trustworthy? Because as far as I can tell, there isn't one. There is no longstanding authority in this country that can credibly ask anyone to trust them at this point.

You look at multiple sources of information and none of those sources should be Joe Rogan.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

The Hobbits are permanently hamstrung by not being available in the format they were made in (48fps), it's a real shame.

I forgot about this whole trend. Has anyone done a high framerate movie since this and Ang Lee's?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

You look at multiple sources of information and none of those sources should be Joe Rogan.

Joe rogan is the only man out there trying to educate us about the dangers of Chimpanzee's

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I think that the mainstream medical establishment has done more than enough by itself to damage its own credibility. They can be mad about goop when they fix that whole thing where they financially ruin your life if you ever actually need their services.

There are countries other than America where your healthcare is free at the point of service and there’s also such a thing as making a bad problem worse.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FunkyAl posted:

I forgot about this whole trend. Has anyone done a high framerate movie since this and Ang Lee's?

Nothing so far as I can see. Cameron said he shot individual scenes for Avatar 2 in HFR but no word on whether it'll actually be projected like that.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

It depends on the conspiracy theory being talked about. I think I have the right to get upset at anti-vax people because they are actively making the world a worse place in a tangible way beyond just being unpleasant to talk to.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How come nobody ever said Mikey and Nicky featured a young M Emmett Walsh?!

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Gripweed posted:

The height of bus fights. Shang Chi and Nobody can’t touch it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've started my end of year BAFTA watching binge, and by FAR the standout to date is Petite Maman by Celine Sciamma. Just an utterly exquisite, beautiful, perfect film. Masterful but in a very intimate, understated way.

Others I have watched:
First Cow (very, very good)
No Time To Die (v good for a Bond film)
In The Heights (pretty good, I enjoyed it)
Parallel Mothers (2nd tier Almodovar)
Passing (unwatchable)
Dream Horse (bad, disappointing - decent script ham-fistedly executed)
Benediction (mixed-bag Terence Davies Siegfried Sassoon film)
CODA (close runner-up - really excellent)
The Duke (decent - does exactly what you think it will, no more, no less)
Green Knight (also excellent - extremely well done, and boldly original)
Sabaya - very powerful documentary about Yazidi women enslaved by Isis

PS it's an eclectic mix because voters are put into groups, which are then allocated a group of films to watch. This is to ensure than smaller titles get seen, not just those with big campaigns. I probably wouldn't have watched Sabaya, for instance. Not sure when I would have got to Petite Maman but it was in my group, luckily.

therattle fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 6, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If only lovely American anti-vaxers were only contained in America and that bullshit didn't propagate world wide...

Baron von Eevl posted:

One of my favourite bits of Portlandia is having Jello Biafra playing a punk from the 80s who wakes up from a coma in the present day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Saw this in PYF Tweets but it deserves to be highlighted here:

https://twitter.com/Doug_Tilley/status/1465000536139304964

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gripweed posted:

Because M Emmett Walsh has never been young?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

arlington road plot kinda blows but like on mothman prophecies the director really knows how to dial in the creepy, wondering if that's due to him being a music video director from the 90s but it rules

Yes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

Well it's not a binary thing where I'm stuck between trusting the CiA or my hippie friend who believes they have moon bases on the dark side.

It's definitely more useful to learn how to read for bias and account for limitations in a pov (mainstream or fringe) than to worry too much over how trustworthy the source is at all times. Gotta learn to trust the authority of your own perspective.

Do witches still get a bad rap? I think they're rep is on the up

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/1461565715173969923

CPL593H posted:

JP 3 is also a huge pile of garbage and is very obviously a bunch of unused ideas from the first two movies cobbled together into a mediocre slurry. A lot of people argue with me about this but even the Lost World is just alright. It's not really bad for anything and it has one really good scene but if I never saw it again I wouldn't be that upset about it.
JP3 was bad enough that I can't get mad at the Jurassic World series. They do need to bring Sam Neil and Laura Dern back for a cameo after having BD Wong and Jeff Goldblum, though.

Lost World is a real sharp dropoff from JP but at least it still has some great Spielberg going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I like all the Jurassic Park films. I understand this isn't a popular position. But the sequels have a fun "oh I just found a dinosaur film while switching channels" energy, and The Lost World has a wonderful atmosphere, if not script.