Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gotta be honest, during the ruined city sequence I was mainly thinking about how great Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Watched the Godfather Part 2 with parents. Cooked parmesan crusted chicken, bucatini with red pepper cream sauce, and had an Italian red wine. A good evening, a great movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
1917 is better than Dunkirk

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

1917 is better than Dunkirk

Pah. I never felt like I was in the story. Chapman in particular was wholly unconvincing. The artful lighting and production design made the whole thing feel like a triumph of aesthetics with not an iota of real feeling in the whole piece. It's a dead film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

therattle posted:

Pah. I never felt like I was in the story. Chapman in particular was wholly unconvincing. The artful lighting and production design made the whole thing feel like a triumph of aesthetics with not an iota of real feeling in the whole piece. It's a dead film.

Looking really cool is a perfectly valid objective for a movie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Looking really cool is a perfectly valid objective for a movie.

It’s AN objective. It shouldn’t be the only objective and I don’t believe it was the only objective of 1917.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

therattle posted:

It’s AN objective. It shouldn’t be the only objective

Yeah it can.

and "being extremely tired" is a real feeling and a perfectly valid thing to communicate with a film.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it can.

and "being extremely tired" is a real feeling and a perfectly valid thing to communicate with a film.

I don't know any great films that were made solely to look cool. And as for 1917, it was definitely not his intention to just tell a war film that looked great, or to convey being extremely tired (not sure what the relevance of that is). He was trying to tell a very personal story inspired by his grandfather, and to convey the horror of war in a modern way. In my view he failed, and not by a bit either. For all the muck and mud and rats, it felt sterile.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1917 is pretty good but it has a couple of “R LADS” moments that I really don’t like and the scene with the woman and kid was corny as hell

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
1917 had a comprehensible plot, it’s basically a road trip movie.

Maybe it’s just because Tenet really soured me on Nolan, Dunkirk was just incomprehensible, just a bunch of angular white boys who all look the same.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

feedmyleg posted:

I always find it interesting to be able to identify the moment you get totally sick of a meme you once enjoyed, just due to pure oversaturation. Au revoir, Anakin and Padme in a Field.

https://twitter.com/alexnichols11/status/1404163939110244356?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

therattle posted:

I don't know any great films that were made solely to look cool. And as for 1917, it was definitely not his intention to just tell a war film that looked great, or to convey being extremely tired (not sure what the relevance of that is). He was trying to tell a very personal story inspired by his grandfather, and to convey the horror of war in a modern way. In my view he failed, and not by a bit either. For all the muck and mud and rats, it felt sterile.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right movie? I'm not sure how anyone could be "not sure what the relevance of [being extremely tied] is" to 1917.

I don't know about his intention, but 1917 is absolutely a fantastic movie about being very tired. We follow this guy throughout the afternoon and night into the next morning. At first everything is normal and looks real, but once we get deep into the night he's started to get a bit loopy and everything gets weirdly dramatic and dreamlike, and then once the sun comes up it's way too bright and stuff seems bleached out and weird. That is a journey that anyone who has inadvisably stayed up all night can understand.

Especially the little details like when he sits down and doesn't sleep but just kinda zones out for a minute, or when people are telling him to get something to eat and he's like "no I gotta do a thing", those moments are very true to the experience of being very tired.

1917 looks great and is one of the best representations of a certain kind of feeling, being very tired, that I have ever seen. If you think that looking great and conveying a feeling aren't enough for a movie, then fine, but I disagree.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coffee And Pie posted:

1917 had a comprehensible plot, it’s basically a road trip movie.

Maybe it’s just because Tenet really soured me on Nolan, Dunkirk was just incomprehensible, just a bunch of angular white boys who all look the same.

oh yeah that was an issue with 1917 too lol. "You'll know my brother, he looks like me" mate they all look like you.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dunkirk was a neat toy, but it's not a good movie. It's a cool gimmick to experience once, but I have zero desire to ever engage with it again.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dunkirk is prob the only movie of his I have any desire to see more than once.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The best part of Dunkirk was the meme of people watching it on improbably small devices

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of the right movie? I'm not sure how anyone could be "not sure what the relevance of [being extremely tied] is" to 1917.

I don't know about his intention, but 1917 is absolutely a fantastic movie about being very tired. We follow this guy throughout the afternoon and night into the next morning. At first everything is normal and looks real, but once we get deep into the night he's started to get a bit loopy and everything gets weirdly dramatic and dreamlike, and then once the sun comes up it's way too bright and stuff seems bleached out and weird. That is a journey that anyone who has inadvisably stayed up all night can understand.

Especially the little details like when he sits down and doesn't sleep but just kinda zones out for a minute, or when people are telling him to get something to eat and he's like "no I gotta do a thing", those moments are very true to the experience of being very tired.

1917 looks great and is one of the best representations of a certain kind of feeling, being very tired, that I have ever seen. If you think that looking great and conveying a feeling aren't enough for a movie, then fine, but I disagree.

Re tired, I get your point; I just wasn't sure where it came from as you hadn't mentioned it previously. I don't disagree, but the movie just failed to engage me. Not just a little, but almost wholly, to a degree that is unusual. Your experience was obviously completely different*.

* and wrong.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 14, 2021

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There’s a lot of video games out there that are obviously trying to be movies, but 1917 is one of the few movies I can think of that feels more like a video game. It really felt like I was watching the cutscenes from some sort of “serious” war game. It was just weird. I bet it would make a fun game though, or better than the mediocre movie it is anyway.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/tombobryk/status/1402785596712628233

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

1917 was a dope theme park ride

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This ad came up in my Facebook feed and I'm just so baffled that I needed to share this with people.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/JoeOtterson/status/1404495349520244736?s=19

https://twitter.com/MannFacts/status/1404536975948910598?s=19

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 14, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm still baffled by that. Why not just get Richard Kind? He's younger than my dad, it's not like he's retired from acting.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm still baffled by that. Why not just get Richard Kind?
A question I ask quite frequently.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

To play a villain? He's too Kind.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I'm still baffled by that. Why not just get Richard Kind? He's younger than my dad, it's not like he's retired from acting.

I was legitimately annoyed when I found out we weren't getting Hot Penguin lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vincent posted:

To play a villain? He's too Kind.

Puns aside, pretty much. I can only see him as someone well-meaning but imposing, someone you want to like but he's maybe just a little too annoying. I don't think I can imagine him as a ruthless ganglord.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hathaway is out on bluray in Japan and people are posting screencaps online and I'm losing my poo poo. Hurry up and release this already, Netflix!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Dunkirk was a neat toy, but it's not a good movie. It's a cool gimmick to experience once, but I have zero desire to ever engage with it again.

This yeah.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. An enjoyable movie and I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic. Doing some reading shows it wasn't exactly a box office smash when it came out, and it's expensive, so a sequel seems unlikely? Shame, it seemed like a fun world to build upon.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Because then you'd have to cast Larry David as Batman.

Wait, gently caress, I just made the idea even better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. An enjoyable movie and I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic. Doing some reading shows it wasn't exactly a box office smash when it came out, and it's expensive, so a sequel seems unlikely? Shame, it seemed like a fun world to build upon.

There's one in the works because it did well enough overseas, but Blunt recently was skeptical of them being able to make schedules work out anytime soon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

What else could you really do with it. The story pretty neatly wraps up.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

What else could you really do with it. The story pretty neatly wraps up.

Action figures for adults

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Action figures for adults

Yeah what kind of loser would be an adult with action figures!

Not me. Definitely not me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just spent a hundo on a miles morals toy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Better get some nice photos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eventually! I’m a bit busy tho right now. So it may have to wait until later in the year to do any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not a fancypants millionaire like you so I've been trying to find the Marvel Legends Spider-Verse Miles figure instead of that one but apparently so has anyone else on Earth so I just can't find it. But I thought about it and that's probably for the best. I did get Peter B. Parker from that line because why would I not?