Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wanna be vague because I don't know how much of this is out there, and it's mostly just normal Hollywood stuff but still.

My friend co-created and co-owned an IP that Guillermo was interested in optioning, they had a breakfast meeting to discuss it (GDT ordered Huevos Rancheros btw), he was super friendly and seemed very excited about it. Turns out he was only optioning it because it was a cheap property and he wanted to put pressure on someone else who owned another, vaguely similar thing he wanted to option and he had no interest in adapting their property. He got a free breakfast, meet n greet, and a couple thousand bucks out of it but there was like 2 years of being led on followed by severe disappointment. He ended up feeling that while GDT came off as very nice it was all disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I remember Cameron writing an op-Ed piece that was all about making GBS threads on Kenneth Turan because Turan wasn’t impressed with Titanic, lol. He called for Turan to be fired because he “hated the simple joy of going to the movies” or something similar. This was after Titanic became the highest-grossing film of all time, iirc.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Ford apparently gave John Wayne a ton of poo poo for not fighting in WW2, so he's cool in my book.

He didn't want to fight because he had too much respect for the other side.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Cameo posted:

Lynch is famously nice and funny, Tarantino and Spielberg are always very excited about movies and are infectious about it, Snyder is nice and learns seemingly every single person’s name on set from every extra all the way up, The Coens are nice but anal-retentive about their scripts to the point where - I forget who told this story - they walked up to one of the actors during a shoot and was like “you said this line with a comma in the middle, it’s actually two sentences and should be said that way.”
Actor responds, “Oh, I thought it was a typo.”
We don’t have typos.” And the Coen walked away.

Guillermo is a guy people love, too. I think it was John Hurt who described as “he has to be such a large man because it’s the only size that could fit the amount of love he has.” And the actress playing little girl Mako deciding she’d call him Totoro because she couldn’t say Guillermo and him just being over the moon about it.

Cronenberg is another nice guy. But he’s Canadian, so you expect it.

And there aren’t any real stories out there, but it seems pretty obvious that Justin Lin is loved by the Fast cast since he’ll have done half or more than half the drat franchise by the time they wrap up the Toretto Saga.

Would this be Nicolas Cage? I seem to remember Cage explaining that he didn't work with the Coens after Raising Arizona because they needed what happened to be exactly as they wanted it, which left him no room to be Nic Cage about things.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hand Knit posted:

Would this be Nicolas Cage? I seem to remember Cage explaining that he didn't work with the Coens after Raising Arizona because they needed what happened to be exactly as they wanted it, which left him no room to be Nic Cage about things.

That specific story was Peter Stormare in Fargo.

The scene in question is the one where he says "Where is Pancake's House?" And he changed it to "Where is the pancake House?" Because he thought the lack of a the was a mistake in the script.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

...the fuzziest people alive?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

He didn't want to fight because he had too much respect for the other side.

I enjoyed this.

Dunking on John Wayne is encouraged in my world.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

...the fuzziest people alive?

Copy editor probably thought “scuzziest” was a misspelling or something

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Well, they did believe in full bush in the 70s, so maybe they really did mean the fuzziest

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Today I learned that there's a film called The Magic Christian starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr. Guess I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Samuel Clemens posted:

Today I learned that there's a film called The Magic Christian starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr. Guess I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

that movie kicks so much rear end. It's baffling to me that it's so obscure. It also has one of the best taglines ever

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
We’re staying in a hotel and the tv has that lovely motion smoothing thing turned on, but the software suite they’ve installed won’t let you change any settings at all.

This might kill our normal tradition of finding the dumbest movie we can during hotel stays before we go to bed.

Who is this even for?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The olds

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Geekboy posted:

Who is this even for?

Sports.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There is a documentary about the producer I used to work for, which is showing in Cannes (appropriately, as it's his spiritual home):

https://deadline.com/video/jeremy-thomas-mark-cousins-cannes-documentary/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This thread often references Burn After Reading as a great comedy. I really didn't like it when I first saw it (perhaps my expectations were too high), but I recently re-watched it and really enjoyed it. Stacked cast, as always, having a terrific time, I imagine.

I just saw Babyteeth, Shannon Murphy's debut. Really, really good. Well worth watching, beautifully directed and acted, some lovely writing, a real artistry and lightness of touch. Excellent music too.

Have any of you watched Small Axe, the Steve McQueen series? We have watched three of the five (The Mangrove, Lovers Rock, and Education), and they are amazing. McQueen must be the best British director around (or one of them at least), and he is dealing with a subject matter that is evidently close to his heart and that of his extraordinary cast, so you get a real sense of depth, feeling, commitment and and sincerity, executed with his skill and craft. The Mangrove bears numerous parallels to the Trial of the Chicago 7 (which I liked), but it better in pretty much every respect. They are must-sees, I think.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Promare kicks rear end

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm firmly anti-mare

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm firmly anti-mare

If you enjoyed the unique and dynamic animation of Into The Spider-Verse but wished that the animation was more abstract and the movie was a non-stop over the top action spectacle instead of a superhero story, Promare is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1z8XFR3nNg

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Splint Chesthair posted:

I remember Cameron writing an op-Ed piece that was all about making GBS threads on Kenneth Turan because Turan wasn’t impressed with Titanic, lol. He called for Turan to be fired because he “hated the simple joy of going to the movies” or something similar. This was after Titanic became the highest-grossing film of all time, iirc.

To this day dunking on Cameron for his filmmaking is a thing despite like, him being Cameron. Everyone remember those months of articles about Titanic costing more to make than the ship itself did, or the gigantic water tank, or the crew all catching pneumonia.

And then the movie stayed in movie theaters for like 20 months or something.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That specific story was Peter Stormare in Fargo.

The scene in question is the one where he says "Where is Pancake's House?" And he changed it to "Where is the pancake House?" Because he thought the lack of a the was a mistake in the script.

Notice Lllewyn does not have a cat with him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's a great touch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Crosspost from TVIV just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOAA1U0li8

On one hand, this looks absolutely nothing like Foundation. On the other hand, this looks like a show I really, really want to watch.

PeterCat posted:

The Coens claim that the cat thing was a total coincidence. But who knows, that might be some self-mythologizing.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PeterCat posted:

that's crazy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly kinda weird to have an Asimov adaptation with no robots highlighted.

Though every goddamn trailer is the same for the last decade.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly kinda weird to have an Asimov adaptation with no robots highlighted.

Though every goddamn trailer is the same for the last decade.

This is an adaptation of Foundation, not his robot books

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Until much much later, anyway

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

To this day dunking on Cameron for his filmmaking is a thing despite like, him being Cameron. Everyone remember those months of articles about Titanic costing more to make than the ship itself did, or the gigantic water tank, or the crew all catching pneumonia.

And then the movie stayed in movie theaters for like 20 months or something.

I fully expect each Avatar sequel to be the highest grossing movie ever made at least once. Eventually he's going to fail but I don't know how you can bet against Cameron after what he's done.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

It looks more like an adaptation of prelude to foundation, maybe of those guys is secretly R Daneel Olivaw after all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm actually intrigued by the Avatar sequels, despite really not liking the first film. As has been discussed to death, the story was just such a tired white savior riff that brought nothing new to the table. But with that out of the way the subsequent movies can just be whatever big nutty space movies Cameron can cook up. The tech opens it up to explore the sorts of inter-solar sci-fi books that haven't really made their way on screen yet.

I still hate the navi design, though. Hopefully they'll tweak them a bit to make them look slightly less like derpy cats.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Foundation trailer looks decent. That part of the book is heavily abstracted (honestly a lot of the book as a whole is) so there's definitely room for interpretation.

Granted it's still not enough for me to buy another subscription.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Foundation trailer looks decent. That part of the book is heavily abstracted (honestly a lot of the book as a whole is) so there's definitely room for interpretation.

Granted it's still not enough for me to buy another subscription.

Netflix ... ✅
Disney+ ... ❎
HBOMax ... ❎
Youtube ... ❎
Paramount ... ❎
Peacock ... ❎
AppleTV ... ❎

This ain't sustainable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Rent: 1200
Food: 800
Streaming: 3000
Utilities: 250

Someone help my family is starving

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Get a cheaper flat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Netflix ... ✅
Disney+ ... ❎
HBOMax ... ❎
Youtube ... ❎
Paramount ... ❎
Peacock ... ❎
AppleTV ... ❎

This ain't sustainable.

i can find enough garbage to watch on youtube without needing the rest

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just subscribe when a new good thing comes out, unsubscribe, and watch whatever other decent stuff is on the service before your month runs out.

Speaking of which, is there any decent stuff on Netflix? I just subscribed for Godzilla SP and Hathaway

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i can find enough garbage to watch on youtube without needing the rest

I caved and bought YouTube premium recently, their ads got too obnoxious and I realized I could cut HBO pretty easily instead. I'm thinking a bout just doing YT and Netflix, which I would also cut if my family didn't all use my account.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
HBO max has a good chunk of TCM stuff and is really your only option for Studio Ghibli in the US beyond physical media. I keep it around for that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

HBO max has a good chunk of TCM stuff and is really your only option for Studio Ghibli in the US beyond physical media. I keep it around for that.

If you really like all of them enough to subscribe to a service it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy copies. It's like, what, 20 movies? If that, since I don't think anyone even likes all the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I genuinely can't tell if that is a joke post or not.