Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the central thesis of It is "What's with all the 50s Nostalgia? Were you even there it was super hosed up, man."

A decade has to be hosed up to create a guy like Stephen King. I mean have you SEEN the way the man spells cemetery? Total whacko.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Super loving weird, not as bad as what I've heard about the sewer scene.

The girl from the sewer is also observing the JO stuff from her hiding spot terrified at what'll happen if they find her.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Klowner posted:

Wow! I just want to die!

Maybe the refreshing taste of the new Coca Cola with Coffee will make you feel better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E: Yeah you know what, this is a horrible topic of discussion.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 20, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Can we just not?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read It and this is the first time I've heard about the circle jerk, but I'd previously heard of the underage sewer sex, and that had previously been described as a rape scene (I haven't read it, so I don't know if that's an accurate description), which the raunchy CW shows either don't have or are portrayed very differently than the other sex scenes.

It’s not a rape scene, Beverly realizes the way to bring the Losers together one last time to overcome It’s influence is to have sex with them. It’s not a gangbang or orgy vibe, it’s part of It’s whole deal with aging and the gap between childhood and adulthood, and for a lot of people the discovery of sex is a pretty big mark of growing up. I get what King was going for with it and he could have written around it and still gotten the point across, but there’s a lot of willful misinterpretation about it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s not a rape scene, Beverly realizes the way to bring the Losers together one last time to overcome It’s influence is to have sex with them. It’s not a gangbang or orgy vibe, it’s part of It’s whole deal with aging and the gap between childhood and adulthood, and for a lot of people the discovery of sex is a pretty big mark of growing up. I get what King was going for with it and he could have written around it and still gotten the point across, but there’s a lot of willful misinterpretation about it.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

It sure is. Keep in mind, the same year It came out, King also unleashed Maximum Overdrive. He said he had no clue what he was doing because he was coked up the whole time he directed it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Okay, that still sounds gross and icky and unnecessary in a book about children fighting a clown monster, but way better than what I'd pictured.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It sure is. Keep in mind, the same year It came out, King also unleashed Maximum Overdrive. He said he had no clue what he was doing because he was coked up the whole time he directed it.

Based on the results, we need to get more cocaine back into Hollywood

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

Okay, that still sounds gross and icky and unnecessary in a book about children fighting a clown monster, but way better than what I'd pictured.

It can’t escape the weirdness of an adult man writing about a bunch of pre-teens having sex, but there’s more going on with it than just a sex scene. Just like how It itself is more than just a book about kids fighting a clown monster. Pennywise is shown as not just an evil clown, but as a stand-in for the evils baked into American society via the everytown of Derry, Maine. It’s shown as having a hand in poo poo like a northern offshoot of the Klan burning down a Black nightclub, an abusive father creeping on his own daughter, a homophobic hate crime, and more. It’s a really drat good book and among the best King work I’ve read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There is (and this is not a dig at anyone in this thread, ya'll are in general pretty good about not doing this and I haven't seen anyone do this at all in regards to It specifically) a tendency in criticism in general of mistaking media depicting a thing as endorsing it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I gotta be honest though if Beverly witnessed the head bully get a handjob from the other bully I really can't imagine that's something you'd forget.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh I know. My favorite Stephen King thing is that trailer for Maximum Overdrive where you can tell he's coked out of his goddamn mind and it's mostly just him talking about the movie complete with music from Halloween III. Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXRKIUWnqw

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Skwirl posted:

There is (and this is not a dig at anyone in this thread, ya'll are in general pretty good about not doing this and I haven't seen anyone do this at all in regards to It specifically) a tendency in criticism in general of mistaking media depicting a thing as endorsing it.

Man, I can't believe forums user Skwirl thinks that critics ought to interpret depiction as endorsement.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kazzah posted:

Man, I can't believe forums user Skwirl thinks that critics ought to interpret depiction as endorsement.

It's always funny when someone I don't know has a beef with me over something I don't remember, but I was trying to say depiction isn't necessarily endorsement. I do apologize if I was unclear on that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Your post depicted some critics as interpreting depiction as endorsement

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kazzah posted:

Your post depicted some critics as interpreting depiction as endorsement

Yeah, that sometimes happens.

Films depict a lot of things, sometimes they depict things the filmmaker thinks are good, sometimes the depict things the filmmaker thinks are bad. Sometimes a filmmaker depicts something they think is bad but people watching it think the filmmaker thinks it's bad and that can either be because the film isn't well made or the person viewing it misinterpreted something. This also applies to books, songs, television any other media.

Just PM me with whatever your loving beef is or drop it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure they're just making a joke and not actually looking to settle some weird grudge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

I'm pretty sure they're just making a joke and not actually looking to settle some weird grudge.

This will be the last time I'll bring it up but starting a post with

Kazzah posted:

Man, I can't believe forums user Skwirl

makes it seem personal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

makes it seem personal.

Forget it, Skwirl, it’s CineD.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Forget it, Skwirl, it’s CineD.

Man, I can't believe forums user therattle would say something that's the complete opposite of what I just quoted.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Skwirl posted:

makes it seem personal.

Your post depicted (but did not endorse) critics who interpret depiction as endorsement.

Humorously, forum user Kazzah pretended to interpret your post as an endorsement of those critics.

Everything is chill and good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was a good joke tbh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Man, I can't believe forums user therattle would say something that's the complete opposite of what I just quoted.

If you’ve got a beef with me send me a telegram and we’ll arrange a duel.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
THERATTLE STOP

UR MOM LOL STOP

SAY THAT TO MY FACE NOT ONLINE STOP

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

Oh I know. My favorite Stephen King thing is that trailer for Maximum Overdrive where you can tell he's coked out of his goddamn mind and it's mostly just him talking about the movie complete with music from Halloween III. Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXRKIUWnqw

I love that trailer so much, especially King saying “if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.” Like Stanley Kubrick, Tobe Hooper, David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, and Brian De Palma weren’t good enough to make Stephen King movies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CPL593H posted:

Maybe the refreshing taste of the new Coca Cola with Coffee will make you feel better.

God, I remember seeing an ad for Coke from the fifties or thereabouts, and the selling point was "Nothing beats a cold winters day like a nice hot steaming cup of Coke."

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hot Dr Pepper is, or at least was, a regional preference in the American South.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Terra Formars is a very silly movie I think some of you will enjoy. Or hate. Or both.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

Terra Formars is a very silly movie I think some of you will enjoy. Or hate. Or both.

How does it integrate the explanation of animal abilities? Is it in dialogue or does it have little documentary cutaways?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

How does it integrate the explanation of animal abilities? Is it in dialogue or does it have little documentary cutaways?

Cutaways with narration about the bug ability

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

Cutaways with narration about the bug ability

Sold.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

THERATTLE STOP

UR MOM LOL STOP

SAY THAT TO MY FACE NOT ONLINE STOP

STOP STOP

Davros1 posted:

God, I remember seeing an ad for Coke from the fifties or thereabouts, and the selling point was "Nothing beats a cold winters day like a nice hot steaming cup of Coke."

I feel the same about gravy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anonymous Robot posted:

I grew up in Texas and I’ve never encountered this in real life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

As if I needed more reasons to dislike the south

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think what happened here is, somewhat told you a very obvious lie as a joke, but you just believed it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo?

Anonymous Robot posted:

This makes more sense because it's the south.

Gripweed posted:

I think what happened here is, somewhat told you a very obvious lie as a joke, but you just believed it.

How can you even tell at this point?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I am a huge fan of Dr. Pepper and willing to try the hot version and report back. Please someone with insider knowledge let me know the optimal temperature, I want to give this experiment a fair attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gripweed posted: