Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I read Left Hand quite recently and loved it. The Dispossessed is waiting on my shelf. I recently read NK Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy, which was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I fell off DIE. I just don't care that much about D&D! Sorry Mr Gillen :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Every single comic published today is available digitally and you can get a subscription service for the big two and read every new comic 3-6 months after it was published?

Yes but that should've been the case 10+ years ago. It took them so loving long.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

good comics criticism!

Lurdiak posted:

Yes but that should've been the case 10+ years ago. It took them so loving long.

The big two have had digital editions for about a decade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, gently caress, I remember buying a set of cds that had every issue of Amazing Spider-Man from the first up until like 2002.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Don't know if this belongs in here or in RGD (topic vs format), but are there any decent podcast (or more specifically podcast episodes) that cover The Blair Witch Project? Insomnia provided me the opportunity to Netflix it and I guess I'm on a mild BWP kick.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always thought The Nutty Professor 96 was a children's movie but laffo it is far from that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I always thought The Nutty Professor 96 was a children's movie but laffo it is far from that.

The Eddie Murphy one? I haven't seen it since the 90s but I'm unable to think of anything inappropriate for a 12 year old.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a couple N bombs and lots of cum jokes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a couple N bombs and lots of cum jokes

Yeah, still not seeing the problem.

Obviously, assuming you're white and your kid is white you have to explain to a kid why they can't repeat the jokes with n bombs at school. But I think by 12 they'd know that through cultural osmosis.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I loved the Nutty Professor when I was six. I didn't even find out about the original film until I was a teenager.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There had been some rumours going around for a while but...

https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1390739401278431233?s=19

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
yikesaroonie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't know why so many people defend Farrakhan seeing as he was probably directly involved in having Malcolm X killed for converting to actual Islam.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't know why so many people defend Farrakhan seeing as he was probably directly involved in having Malcolm X killed for converting to actual Islam.

He loving admitted to it too. Like saying "someone should 'take care' of him." and then being shocked that was interpreted as a kill order. Because he apparently never watched a crime film ever..

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

lots of cum jokes

The movie is literally called The Nutty Professor.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

There had been some rumours going around for a while but...

https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1390739401278431233?s=19

At this point I think the only pure souls in the entertainment industry are Weird Al Yankovic, Keanu Reeves, and Guy Fieri.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

till you find out what "taking someone to flavor town" is really code for

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CPL593H posted:

At this point I think the only pure souls in the entertainment industry are Weird Al Yankovic, Keanu Reeves, and Guy Fieri.

Zack Snyder.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Love Le Guin, but it’s funny to see how she went from like the sci fi author that “people who aren’t nerds” read, to the focal point of an entire nerd subculture.

We've been reading Catwings to my 4 year old and she's enthralled. They're not exactly genius on the level of Le Guin's other work but I always appreciate it when an author has that broad of a selection of work.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Baron von Eevl posted:

We've been reading Catwings to my 4 year old and she's enthralled. They're not exactly genius on the level of Le Guin's other work but I always appreciate it when an author has that broad of a selection of work.

I haven't read it but I can imagine Le Guin wrote great stuff for kids. There is a wholesomeness that pervades her work, a faith in humanity. Even when she writes something like the scene X-Ray Pecs alluded to, it's never salacious or cruel, it comes from a genuinely philanthropic outlook and real horror at what society can lead people to do. She's an honest, heartfelt writer, and has the sense not to offer any clear answers.

CPL593H posted:

I'd heard the book was all kinds of stuff about defying gender but I was disappointed because the book doesn't really do all that much with it and every character is still referred to as male.

She wrote it over 50 years ago, when the mere presentation of an alternative to traditional gender roles, even in fiction, was a bold act.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They're gonna reboot Faces of Death into a PG-13 Blumhouse spookshow for The Kids and that's loving hilarious.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

They're gonna reboot Faces of Death into a PG-13 Blumhouse spookshow for The Kids and that's loving hilarious.

Uhhhhh, what?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Faces of Death Cinematic Universe is their stated goals the specifics are yet to be released.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Uhhhhh, what?
The dudes who directed Cam are rebooting Faces of Death:

quote:

“The new plot revolves around a female moderator of a YouTube-like website, whose job is to weed out offensive and violent content and who herself is recovering from a serious trauma, that stumbles across a group that is recreating the murders from the original film. But in the story primed for the digital age and age of online misinformation, the question faced is are the murders real or fake?”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How do you reboot Faces of Death? I thought those videos were a mixture of short clip of people actually being killed and videos that look like people being killed?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Most of OG Faces of Death is fake but that sort of stuff was hard to verify back in the day so a lot of people assumed it was all real because why would anyone lie on videotape?

I haven't seen it myself but I'm told there's some real animal cruelty thrown in with the staged gore stuff.

But yeah it was basically rotten.com/liveleak for the video age.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Most of OG Faces of Death is fake but that sort of stuff was hard to verify back in the day so a lot of people assumed it was all real because why would anyone lie on videotape?

I haven't seen it myself but I'm told there's some real animal cruelty thrown in with the staged gore stuff.

But yeah it was basically rotten.com/liveleak for the video age.

I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, the animal cruelty is why I didn't revisit it. But I think they had the Bud Dwyer suicide too

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, there are definitely some real deaths from civil wars and stuff mixed into that footage. Footage from “Africa Addio” if I remember correctly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's actually a pretty interesting concept that's probably going to have a mediocre execution and go straight to Netflix.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CPL593H posted:

That's actually a pretty interesting concept that's probably going to have a mediocre execution and go straight to Netflix.

It’s half an interesting concept, because those content-moderation businesses really do exist and they’re very hosed up.

Like, it turns out that paying people a bit higher than minimum wage to absorb the absolute worst content on the internet actually causes mental illness. The companies are very covert about what you’re signing up for, but the interview process might involve such as showing the candidate execution videos to see if they can “handle it”. Then they’ll spend the workday doing that, nonstop.

It’s pretty well known that people doing this job tend to become radicalized by what they are censoring: right wing conspiracy theories, white supremacist propaganda, etc.

In effect, you’re getting paid not enough to endure emotional/psychological torture and brainwashing.

So it’s some gross poo poo - but tacking it to a gimmick franchise and doing a “what is reality???” thing with murderous art-criminals is just lame.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s half an interesting concept, because those content-moderation businesses really do exist and they’re very hosed up.

Like, it turns out that paying people a bit higher than minimum wage to absorb the absolute worst content on the internet actually causes mental illness. The companies are very covert about what you’re signing up for, but the interview process might involve such as showing the candidate execution videos to see if they can “handle it”. Then they’ll spend the workday doing that, nonstop.

It’s pretty well known that people doing this job tend to become radicalized by what they are censoring: right wing conspiracy theories, white supremacist propaganda, etc.

In effect, you’re getting paid not enough to endure emotional/psychological torture and brainwashing.

So it’s some gross poo poo - but tacking it to a gimmick franchise and doing a “what is reality???” thing with murderous art-criminals is just lame.

Well that sounds horrible and makes the movie sound not cool at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CPL593H posted:

Well that sounds horrible and makes the movie sound not cool at all.

It’s totally something that you could explore, but it sounds like they’re repeating the Cam thing where they present an authentic online workplace as a setting, and then undermine it with a very half-baked sci-fi narrative.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This thread talking about how they keep up with all these indie books by well regarded creators and I'm the dumbass still buying and reading Marvel and DC books.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roth posted:

This thread talking about how they keep up with all these indie books by well regarded creators and I'm the dumbass still buying and reading Marvel and DC books.

Well in fairness creator owned books almost always have long hiatuses so it's a double edged sword. But I just don't read any superhero books because I'm sick of superheroes and the big two just keeps rehashing the same stories they've been rehashing since the 80s. My list got so much small when I cut out big two stuff and I'm so much better off for it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Roth posted:

Like what you like, I'm not here to judge

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Coaaab posted:

Same.

Everyone read more comics!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coaaab posted:

That too. I'm not really like "People who like big two books are laaaaaaaaaaaaame.". I'm just tired of them and there are too many. I've been reading comic books since I was a teenager so I've just kind of come to the end of that road. Plus I always liked the more offbeat stuff like The Goon or Flaming Carrot or horror books. Right now I'm reading the old Steve Gerber run of Man-Thing from the 70s and it's really good. Howard the Duck was also spun off from it and that series is just an all timer for me. Most people just associate Howard the Duck with the movie so when I recommend it people just think it's second rate trash. But the original Steve Gerber series is one of the medium's seminal works and anyone who likes comic books should read it. It's really out there. The big two were definitely not making anything else like that at the time and really haven't in the years since.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve Gerber might be the most underrated comic book talent ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Steve Gerber might be the most underrated comic book talent ever.

Oh absolutely. Even among comic book nerds he doesn't really get his due and Howard the Duck is criminally ignored. Marvel was doing cooler stuff in the 70s than they are now and it seems like they took more chances on the weirder kind of poo poo.