Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Sorry to hear that Lurdiak, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I appreciate everyone congratulating Debbie Does Dagon and MacheteZombie on their new stardom as CineD Mods.

This is gonna be a little transition period, as I plan to step own as CineD Mod once they're comfortable with the positions.

There's nothing in my personal life that I have to take care of; no forums drama has scared me off; I'm mentally and physically fine. I just know that, like any other elected position, there should be turnover to keep things fresh and moving in a positive, progressive way.

I have really enjoyed being CineD mod, through the bad and good. It's been an interesting, helluva run. I want to thank anyone and everyone who took the time to write me a kind or supportive PM or helped me out. I hope you continue to show the same support--or more!--to DDD and MZ.

I plan to stick around CineD, the SA forums, so there's no goodbyes needed. I plan to keep running some of the Horror Challenge threads, and I'll probably assist with trying to make Movie of the Month catch on more (this month is Crumb, and it rules!). And I'll also be around in the discord still.

Thanks for trusting me to mod for as long as I did!

You've been a great mod Fran, thanks for keeping things going around here!

And congrats to the new mods!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Somebody uploaded the original pilot to Mulholland Drive to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7c2OH18tk

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Wowie. I can't tell because the quality is so so-so and I don't have a copy of the movie to compare: is this the footage that eventually got edited to make the movie, or did he just start again from scratch?

I think it's mostly the same footage but I haven't seen the film in awhile so it's tough to directly compare. I've also only had the chance to skim through it a bit, stopping at the stuff that's more clearly different than the release film.

It seems like the biggest additions from the pilot was the Winkie's scene and everything that happens after Laura Harring changes her hair. One of the longer deleted scenes features Robert Forester's character and almost feels like one of his scenes from The Return.

This did remind me of how much I love the bit where the guy spits out the espresso. It's just such a small detail that makes him seem like a real psycho. Lynch is so good at those kinds of moments.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Why ain't thar kissin in movies no more

When Ebert died it was stipulated in his will that films could no longer have even the barest hint of eroticism if he wasn't around to see it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

axelblaze posted:

Hey CineD. Been awhile. Because I believe there are still some people here that care about me I thought I'd share this Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/axleblazeSA/status/1367993839949144064?s=20

I'm glad to see you back!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

My short film somehow got second price at the Icelandic horror film festival:

Next year I plan to hit number one.

That's awesome, congrats!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

The title drop in The Departed will always be funny to me.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it does own that even the title of that movie demands to be said in a bad Boston accent

To this day I will sometimes remember Martin Sheen saying "microprawsessahs" and smile.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Wait, what does this song have to do with Surviving Edged Weapons?

If I'm remembering right, this incredible video was what Dickeye initially found and posted here before the full movie was available on YouTube, so this was everyone's first exposure to SEW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I'd try a Hot Doc.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I really miss going to movie theaters and I'm looking forward to going back to one once it's safe for me to do so.

Most movies are better on a big screen with a full sound system and some films really benefit from seeing them with an audience.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Nowhere did I say they should be shut down, come on. I’m saying the idea being sold of theaters being objectively-better experiences than watching at home, even without thousands invested in your home setup, is sincere but false.

I mean I think it is a better experience even at big chain theaters. I have lived in the Midwest my entire life and mostly only ever had chain theaters to go to and those are still a lot of fun to see a movie at. It's pretty rare for there to be anyone causing any serious disruption in the audience and it's fun to sneak food in if you don't want to overpay for concessions.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

The part in Skull Island where Shea Whigham tries to heroically sacrifice himself complete with dramatic slow motion only to be immediately swatted aside by the monster is a pretty good joke.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

The show was influenced by modern Democrats. Democrats consulted on it. A show about liberalism is going to appeal to liberals.

Saying that it's responsible, or highly influential on the modern Democratic party when this is who the Democratic party has always been is really making this school of criticism sound like a leftist Satanic Panic.

I don't like The West Wind and it's easy to see the way the political stuff in it reflects current day problems in the democratic party but I agree that it's not responsible for it. It's a show influenced by stuff that was already and has remained a problem.

I think a lot of the Chapo/leftist podcast methods of media criticism revolves around watching something they don't like and then basing all criticism around the kind of guy they imagine would like it. This leads to a lot of stuff that is borderline incoherent as criticism as it only allows so much engagement with the material itself before your talking about why This Is Us is a key component of the opioid crisis.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

BRO! You gotta get over here man Bobby just showed up with a couple of kegs and Silence on 4K!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

My dad's side of the family is mostly Midwestern Italians and growing up everyone over 60 all had personal styles similar to the cast of Goodfellas if they were all on tighter budgets. So when I first saw the movie it was pretty hard for me to view anything about the main characters as glamourous because they were all dressed like my senior citizen relatives.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

There’s a Shakespeare adaptation that has a swordfight scene with two stuntmen wearing full plate armor that ends with one of them bludgeoning the other with a log or a piece of lumber. I forget the name though.

That's the ending of Polanski's Macbeth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah, for now all we have is “from the writer of Chaos Walking,” a film that was shelved for almost two years.

It's going to be a prequel starring Tom Holland and he's not going to set foot on a boat until halfway through act 3.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Who are some other directors what are/were giant pissbabies that can't stand anyone even slightly disagreeing with them? It's practically a cliche but none come to mind.

David O Russell, though he's an abusive maniac well beyond just being a baby about people disagreeing with him.

Joss Whedon also threatened to end the careers of multiple actors on the set of Justice League due to the crime of giving him notes.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Something about this is so depressing to me.

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1410351842391904265?s=19

It's a James Bond podcast by people who hate James Bond to an unhealthy degree. Most of their followers are people who haven't seen the Bond movies and don't want to. I don't even care about Bond that much but what even is there to say the twentieth time Bond doesn't treat a woman well.

I've heard of that podcast and I can't imagine it's covering any new ground in terms of criticism of James Bond. There have been parodies of the character's ideology and mannerisms for almost as long as the he's existed.

It's something that could be fun to talk about in a single episode of something but not as the premise for an entire podcast.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Are you talking about the podcast or people who are mad about the podcast?

I'm not mad about the podcast, just saying that it didn't sound interesting to me personally.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Roth posted:

I thought The Matrix sequels were pretty good

I don't think the third one is very good overall but Hugo Weaving chews the scenery so well in it I can't hate it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I read a couple weeks ago that filming for s3 had wrapped, just waiting on that premiere date!

Supposedly September 23!!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I thought the first one was basically fine. The opening where they re-re-reintroduce all of the characters is really weird and clearly something that was a victim of handing the movie off to a trailer company for editing. The middle of the movie is I think pretty good and I like the stuff they do with Waller but then the climax brings it down by being super generic.

There are worse comic book movies. X-Men Apocalypse released that same year and has way more problems imo.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Hi, long-time lurker: Can I talk about how loving frustrating later-day Daniel Day-Lewis was as an actor and how he constantly got in his own way by doing the whole method-acting shtick? Like, without a hint of irony, I think his best role was in Gangs of New York. Like he feels like the living embodiment of Oscar-bait before that had a name.

I like him but a lot of the method-acting stuff he did seemed pretty pointless.

He was apparently a huge rear end in a top hat to Liam Neeson on and off the set of Gangs of New York because their characters are enemies in the movie. I doubt he needed to put in that much work to stay in character for the two lines of dialogue they exchange in their single scene together.

I agree that Gangs of New York is his best performance though. There Will Be Blood is a close second for me and I think that's because similar to his performance in Gangs he's frequently balancing being goofy and being scary in a way that is really compelling to watch.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I Before E posted:

I completely disagree, his work in There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread is phenomenal and I never got the sense that his method stuff was a gimmick for him, at least not as it translated to the actual on screen work.

I really hope if he comes out of retirement that he does something else with PTA. They're a great fit together.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

The new Ghostbusters looks fake, like at any moment the trailer is going to turn into a big budget Superbowl ad for a new kind of Doritos.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Hellraiser is loving great, but in an alternate universe where the movie was loving terrible, I still think Pinhead at least would be iconic.

He's got a fantastic design and Doug Bradley is great but I really wish they'd have stuck with Julia as the main villain for at least one more movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I've only seen Hellraiser and later like half of one of the sequels as a late night Dickstream where I was completely poo poo faced drunk. There was a scene with a bed and a lot of blood I think?

Yeah that's the second one.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gene Hackman owns.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I watched Black Narcissus for the first time last night, what a gorgeous movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gatts posted:

I watched like 2/3s of the way through, I should finish it

I'd recommend it, the last 1/3 has some of the best stuff in the movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

In the event that anyone is interested, I’ve started a little hobby Twitter account collecting screenshots of computer screens in movies and TV shows. I find images of computer screens - both realistic and Hollywoodized absurdities - fascinating and so am trying to show off the diversity and complexity of these images. Open to suggestions, obviously right now a lot of the pics come from movies with computer-heavy themes because those are the ones I know I’m going to find something but will take recommendations from anything.

https://twitter.com/cinemainterface?s=21

https://twitter.com/cinemainterface/status/1431612096442245123?s=21

https://twitter.com/cinemainterface/status/1431623069454503941?s=21

https://twitter.com/cinemainterface/status/1431839494089674755?s=21

https://twitter.com/cinemainterface/status/1431442893114327043?s=21

I have no recommendations but just wanted to say that this rules.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

therattle posted:

A writer approached me on LinkedIn. Among the pitches he has developed are the following:

Beecroft*
- Hag of Beecroft, The
- Vampyre of Beecroft, The
- Rougarou of Beecroft, The
- Boogieman of Beecroft, The
- Fortune Teller of Beecroft, The
Gandhi et al versus Zombies
Three Rememberable Days to Hope
Thunder Lizards of the Bakongo*
War on Terror, The*
- Fine Day for a Beheading, A
- Intifada Joe and the Woo-Woos
Willowborough: Sleep of the Dead*
Neanderthals Didn't Go To Mars

The War on Terror would be a great name for a horror comedy about a bunch of army guys having to spend the night in a haunted house.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

When you say "forced" do you mean at gunpoint or something? Because I would choose death.

I would choose ultra death.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-beachwear form, and says, 'Now, I am become Shorts, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that one way or another."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I will always love him being inexplicably asked to co-host the red carpet show for some YouTube awards ceremony and he showed up in a hoodie and sweatpants.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

You might want to change the subject, but this Simu Liu situation isn't going away. The more people dig into his online history, the worse it gets

https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1438982497123979264?s=19

No joke this is bone chilling.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I don’t give a gently caress about some low-lifes revealing to the world the embarrassing narcissistic borderline psychotic behavior of some nobody actor. The only thing sordid about this is the fact that it’s news. Discuss it if you want, but it’s a little strange considering this whole thread just piled onto some dipshit for doing that very thing a few days ago?

Look I know I said "no joke" but I was in fact joking about liking his own tweets being an actual big deal (but it is definitely super weird) and the original tweet is also clearly saying "huge scandal" in a jokey way. The MRA stuff that Simu Lui has been a part of is obviously the actual bad thing he did that is worth talking about.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

josh04 posted:

not even in the face of armageddon!

Ozymandias dropping a gigantic version of his OC, Alexander the Hedgehog, in the middle of Times Square.