Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

Was Little Women 2020 or late 2019. That was probably the best movie I saw last year, if it doesn't count then I think it defaults to Birds of Prey, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

Yeah, it's beat for beat the exact same story.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

Tanya Roberts is alive again.

What the gently caress?

I mean, good for her, but seriously, what the gently caress?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

So, after her prematurely announced death and retraction yesterday, Tanya Roberts did in fact die today.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tanya-roberts-70s-show-star-dies-65-day-after-her-n1252839

Are they sure this time?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

This goes without saying but there are so many thousands of knuckleheads on YouTube comments.

Yesterday there were dozens of comments with literally thousands of upvotes with the sentiments of "This was a publicity stunt done by the boyfriend!"

I assumed it was a botched murder by her boyfriend.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Why's everyone being so coy about her medical condition, it's gotta be Covid, right.

When her death was first reported they were explicit that it wasn't COVID. They could've been wrong about that too though.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

That's a great way to describe it. It does almost feel like an amateur film made by a seasoned pro. Like if Cronenberg made Scanners today.

I mean, Bringing Out the Dead was directed by Scorsese.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I kinda assumed she just didn't let Harvey Weinstein rape her so she was black listed.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

This comment is a bad comment. The whole concept of rape is the lack of consent and you might not have intended this but the language you're using sounds victim blaming.

Harvey Weinstein tried to do something with her and she said no and through luck, fate or physical ability was able to make that no stick and her reward for that was she had fewer jobs available to her.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Weíre there allegations of HW trying to rape Dunst? Iíd be slightly surprised as she is a-list and most of his victims werenít - he needed that power differential to exploit.

There's reports that her agent warned her against being alone with him, but she hasn't said Weinstein had done anything to her. But he blacklisted Renee Russo and Ashley Judd for turning him down and this list of people who accused him of some sort of misconduct

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Weinstein_sexual_abuse_cases

also includes Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett so I don't think there was anyone who he would have considered too famous to assault.

Edit Jesus: Heather Graham, Salma Hayak, Helena Bonham Carter. Kirsten Dunst is just about the only actress not on there.

Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 9, 2021

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I am that particular broke brain. And I even have HBO Max, which makes it worse. Though I did finally watch Cronos about a week ago and that ruled. But yeah mainly I just don't feel like I can engage with movies so I don't watch them nearly as often.

I'm constantly like "oh, it's two hours I don't have the patience for two hours of a movie" and then binge 3-5 hours of a single tv show.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Hey friendos, do you have any particularly inspirational/insightful quotes from directors you could share? I'm starting to figure out some classroom materials for my new job teaching film and need some film-related wall stuff to hang around, and want to break away from infographics and junk.

I was looking for more horrific Herzog quotes, but I found some that would actually be insightful for amateur filmmakers.

And then if you use a bunch of Herzog quotes, randomly replace one of them with these after a couple weeks and see how long it takes anyone to notice

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Herzog's words are fascinating, but it's the background images that really elevate them to art.

I got them all from here
https://quotes.thefamouspeople.com/werner-herzog-3170.php
there's like another 12

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Hey friendos, do you have any particularly inspirational/insightful quotes from directors you could share? I'm starting to figure out some classroom materials for my new job teaching film and need some film-related wall stuff to hang around, and want to break away from infographics and junk.

What age group are you teaching?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

One of you dweebs will probably know this. Has the Josh Trank cut of Fantastic Four ever been leaked?

The told him to gently caress off before he finished filming.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

I love Vampire$ even if James Woods turned out to be a MAGA lunatic

James Woods being a poo poo head probably bothers me more than any other actor I've found that out about.

whereas

Gripweed posted:

currently losing my poo poo about actual cannibal Armie Hammer

this is literally the first time I've thought about him since Call Me By Your Name got good reviews but still didn't watch it.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

So I had to look this up because . But what it sounds like is he was talking about some weird fetish fantasy stuff and the conversation got leaked. Unless it turns out to be some sort of harassment or the conversation violated someone's consent then who gives a poo poo? It's weird and gross but a lot of people get off to poo poo that's way worse if any of this is even true.

Oh god no, it's so much worse. I'm putting part of it in a spoilered link, because it's honestly a bit disturbing and I don't want it automatically inlined. It's a pattern of both emotional and physical abuse, and there's a lot of texts from a lot of people, so a poo poo ton of people would have to be lying about Armie Hammer for it not be terrible.

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1349764210910261248?s=20

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Oh, okay. gently caress him.

Yeah, obviously the most sensational stuff (cannibal roleplaying over text) is also the most easy to look past, but "there's some there there."

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I don't think telling a woman "I want to kill you and eat you" is roleplaying.

I meant if there wasn't everything else that would be an easy thing to dismiss.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Of course the name thing is true, until this week it was literally the only interesting thing about him.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pospysyl posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but there was some discourse a while ago about how the AI for self driving cars would need to be programmed to solve trolley problems in case the car ever needed to decide whether to crash into a bus full of nuns or a carriage full of kittens.

You just let the algorithm make impossible ethical choices, thus absolving the programmer of any moral accountability.

See also healthcare execs working from home getting COVID vaccines before ER docs and nurses.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The Kanga is not a Metal Gear, as it is not armed with a nuclear warhead.

and before you bring up the Rays, the Rays are Metal Gears because they are called Metal Gears in the game. And the Kanga is never called a Metal Gear, so that doesn't apply either

Metal Gear?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm gonna tell my kids this was Nirvana

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pospysyl posted:

I can't blame anyone for not remembering Airheads

I can and do,

Cacator posted:

Wait, I correctly identified those people?

You should feel ashamed of yourself.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

On the Buscemi tip, doesn't he also have a super hot girlfriend in Airheads? Or is it Sandler's character.

Probably Sandler, though I doubt in real life Buscemi has any trouble pulling.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

I can't imagine what Biden listens to. Probably the same poo poo as Trump, Andrew Lloyd Weber and ABBA and such. Bananarama.

Like boomer dad rock almost certainly, right? What oldies stations played in the 90s.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Operation Gladio by Paul L. Williams

A friend of mine is reading it and sent over that excerpt.

It's about the CIAs operations in Italy and how they financed fascist terrorist groups with drug money. Completely nuts and somehow involves both Frank Sinatra, a kooky far-right Masonic off-shoot, and the Pope.

I need to read it myself.

I would check the sources, I'm not gonna say the CIA wouldn't do that because they definitely would've, I just question their basic competency to be able to claim that kinda death count.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Life is cheap in Sicily.

Outside of when they directly fund foreign militaries they struggle to kill that many people in South America and Africa. I kinda think they'd act a little more cautious in Italy.

Then again it's the CIA "we just spent 4 years and hundreds of thousands of American lives defeating fascism in Italy, we should absolutely try and bring it back immediately, there will be no consequences down the line for us or the country we're supposedly trying to protect" seems like exactly something they would do.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Worst documentary I've ever seen was What the Bleep do we know?

But that one was at least funny because there's a framing fictional narrative with Marlee Matlin that tries to hide the fact that she's deaf and the people I was watching it with got very upset that I "spoiled" it by immediately exclaiming "oh, it's that deaf actress, I love her" when she first appeared.

She's like the most recognizable deaf person in America. She won an Oscar, she was on West Wing and Dancing with the Stars.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Havenít seen this one but knowing itís bad makes it even funnier that the director got easily hoodwinked into the cult from The Vow

I mean, he was hoodwinked by a cult to make What The Bleep, so that's not surprising.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramtha%27s_School_of_Enlightenment

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a version of Enter the Dragon in the original Chinese, i.e. not dubbed? The English dubbed version on Netflix is godawful.

It's not dubbed, it's an American co-production from Warner Brothers, co written by an American. All the sound was recorded later, like how they do with Spaghetti Westerns a lot, which is why it seems dubbed, but it was shot from an English language script.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't seen those two, but The Long Goodbye and The Player are particular favorites.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That kid needs to be in school.

Very rare to be able to say this, but at the moment a TV set is probably safer.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

Are the "Unrated, Extended Cut!" of comedy movies always worse?

Since the plots of most comedies are threadbare enough you could probably cut them even shorter and they'd still be coherent (though often less funny) the extended cuts are almost always adding back in stuff that the director or producer thought was funny, but not as funny as what was in the theatrical release.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Which version of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is the one to watch? HBO Max has the original version and a shorter Director's Cut.

shorter Director's Cut

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wasn't Annie Hall a murder mystery at some point?

Yeah, Manhattan Murder Mystery is basically a remake of Annie Hall if they'd kept the Murder plot.

I loving hate how much I like certain Woody Allen films, given the monster he is.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll be honest, I never understood the freezing people for crime thing. Theoretically they all get unfrozen at some point and for them no time has passed so there's no opportunity for moral reform and in terms of violent criminals, they're just as physically fit as they were before. It's basically punishing them by wasting an afternoon worth of their time.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Demolition Man is worth watching just for Snipes' performance. It's a shame his career just fizzled out in the late 90s because he's fantastic. Though if I recall correctly part of that is he got a bit kooky wacky in the brain.

Blade 1 was 99, he fizzled out in the mid 2000's

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Ref. Great Christmas movie if you can get past Kevin Spacey being in it.

That describes an depressingly large number of classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

WELL ACTUALLY Blade came out in 1998. I don't really recall seeing him in anything after 99-2000ish. It seemed like the point where he was going to straight to video.

I mean, there was Blade 2 (and technically Blade 3, but that was at his nadir.)