Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Happy new year goons. I just finished my first full length script yesterday, and I’m wondering if anyone has tips on how to find a good editor/protect my work.

Lurdiak posted:

My grandma just passed away. :/

I’m sorry for your loss, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Did I ever post the story about the Fifth Element premier party at Bruce Willis’ house, when Ian Holm walked up to what he thought was a beautiful koi pond in the backyard, and as he got closer realized it was just a pool and the koi were actually dozens of floating used condoms? That’s it, that’s the story.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Looking forward to this, but based on what Brendan Fraser has said about his mental health, I'm worried. Aronofsky is apparently Kubrick-level in terms of psychologically loving with his actors.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Somebody uploaded the original pilot to Mulholland Drive to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7c2OH18tk

Wowie. I can't tell because the quality is so so-so and I don't have a copy of the movie to compare: is this the footage that eventually got edited to make the movie, or did he just start again from scratch?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Many people know and love Dawn's dish soap, but few recall their brief venture into horror cinema with the strangely-titled cult classic, Evil Dead 2: Dead. That of course was a sequel, which in turn got a sequel, but for some reason part 2 is the only one with Dawn's name attached.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This "CIA" doesn't sound very nice to me.

What's this from?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Operation Gladio by Paul L. Williams

A friend of mine is reading it and sent over that excerpt.

It's about the CIAs operations in Italy and how they financed fascist terrorist groups with drug money. Completely nuts and somehow involves both Frank Sinatra, a kooky far-right Masonic off-shoot, and the Pope.

I need to read it myself.

I’ve been meaning to read about this. The Chapo boys never shut up about it.

Skwirl posted:

I would check the sources, I'm not gonna say the CIA wouldn't do that because they definitely would've, I just question their basic competency to be able to claim that kinda death count.

Life is cheap in Sicily.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The Peccadillo posted:

Why on earth is it always the same nu metal song from 2004

And the angel said unto Jesus, “There is but one nu metal song, and a thousand animes.”

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who is Brendan "Frasier"?

Oh baby i hear the mummy calling

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
And I don’t know what to do with that Egyptian book of the dead....

They’re calling again.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
It's amazing how we have the technology and artistry to bring these enormous fantasy creatures to life for audiences, but it's horrible how all we do is make them fight each other to the death. Maybe some people want to see Godzilla and King Kong in a kind of My Dinner with Andre scenario?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

therattle posted:

And then they retire to the bedroom?

Ridiculous. There's no bedroom on Earth big enough to accommodate them both.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lurdiak posted:

In my view Pacific Rim kicked rear end and dropped the ball in near equal measure.

So you're saying Pacific Rim is both Charlie Brown and Lucy?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
CPL drink the baijiu.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I don't gaf about ultraman, when's the opera man movie coming out?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I just watched Congo for the first time in years last night. It's really special in so many ways. Not terribly horny, though. Which is fine.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

therattle posted:

I miiiight have just attached a major Aussie star to star in and direct a script I’ve just optioned (by a v well-known Aussie writer based on his book). Trying not to count chickens but it could be HUGE

Congrats, therattle! Very exciting. Unless my assumption is wrong and the Aussie in question is not Yahoo Serious. In which case, meh.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
In all seriousness, therattle, I am literally so pumped for Hannah Gadsby's adaptation of A Cry in the Dark.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Look, whatever comes of all this, I just hope that one day Lexi Alexander adopts a small, handsome newt and names it Sexy Salamander.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Movies may not be horny any more but TV sure as heck is. It’s almost like TV sucked all the titties right outta the movies!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Y'all are gonna talk horny Brosnan and not mention Long Good Friday? Good lord, I'd have myself a long good furday with that hirsute hibernian.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Are we honestly discussing a cartoon rabbit's mastectomy here? It's no one's business but hers. So how about showing a little more respect? If not for Lola, then for yourselves.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't his secretary deny ever having an affair with Roddenberry, but after she died people found her journals where she talked about how much she loved getting railed by him?

Secretary’s log stardate 80085, supplemental: Gene Rodenberry made sex with me like a wild animal and I really loved it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Reads to me like a modest attempt at tongue in cheek absurd humor?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm bored. Let's all start a rumor that Viggo Mortensen ate his horses.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Just saw Shin Godzilla in theaters. Scared the pants right off me. Arrested for indecent exposure shortly thereafter. Cops booked me and told me I got one phone call. I asked if a forums post was okay. Viva Godzilla, babies.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I rewatched parts of The Brothers Grimm on TV the other day. Dreadful! I know it's considered one of his worst, but I do think I've outgrown Gilliam. Still, I'll always have respect for the man. He seems like a real prick, but no one ever made movies like he did, and no one ever will!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Interesting "Filmmakers react to Schindler's List anecdote": Claude Lanzmann famously hated Schindler's List to no end, but I'm only just now finding out he said he enjoyed Inglourious Basterds. I find that fascinating.

Maybe because Basterds is openly a fantasy?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
RIP Jessica Walter. Never again will I confuse you with Holland Taylor.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CPL593H posted:

In early-mid 90s anime had this whole hip underground vibe to it. Like the only way you could see it is if you had a cool older cousin or something or you'd have to wake up at 6:00am on a Saturday to see an episode of Dragonball. It seemed weird and dangerous because there were cartoons with boobs and swearing. And it wasn't called anime it was referred to as "Japanimation". They use to run this ad on TV constantly for an 800 number you could call to buy a copy of Akira and they made it sound like the craziest movie ever made. The narrator of the commercial was yelling everything and I vividly remember one of the things he said was "THIS MOVIE MAKES BLADE RUNNER LOOK LIKE DISNEYLAND!". I had no idea what that meant but it sure sounded exciting.

And then eventually it became...anime.

I have fond memories of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6C-PiuuZI

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I want Ridley Scott to make another White Boy Old Testament movie.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
So who do y’all think would win in a fight: Dick Miller or Peter Falk?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Thank you for your answers. Follow-up question: who would win in a fight: gremlins or mars attacks?

CPL593H posted:

This is the ultimate guide to Massachusetts accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3s_LbK_xDs

Note how he pronounces the "or" sound. Most people think it sounds like "aw" but it usually doesn't. I can't spell it phonetically. The Boston accent is very inconsistent in a lot of ways.

I loving love this guy. Love thinking about how much he and Bob of Bob’s Discount Furniture must hate each other’s guts.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
New one from the guy who made Onion Time. It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFb2t6v7oQ

edit: And if ya don't know what I'm talking about, here's Onion Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Din-iB9MiY&t=1s

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I just watched part one of World on a Wire. Amazing experience, watching those themes being explored for what I guess is the first time in cinema history.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

ynohtna posted:

Ah, yes yes yes!

Such striking compositions, rich art design, and visual style. The downbeat 70s, slow heady dreaminess may not be for everyone but perfectly it targets my stimulation circuits.

Same. Love the decision to have it set in the then-present day. No namby-pamby "this is what COULD happen!", just RWF saying flat-out "this is what is happening now." Relentlessly chilling but at the same time, comfortable in that heady, narcotic way. I think it's that 70s aesthetic where the environments are so imposing and angular but the people are, at least on the exterior, so fluffy and sedate. And the Fleetwood Mac song over the credits? Italiano-fingers-smooch!

What I struggle with is, and remember I'm only halfway through the whole thing, is this question: is the audience supposed to suspect that Stiller is in a simulation from the get-go, or did I just pick up on that because it's become such a cliche by now? Or am I not giving the movie enough credit? The revelation at the end of part 1 and Stiller's reaction to it strike me as so bizarre, because throughout the whole thing, Stiller is behaving as if he's in a simulation and knows it. Like the completely inhuman way he reacts to the woman getting crushed. The twist, if you can call it that, at the end is so anticlimactic, because the whole point seems to be that it doesn't matter, at least not to him, if he's actually in a simulation or not: by treating AIs that are essentially human as expendable commodities, actual humans begin to seem the same way. The subtext appears to be that the purpose of the simulation is to use AI scenarios to avoid another rise of Nazism, but in so doing they have just become Nazis again. I should probably watch part 2 before I ask anything else. But I feel pretty confident in saying that spiritually, aesthetically, philosophically, it's more Phil K Dick than any of the official adaptations of his work that I've seen. Captures the emotional gravity of Dick's ideas in a way that, for example, Ridley Scott failed to do with Blade Runner.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Alec Eiffel posted:

The director of the new Mortal Kombat has never directed a film before? Or anything? How do you land that job? I'm not saying MK is quality material, but it's odd.

He's a sought-after commercial director hired to direct what is essentially a commercial.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CPL593H posted:

Can we all stop pretending the guy who made the song about murdering gay men is cool now?

No one’s pretending. If you’re so outraged by his work, you can take quiet, preferably silent, comfort in the fact that he’s dead now and can’t make any more of it and move on.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe you can skip over the post instead of lecturing a person who is venting and telling them how they really shouldn't be offended, but if they must be offended then maybe they should at least have the decency to be offended somewhere else and not near you.

Most of this thread is people bringing in random poo poo from the outside to vent, rant or praise about, why does that vent not belong here?

"Please CPL593H, be tolerant of this homophobe who had a hard life, also please shut up, I don't have to care about your hardships."

If someone wants a place to go where they can disparage an artist’s name the day after his premature death, I honestly do get that, but I personally would not like this thread to be that place.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lurdiak posted:

Eat a dick you loving thin-skinned imbecile.

I would go eat a dick but i just called the dick store and they’re all out of dicks. They said “some hysterical french canadian came by and just ate all our dicks! with gusto!” Damnedest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

graventy posted:

It's nicely worded I guess but that's still a STFU.

You’re right, it was a stfu (and nicely worded, thx) But what I should have said was, “take the time to learn more about DMX, and why he meant so much to so many people, in spite of his transgressions and faults. Otherwise, take quiet comfort, etc. etc.”