Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress tremors 6 for killing burt gummer

Nah he'll be back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched Raw Deal over the weekend and I can't stop thinking about how you get a movie where Arnold extralegally takes down the mob, including a scene where he's driving through a quarry shooting fools while blasting Sastifaction from his car stereo, and it still winds up pretty drat boring.

Disagree, I thought Raw Deal was great. To be fair, maybe I was in a forgiving mood because it'd been so long since I'd discovered a new Arnold movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched Short Cuts and realized how much of it P.T. Anderson ripped off for Magnolia.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One hundred percent of it?

Well if I'm being generous to Anderson, which I'm inclined to be because I love his films, I might make the argument that Magnolia is more of a response to Short Cuts rather than just an imitation. I feel like the characters in Magnolia learn more, have more important revelations, and I come away from the movie with more hope than I went into it with. Short Cuts is more of a gut punch. Best example is the "acts of God" that take place at the end of both films, the one in Short Cuts seems to have the opposite purpose as the one in Magnolia.

These are all my very initial thoughts on having only seen Short Cuts the one time, so I may feel differently when I watch it again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A new era! Thank you Fran for your service.

Nice to see that the horror thread domination of the mod scene continues though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I rewatch Predator 2 just as often as Predator. It really is a great sequel. Looks great on UHD too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea for anyone who maybe hasn't delved into that second and even third tier of Carpenter's films, you should definitely make a point of doing it. He's got a whole list of films that you might instantly fall in love with but they just don't get a whole lot of attention compared to Halloween or The Thing.

Like, you never see anyone talk about Starman but it's a masterpiece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Friedkin loves talking about The Exorcist. He could talk about that movie all day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't getting squibbed actually not a comfortable experience? Like, it's still a little mini explosion going off on you so I think people can get bruises from it? Maybe I'm wrong, I could swear I heard an industry person say that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well at a certain point you go beyond the definition of the word kink and something becomes a real deviance. Like, when a serial killer gets off on mutilating women that's not considered a kink.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still don't get what it means to "strike, like Thunderball". Someone tried to explain it to me in another thread but I still don't get it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
20 Million Miles to Earth(1957) is another Harryhausen that feels like it fits the mold of a kaiju film.

For me Harryhausen is really where it's at.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pacific Rim is more a Hollywood attempt at a giant robot movie that happens to use kaiju as the names for the monsters they fight. The themes get very different when the kaiju are explicitly the antagonists fought on equal level by the protagonists, rather than nigh-incomprehensible forces of nature. (Evangeleon is probably the main outlier here, but that does a lot of things differently)

To describe it a bit less cynically, I think Del Toro was really just trying to put his childhood imagination directly on-screen, so naturally as a kid all he really cared about was "giant monsters and robots are gonna fight each other!!" It's like what if an 8 year old was given a hundred million dollars, what kind of movie would they make?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kissing is hard to fake. Like, you actually have to swap spit with the other actor and what if they're kinda gross? At least with a sex scene you can just kinda rub up against each other and cut it together later to make it convincing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well that's a huge part of the appeal of movies. There's a satisfying simplicity to them that you almost never get in real life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m too far behind, last time I checked that thread was like 450 pages ago. I trust the new breed of horror posters.

A. there's a brand new tournament and it's only in the first round

B. there's no requirement that you actually do reviews or write ups, if you want to you can just vote. The more votes the better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I've definitely done that before with Denzel, not like in a completionist way but just hey I'm in the mood to watch a bunch of Denzel Washington this week.

The guy rarely has made a bad movie or even a mediocre one. I guess because if the material is mediocre, he elevates it, and he chooses projects well so it's rare that the material is so bad he can't save it. The worst movie on that list is probably American Gangster, but of course Denzel playing Frank Lucas is still worth checking out. I think Out of Time was a flop but I revisited it a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

A great 90's Denzel action double feature is Ricochet and Virtuosity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Would be curious to hear if the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 is as terrible as it looks or if I was just judging the trailer based on its dissimilarities to the original.

It's decent. But it definitely looks bad in comparison to the original, which is a legit great movie. And one of the best endings ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’ve seen Singapore Sling, and while it is a gorgeous movie, I didn’t like it at all.

I can't even say I liked it, but I appreciated it. I have no desire to ever watch it again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

I never really got what people see in it either.

It's a few things. First, it's a great 70's New York movie. It's one of those movies that transports you to a very specific place and time and I love that.

Second, the Robert Shaw factor. The movie wouldn't be nearly as good without Robert Shaw. It sucks that we didn't get like 20+ more years of that guy carrying movies on his extremely broad shoulders.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to discover some new Robert Altman films. California Split and Streamers are on Prime, are they particularly good or are there others I should seek out first? I've already seen his most famous stuff(MASH, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Nashville, Short Cuts, Gosford Park) so now I'm delving into the second and third tier.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I've seen The Long Goodbye and The Player as well, so I guess I'm more into the third tier at this point. So far the only Altman that I didn't love was Images.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I definitely need to see 3 Women. It's a paid rental but I'm probably willing to pay a few bucks for quality Altman.

Altman has been moving up my favorite director's list. Three years ago he was nowhere on it and now the only directors above him are guys like Kurosawa, David Lean, John Carpenter, maybe one or two others.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

When my wife and I sat down to watch Roadhouse a few years back she got unreasonably upset that the establishment wasn't named "The Roadhouse."

I had the same reaction when I watched it a few years ago. I'd always assumed the place was called The Roadhouse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Twin Peaks actually has a place that everyone calls The Roadhouse, but it's a similar situation because it's not actually called The Roadhouse. I guess a roadhouse is a general term that describes all seedy bars along the side of the road.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHg7TKIBUNY

Stumbled on this conversation between Clancy Brown and Michael Rosenbaum(they both played Lex Luthor at one point). Anyway, Brown says here that he thinks the producers of The Highlander barely read the script, so they offered the role to Sean Connery because they assumed that a Scottish actor would be a perfect fit for a movie called The Highlander.

I'm pretty sure Brown is just saying that based on general disdain for producers but still got an lol out of me imagining that it might be true.

Edit: oh I see, a minute later he says that they actually did want Connery to play the title role. Interesting, I never knew that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

KVeezy3 posted:

Nice write-up! Arnold's classic work are buried in my imagination from seeing bits and pieces on television as a kid, I bet they've aged well.

Yea maybe it was because of how careful and methodical Arnold was with his career choices, but a very high percentage of those movies still hold up extremely well today. At least for a decade, from 1982 when he did Conan to 1991 when he did Terminator 2, I'd be perfectly happy to sit down and watch any of those films. There isn't a stinker in the whole bunch(Red Heat is debatable).

Then of course starting in 1993 he became a bit more inconsistent but he was still batting around .500 with stuff like True Lies, Eraser, and Jingle All the Way so overall he made far less bad movies than the typical action star or A-list star of any genre.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder how many of those he took on because of that Crusades project he was attached to falling apart

It's interesting because the most obvious scheduling conflict there would've been T2, because the Crusades project fell apart in 1990 and that's around the time T2 was shooting. I can only assume that if Arnold was unavailable T2 still would've happened, just a year later.

Kindergarten Cop was filmed in 1990 so maybe Arnold wouldn't have had the time for it if the Crusades project was happening.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought they were still talking about making it in the mid 90's

You're right actually, I had the timing wrong. The talks were ongoing throughout the 90's apparently. Arnold is persistent I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Raw Deal is great because it's relatively forgotten/unknown, and it's pure uncut Arnold. It's like one of those McBain parody segments from The Simpsons. So it's a perfect choice for someone who loves Arnold but feels like they've seen all of his stuff a hundred times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of the time with unrated cuts of comedies all it means is a few extra boobs. Not that I mind that but it really doesn't add much to the comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only real issue with Demolition Man is it goes a little overboard with the Dennis Leary character. A bit too on the nose and his dumb speech is pretty much right out of his standup routine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where I live it's basically Taco Bell or a much more legit authentic place with real tortillas and al pastor and all that stuff. There's really not much in between, I'd like having an option that's better than Taco Bell but cheaper than the authentic stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Taco Bell owns if you want/need a lot of calories for super cheap. Their ratio of calorie per dollar is kind of insane lol. And a lot of their stuff isn't fried either.

Yea if you can find two or three items on the Taco Bell menu that you like(which again, is no guarantee because Taco Bell isn't very good), you can eat there for like $5 or $6. When I go to the legit taqueria down the street I'm spending twice that much for the same amount of food.

But I'd love to have a Del Taco or something like that where I could go the fast food route more often.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people in this thread sure like having diarrhea.

Much like alcoholism, you only really get stomach issues from fast food if you don't eat it a lot. If you eat it a lot your body adjusts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was Monster Hunter any good?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bond never actually has sex scenes, it's always Bond making out with someone or undoing their dress or whatever and then it cuts to the scene post-sex. They're always PG-13 so there's never any scenes where Bond is actually in the act of having sex with someone.

We can watch Eva Green graphically drown right in front of Bond's eyes but sex is a no go.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pretty sure the Brosnan movies have at least a few "in bed with the sheets inexplicably covering them" scenes. "I thought Christmas only came once a year" etc. Besides, I don't think the QOS one even had them kissing, or her accepting his advances or anything. Just him clearly asking this girl to come to his room for reasons and her smirking.

That's true, although it's still a cherrypicked moment where Bond isn't actually in the act of having sex, it's like immediately afterwards and they're still in bed with each other but the sex is basically over(or about to start up again).

With Bond I kinda get it though because it's always been PG-13 and you can't really show thrusting or anything like that with PG-13. At least I don't think you can.

drat well that proved me wrong, this is definitely the exception to the rule though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just got around to watching Argo for the first time, how did this win Best Picture? I mean I know the answer, the Academy is bullshit and always has been but this one seems particularly egregious. It's a solid movie but I can't imagine it would've even been in my top-10 for that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it, but there's no way it's even close to worst movie to win Best Picture.

No definitely not but it's up there. Like probably top 10 worst ever and we're talking about an award that's been given out almost 100 times.

It's not outright bad but it's extremely by the numbers and forgettable.