Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pence and the Pentagon did an end around Trump today to deploy the National Guard and a whole bunch of people are resigning and rumors are swirling that the Cabinet is discussing the 25th. So yeah, they've had that conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skwirl posted:

He tried with his first snap that brought everyone else back. No one tried to use the gauntlet again after Tony's snap that got rid of Thanos' army. I figured it didn't work the first time because it only gives you one wish at a time. Might try just wishing for Natasha back without also the other poo poo.

The first snap fried the Hulk's arm. The second killed Tony. The Gauntlet even crippled Thanos. Its not exactly a tool you can just troubleshoot with multiple tries. Like who draws that "probably die on the theory that maybe you had to wish Nat back on her own" card? Even if they did think it was the case (and I don't think we're really ever given any kind of "one wish at a time" indication) it seems like a thing they decide isn't worth the risk.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't remember hating the second Matrix movie at all but I do remember absolutely none of my friends being interested in seeing the 3rd one at the cinema

in fact, I think I had completely forgotten there were 2 more Matrix films until reading this thread

edit: oh god, 3 came out 6 months after 2? that seems wild thinking back

I remember defending the second one to my friends as we left the theater saying I thought it set up a lot of cool stuff, and then having to take the blows 6 months later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's true. I recently set out to do a Wes/PT/PWS marathon just for laughs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's more "at this point they've said hydra had elements operating at the higher levels of these governments at some point in history."

Like I don't think hydra was running Nazi Germany, but a faction of the command was involved. I forget, was that supposed to be hydra's origin or was it supposed to be older then that?

By Agents of SHIELD continuity, yeah, Hydra goes back way further and the Nazis were just another step on the way. But the show said a lot of stuff that probably isn't MCU relevant. And yeah, their whole thing was infiltrating governments and agencies to steer events in their preferred direction so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised they snuck into the USSR as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its definitely entirely intentional that one town is made up of rich, perfect, white kids who get everything and one town is made up of poor kids, many poc, who keep getting murdered. Like the entire first act set up of the first film is laying that out and then having one of the rear end in a top hat Sunnyvale kids nearly start a riot at a vigil by yelling dogwhistles at the black kids from the other town.

Now I haven't seen the last part yet so I don't know if that stuff pays off in a worthwhile way. And it kind of disappeared in the back half of Part 1 and got de-emphasized in Part 2 so I dunno. But its definitely intentional.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Plan is to rewatch Part 2 tonight and do Part 3 tomorrow. I wanted to revisit them all together as one big story and rewatched Part 1 last night which is why the very obvious bluntness of that race/class thing is fresh in my mind.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Klowner posted:

was a little grossed out at first, but I guess I'm going to have to get over myself and accept that "here for it" is a thing now and I'm getting old

What am I missing about it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is it the stress level the vampire brings out in you or the stress level of the vampire? Because Gary Oldman's Drac had a lot of drama.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its almost certainly a multiple factor thing. It seems very flawed to compare a film like Free Guy that wasn't available on streaming, or even a movie like Black Widow or Jungle Cruise that was available but for a $30 fee. There's just a lot of factors in play and I think anyone saying they know the reason is just defaulting to their preferred explanation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For me I think I have Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad, Shazam, and I guess Wonder Woman all in the same vague place competing for "favorite" but truthfully none of them are films I'm especially interested in rewatching or would call myself a fan of.

I have yet to see the Snyder Cut.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can’t imagine putting Wonder Woman and Shazam! on the same level. I don’t get why Wonder Woman got such widespread acclaim because it was fuckin dogshit.

My reaction to WW probably comes directly from me only watching it in DCEU binges so it feels like a relief of an adventure film after the previous heavier stuff. But its definitely flawed in a deep way. But I don't think there's any DCEU film that doesn't feel that way to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, there's only been like 4 movies since Infinity War and that's only a small percentage of the total? But I see your point. There's definitely less of a "house style" in the DCEU, even if a lot of people want it to have the house style it abandoned. You have a decent idea what you're getting with a MCU film and that can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you feel about them. DCEU is a bit of a crapshoot from film to film which I can certainly see the appeal of and theoretically means more highs as well as lows.

None of them have just fully clicked with me. And since there is no real house style or narrative direction I barely even think of the DCEU as a shared thing except for sorting and scheduling purposes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoy BoP but like it feels like its just kind of got the BoP tacked on which makes the last act feel a little like it skipped an act to me.

I think Joker is a very good lead performance but I don't think the film really knew what it wanted to say.

TSS is fun enough pulp but a little too long and overstuffed for me.

So yeah, just none of them have really "clicked" where I just like with no qualifications.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoy it as a charming heist film but its a bit of a mess narratively with no true villain so I can see that annoying people if they're not really charmed by Paul Rudd.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched Jackson's Kong for the first time this summer and my takeaway is that its entirely good and ages well but is also exhaustingly long. It was the rare movie that I honestly couldn't sit still during and not only did I need an intermission but so did everyone else watching. Its just so much. Its all good but its all much. At the time it was probably mind blowing and totally worth it. Now that there's like more advanced Kong movies and stuff it probably means less. But there hasn't been a straight remake done since then so like if you wanted to watch King Kong and didn't want the original but a more modern blockbuster I'd say it holds up and does the job.

But also, schedule a break and don't drink too much soda.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

josh04 posted:

People worked on fluid simulation for a scene where Jennyanydots pees on the camera. Cats is unparalleled.

I understand what I'm supposed to be reacting to but I can't stop rereading "Jennyanydots" and failing to process it. Its like my brain is a spinning pinwheel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok Comboomer posted:

the movie Jennyanydots is that x 1 gorillion

Ok, that confirms it. I'm having a stroke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've only seen Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, and Mr. Fox. I enjoyed all three and they're all very unique and movies I'd absolutely rewatch if they caught me in the right mood. Tenenbaums is the only one I've seen before the last year and I've rewatched that in parts many times.

But none of them really made me fall in love or inspired me to seek out more or anything. I have Budapest on my watchlist and I suppose I should put Rushmore there too. But I'm in no real rush.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, all. I'm not a regular here so most of you probably don't know me but I run a horror movie watching tournament/club every year in here and right now we're voting to decide which directors/films are part of the 2023 version. I feel weird posting a link in here since I'm a goon with anxiety stuff and I'm not a regular here so I feel a bit like someone knocking on your door and asking you if you want to hear about God. But in this case that just means you going and voting on some directors if you wish and if you really want checking out the Bracketology thread the day after Christmas to see who made the tourney. Either way I figured there's probably horror fans in CineD who don't read the horror thread or people who just like voting on stuff and could use a break from the holidays. And if not I'm sorry for this waste of your time. But if you're interested all are welcome to whatever degree you want to participate.

Vote! You can vote or change your vote until 12 noon EST Dec 26th

Thread
Spreadsheet

Ok, I'm done. Sorry. Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Happy Holidays. Or just have a good weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I recall the Harry Potter films all have a middle act that’s about the Christmas break in the school year. And they all came out and are played at Christmas. And yeah they have the kind of magic whimsy vibe to Christmas. So it makes more sense than Die Hard.

I’m fine calling Die Hard a Christmas movie. Personally I’m a weirdo and if I watch a movie with Christmas lights or a Santa hat anywhere I think I should only watch it in December. But people make much bigger stretches than the Potter films I think.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.