Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Nomad: In The Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Buschemi playing a firefighter is possibly the only real transcendent thing in the apatow movie about firefighters. Which wasn't too bad either, but hokey in the specific exact way all them Apatow movies is.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 18, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is Brendan Frasier in control of himself or is he still "Monkeybone?"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is Ex Machina a chappie film?

Will the new Wonka be an attempt to overexplain the canon of tim burton's version? And when will the oompa loompahs be stop motion.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

It's amazing how we have the technology and artistry to bring these enormous fantasy creatures to life for audiences, but it's horrible how all we do is make them fight each other to the death. Maybe some people want to see Godzilla and King Kong in a kind of My Dinner with Andre scenario?

In "The Nightmare Before Christmas," the monsters reign over christmas!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think I mentioned here a while back that my partner was being tested for leukemia. Well, that didn’t turn out to be the case.

However, she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia today. What that means, basically, is that her central nervous system is haywire in a way that will make her extremely fatigued and achey at random. Imagine if you got the flu five fimes a month, and it lasted three days or so each time.

It’s a condition that cannot be cured, usually lasts a lifetime, and will obviously render her more or less totally unable to work. We’re going to need to make some big changes.

This is awful, I hope you guys can work through it okay.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Why ain't thar kissin in movies no more

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I had some edibles when I saw pikachu and it was a joy. I cried when he was fighting mewtwo with the parade balloons. He was so small but he wouldn't give up!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There were a lot of conspicuous screens, windows, things viewed through or obscured by shades in They Live this last time I watched. The literal shades in the film are also interesting because the counterideology is as fervent as the ideology but I don't think the movie picks sides. The guys spout a lot of canned phrases pre and post revelation, and semiotically standing around holding weapons is just their office job. The millionaire hobo who lives in the subconcious seems closer to the truth. I think it's great and conspicuous that the fight is dressed down wrestling.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The screens/windows/apertures obscuring things is also a theme in Godzilla 2014 of all things. (Was really funny when a goon pointed these out as 'mistakes')

My fave in They live is Roddy watching a man watching TV indoors.

And good! Proof of Godzilla's enduting goodness. 2014.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Debating Gun Control is irrelevant here. There are existing gun control rules on movie sets, which were ignored.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Kazzah posted:

Lotsa Movies Are Outstanding

They oughta give a prize, one for movie of the year!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Has Amadeus been movie of the month

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Vincent posted:

Akroyd's canadian? That's more shocking than the UFO stuff.

The great comedians of the 80s all were Canadian or in Chicago, with the exception of John Hughes, who was a terrible comedian.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You think ghosts are just people living in the same space but on a different radio frequency than us

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I loved last night in soho! Especially the way the dreaming and waking worlds were blending, like it seems supernatural that she's dreaming about Sandy, that she has all these details, but that she is remembering subtle details in the room and in the city, the lights in her dream are the same colors as the ones on the neon sign, Alexandra begins playing her own records downstairs, And she might be smelling bodies in the floorboards? If that was literal. I'm certain the place smells like garlic on purpose. Like the dream is not entirely rational, but still a way of processing waking world evidence.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Steamed Hams was right in the middle of the episode, though. (I only remember because the last part was Nelson getting humiliated by the tall man in the small car)

The very tall man is funnier than steamed hams

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I feel like Wes Anderson's movies are never really about the stuff. They're about people hiding in the stuff.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The stuff is used to convey information more often than not. He’s got a very efficient way of telling a story visually, I think it’s a reason his movies are usually pretty short.

Right. His characters and worlds are full of specific details that do a lot of lifting establishing relationships and status and things. But more often than not, the characters are fighting an emptiness or loneliness or some kind of ennui that their materially full surroundings aren't addressing. On paper everyone appears larger than life, like Royal Tenenbaum lives in a hotel, his children are great literary figures and geniuses, but the emotional core to the film is that they couldn't get along among themselves and end up having to learn the basics bout loving one another. Steve Zissou never knew his son. In his mind, Max Fischer is the king of Rushmore, and then after school he goes home sad and lonely to his dad's barber shop.

And Grand Budapest is especially brilliant! The hotel is almost a myth. When it's golden and fun it's because Zero is describing a time he was in love, when it is cold and empty is is the Author describing him being so. We never get a complete insight into Gustav's character because he's so tied up in the nested story. He's a part of the set until he has reason to have an emotional outburst. Possibly, there is more of the tempermental author we see in the beginning, in Gustav, than in the calm reasonable Jude Law author character that he describes himself as. But even how little we understand of him, how much he is of his setting, it becomes clear that he WAS the setting. There's not a hotel unless he cares about it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I named my cat after Dignan.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My wife and here sister did the same. Little dude passed last month, R.I.P. to a real one

Ah I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad there was another Dignan out there.

My list would be:

1. Budapest

2. Rushmore

3. Fox

4. Tenenbaums

5. Bottle Rocket

6. Life Aquatic

7. Moonrise Kingdom

And a special shout out to rushmore, whose trailer was always playing the summer I started going to Midnight Movies. Haven't seen Darjeeling or Dogs.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Much like Tarantino, the first three Wes Anderson films are kind of all you need.

Hateful Eight is the best!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I contend that his last film should be rated G and be like Chitty Chitty bang bang

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Where? I don't see one.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Villeneuve is really next level with sound and the big produced visuals in his films are very good but I think the scenes with people in his movies are a little weak. Too many close ups in dune, and almost no...being among a set? Weak blocking.

Gripweed posted:

I imagine the major motivation was the studio wants to claim NFT rights

So how is that better than Tarintino making them?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Gripweed posted:

So they came out with digital video, it was presumably cheaper and easier to work with so they adopted it widely for TV production, but it didn't occur to anyone that it was at a different frame rate and that would produce a different look, or they just didn't care.

And I assume that they stopped using it because of that loving show Lost that convinced everybody that TV had to be cinematic and ruined TV

TV (in america) is 60hz, which before progressive scan would work out to 1/2 of a frame being broadcast every 1/60th of a second, or one every 30th of a second. Video was invented for TV so it's specified for the different rate that TV is strobing at. Films are actually broadcast or viewed on home video at an adapted framerate, like one frame will be on for two frames and the next for three. I think.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I had explained to me once how TV used to be 30 fps but had to be changed to 29.97 because they needed bandwidth for a color channel.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Chicken Run is G...for Good!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I really loved the letterbox bars on a 4:3 screen. Made the movie feel important.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

I think I finished my short. Hopefully it’s good enough for festivals…

Did you just post about being in Denver? There's an open screen at the bug theater that's good if you want to test it for a crowd.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

The bug theater is great yeah! I’m gonna throw it to there definitely. I had a short in there once and it got such a good response they brought it back for the end of the year best of.

We checked a bunch of festivals. If I can get it done done done by the 10th we’re solid. And I think we can but I’m waiting on effects.

What year? We might have been in the same showcase.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
If it was 19 then that was the one I was in. I had a cartoon with a duck.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

That seems familiar to me bht I’ll be honest I don’t remember that night well bc I spent most of it freaking out from the weather and then I started to accidentally poo poo talk the other films bc I made my film practically and I love practical effects and I forgot that the other ones were very heavily cgi lol. As soon as I realized this I basically ran off stage after and left the venue lol.

I did an alien abduction one.

I think I remember an alien abduction one! I don't remember what you said later though, so you're probably off the hook.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Will Sorkin include the scene where Albert Brooks' father dies at Lucy and Desi Arnez's roast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

The Hobbits are permanently hamstrung by not being available in the format they were made in (48fps), it's a real shame.

I forgot about this whole trend. Has anyone done a high framerate movie since this and Ang Lee's?