Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My goal for this year is to see more movies in the cinema than last year.

12 months left for a single movie, it might be feasible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gripweed posted:

Ok, lets not go crazy here. Before Borat, Cohen was a UK television star That is not a movie star. That's barely a celebrity.

Maybe the US didn't care about Ali G, but Europe did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdz2oW0NMFk

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who even remembers that was made.

It’s amazing how We’re the Millers from a couple years earlier was more memorable. And that was hardly a classic.

Conclusion: people don’t want to see a naive family to go on a road trip, they want a ragtag group of jerks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Oh, that too I guess.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I once had an idea for a podcast called Nothing But Good, where you talk about all the terrible things famous people have said or done when they were still alive.

It was never going to happen in the first place, but I'm pretty sure actually doing it would lead to a steady flow of death threats. No matter how long ago the subjects died. Well actually, if you go back far enough it is very viable, because then you can call it history.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ever got excited for a movie soundtrack based on an artist's previous work, only to find out that it was a fairly generic film score?

Because when I think of Jónsi (solo stuff, formerly Sigur Rós) his most popular movie contribution is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHOwYqxBbWU

Which is far from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duFcf6lp8Tc

I guess Junkie XL/Tom Holkenborg went through a similar phase, yet he had done a lot of video game stuff between his studio work and his current scores. So that transition was a lot smoother.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Everyone watch a bunch of stuff that's really gay.

Well, I personally was inspired by this thread to watch Fight Club again!

It has the bonus of Jared Leto repeatedly getting punched in the face.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 2, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is Ultraviolent as stupid and awesome as Equilibrium is? Equilibrium is maybe the stupidest movie I’ve ever seen, but it’s fun as hell.

I personally think it's less awesome than Equilibrium but it balances it out by being way more stupid. Equilibrium has a society and technology that makes sense with the story, even though gunkata is a bit of an odd duck. Ultraviolet just seems to throw stuff at a wall and it doesn't even take a look if something sticks.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 21, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

It's cause they wanted to make Halle Berry look like this:

And this.

I had also completely forgotten Susan Sarandon plays an Indian guy for 10 seconds.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Movies like 2 Guns and The Magnificent Seven (2016) feel like auto-pilot movies for Denzel, yet I still don't understand why he did a sequel to The Equalizer. Surely he should have known after the first one that it wasn't even coming close to the energy of something like Man on Fire.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Rewatching Equilibrium for the first time in what must now be decades. God bless the goofy gravitas of this stupid, stupid movie. They should make a special edition where every piece of art the rebels hoard is replaced by slinkies. That sad scene with Sean Bean? Holding a slinky. Christian Bale just loving around with slinkies for 100 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzj7FtU85k

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I love it. I shall carry the torch forwards by linking it in the OSHA thread in GBS.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Only if you level up 10 major skills. Just create a custom class with nothing useful as a major skill except maybe alchemy because otherwise you need to spend ages grinding making potions.

Trick is to make potions that raise intelligence and then use that increase in intelligence to create more stronger potions of raise intelligence until your INT level is too high to properly display and then start making potions to fly constantly have endless health and strength and move at the speed of sound.

Just don't make potions that give you speed or strength that way or you'll barely have control over your character when moving and will break every weapon after a single hit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

And people thought Peter Jackson invented filming franchises back to back.

And let's not forget about The Three Musketeers being followed by The Four Musketeers: Milady's Revenge a year later. Although:
"Producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind were sued by the actors and actresses who claimed they were tricked into thinking this movie was to be part of The Three Musketeers (1973). They won their case in court, but did not receive as much money as they would have if they were paid separately for both movies."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kevin Michael Richardson has less star power, but I think he would be better as Bowser. It's going to be weird if the henchman will have a deeper voice than the king of koopas (but obviously a prolific voice actor like him has a lot of range).

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1441168482112966661

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 24, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

This article is even better. Just make sure you click the "continue reading" button tho, else most of it gets cut off:
https://www.avclub.com/surely-you-can-t-be-serious-an-oral-history-of-airplan-1798279218

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Boat That Rocked has multiple radio DJs :v:

And I don't remember if Michael Keaton is featured throughout Need For Speed or simply starts showing up near the end. And he is probably livestreaming instead of being a radio DJ.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 28, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGxX4cvTmNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoUDGJ4g2A

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 14, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

that's not a weak performance, that's Murray's schtick. He does dry, disinterested and aloof. Source: me, i've seen other movies with Bill Murray in them.

He takes it to the next level in the Ghostbusters video game by pretty much phoning it in.

It’s an enormous contrast with Aykroyd’s performance, who can barely contain his excitement. Almost like he did a line of coke before every line-read (he is also credited as a writer on the game, alongside Ramis).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 25, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Ah, Point Break has finally popped up on Netflix, gonna toast me some popcorn and have a good ol movie night

My favorite Luke Bracey movie!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My list of Wes Anderson films:
1. Bottle Rocket
2. Rushmore
3. The Royal Tenenbaums
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zisso
5. The Darjeeling Limited
6. Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. Moonrise Kingdom
8. The Grand Budapest Hotel
9. Isle of Dogs
10. The French Dispatch

Shout-out to Hot Saucerman

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I recently wanted a cheap Android phone and I was looking at ones released in the last two years. I would have to pay at twice as much if I wanted a model that wasn't a 6 inch bastard.

One of the default toggles is for one-handed mode which allows you to shrink the screen down with the extra space becoming the button to disable it. Those motherfuckers know!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I had a 3GS and I used to play the poo poo out of mobile games that just involved watching timers and tapping on buttons. Those were very multi-task friendly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Games in general are pretty awful for bad accents, I think they made the right choice there.

Also I'm pretty sure it's all meant to be in clear English to represent how speaks-drat-near-every-language 47 understands everything that people are saying. Presumably in other languages everyone's voiced similarly, or should be.

I think the game has so much dialogue that they didn't bother dubbing at all. I've seen videos of Russian and Japanese players and it had English voices every time. It would also have made the game even bigger in filesize, and it was already taking up quite some gigs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The latest two posts on her Instagram hit hard: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYCOH8SJ3JD/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXkFlpKvN5t/

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 31, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

2022 you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdN29A3qqno

(well, before he travels back in time that is)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Shang Chi is straight and Awkafina's character isn't in the comics, I like that they were just really close platonic friends. They said they changed the rings because it would be too close to the infinity stones otherwise. I thought it was a cool change because the comic book rings wouldn't work as something for Shang Chi to be running around using.

It's amazing how the Iron Man movies have just completely supplanted my memories of the nineties Iron Man cartoon, even though I saw a lot of episodes of that.

That loser's real name was Arnold Brock? lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Azhais posted:

Much like lost in space. I'd rather watch the version with Joey

Ah, the version that Jared Harris disavowed, because they dubbed half his performance in that movie (he plays the adult version of the youngest Robinson).

The theme by Apollo 440 is pretty awesome tho.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The lead criminal character of a Michael Mann movie should be craggy. You hear about actors gaining or losing a lot of weight for a role, but is Natalie Portman willing to get craggy for a role?

Val Kilmer's character from the first movie could be lead, because the fight against throat cancer unfortunately has made Val quite craggy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I had clearly outgrown his cartoon Life With Louie when they started to rerun it on a local a channel a decade later, but I was sad that it had become dubbed instead of subbed. That dub could never live up to Louie voicing himself and his father.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 21, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

What's the best movie theater notice? I still love the no refunds for tree of life one

I saw La La Land and one of the employees entered right before it started and announced "fyi this is a musical". That was in the first week of the movie's release, so I'm guessing earlier showings they had some refunds?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 21, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol imagining someone getting up after exactly five seconds of silence in a film to complain

"I heard this really loud noise when I stormed out of the room like an olympic athlete, like some sort of distorted F1 car passing by. But by golly I'm gonna keep on walkin' 'til I find an employee of this place!"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

HBO Max is rolling out in more European countries next month. It is pretty crazy how much I'm looking forward to that at this point.

I bet they won't have half their stuff at launch tho, because it's not subbed in the local language yet. Work harder underpaid translators with terrible deadlines! Surely your work can't be worse than the Dutch sub for The Wire from a decade ago, by someone who clearly didn't understand some of the slang.

(I use English closed captions these days anyway)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 14, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The music really makes Vanilla Sky for me, and it's the reason why I don't really care about the original. Starting with Radiohead, ending with Sigur Rós. Leftfield, The Chemical Brothers, Mint Royale, The Beach Boys, Spiritualized, Freur. Even the Peter Gabriel song that has been done to death these days. Just look at that list

Also, Kurt Russel at the end of that movie, going from :smith: to :unsmith:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 27, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Midsommar was pretty funny.

The ending put a smile on my face!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Last two pages really pushed me to rewatch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGmGGmvFD8

"Let me explain my tolerance of spicy things by means of Nandos".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Made a playlist for songs about how your hometown sucks and you want to leave
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Ry6Ha8lL0rOvYaAEekP0w?si=k1KS0-coT6K-TpRvmZx9PA&utm_source=copy-link

Any other suggestions

I think the entirety of Arcade Fire's "Suburbs" album might be about that in some form. A whole lot of realization that you've changed and that your youth is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Euj9f3gdyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awHWColYQ90

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 1, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Why would anyone go see Fantastic Beasts 3 lmao. Even if Rowling wasn’t trash, the second movie definitely was

I'm going to wait until the third one arrives on HBO Max and then just marathon all three of them on a weekend night. Having not seen any of them, but I think it'll be one hell of an evening.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

!!!!!

He'd be an amazing addition to what is already a dream cast.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I agree. We should be thrilled that there is a speedster who went out on somewhat of a high note.