Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zogo posted:

Tanya Roberts is alive again. :waycool:

Nice to hear some “X is NOT dead” news for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1440574744776962054

"I'm here to tell you about the Glass Elevator Initiative"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CPL593H posted:

You're European, you're not allowed to dislike Tin Tin.

Except for Tintin in the Congo, the book so racist and anti animal it had to be banned.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

if he’s old enough to read, then he’s old enough to learn about the White Man’s burden and the great responsibility of Manifest Destiny laid out before him.

In the Belgian Congo, no less. i.e. the biggest genocidal atrocity filled colonial poo poo show in history.

At least Tintin doesn’t order anyone’s hands chopped off in it. Yes, I read it when I was a kid because somehow Portugal still allowed its sale. IIRC it had its most racist scene censored (a bit where Tintin teaches a group of black schoolchildren about the glory of the motherland is replaced with him teaching math). They didn’t remove stuff like Tintin blowing up a rhino with a stick of dynamite or him shooting a monkey and wearing its skin as a disguise to rescue Snowy.

That book was hosed, y’all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CPL593H posted:

:stare:

That's supposed to be for kids?

The series as a whole definitely straddled a line between adult and child content. It was definitely nominally aimed at kids (it started out in the youth supplement of a Catholic newspaper) but the books dealt with stuff like terrorism, politics, drug smuggling, slave trading, etc and quite often drew from semi-recent events (The Blue Lotus, while having some unfortunate Japanese caricatures, featured a fictional equivalent of the Mukden Incident, had a corrupt British police chief in the Shanghai International Settlement as one of the villains and ended with Japan leaving the League of Nations, all events that occurred less than five years prior). Hergé also did an extraordinary amount of research for some stories, such as in The Calculus Affair he literally drove around Lake Geneva looking for a place where a car could be forced off the road and its driver kidnapped and drew it all in the strip. Far more than you would do for something "for kids".

Some still lingering (but rather rare: starting with Blue Lotus, Hergé really tried his best to avoid stereotyping) unfortunate elements, all of the Tintin books hold up today, pretty much for all ages. Just stay away from Tintin in the Congo and Tintin in the Land of the Soviets but you'd have a hard time running into them anyway.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 23, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've seen a lot of Star Trek because it's been so inescapable, but I find the "Next Generation" stuff (TNG/DS9/Voyager) depressingly stupid overall. It's the very picture of a decaying, decadent society.

Why?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I still want a future where classical music recitals are cool, drat it. :(

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Considering that the showrunners spent like the last three seasons unsuccessfully trying to backdoor their way into a great big Dukat x Kira romance, and it took Nana Visitor literally threatening to walk off set and quit the show if they went through with it, I think he gets done fine.

The compromise choice they went with of revealing his forced comfort woman “relationship” with Kira’s mother as the source of his obsession with/“fondness” for her (and a source of enormous trauma for Kira), and his subsequently chilling inability to see the monstrousness in it or in his using it as a pretext to antagonize/try to woo her, takes Dukat from “fan favorite recurring antagonist” status to “hey, y’all remember that this guy is a loving monster, right? That he’s a fascist warlord directly responsible for the deaths and suffering of an entire planet full of people, right? That he’s literally the worst kind of person imaginable, right?”

Like it really loving bakes my noodle that Berman, et al. were going into that plot reveal thinking it was going to be a great way to finally get two main characters to hook up, and were apparently flabbergasted when the actors went “what the gently caress is this, No. absolutely not. Dukat does not get a face-turn like this. There’s no way Kira ever falls for the ‘Butcher of Bajor’, especially not with the revelation that he took her mother as his sex prisoner. What the hell is wrong with you”

Wasn't the whole "hey your mom was my sex slave" thing introduced after Visitor threatened to walk? Granted, that doesn't make it better (heck, it's kind of worse since it makes it look like they added it out of spite) but still.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The peter Jackson king Kong game is loving lit. Incredible hidden gem

I’m sorry, but that game must be referred to by its full title of Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie. :colbert:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also, I dunno if you guys heard but the orcs were a hidden message the whole time:

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1445214926964854787

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

The articles I found lead me to feel highly skeptical about that.

Yeah, I'm going to need more than "A photo of Poste showed scars that matched one of the Zodiac's eyewitness sketches:

Like those don't even look like scars, more like forehead wrinkles.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I know they probably didn't but I hope in the movie they gave the dog those human eyes. What a brilliant ad campaign.

Between this and all the human eyes on the animals in the live action Jungle Book, someone at Disney has a sick fetish.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I had no idea they did this. Why would they do this?

The shape of the eyes is probably to help with the motion capture. When that movie came out, everyone mocked the fact that Bagheera literally had Christian Bale's face:

It doesn't explain why they gave them human pupils though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

“Seriously man, you and me, we’re loving done purrrfessionally.”

"'Oh, oobee doo, I wanna be like you' in the background. What the gently caress is it with you?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

This isn’t the Disney Jungle Book adaptation directed by Jon Favreau, this is the one Netflix did directed by Andy Serkis

Huh. I completely forgot there were two. My mistake.

CPL593H posted:

Even aside from the eyes this is some horrible uncanny valley poo poo. Jesus Christ.

The first time you look at this, it just feels "wrong" somehow. Then the minute someone tells you "That's Christian Bale's face on that panther" you just can't unsee it.

EDIT: To say nothing about how they gave human eyes to a goddamned snake:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 10, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

A war movie I'd like to see is the American guy who landed at Normandy and was like "gently caress this, I need a better job", and there was a notice put out when the Win Hearts and Minds of the Europeans strategy called for having American troops publicly hanged like a civilian for rape or murder or looting rather than shot, and they didn't have a hangman, he shot his hand up and was like "oh for sure I am a professional executioner"

And he spent the rest of the war basically torturing Americans to death, because he had no idea how to hang anyone or how to make a gallows, so they'd smash their face to bits on the way down and then slowly choke to death. He was very drunk all of the time because he was allowed crazy privileges.

Ended up ad the official Hangman of the Nuremburg convicted, and he was drunk as hell for that to, and hosed up the editor of Die Sturmer's hanging, and wandered behind the curtain at the bottom of the gallows and gave him a good yank to stop the gurgling

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have a new hero

I heavily recommend the Behind The Bastards episode on that guy (John C. Woods).

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-bastard-who-executed-the-top-55213274/

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

No one has any loving idea who these characters are, right? Never, in all of my time growing up playing warhammer in a comic book shop, have I ever heard of them. I think it'll bomb, but I'm also not an MCU fan and I don't read comics so what the gently caress do I know.

I also have the feeling it will bomb hard but then again I (and a huge number of people) felt the exact same way about Guardians of the Galaxy and Shang-Chi

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think I really felt it after seeing 50,000 breathless articles praising Wandavision for being a super deep exploration of a superhero dealing with grief and trauma.

Like,

Tired: media that presents/explores characters coping with grief

Wired: a superhero coping with grief

And I feel the same thing with Loki, where it’s just the rote old “sociopathic and damaged, but super charismatic male main character learns to be a better, more complete man” trope that has already been done a million times by other shows. But because it’s a Marvel sexyman now, instead of a doctor or cop or spy or serial killer or whatever, it’s fresh.

Which is a rather surreal role reversal. In the early days of the MCU, many people (myself included) heavily praised the fact that despite it still feeling like a consistent universe, each movie/series was its own thing (Captain America was a war movie with superheroes, Ant Man was a heist movie with superheroes, etc). Now every MCU product just feels like an MCU Product, much like a modern Ubisoft videogame feels like a Ubisoft Videogame and everyone laps it up when it shows even a glimmer of innovation, it’s crazy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Getting some real “Zendaya is Meechee” energy from these posters

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't want the MCU to go away, I just want it to be societally unacceptable for anyone over 23 to talk about it. You're adults!

On one hand, I kind of agree but on the other hand, whenever I see something like this I think to myself "What ARE acceptable hobbies for "adults"? Fishing? Golf? Because I have zero interest in any of those".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

All men when turning 18 are required to put away anything they previously enjoyed and only be interested in whisky, sailing boats and beard grooming

And watching your country’s most popular sport.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He's been a professional comics writer for over a decade. He had a decently long run on Uncanny X-Men in like 2008.

As well as indie comics The Wicked + The Divine and Die, both of which freaking rule.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Uranus Expressway is the name of my Stand

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who ever sat through Freddy Got Fingered welcomed death immediately afterward.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 17, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Nvm

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I enjoy it but i can’t figure out how when 2016 rolled around there were all of a sudden tons of angry 40 year old dudes upset that like THE movie of their childhood (and adulthood) was being disrespected, like where had these ghostbusters people come out of the woodwork from? Dudes whose entire life was ghostbusters who had flew under the radar until that moment, content in letting the loud angry star wars guys be the guys everyone is sick of until their time to shine came along

Much like in the case of The Last Jedi, a lot of those dudes were Russian trolls.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I refuse to believe this. Is this real?

https://twitter.com/mortenbay/status/1046885009834090496?s=20

Ok, maybe Ghostbusters wasn't. Must have confused it with something else, my mistake.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

For a split second I thought it was the actual Interpol, not the band. That would be an even weirder turn for Lynch.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sequel names will never get dumber than The Last Exorcism: Part 2 and A Haunting In Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure this explanation applies to 90% of the global financial system.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

They had him just kill himself. Which is certainly an exit

The writers later “joked” that he only got such a “dignified”* exit because he was getting a job in the White House and if he had simply gotten another job, they would have had him die by auto-erotic asphyxiation.

*That particular episode is probably the single most controversial ep of the show. Half of people were furious that he just killed himself with no foreshadowing while the other half claimed it was the entire point, that suicidal tendencies can come out of nowhere and that there were puzzles not even House could solve. I’m in the latter camp, personally.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

I literally watched Malignant on HBO max (nordic though)

But tbh their app is a mess, and so is their selection. I don't know what the american version has but i know its got stuff we are missing

There was a brief window where I could log in with the US VPN (now it keeps throwing up "Log in error" messages) and there's a lot that inexplicably didn't make it to Norway. Most baffling is around half the HBO documentaries are missing with no rhyme or reason (like why is The Swamp there but not Four Hours at the Capitol? Lady and the Dale but not Class Action Park? The Vow but not Leaving Neverland?) I don't get it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Man, didn't realize Life Aquatic was so hated. I watched Royal Tenenbauns when I was a teenager, utterly hated it then watched Life Aquatic and it made me a Wes Anderson fan. I'm curious, what so bad about TLA?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Did you watch Inspector Gadget as well? Same voice iirc, some have theorised Gadget's true origin is Maxwell Smart rebuilt as a cyborg.

I mean they both have similar IQ.

I freaking hated Inspector Gadget as a kid. I wanted to see a badass cyborg fight crime, not some girl and her dog doing all the work and this bumbling idiot getting all the credit.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent posted:

The Cone of Silence gags are all timers.

That and the suicide pill gag

"It will kill in 20 seconds"
"But how do I get them to take it?"

I was delighted when they used that gag in the Steve Carell movie (which was better than it had any right to be)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Misery but Kathy Bates is a huge conspiracy and UFO nut who finds a near dead Predator that crash landed near her home.

10 Cloverfield Lane with the Predator could definitely work.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

look I'm not saying Succession is bad, I'm just saying there's no way it's actually good.

Why?

I mean, I get not wanting to watch a show when everyone keep hyping it up and talking about it: for me this was Squid Game. I heard so much about it i have zero interest in watching it. But I'd never say "No way Squid Game is good". Because I haven't seen it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, I actually managed to guess the motive.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno why "most people are loving dumb" is now a political statement. They are. Just look at how they refuse to wear masks the minute it's no longer required. Anyone with any faith in the intelligence of the "average person" is deluded. And short of honest to god reeducation camps (which I am pretty sure wouldn't work, given how people's thinking seems to become more and more inflexible with age) there is no way to fix it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Clearly what we need is the climate change version of Threads. No allegory. No pulling punches. Just straight up "you and everyone you love will die screaming in your life time." and showing it in graphic detail. Screw having to care about denialists feelings. If you are an idiot, you won't see it anyway, and you cannot be educated.