Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've not seen it, I've always wanted to, but for anyone curious King himself wasn't very impressed (from a rolling stone interview).

Did you see that new documentary “Room 237” about obsessive fans of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining?
Yeah. Well, let me put it this way – I watched about half of it and got sort of impatient with it and turned it off.

Why?
These guys were reaching. I’ve never had much patience for academic bullshit. It’s like Dylan says, “You give people a lot of knives and forks, they’ve gotta cut something.” And that was what was going on in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Lexi Alexander has had a lot of bad takes, she got really mad at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-GW7_e2aJA promo for The Batman, saying it was copying her without giving her the credit on the basis of this scene from Punisher: War Zone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWaVz2wVQCc&t=171s .

And I mean, come on, that's a stretch. It's red lighting. I'm pretty sure that wasn't invented in 2008 with the release of Punisher: War Zone.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Seasons 1-3 are great. 4 ranges from okay to terrible. 5 is a bit of a return to form but it's clear some of the magic is gone. 6 meanders in quality but ends it really well, there's a lot less joy to it as a final season compared to earlier seasons, but purposefully so.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I actually think Returns is a really fun film and it has this amazing moment from Imhotep (spoilers I guess) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYMfWitsqik&t=189s

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's hard, but I think the best way forward is to unlink the sensation of drinking with the sensation of watching films. I've had my problems with drinking, although not so much doing it casually while enjoying other activities, but more overdoing it at social events leading to frequent blackouts etc, but I did use to smoke weed way too much and intrinsically tied my film watching to my weed consumption to the extent that I thought I couldn't enjoy a film without smoking weed.

Though I do occasionally smoke casually with friends I don't at my home anymore and not while watching films. What it took was practise and time, I just had to retrain myself not to associate the feeling of smoking with watching films. With drink, what I use to help with not going too far on nights out is swapping drinks with similar textured things like Kombucha or sparkling water with flavours etc which might work for you. I still do have that compulsive need to be consuming something while sitting down and watching something, or playing something, so teas are also a really good shout. They're cheap, and providing you don't throw any sugar in are extremely low calorie and give your hands something to do while watching.

Another avenue is to refocus on why you enjoy films, and try to enjoy them in a different way. Your mileage may vary on this but I find meditation and present moment awareness of a film can improve the experience tremendously. There's nothing in drink that actually improves the film, it's just that nice feeling of relaxation and ease that drink provides you, but I've found that lovely feeling of ease and well-being never gets better than my first sip of my first drink which is before any alcohol has hit my system, which means that feeling is available to me without alcohol. This could be seen as woo nonsense ymmv, but it's helped me unhook from seeking stuff compulsively, if you feel that you want something (a drink etc), just allow yourself to sit and experience that sensation non-judgementally without acting upon it.

Breaking a habit is hard, but it's constant repetition that gets it done. So the more films you watch without drinking the easier it will be. There was a time when I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy any films/games without being high, but now the thought doesn't often occur to me. Thinking of the benefits also helps. I've always been into fitness and exercise daily, but it's amazing how much drinking like a maniac on the weekends can hamper your progress. I am much stronger and feel a lot better having cut down my alcohol intake.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I just don't think it's worth it. It's easier just to have comics and have films and keep it separate. Same way that it's better if the Spider-Man games are their own thing and not related to the films.

Star Wars makes it work, with comics set in between films but there's only two different lines of continuity there (Legends and Post-Disney) as opposed to the myriad different mavrel universes and the appeal of those is the "filling in the gaps" aspect.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The entire score for Mask of the Phantasm is hers and it is maybe my favourite Batman score. And Batman isn't exactly a character lacking in good scores.

I would still call her Batman theme the "BTAS Batman theme" because even if the intro had a variation of Elfman's theme, in the episodes themselves whenever Batman did something awesome 9 times out of 10 it would be her Batman theme that the score would utilise.

There's even this cool thing on the soundtrack where she goes over the methodology of her theme https://youtu.be/Ge5HZuKd9Bc

Karloff fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 14, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Vincent posted:

Is there a website where it tells you if a horror movie has jumpscares?
Edit: Is there a book like "Men, Women and chainsaws", but modern? I quite liked the book, even if it's politics about LGBTQ+ people are very of its time and seemed lacking.

Yeah, it's called Where's The Jump?.

I think there's a documentary in the works about LGBTQ+ horror for the Shudder streaming service. Don't know when it is releasing though.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Bruce and his parents did not watch The Mask of Zorro in 1998, they watched a double bill of Air Bud: Golden Receiver and Species II. This is canon.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

All the Ghostbusters films are good. And so is The Last Jedi.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Or maybe Aykroyd isn't crazy. Maybe he's right. About all of it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I could never bring myself to watch Creed 2. I'm sure it's good, but I found Creed to be such a beautiful and moving ending to that series that it almost feels like a shame that they didn't let it sit. I'll get around to it eventually.

feedmyleg posted:

In case it's anyone else's jam, I just got Jurassic Park: The Ultimate Visual History in the mail today and it's really loving good. Comprehensive, really well put together, and they realllly go the extra mile when it comes to adding in various ephemera and such. I have a handfull off these sorts of things, and early impression is that it blows any of the others out of the water.

That is excellent to hear, it is absolutely my jam.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I like all the Jurassic Park films. I understand this isn't a popular position. But the sequels have a fun "oh I just found a dinosaur film while switching channels" energy, and The Lost World has a wonderful atmosphere, if not script.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Big fan of the original West Side Story and this new one absolutely blew my mind, maybe one of the finest big screen experiences in the last 5 years for me. If one feels comfortable I highly suggest seeing in the theater, I was not as up on Dune as most (liked it though), but this gave me the big screen magic that so many got from that film.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

West Side Story has earworms.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Prince Charles is a great cinema. The all-nighters I've seen were Jurassic Park, extended LOTR and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The last of which was undoubtedly the best, though sadly T2 couldn't be shown due to a similar thing where they were planning a 3D re-release. But, still got Commando, Last Action Hero, The Running Man, Predator, and The Terminator.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah man, that DC animated style they use for their recent features is a fuckin downer. Absolutely lifeless and stiff, borderline unwatchable.

It's what has kept me away from them. Each time I see a clip it looks like a resurgence of that stiff Hanna Barbera look except with none of the charm. It's dire. When they first started doing them with Under the Red Hood etc it looked pretty decent so I don't know what the gently caress happened. I know they pump them out at an astonishing rate but I reckon if they slowed down and took their time perhaps they'd do better business?? I remember there being lots of hype and discussion around Red Hood, but no one seems to even notice them coming out now. I guess their business model must work, but it's weird.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I worked as a protectionist from about 2007 to 2016. When I started I worked at a 9 screen chain multiplex it was exclusively 35mm. A couple Christie digital projectors were put in preparation for Avatar around 2009, but by the time I left that cinema in 2012 all 9 screens were digital. 3D necessitated the changeover to be so quick although industry wide there were and are numerous advantages to digital projection for studios which is why they've never looked back. After that I worked in a couple of art house cinemas, which maintained 35mm and 70mm projectors but solely for film festival and special screenings, they would be far from daily use, and it became swiftly problematic to find replacement parts as no one was making them anymore. It is a shame how quickly a technology that stood resolute from the dawn of cinema and had a both tactile and illusory magic became seen as obsolete but I also feel lucky to have been part of the last generation to experience it professionally. That said the only constant in the universe is change so it is what it is.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I remember the Peter Pan film in 2003 being quite good, the one with Jason Isaacs. Weirdly, I think that's the only straight forward live action adaption of the novel/stage play since the silent era. All the other live action films are revisionist versions or twists on the tale which elect to just name themselves after one character (Pan/Hook/Wendy).

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Both Suspiria are good, with the first one being the finer of the two. That said, the remakes decision just to do its own thing is I think the best approach it could of taken imo.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

A fair amount of people on the internet do. Edit: I feel this needs a seizure warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

(3.5 million views)

The work of Olivier Megaton is the sharp extreme end point of that particular action aesthetic inspired by Bourne. It's just too much. I can't say I've enjoyed a single one of his films, the gulf between the two Leterrier Transporter films and Megaton's third was vast.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I do think the Asylum have damaged the standard for DTV creature features though, in the mid to late nineties they were so much more weird and interesting.

Carnosaur and Shark Attack series > Two Headed Shark Attack and Mega Croc or whatever.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They need to make a halloween movie where michael meyers meets a monsterfucker and it turns out all he needed was true love

I remember there was a a documentary on one of the Halloween special edition DVDs (maybe the 25th?) where they interviewed a girl who was very much into Michael Myers in that way. Everyone's got a thing I guess.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Unrelated but I was thinking about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It's not at all a good movie but I kind of like it because it's such a bizarre clusterfuck and they made some really not good decisions. Does anyone else remember that thing?

I unironically love Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, I think it's big, operatic and lays the high drama on insanely thick but in a very appealing way.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

One fun thing about the Friday the 13th series is that because the "lore" and continuity is so loose and vague you can kind of have fun with your making your own head canon. I'm quite partial to one that suggests the lake itself is evil. That Pamela Voorhees, had she lived anywhere else, would probably have never flipped out but some formless evil got in her, then Jason, and Roy, even Tommy briefly.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Explain Jason Takes Manhattan.

Uh, the boat they got contained water from Crystal Lake in its pipes thereby charging Jason. Same thing with Jason X, as he was frozen.

OR once Jason was ressurected and subsequently "drowned" in 6 he has become one with the lake and therefore carries it with him.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

therattle posted:

Has Senor Spielbergo made a bad film?

Always and BFG.

Hook and Lost World are good.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The sequel is good and worth checking out but do not remotely expect a similar experience.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ah Dangerville, the youtube channel that made the single most consistently and repeatedly wrong youtube video of all time. https://youtu.be/vrwM8NQnC48

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Both Spider-Man 3 and Dr Strange were pretty good. Very far from his best, but good.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Baby Driver is good. Not seen Soho

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

CPL593H posted:

The concept of high art and low art doesn't sit well with me anyway and people who only like "high brow" films are always boring and pretentious.

100% agree, and I think it's weird that there's a big resurgence of people and critics trying to carve out and re-enforce that distinction. I do think it's important to try and cultivate a balanced diet of different films and to explore a range from blockbusters to foreign films, to weird genre stuff to arthouse etc though but that's a different thing. One thing I noticed is that what is considered "worthy" changes over time. I remember I got a little bit of poo poo in University for my fondness for Spielberg but now he's become this elder filmmaking statesman figure and some of the older criticisms have died out.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget that thanks to Judd Apatow, pretty much every comedy film these days consists of hiring a bunch of comedians, giving them a barebones plot outline and telling them to improv the rest of the script. Comedy films barely HAVE writers now, let alone comedy writers.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. All those Apatow films had scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Kubo is an incredible film and I'm sad it kind of came and went without much fanfare.