Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

caligulamprey posted:

The only time I've ever seen John Carpenter having a good time was at his concert. Every interview with man is pure, completely justified bitterness.

I can't remember which one it is (maybe Prince of Darkness?) but the blu-ray for one of his movies has an interview where he talks about how surprised he is that people still his movies 30+ years later and he very nearly starts crying. I was shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Watching Electric Boogaloo right now, a documentary about Cannon Group, and basically every film that's being shown off looks absolutely ridiculous and/or insane and now I kinda want to try and watch a lot of these films

The aforementioned Lifeforce is the big one, because it's an actual good movie made by a really good director but some other choice movies are Ninja III, The Last American Virgin, Tough Guys Don’t Dance, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and of course, Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo. Avenging Force is good fun too, and shockingly leftist for everything else that came out of the studio.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1361680618724069383

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1361690634323566599

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Karloff posted:

Lexi Alexander has had a lot of bad takes, she got really mad at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-GW7_e2aJA promo for The Batman, saying it was copying her without giving her the credit on the basis of this scene from Punisher: War Zone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWaVz2wVQCc&t=171s .

And I mean, come on, that's a stretch. It's red lighting. I'm pretty sure that wasn't invented in 2008 with the release of Punisher: War Zone.

That is especially strange because that Batman clip is clearly some lighting/costume test and not footage from the movie.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

TrixRabbi posted:

It's also that she said the dumb thing and then promptly set to work making sure she looked as bad as possible in the aftermath: Blocking everyone who gave even the most polite pushback or disagreement, trying to use social justice language to claim she was being uniquely victimized and accusing PoC of siding with the mob of white men who are surely behind this, trying to get a college kid expelled for mild trolling. I'm sure she got plenty of abusive comments in her mentions but most of the people I saw were just saying "lol this is a dumb rear end take" and a number of people just praising old movies and encouraging people to seek them out.

I don't know if she's just not in a great place at the moment that exacerbated this or whatnot but she kept digging the hole as deep as it would go.

This is the most bizarre aspect of it to me – like this

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1362675844624261160

isn't even criticism. Like gee, I wonder why one film critic would call another their friend but not a director they don't know.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Gatts posted:

Wait...THIS year? Did they already film it or something?

They shot it in 2020 mid-pandemic

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

What year do we think the Best Picture became a misnomer or lost it's credulity? Not necessarily the first winner that shouldn't have won, but the point-of-no-return.

Here's the list for easy reference.

Honestly, The Greatest Show on Earth in 1952. It's pretty dire and one of the clearest cases of "we gave this an oscar because we forgot to give one to this guy before."

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Also, Singin’ in the Rain wasn't even nominated, which is pretty crazy because it's the kind of movie that's being evoked by things like The Artist and La-La Land.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

I've read that quote about Woody Allen before and I find it to be devastating in how accurate it is.

It's incredible too because the Welles quote is from around '78. So he said that before Allen made his really personal movies that feel like he just put his own therapy up on screen.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Skwirl posted:

He said it before Manhattan came out? drat talk about nailing a son of a bitch dead to rights.

Just double-checked my copy and it actually begins in '83, which is still early but not as early as I thought. (I think I mixed it up with the Bogdanovich book, which ends in 1978) It's still pretty impressive because he'd just done Stardust Memories and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy but there was so much to come.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Man, The Legend of Billie Jean is so much fun. I love when a movie is just a dang blast. Any other similar reccs? Streets of Fire also comes to mind.

This gonna sound insane but the same director also did a movie called Bingo, which is purportedly a family dog movie but actually one of the wildest things you'll ever see. Like in the first 10 minutes the dog gets PTSD, nearly killed by two people, fights a bear, and gives a kid CPR. It's loving nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

TrixRabbi posted:

I know I've brought this up a lot in the past, but this convo reminds me of when I did that piece with penismightier about Werner Herzog making feature length commercials for internet companies and everyone kept ignoring the obvious to defend him. Like, just cause your ad features dark elements of the thing you're selling doesn't make it not an ad, the dark elements just provide further authenticity cause the audience believes they're seeing something legitimate.

What are the Herzog movies that are feature length commercials? I'm not super familiar with his doc stuff outside of Grizzly Man and My Best Fiend.