Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah First Cow owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

Best 2020 movies, vaguely ordered:
Babyteeth
Queen and Slim
Uncut Gems
The Lighthouse
The Invisible Man
Honey Boy

Almost all of these are 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This was my top 20 films for 2020, obv didnít get to see as much as usual so thereís some big omissions and also some stuff that wouldnít have made it in in any other year creeping in, but hopefully itís some help for some of you:

20. Birds of Prey
19. Tenet
18. Bad Trip
17. Bill & Ted Face the Music
16. The Invisible Man
15. The Trial of the Chicago 7
14. She Dies Tomorrow
13. The Broken Hearts Gallery
12. Soul
11. Kajillionaire
10. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
09. The Assistant
08. Driveways
07. Palm Springs
06. First Cow
05. Nomadland
04. Mank
03. Small Axe (didnít want to split them all up, plus I think the whole is greater than the sum of their parts anyway)
02. David Byrneís American Utopia
01. Iím Thinking of Ending Things

Main things I didnít get to see: Minari, Promising Young Woman, Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I watched Tokyo Drifter last night and Iíve never seen such a huge gap between the quality of the visuals/aesthetic and the quality of the story

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like Tokyo Drifter okay but Branded to Kill is mind blowing. I feel like Jim Jarmusch had to have studied it intensely.

This is one of the main reasons I watched Tokyo Drifter first (that and Tokyo Drifter has a UK Criterion release). Iíve heard from people who watched Branded first that Drifter has less impact in comparison. Iím excited to get to it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Man I wish I was as woke as CPL

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

This is great and Peter Serafinowicz rules as usual. What show is this from?

The Peter Serafinowicz Show! Itís from 2007 and thereís six episodes and a Christmas special and itís amazing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/tall4all/status/1353399942551904256?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Give me Godzilla and Kong doing an Astaire/Rogers routine

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/davidmdaut/status/1353442795818610688?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Room 237 is a good documentary about smug idiots but a bad documentary about The Shining

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

3 Women is my joint favourite Altman with MacCabe. Have you seen Secret Honor? Thatís real good too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

They explain most of what happened in the first two films at the beginning, but it would still be a much lesser experience

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

after Aziz Ansari was outed as a rapist.

Feel like maybe you didnít look into that story very hard

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Potatoes are coming back in March.

There was a whole Munch Squad about it and everything!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iíve been to a Taco Bell in London twice and yeah just not enjoyable to me at all tbh. I do like their sauces though. If I ever go again itíll mostly be to swipe a bunch of those.

Went to a Del Taco in LA once and that was significantly better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I think itís coming out at like Christmas. Theyíre still pushing for Black Widow in cinemas though and thatís meant to come out in May right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iím thinking of ending things was made for Netflix, right? Not just sold to them at some point?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The first season of Kimmy was made for NBC and then sold to Netflix haha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Netflix UK calls Better Call Saul an original so every episode after the title sequence you get a few seconds of silence with a no-effort ďA Netflix Original SeriesĒ screen and itís very annoying

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

still love that pennywise was defeated through the power of bullying

Mimic!!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I thought it was a good joke tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Montero is a good song and Vice is a bad movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I did not think saying I liked The Nice Guys better than The Big Lebowski would provoke such a response. Are you guys all big stock holders in the college freshmen trying a white russian once before realizing they're gross and never having another one industry?

You said more than just it was better, you bugger!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Under the Silver Lake is great if you want bad Inherent Vice with a shot of poo in a toilet

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Was Promising Young Woman no good? I didn't see it but I thought it was well-received.

Itís really good. I love Occ here but he gets very angry and hates things extremely easily

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The casting for the guys was so fuckin spot-on, especially Burnham

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dynamic range in cinema screens definitely feels lacking these days, yeah. But then you go to like a Dolby cinema or something and itís absolutely incredible. One reason I like going to the cinema anyway is because I am extremely bad at ignoring my phone when watching stuff at home

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

If you guys all like going to the movies that's ok, I was just hoping most people felt the way I did and we could move past the theater release system.

Most people donít and never will, hth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I know a modern blockbuster with fantastic visual storytelling but people get very angry about it when you bring it up

itís called Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Gurinder Chadha. Chicken soup is one of the worst films I have ever seen, and we sold a film of hers called It's A Wonderful Afterlife that distributors literally got angry at us for delivering to them.

I also think Tom Hooper is a terrible director. Les Miserables was unwatchable. The Danish Girl was dreadful. I could not bear to watch Cats.

idk what Chicken Soup is but Afterlife was awful yeah. I like Bend It Like Beckham though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Like I don't think anyone who was losing their poo poo about the Bad Captain America not being a proper replacement for Chris Evan's cap

I refuse to believe these people actually exist

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

They added a scene in where Batman and Batgirl are fuckin hahaha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Underground Railroad is out now! So many hours of new Barry Jenkins filmmaking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I fuckin loved A Ghost Story. That movie is entirely my poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Apparently they just automatically give celebrities mod powers when they pop in. What happened sucked but his apology was good, he unequivocally took responsibility

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/filmcrithulk/status/1394710810585309187?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sorkin is good at writing entertaining scripts that fall apart if you look at them for more than a second. Social Network may actually be the main outlier in that regard, although maybe thatís because Fincher jettisoned the worst stuff idk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

A TV show solely written by one cocaine fuelled guy over 20 years ago doesn't exactly reflect my 2021 sensibilities in the way I would like? I just don't have enough pearls to clutch.

The issue is more the influence that show had on modern Democrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maybe itís wrong to way West Wing influenced the politicians themselves (although I think TrixRabbi is right on the money personally), but itís certainly influenced regular people into thinking that itís what left-wing politics should be. Thinking that having the moral high ground is far more important than anything else and that grandstanding is hugely effective.