Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for trusting me to mod for as long as I did!

You were an excellent mod, and congrats on escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Herzog's words are fascinating, but it's the background images that really elevate them to art.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yeah the robot is cool and all but where's Prince Heinel Zardos?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Was there an Animals of Farthing Wood movie that has escaped the notice of the internet, or a movie that ripped off Animals of Farthing Wood? I have a pretty strong memory of watching a movie about animals fleeing the destruction of their home forest. It wasn't a TV show so it definitely wasn't the Animals of Farthing Wood show, and it was a bunch of different animals so it wasn't Watership Down.

Once Upon a Forest, maybe?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s a condition that cannot be cured, usually lasts a lifetime, and will obviously render her more or less totally unable to work. We’re going to need to make some big changes.

I have a family member who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. While its been no fun for her, she's been amenable to treatment and has largely managed things fairly well. As miserable as it can be, its thankfully not a death sentence.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The fact that giant robots have to be purposely built makes them much more fraught than giant monsters as a story convention.

For example, look at the classical Giant Robot show, Mazinger Z. Here, the military is helpless against the invasion of Dr. Hell. Dr. Hell is an archeologist (!!) whose giant robots are the unearthed war machines of the ancient past. Opposing him are a teenage biker, the teenager's buddies, and the local electric company. They fight back with a new, unduplicable giant robot that can't be matched by Dr. Hell's relics.

As it is, it's a story about a nontraditional Japanese teenager and his buddies fighting against people who are trying to bring back the past. But you get a very different story if you play with the details.

Consider if, instead of a teenager working for the electric company, the lead was an adult soldier. Or if instead of being a unique super hero, the Mazinger was massed produced military asset. Or if instead of being distinct war machines lead by a verbose wannabe fascist, the villains were generic monsters lead by incommunicable aliens.

It can get pretty nationalist pretty quick.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 26, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
How long do we think until cable TV is dead in actuality?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I use twitter solely to keep up with some buddies and artists who thankfully don't post/retweet nonsense, but if the rumors about twitter making tweetdeck a paid-only feature are true then I'll consider the choice having been made for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Someone help me comprehend what this. The auction was for some non-reproducible token of ownership? But it's only a "token ownership" because the nyan cat is still clearly accessible to everyone?

Do I have that right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah they’re beyond miserable. First doctor told me to cut out alcohol and soda so I did and got another one anyway few years later. Second Dr said “lol we don’t know what causes them sorry”.

I had two of them last year. After deciding that my diet and physical health were otherwise good the docs told me that my body wasn't retaining enough water.

So now I just drink about a quart of water everyday.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CPL593H posted:

This is not the kind of trendsetter I wanted to be.

I dunno about the rest of you but I am over the Funkopop craze.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://bloodknife.com/everyone-beautiful-no-one-horny/

I came across this article on the sexlessness in (some) modern films, which I know has been brought up a few times in this forum.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fury Road is in agreement with the article, being a film but a story about the commoditization of desexualized bodies, but in that respect its almost anti-horny.

Immortan Joe wants his wives for their capacity to provide him sons. The scene when Max looks past the bathing wives to thirst at the water is pretty much the line "they don’t dream of women, but of cheeseburgers and fries" from the article. Capable's relationship with Nux is motherly. The struggle to achieving reproductive freedom is not at all libidinal but lies in controlling resources: the Citadel's water, Immortan's infrastructure, and the bodies of those that live and work there (as represented by the flower seeds). And when Furiosa and Max swap fluids, they do not gently caress but become blood brothers.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 2, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The furry fandom predates the internet by decades.

Incidently, while both Harley Quinn and Sonic have some attraction you could only bring one of them home to ma, and it ain't the clown.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

Here's the drat Gothic Industrial Brittney remix.

https://soundcloud.com/duskimpending/hit-me-remix

nice nice nice

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Am I wrong in saying this tries so hard to be woke it wraps back around to offensive?

It's pretty much a South Park gag.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think that's really a hot take? Terry Gilliam is basically echoing Miriam Bratu Hansen from 1996:

"The first and obvious argument is that Schindler's List is and remains a Hollywood product. As such it is circumscribed by the economic and ideological tenets of the culture industry, with its unquestioned and supreme values of entertainment and spectacle; its fetishism of style and glamour; its penchant for superlatives and historicist grasp at any and all experience (the "ultimate statement on" or "the greatest Holocaust film ever made"); and its reifying, levelling, and trivializing effect on everything it touches. In this argument, Schindler's List is usually aligned with Spielberg's previous megaspectacles, especially Jurassic Park, and accused of having turned the Holocaust into a theme park." - Schindler's List Is Not Shoah

It's not at all an uncommon critique of the film.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 25, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

I started watching that show Aeon Flux. I heard it blew people's minds when it was on TV in the 90s, so I assumed that the latex lady was gonna imply that she liked to get hosed and there would be an episode where it turned out it was all a dream, because that's all it took to blow people's minds in the 90s. But it actually gets pretty wild. Gross too.

It's been ages since I watched Aeon Flux and I can't imagine all of it holds up, but there are a couple episodes that are just phenomenal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eventually we get to see it at what was one of the last big, single-screen theaters around. This theater liked to do gimmicky stuff, presumably to keep interest up. During the pre-roll they had someone in a ninja camel costume dancing around in the aisles. I guess the only animal costume they could rent out was a Joe Camel costume and they slapped a bandana mask and some toy swords on it.

That rules.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Klowner posted:

I'm going to necromance Jonas Salk along with history's greatest thieves, pirates and ne'er-do-wells—John Dillinger, Sir Francis Drake, Genghis Khan, etc.—to steal the COVID vaccine formula and publish it for free on the internet, while we murder anyone who has the balls to attempt to stop us. This summer, a force like no one's ever seen is prepared to vaccinate... and assassinate.

CORONA SQUAD, rated R for disembowelment of rich executives and salty language.

Sadly some nerds at Stanford beat you to it: https://gizmodo.com/stanford-scientists-post-entire-mrna-sequence-for-moder-1846576268

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Empress Brosephine posted:

Aw I was hoping superman 3 would be worth watching due to pryor

Superman 3 is very janky but also it is a lot of fun.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there any piece of media that all superman fans agree on? Superman the animated series? Smallville? Louis and clark?!

Probably the Fleischer Studio cartoons?

Well, the pre-"Famous Studio" ones, at least.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know the complaints about G14 (though I disagree with them), but what's the prob with Skull Island? Perfectly straightforward adventure/horror film where soldiers get attacked by giant insects and a more-giant ape. The two main characters are a little flat maybe (though Brie Larson with 70s hair is a Look) but when you've got John C. Reilly and Sam Jackson who cares?

It does suffer from a lot of the same faults that modern big budget franchise films have: too much exposition, too many bad quips, and a pervasive sexlessness.

Now Skull Island is unquestionably on a whole other level of quality than, say, Jurassic World, but the flaws are present.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Why the hell do you need sex in a Godzilla movie.

And you know drat well I’m not talking about Godzilla having sex

Serious answer: Skull Island, like Jurassic Park, is about the ecology of an island out-of-time. Part of that is communicating how the monster animals live, eat, and breed.

Jurassic Park, for all that it's a family feature, is not only not shy on the breeding part, but it makes it a huge, fundamental part of the film. There's a whole conversation about the ethics of cloning, a subplot where Wayne Knight steals the Dino DNA, the revelation that life... finds a way, and the big exciting climax is rescuing the children.

I'm not saying Skull Island needs to be Jurassic Park, but it's remarkably how the film is positively chaste despite being an ostensibly less family friendly film. We don't see any monster eggs or monster children, and the closest thing to a parental behavior is found in rapacious Skulleaters. As for the humans, Jing Tian and Corey Hawkins smile at each other at one point. John C. Reilly's male companion of however many years has dead for years, and when Reilly finally goes back home to his wife he watches television. Brie Larson and James Conrad become friends, maybe?

I ain't saying I need to see kong dong, but the complete absence of any sensuality is very notable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just got the text message. I'm getting the vax day after tomorrow.

Going to lick so many door knobs as soon as I get out.

I get the urge, but you need to stay strong: no knobs until three weeks after.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy A. Person posted:

I think this would only really happen if he did a Star War or a comic book thing or a video game adaptation people didn't like. I am struggling to think of a bad director that people hate simply because they make bad movies, not because they are bad people outside of their movies or "ruined my childhood" y'know

Imagine Fury Road came out in '85 and Beyond Thunderdome came out in '15.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

The weird thing is that I don't think the MCU's most hardcore fans are particularly big comic book geeks, they just really like the MCU. Like I don't give a care if my favorite marvel characters die or retire in the MCU because I'm viewing it as an adaptation of something that's got 700 back issues and that will probably continue publishing uninterrupted until the sun burns out. But for people who loving love RDJ's Tony Stark and don't give a gently caress about comics, Endgame was the end of Iron Man, permanently. That's why they're so emotional.

I think I remember some hubbub from fans of comic book character Iron Man being perturbed at RDJ's portrayal overshadowing it some time ago (circa IM2?).

Like, there wasn't much, both because he wasn't exactly a super popular character and because it was clearly a losing fight, but there was some.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fully vaxxed and feelin' fine.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scratch that feeling like absolute poo poo but I'm told that just means it's working.

:lol: that's how it goes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CPL593H posted:

What's that?

I think they're a band. My cousin has some of their albums.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

He's more coded slay. Let's just say he's never committed die-erasure. Some people have accused the show of, uh, ...queer-biteing? That works as a pun right?

That's enough to make a body lose their decomposure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CPL593H posted:

First it's PCU then what? How much of the lineup of Comedy Central's mid-2000s time fillers will be lost to history before this madness ends!

I'll have you know that friends whose opinions I tolerate have told me that Office Space holds up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even the longest running shows can be experienced in full by spending and hour or two on their tvtropes page so I don't see what the big deal is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Roth posted:

I'm sure people have noticed by now, but just in case MacheteZombie asked me to co-mod Cine D with him and I said yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If evolution is real, then how come there are still ducks?

Checkmate, atheists.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's wild how ahead of the game Square were in a lot of ways. The hypothesis behind their Hawaii studio, that CGI was about to become a huge part of modern films, was dead on the money. Even the CGI lead actors bit isn't that outrageous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

porfiria posted:

I feel like the most interesting parts of DUNC aren't really film-able. The characters and situations are pretty stock.

E: Someone somewhere pointed out that Dune has a lot of similarities to YA fiction, which I thought was a pretty interesting take.

A lot of what elevates Dune over its contemporaries is it's veneer. This really becomes apparent if you reading some of Herbert's earlier work. His Godmaker short stories cover most of the same beats as Dune, but it's written in the style of an Asimov scifi mystery, and feels profoundly less imaginative because of that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trouble is that there was never any actual demand for "generic woman".

That's the big thing. Hollywood is definitely interested in CGI performers, so long as they're Peter Cushing or Carrie Fisher.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Peccadillo posted:

Remember turn of the century pop punk size shorts

Bullshit. Where are the chains?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Calaveron posted:

It’s so boring. Surely the philosophical aspect was interesting when it came out 20 years ago

ehh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jurassic World makes fun of you if like Jurassic World, important distinction.

Jurassic World is far from good, but beneath the RP1 bullshit there are moments of contempt that I can respect.