Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

The theatrical cut of Aliens is better overall and has perfect pacing, although it'd be nice if there was a version that kept Ripley's daughter stuff in and the turrets subplot but did away with all the boring poo poo about the colony pre-marines landing.

The theatrical cut of 1408 cuts out a really self-indulgent daddy issues subplot to focus on the daughter more and has a much better alternate ending.

You can probably make a case either way for the theatrical vs director's cuts of T2, although I personally think the scene with the brain chip is so important that the director's cut easily wins.

There are a lot of cases, many already mentioned, where the perfect cut would be some kind of halfway point between theatrical and extended cuts. LotR, Amadeus, Aliens all fall in this category in my opinion and I'm sure there are more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grendels Dad posted:

A cursory Google search has not turned up any merchandise featuring the gray gentlemen from Momo, and that's some bullshit. I had just explained to my son that I felt a bit like a gray gentleman from time to time and then rushed to the computer to look at all the ironic t-shirts they must surely be on, but I found nothing.

For those not familiar, they are the bad guys in a German children's book, and they eat time. They come for people dressed as bankers and they convince them to save time at their bank by not wasting their time, and then they smoke the time rolled up in cigars. They couldn't really be any less subtle and they own for it, and i am severely disappointed in the Internet for not having a dedicated fandom to them.

Hey, I read that book when I was little - didn't expect anyone to post about it though. I was reminded of this book when The Good Place had a scene where demons from the bad place snort time like it's cocaine.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Crosspost from the D&D UK thread but I felt some of you would get a kick out of it:

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1419954481236688910

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CPL593H posted:

Yeah it's got that post-9/11 tv stink all over it.

I don't know how far in BSG you are but this is going to increase in Season 3. The writers also had progressively less of a clue as the overall plot progressed but personally I think there's still a lot to like.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baron von Eevl posted:

Steve Buscemi as Neo
John Goodman as Morpheus
Frances McDormand as Trinity
John Tuturro as Smith

A film by the Coens.

I'm sorry but there is no version of this movie where John Goodman doesn't play Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50AIxB68R8

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was going to suggest the Bourne movies for that list, though somebody already mentioned them. I rewatched them recently and they hold up fairly well. I enjoyed how it's almost entirely shot in winter - snowy landscapes, lots of nighttime scenes, everyone dressed in thick clothing, and a cold colour pallette. It's not a look you see very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Come And See posted:

They took the lead out of gas in 1975 so for a while it was true.

And the last batch of leaded gasoline was finally finished in Algeria a few months ago. Progress!