Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I always find it interesting to be able to identify the moment you get totally sick of a meme you once enjoyed, just due to pure oversaturation. Au revoir, Anakin and Padme in a Field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dunkirk was a neat toy, but it's not a good movie. It's a cool gimmick to experience once, but I have zero desire to ever engage with it again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. An enjoyable movie and I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic. Doing some reading shows it wasn't exactly a box office smash when it came out, and it's expensive, so a sequel seems unlikely? Shame, it seemed like a fun world to build upon.

There's one in the works because it did well enough overseas, but Blunt recently was skeptical of them being able to make schedules work out anytime soon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Comfort is temporary, plastic is forever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That reaction plus the title being Resurrections makes me hopeful that Neo is resurrected as a purely digital being focusing on the exploration of post-humanism and digital consciousness. That's a lot to pull from a little, but it'd be neat if it did something interesting with those ideas. Especially since it already pulled a decent amount from Ghost in the Shell the first time around.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It got a lot of good buzz when it picked up for revival distribution a few years back. I've been meaning to catch it since it looks like a blast, but I think it was only able to be bought and not rented when I last looked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Weirdly, I decided to stop watching very early into the third!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you REALLY wanna supercharge it, well...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TV Tropes has its uses, but it's not that. They're probably the most comprehensive sub-genre hub online. Want to find every cyberpunk thing? Every on-screen blob creature? Every homage to 1950s b-movies? You're not gonna find 'em on Wikipedia.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 17, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's a bummer. But he also hasn't been relevant since the Bush years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wouldn't've been a good game even without the typo. But it's very funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: Bautista continues to be my favorite celeb, which would sound like an insane statement just a few years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he's my favorite celeb, but he's definitely my favorite actor né wrestler.

I mean, low bar because I'm not a celeb person. But it seems like every time I hear about him it's because his politics are great or he's a great coworker or he's being super humble or whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe it's just my read, but I don't see that as him saying he's better than them. Bautista is a leftist and those guys are right-wing. I'd think politics would have significantly more to do with those comments, based on how much conviction he showed in a number of other situations ala the James Gunn debacle.

In being humble I was mostly referring to his comments around his acting and recognizing how much he needed to grow as an actor in order to do the roles he wanted to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
LAH is worse than bad—it's disappointing. It's got a great premise, the perfect star, a great setup of events, a few good gags, but doesn't do anything with it at all. As the movie goes on it practically forgets its parodic nature and barely plays around with Hollywood tropes or meta scenarios, slipping far too often into generic blockbuster territory. It's fun, and I'd certainly recommend it to someone looking to have a good time at the movies, but it fails its own premise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Geekboy posted:

Who is this even for?

Sports.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Crosspost from TVIV just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOAA1U0li8

On one hand, this looks absolutely nothing like Foundation. On the other hand, this looks like a show I really, really want to watch.

PeterCat posted:

Notice Lllewyn does not have a cat with him.

The Coens claim that the cat thing was a total coincidence. But who knows, that might be some self-mythologizing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm actually intrigued by the Avatar sequels, despite really not liking the first film. As has been discussed to death, the story was just such a tired white savior riff that brought nothing new to the table. But with that out of the way the subsequent movies can just be whatever big nutty space movies Cameron can cook up. The tech opens it up to explore the sorts of inter-solar sci-fi books that haven't really made their way on screen yet.

I still hate the navi design, though. Hopefully they'll tweak them a bit to make them look slightly less like derpy cats.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i can find enough garbage to watch on youtube without needing the rest

I caved and bought YouTube premium recently, their ads got too obnoxious and I realized I could cut HBO pretty easily instead. I'm thinking a bout just doing YT and Netflix, which I would also cut if my family didn't all use my account.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some people just like to dunk on a thing with no aspirations of insight.

e: Bond is fun because it's an experiment of remixing the same elements over and over again every few years and coming up with era-specific results, from earnest to meta to ironic in nature. Yeah, they lean on misogyny and exoticism and that's bad and you're welcome to dismiss them for those reasons, but it's a unique and fascinating series because of that, not in spite of it. Half the fun of a new Bond movie is seeing how they try really hard to make a drunken sex-crazed government agent with a penchant for murder who protects a corrupt monarchy an engaging, relatable protagonist this time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 1, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I could be talking about anything from the past 133 pages, couldn't I?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There is absolutely nothing you could do to get me to click on that play button.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Matrix sequels are ambitious and interesting, and that's better than good. But it would be nice if they were a bit more, y'know, enjoyable to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Matrix sequels would have been cooler if they were about other people waking up and escaping the matrix or not escaping the matrix and maybe Keanu or Morpheus shows up in one scene but are otherwise just characters talked about as myths. But that's not how Hollywood works and we got some meh movies instead. The first one is still great and late 90s AF and kicks rear end.

Yeah, I was bummed when I read Keanu was coming back. I wanted them to move on to other cool stories in that world. The Animatrix had way too much promise to just keep following Neo. I hope he's a background presence rather than protagonist, even though I know that's highly unlikely.

Matrix 2 should've been Kid's Story as a full feature, then Matrix 3 should've stuck with his perspective with Neo as an uncomfortable presence.

The sequels just didn't keep any of that street-level cyberpunk vibe, which is what I loved most about the first.

e: Maybe the new one will be a prequel with an earlier fuckup version of Neo or somesuch. Probably not, but I trust Lily to do something interesting with it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 2, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Overindulgent blockbusters are the exact thing that I think fan edits are good for. I watched a Peter Jackson's Kong fan edit that trimmed it down by like 1/3 and it was such a vastly better movie. Same with The Hobbit movies, though in that case the final product was still poo poo because there wasn't much good there to begin with. I bet the Matrix sequels have some very watchable fan edits out there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That cracked me the gently caress up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

checkplease posted:

What are some good movie related podcasts that people like? I am a big fan of art of the score for film music and the soundtrack show. I started listening to a Blank Check episode about Spirited away and then they spent the first 15 minutes talking about Shrek (and one of the 3 said he didnt even see it).

I tend to prefer informative movie podcasts over personality-based ones, so I'm right there with you. Some of these are lighthearted, some are significantly more dry:

The Best Movies Never Made details really cool films that never went into production, often with their screenwriters or would-be directors. Sometimes the big ones that make all our hearts hurt, sometimes interesting obscure ones you've never heard of.

Truth vs. Hollywood breaks down "based on a true story" movies and compares them to the actual historical record.

You Must Remember This is the essential movie podcast, breaking down all the insane figures and stories in Golden Age Hollywood in fascinating and exhaustive detail.

The Secret History of Hollywood is also great in a similar vein, though with a looser scope.

Monster Craze Memoirs from our very own kwaste is great if you dig 50s and 60s monster movies. He and his father, a teenager in the era, break down the history and thematic content of my favorite trash.

The Evolution of Horror is a great but dry academic take on its titular subject.

The Clones Cast is the world's authority on Brucesploitation movies going through the catalogue with a newbie, talking about the bizarre subgenre of martial arts films made in the wake of Bruce Lee's death (or was it??).

The House of Hammer is new but a promising chronological history of Hammer horror.

Out of the Past: Investigating Film Noir is long dead but quite good, an academic breakdown of some of the best of classic noir.

For comedic ones I only really listen to a couple, since I feel like you really have to gel with the comics' sense of humor for them to land at all. That being said:

With Gourley and Rust, which is a "cozy podcast" of a couple comedians lackadaisically and circuitously going through horror franchises entry by entry (Jason, Michael, and Freddy first, now expanded) and celebrating them more than examining them. They're a couple of sweeties with occasionally questionable taste brimming with love for these films and for each other.

The Film Reroll, in which some tabletop roleplaying dorks turn movies into unique new TTRPGs and then play through them, often drastically changing the plot in genuinely interesting ways as they go. They can get a bit obnoxious in the way that type of former-theatre-kid nerd sometimes can, but the Labyrinth, Jumanji, and Jaws episodes are fully worth your time if you're intrigued. With Labyrinth and Jumanji the DM comes up with preplanned elaborate alternative scenarios that fit right alongside their filmic counterparts. Jaws goes off the rails in a nutty way but they mostly play it real and just give us a weird twisted view of that storyline. Bill and Ted is also goofy fun and very fitting for their play-style.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 4, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good sequels are tough, because changing things is bad and keeping things the same is also bad. I think the Wachowskis were unsuccessful in identifying which things would be best to change or challenge, and which things would be best to maintain. I appreciate that they swung so big and changed so much so significantly, but for my tastes they kept and changed the wrong elements.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's because they flip the metaphor. The first film is basically just a conspiracy thriller with time-travel elements: the present is being colonized by aliens from the future, reptilian shapeshifters control government agencies, etc.

With the sequel(s), we have a perspective shift where the characters live in a postapocalyptic future-world and play fantasy MMORPGs all day. It's Ready Player One.

That's upsettingly good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Muriel's Wedding is very good. Just oozes charm and empathy and Toni Collette is just amazing in it. It wasn't really on my radar til a pal pitched it to me and threw on the trailer, but I feel like it should be talked about more. A bit John Waters, a bit Todd Solondz, a bit Taika Waititi. If you ever want a quirky medium-dark comedy with a huge heart, it should be at the top of your list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone here use Celtx?

Is it making GBS threads itself for anyone else or is that solely a problem on my end?

Everything takes ages to load and the script we were working on seems to have vanished into the ether.

I don't. But I will take this as an opportunity to pitch WriterDuet if you have a writing partner or other frequent collaborators. I started using it a few years ago when it was fairly janky but it's really impressing me these days. But SaaS so I'd call it a soft endorsement.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

This was confirmed. Frame by frame analysis reveals that several of the zombies are blue-blooded androids with metal skeletons. As for why and what it means, it’s anyone’s guess. Probably just fuckery.

There's a bunch of spinoffs including at least an animated series and a pre-zombie prequel. I'm sure it was just a tease to get people Asking Questions in anticipation of the Army of the Dead Cinematic Universe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

She was in the cinematic masterpiece Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just finished reading The Ten-Cent Plague about the rise and fall of horror comics in the 40s and 50s. Just heartbreaking and infuriating. It's more senseless than the Hayes Code and blacklist in Hollywood, in part because it really destroyed an entire industry and took away the voice of an entire generation of artists. We're only still just recovering from the fallout of it today. Highly recommend if you don't mind getting mad while you read.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ruddiger posted:

The newest marvel movie says Hydra was secretly running nazi Germany, the US, and the USSR.

:magemage:

Every bad thing that has ever happened is because of Hydra. They're just that evil!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've also heard that the film's attempt to spin his suicide into a meaningful message feels super gross.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I was considering maybe going to a theater again so I checked the listings at the theater in my area and Jesus Christ is this depressing.

I'm sure this is probably how the chains will stay alive which makes this some monkey's paw poo poo.

Move.

God I'm so spoiled in NYC. I found 4 rep movies I wanted to watch in theaters tonight, then I thought to check mainstream theaters and realized that Pig was out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I don't have any money. Or the ability to be employed. Both of these things make it impossible to live in a cool hipster place where they have arthouse theaters and record stores.

Kidnap a rich persons kid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Come crash on my couch. Maybe start with ransoming a wealthy dog so I can hang out with it before the exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So far in the marketing there's been no real hook for me, and I should be in the all-in camp. I like my sci-fi to be somewhat austere, but Dune looks like it's so austere there's barely any life left in it. Just kinda looks dry and bland. Hopefully it is not.