Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, I mean, so what? The only reason these guys show off like this is because they can and take selfies with cops. America returns to the regular nazi poo poo in 18 days.

i tend to agree but otoh, the beer hall putsch was also a joke carried out by incompetents and amateurs and look what they went on to accomplish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

One hundred percent of it?

Sure but what's the point of the S.A. when those guys can simply become cops or judges or politicians? It's not like any of them will get in trouble for it. Beer Hall Putsch is ominous because Hitler and a few others actually went to prison. All these people fanning themselves and fainting on TV really do the public a complete disservice when just last month they were making excuses for why ICE still exists or snapping at people who dared to say you should give the police one dollar less.

Oh absolutely, like the ultimate line that cannot be crossed is federal property damage but all the actual, real violence before that was fine. The prison thing is a good point - Hitler and pals got to go stew and plan and organize. Which is why America just never lets political prisoners out at all.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Good point keep talkin posted:

Had baiju once which was remarkably smooth tasting

You have to be the only person to have ever felt this way about baijiu

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TBH i think lexi alexander just likes to fight.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

I like living in a place that isn't in danger of exploding.

Where’s that

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It appears that Jessica Walter passed away

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I Before E posted:

Watching the 2004 NBA Finals.

Rip Hamilton.

Lmbo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Whoever coined the phrase “fictional universe” deserves an absolutely gnarly death

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

poo poo, I never noticed this. It's totally As I Lay Dying!

The parallels are clearer on stage, where the mother is traditionally represented by an animatronic fish that plays the banjo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think it’s really obvious that Chloe Zhao has never been poor a day in her life and she conceptualizes poverty as a state of emotional moorlessness similar to her own often discussed teenage restlessness, hence choosing as a subject migrant workers with a relatively atomized social structure instead of eg Latin American migrants who have communities that aren’t as deeply American or individualized.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pirate Jet posted:

But it’s not the case for the majority of the US. Most of us don’t have even have an Alamo Drafthouse nearby, let alone another company that goes above the baseline for acceptable A/V quality. (And whose top brass isn’t chock full ‘o creeps.)

The majority of the US lives in the 100 biggest cities or the counties they’re in actually. Sorry if you live in Wyoming or whatever, go look at a tree

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

It's getting into total speculative territory, but if theaters do collapse and there is still a sizable enough market of people who are willing to pay a premium to go watch a movie as a social event, I wonder if repertory theaters and second-run theaters could make a significant comeback. Instead of being the territory of current-day blockbusters, studios might drop licensing costs for back catalogue titles so folks can go get a bucket of popcorn and catch Jurassic Park with their pals.

Take a gander at what Disney did with the Fox catalogue and reperatory screenings: the answer is no

Markets do not actually give people what they want, they convince people to want what they get

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah the relative of expense of the theatres now compared to Nickelodeons and quarter shows and dollar theatres and all that in the past is a function of static wages for four decades plus all theatres being owned by 4 conglomerates buying movies from studios that are also owned by 4 conglomerates. Look at a country like India, where there are still a hundred studios and you can make a movie for nothing. It doesn’t cost poo poo and people go constantly

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Cinemark's been closed since 2019 I think. It sucks, I used to spend days off going to their $5 matinees. B&B will probably also have to deal with the basement that floods with poo poo whenever it rains.

Nationalize Moviepass.

That’s just vouchers, a subsidy for the movie industry. Nationalize the theatres, and the studios

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Have you seen Long Day’s Journey Into Night

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TrixRabbi posted:

The Bi Gan film? Yeah it’s really good.

Your complaints about blocking made me think of it, specifically, I don’t think the situation is as dire either relatively or absolutely as you make it sound though. There’s always been a lot of tossed off garbage, and there are a lot of well realized and distinctive movies coming out now. I don’t think there was ever a golden age to have lost

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Yeah I like Sorkin.

https://mobile.twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112?lang=en

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

OK but organized crime is glamorous and fun. That's why people do it.

Absolutely. Criminals are the definition of cool, what the gently caress else does cool mean? The thing is that these criticisms are all about how movies should be morality plays, and coming entirely from offended Marvel fans. Unlike being a loving mobster, being a PMC in a mascot uniform isn’t cool at all, and it’s at least as evil

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I, Butthole posted:

This looks like it was filmed in the same location as One Cut of the Dead

I thought the same thing

I'm trying to figure out which of those full screen pans are invisible cuts.

I count three I think

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The movie by the trans lady that portrays race as a construct with no meaning outside our current cultural context is good and the literal opposite of racism actually

(i mean i think the movie is just alright but saying race is as much a fake idea as gender in the campiest, crudest way is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Obviously anecdotal, but the people I know who watch absurd amounts of TV don't actually watch TV, they listen to it while they're doing other things (chores, crafts, light reading, games and puzzles, etc.), so I try to factor that in, both in terms of how much time that makes available and what works well when consumed that way.

Yeah I often think, goddamn where do these people find the time but then you read a thread about anything you’ve watched and find that most of the people who “watched” it absolutely have no idea what happened because they in fact did not