Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am looking forward to Nomadland and Minari being available to wide release in February. I’m assuming this will entail availability on some or other streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm gonna have to hunker down and see some of the more acclaimed films of 2020 because I'd barely caught up with 2019 when theaters shut down.

Like I hear First Cow is pretty good?

Yeah, First Cow is really good. Other 2020 movies I've seen that are at least "real good" if not better (or maybe late 2019s that I got to in 2020) are Another Round, Bacurau, The Twentieth Century, and Blow the Man Down.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I felt like it built the tension and dread so well and then, just before the movie releases the tension, it gives you my favourite "these guys are so hosed" scene ever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

No that's not what "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism means". It means that you personally can't do good in the world by shopping at Trader Joes instead of Target. The burden is not on you to live a moral life through your consumption because there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. It all feeds the same machine. It's not your responsibility to find the right things to buy to be a good person, because the entire idea that you can be a good person by buying the right things is just marketing.

I believe the rattle is quite right with respect to how the argument frequently gets deployed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Did you angrily point the cat's crotch at the vet and ask where the scrotum was?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

https://bloodknife.com/everyone-beautiful-no-one-horny/

I came across this article on the sexlessness in (some) modern films, which I know has been brought up a few times in this forum.

This is really good. I particularly like the point about McMansion's being designed primarily for resale value, and the analogy that bodies are no longer to be lived in but rather trained for combat. I actually think that point could be pushed even further, about the demands for commodification of everything, and the economic value maximization of every facet of our lives. In this sense, physical shaping can also be tied to something like the gig (formerly sharing) economy and side hustles, where former leisure time and leisure activities are now for generating more exchange value.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Fury Road isn't exactly horny but it's got a funky sexual vibe that I find difficult to put into words.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really appreciate that they don't really sexualize Furiosa or Joe's brides; like there's the first time Max sees them washing off and drinking water after the sandstorm and you think just for a second that it's going to be like a 80s metal video or carwash scene or something, then you realize that it's the water that Max is so thirsty for and not the women.

Schwarzwald posted:

Fury Road is in agreement with the article, being a film but a story about the commoditization of desexualized bodies, but in that respect its almost anti-horny.

Immortan Joe wants his wives for their capacity to provide him sons. The scene when Max looks past the bathing wives to thirst at the water is pretty much the line "they don’t dream of women, but of cheeseburgers and fries" from the article. Capable's relationship with Nux is motherly. The struggle to achieving reproductive freedom is not at all libidinal but lies in controlling resources: the Citadel's water, Immortan's infrastructure, and the bodies of those that live and work there (as represented by the flower seeds). And when Furiosa and Max swap fluids, they do not gently caress but become blood brothers.

Shortly after the movie came out there was a nice blogpost somewhere about the storyboarding of this scene, how it had changed from having boobs and butts and the axes of the shot to the water being the focus.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Makes me want to see some sort of ranked list of every single Best Picture winner. Are there any articles like that out there that actually go through every single year?

Punched it in to the search engine and, aptly, the first hit had Argo ranked dead last.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

therattle posted:

May I all remind you of Crash.

I'd really rather you didn't.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

One gains a deep appreciation for how capitalism works when one takes time to think about how many thousands of dollars of labour hours were spent determining the rabbit's ideal fuckability.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Finally watched Minari, as I try to catch up on the best picture nominees. I found it kinda disappointing, in that the movie was the high end of 'good' but short of 'very good'. I think it ends up kinda limited by the auto-biographical element, which means that some of the sharpest ideas don't get sufficiently explored. Examples:

(1) Like, the parents work as chicken sexers. The first time David visits, he asks what the smokestack is. Dad comments that it's for the male chicks, who are considered unproductive. So the movie starts with the very sharp idea it's not just you have to be productive or perish, but you have to be valuable to certain people or they will dispose of you. And that's definitely the central tension in the movie, but I feel like they never really push it very far.

(2) You have a tension between 'success' and 'family' which isn't resolved, and while the non-resolution is genuine it feels like it isn't really... robust enough if that's the right term.

(3) Then there's the fact that the farm's employee is a Korean war vet. Like they do some stuff with it, but I really feel like they needed to do more.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Has anyone else seen Promising Young Woman? I thought the visuals were quite good, but the story didn't quite pull together and it seemed to kinda get stuck at affirming the righteousness of the viewer. Like the point of the story became to affirm the badness of people whose badness wasn't in doubt, and instead of offering insight into that badness, or a new way of understanding it, the film just kinda keeps restating the same point.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I don't think the film is about re-affirming that the bad people are bad. I took it to be more about how Cassandra is wrecked by the injustice of her friend's rape and suicide. Her friend is irreversibly dead, and Cassandra is no longer living. She's wracked with androphobia, PTSD, which has basically crippled her into arrested development. Her revenge up until the finale is partially a condescension towards predatory nice guys, and seems more about her want to have control while doing what she thinks is a "good thing". Her vigilantism is pretty misguided, cuz even friends of guys she has confronted, who heard the story and were freaked out by it, are STILL going to the bars and open to taking home drunk girls in order to rape them.

Two of the biggest scenes that frame Cassandra's struggle is her conversation with her friend's mother who has managed to move on without losing her melancholy or sense of loss, which Cassandra can't accomplish, and the scene with her and Alfred Molina, where she is confronted with what she was looking for (someone repentant for their enabling rape culture), but it disappoints her, leaves her empty.

That's why the film ends the way it does. The only thing that will release Cassandra from her pain is her own demise, which she ultimately plans and has some control over. It's a suicide mission. Her feeling betrayed by Ryan after realizing he was at the (gang)rape is her going past the point of no return. She's been moving on and living her own life and feeling a sense of happiness with a man who was at her friend's rape. That destroys all the positive growth she's had up until that point, and kinda proves her original idea correct.

So, it's moreso about how rape revenge is a flawed concept, because it doesn't directly address rape culture and the people that enable it, and that rape (and suicide) hurt more than just the victim, but the family and friends around them, and leaves them also feeling different forms of guilt: I couldn't prevent it; I'm here and they're not; I wish I could prevent this from happening to someone else. Cassandra's goal of confronting would-be-rapists, while "good", still shows she's not really growing, or doing the right thing, and is consumed with survivor's guilt.

There's a lot more to talk about with it, cuz it leaves a lot of room for discussion, but I was taken more by the deep sadness inherent with the flaws with Cassandra and her plans, and didn't even bother with thinking that the obviously lovely men she confronts are obviously lovely.

I feel like I agree with your description of the movie, but see it as supporting my evaluation. Take Cassandra's characterization, and the character arc. She begins as a figure of righteous vengeance, specifically targeting 'nice guys' laden with 'nice guy' signifiers. The revenge narrative is confronted with the movie's rom-com narrative, and the movie transitions fully to the rom-com part with the two meetings that you identify. But then the rom-com is undone not just through Ryan's badness, but through his involvement in the defining event that looms over the full movie. At this point the movie fully reverts to the revenge narrative. The romantic comedy has been proven false, and the hope that the rom-com presents has been proven false.

So how does this support what I say? I think it doesn't so much undo the growth shown over the 2nd act, but it suggests that the growth wasn't really growth at all. Her beliefs of the first act aren't just proven right, but the movie completely reverts to the dynamics of the first act where we have the righteous avenger against the whole bad world. But the reversion to those battle lines aren't brought about by any insight or thematic development, it's simply revealed that the guy who seemed to be good was bad all along. I think this also informs the climax. It's not just that she has to die to escape her pain, she has to die because there's nowhere (intellectually) for the movie to take her character. She was righteous, she was right all along, so she dies to the badness that affirms her righteousness. The bad guys stay bad, and their badness concretizes even further as the rapist turns into a murderer.

In this sense, I don't think there's any lack of character growth per se. She started righteous and she ended righteous. She's righteous because of her relationship to the bad people, and the nature of the badness of the bad people never really changes. She dies because her righteousness is defined entirely by being subject to the bad people's badness. There's no "lack" of character growth because, in the most importance sense, the character began morally fully formed.

Or something like that.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m mostly confused by a film that indicts the police for their complacency and apathy of rape culture but also depends on them to be victorious at the end.

I feel like that part is deliberately unrealistic to the point of being fantastical. It's a 'wouldn't it be nice' that serves to underline just how much the legal system is part of the problem.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I genuinely didn't clock Cassandra as selfish. Rather, her character is defined by telling the truth (most specifically about Nina) but having nobody believe her. After all, her name is Cassandra. Consequently, she's not doing what she's doing for herself, rather she's doing what she's doing as a way of confronting people with the truth. On this read, then, the conversations that lead to the second act — Nina's mother and the cop — become not a source of character growth but rather delusion. They lead her away from righteousness and towards selfishness. But the selfishness ultimately comes apart because, in the end, rape culture is still ubiquitous and righteousness within rape culture — as represented by Ryan's embarrassed passivity in the video — is nothing but righteousness in complicity. This leads us to the third act where righteousness can only operate through confrontation.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The second winning for making an Amazon commercial is equally depressing, time will not be kind in the slightest to Nomadland.

I found the movie way too melancholy to consider it an endorsement of Amazon. I took it more as 'corporations have annihilated the American dream, supplanting the land itself as a force of nature, but at least we can find some limited freedom in choosing how we die'.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Haven’t seen Nomadland but that is no poo poo a great way for a corporation to advertise themselves. The dread victor gracefully and earnestly eulogizing the vanquished past, offering what little hope they can to the powerless disaffected, and making a ton of cash in the process.

I feel like there is a great gap between what you say (which I limitedly agree with, though I'm not sure just how much it can be put on the movie), and the original claim. It's not celebratory of or deferential to Amazon. It won't 'age poorly' since it doesn't present any mistaken view about Amazon's goodness.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It's quite literally made with the express permission and endorsement of Amazon. You've seen Superbowl commercials - a 30 second spot for Dodge trucks is also melancholy. You can absolutely view that as nuanced and mature but a company that wants to buy up Hollywood and used borderline illegal tactics to combat one warehouse unionizing selling you a movie about the dignity of poverty or whatever is rancid.

It's made with their permission and it's limited by that. Criticism of Amazon is slight, made very indirectly, and not especially threatening to them. That's still well short of considering the movie some kind of celebration or vindication of Amazon's bigness.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It doesn't need to be any more dramatic than presenting as Amazon as "good, honest work" to be a complete fabrication. This is the problem with sponsored depictions in the first place.

It's not "good, honest work" it's the work of last resort. What's there to catch people when everything else has failed. And, both in reality and as depicted in the movie, everything else has failed because of Amazon (and Amazon as a stand-in for the machinations of global capital). As with the rest of the movie's resigned-to-death attitude, the 'honesty' of working for Amazon doesn't come from the goodness of Amazon but it's badness; it's only honest because there's nothing better left.

Anybody have anything nice to say about August Osage County? I don’t, because I don’t remember anything about it besides “eat the fish, bitch.” What is it with Letts and the coercive consumption of fish/poultry?

I remember thinking it was decently good. It's sort of about the echoes of American history, with Meryl Streep's matriarch having been made extremely cruel by the process of surviving the Great Depression. I remember finding Julia Roberts character quite good, especially the part where she tells her daughter "die after me."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

The most disturbing part of Killer Joe was them calling it the K-fried C

Hearing that again makes me think it's really great efficient characterization of "idiots who think they're clever."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Has anyone here seen the new adaptation of Waiting for the Barbarians? I just watched it and was pleasantly surprised. Was expecting a real bastardization of the book but it was amazingly faithful in content and tone. I recommend.

I hadn't realized it had actually come out. What service is it on?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Would be curious if The Rattle has any insight into this, but I've chalked the death of horny up to 1. Family friendly PG-13 movies that are too expensive to risk the kid audience 2. The growing dependence on the international market and the need to make poo poo that's palatable for overseas censors.

Hence, why TV, which can be more reliant on U.S. (or Western) centric adult audiences gets all the horny these days.

Last time the topic came up here someone posted this piece which I found quite good. It situates the lack of horniness in movies in a kind of cult of the body where the body is to be maximized for some kind of physical or economic combat. The body is entirely a tool for generating exchange value and ascending hierarchy. Within that ideology, pleasure is a kind of distraction, almost a weakness of the will.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The West Wing sucks but I don't see why everyone's so mad about the influence it had on politics when we have garbage right wing shows like 24 out there writing legal decisions by proxy.

People get more upset about things they expect better from.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Speaking of revisionist Westerns, is First Cow one of those, or is it something distinct?

First Cow is very distinct, and very good. I strongly recommend watching it, just be ready for it to be sloooooow.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Lynch is famously nice and funny, Tarantino and Spielberg are always very excited about movies and are infectious about it, Snyder is nice and learns seemingly every single person’s name on set from every extra all the way up, The Coens are nice but anal-retentive about their scripts to the point where - I forget who told this story - they walked up to one of the actors during a shoot and was like “you said this line with a comma in the middle, it’s actually two sentences and should be said that way.”
Actor responds, “Oh, I thought it was a typo.”
We don’t have typos.” And the Coen walked away.

Guillermo is a guy people love, too. I think it was John Hurt who described as “he has to be such a large man because it’s the only size that could fit the amount of love he has.” And the actress playing little girl Mako deciding she’d call him Totoro because she couldn’t say Guillermo and him just being over the moon about it.

Cronenberg is another nice guy. But he’s Canadian, so you expect it.

And there aren’t any real stories out there, but it seems pretty obvious that Justin Lin is loved by the Fast cast since he’ll have done half or more than half the drat franchise by the time they wrap up the Toretto Saga.

Would this be Nicolas Cage? I seem to remember Cage explaining that he didn't work with the Coens after Raising Arizona because they needed what happened to be exactly as they wanted it, which left him no room to be Nic Cage about things.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There is new promotional material for the new Space Jam movie and it is worse than you expected. Yes, worse than that:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1410634202693967876

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Pig is wonderful but I have to disagree with everyone who said it's nothing like Taken. It's exactly like Taken, but in the context of climate change (and the emotional outlooks that entails) rather than 9/11.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973870

The Olympic Torch relay is now making its way through Cinema Discusso.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I want to see Pig but I don't want to be sad

how sad is Pig?

I did not find Pig to be very sad, but I liked it very much. It’s very melancholy, but I didn’t find it as sharply sad as I did with The Grey (which I think is the closest partner movie to Pig). In a way, Pig is a lot like The Grey but in the context of global warming rather than 9/11. They’re movies about loss and catastrophe, about the paterfamilias figure dealing with his family falling apart, finding the mature response in the face of that loss, and confronting the question of how you create (or maintain) value in the face of death.

Great movie. Doubt you’ll regret watching it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Does he ever wig out

He absolutely destroys a guy by having a long, soulful talk about what that guy truly valued, what he wanted to accomplish, and how he needs to stop soiling his life by chasing the superficialities of bourgeois praise.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Finally watched The Muppet Movie after decades of putting it off. Delightful, of course. But it made me curious: what are some other films which are just extremely pleasant and utterly earnest?

The Paddingtons and the Bill and Teds come to mind immediately. 2019's Little Women.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also the whole secret network of Replicant rebels waiting for the go on a slave rebellion. being a tiny detail mentioned in one scene felt a bit strange aside from being used to drive the plot forward.

It's part of the idea that Ryan Gosling is not special. You've got this whole important, world-changing political movement happening, but it's just happening elsewhere. He's so far removed from it he doesn't even see it. This is of a piece with how the movie ends: we stay with Ryan Gosling dying outside, as Deckard disappears to see his daughter.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Just watched Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. It seemed really good, but I'd be lying if I said I fully grasped it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gripweed stop trolling the movie forum chat thread and everyone else stop falling for it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Since I know there are a few Toronto area people here, the TIFF schedule was released today. I've circled Dug Dug; One Second; Vengeance Is Mine, All Others Pay Cash; and The Middle Man as four movies I'm interested in. Now the question is to see how comfortable I feel about actually sitting in a theatre in September.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

drat they finally made a Dig Dug movie?

Is there a story behind this? I just saw it on the list and thought it looked potentially cool.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

therattle posted:

I’m involved in a film called Mlungu Wam which is really worth checking out - it’s a horror set in South Africa about the lingering effects of apartheid and the servant/employer relationship.

Oh, I noticed that one. It looked interesting but I really have no stomach for horror.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is the next stage in the aestheticization of politics. “Turn your brain off” is now the demand of moving from movies to real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Yes of course. But 9/11 conspiracy theories permeated mainstream culture in a way all the bonkers NWO and faked moon landing poo poo never did. And it was accepted more easily than those kind of things. 9/11 trutherism in particular is the road that lead to where we are now.

Last I checked, as long as data has been recorded, levels of conspiracy belief in the US population have been stable (and quite high). What makes 9/11 trutherism and its cluster of theories stand out to us is that for North Americans our age, it's the first 'core' conspiracy theory. It exists in our peer group so we encounter it (and feel it) differently than we do JFK conspiracists, or moon landing conspiracists. We've already started to see 2016-centred conspiracy theories displace Trutherism, and 2016-centred theories will be in turn displaced by something a decade from now.