Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So uh, when did we get two new mods for CineD? Totally missed that...

A belated congratulations to D3X and Machete Zombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Since Lexi is the topic du jour, here's my contribution

https://twitter.com/mattboydsmith/status/1362431878574260226?s=19

She absolutely comes off as an rear end in a top hat

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Finally managed to catch up on Doom Patrol. Why didn't any of you say it was so good?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Making a post like that is basically lighting the CPLsignal into the Gotham sky.

Yeah I was being extremely facetious with the intended purpose to tweak his nose specifically

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

What the gently caress is Doom Patrol?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've never seen a superman movie except for superman returns and justice league. What should I watch first

Man of steel
Superman with christopher reeves

This is gonna be a smoldering hot take: The Reeves Superman films are nice time capsules but they aged terribly and are cheesy in the worst ways. Man of Steel is a great reimagining of the character and updated him for the modern day and is absolutely worth watching.

If you really wanna watch the reeves films, go with one and two then go watch MoS.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

YOU'RE A NICE TIME CAPSULE!

Correct, I too aged terribly and am cheesy in the worst ways

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

The movies are just a reflection of the era of the comic books. So the 70s stuff is kind of campy but kind of serious where as the modern superhero books are a bunch of maudlin grimdark bullshit. That's why the Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Nolan Batman movies are so different from one another.

That said the list of essential comic book movies is Batman: The Movie, Batman, Batman Returns, Blade, Dick Tracy, and the Rocketeer. Just watch all that stuff. I can't say for sure which is the best but the one I would most be enthusiastic about watching right now is Blade. Blade just rules.

Now THAT SAID, Doom Patrol is what you should really watch.

I vociferously disagree, I think MoS is a pretty optimistic film that isn't afraid to take itself seriously instead of being campy or self-effacing, which is a bit of a rarity in superhero films.

I will agree with Doom Patrol though, well worth watching

Geekboy posted:

Every time I watch Superman '78 I'm actually surprised at how well it holds up.

I can't imagine any reason I'd watch Man of Steel, ever again.

The Superman and Lois tv pilot from earlier this year is the best Superman movie since the Donner cut of Superman 2.

Superman 4: A Quest for Peace or whatever it's called is absolute garbage. Jon Cryer's worst work. Which, Cryer seems like a nice guy but I feel both confident in my assessment and like I'm really saying something there.

Super nuclear triple hot take: I like Superman 3 way more than Superman 1.

Superman 4 sucks though, I think that's an universal truth.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why anyone would try to denigrate those movies just to try to make Man of Steel seem better or more important, but then I don't attach my entire sense of self to bad corporate products.

We're having a nice casual chat, please don't ruin it by being snide.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Superman 3 is the best superhero movie, period. What beats Richard Pryor and evil robot ladies? Nothing.

RIGHT?! It even has drunk Superman! It's great!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there any piece of media that all superman fans agree on? Superman the animated series? Smallville? Louis and clark?!

the animated DCAU Justice league series is universally agreed as good, I guess? It hits enough high notes that people like it and consider it good but not enough low points or controversial enough for people to dislike it. Lois and Clark was fun but it's tainted by Dean Cain becoming a chud, and not that many people actually watched it, afaik.

All star Superman is also universally praised.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

even the biggest Smallville fans in the world will generally admit that's it's a terrible show lol

I've never heard of anyone who hated Superman TAS, but it's a little overshadowed by Batman TAS, with the latter broadly regarded as brilliant animation as well as pushing the limits of what could be done with children's cartoons and paving the way for deeper and more story-driven shows, while the former is just "yeah it's pretty good and that one episode about Superman wanting to accomplish something substantive as Clark Kent is an all-timer."

I think the Superman TAS is just generally agreed to be kinda bland, and never really reaching its potential

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Zack Snyderís Justice League: Justice is Grey Edition

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gripweed, please keep your daddy issues contained to the appropriate threads tia

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Monster Hunter is kinda weird. It feels like they wrote the script assuming they were gonna get a much smaller budget than they did. Half the runtime is two characters in a cave dodging giant spiders. You could film that script on a syfy budget.

And when they got more money than expected they decided to spend a lot of the extra money on shots where the camera zooms out to reveal a big CGI landscape. All together that's another ten percent of the runtime right there.

Giant Spiders you say?
Was Jon Peters involved?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

But within the studios it's just dire. Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig are maybe the best mainstream options. Comedy is dead, fuckin' Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are like the only other ones who can make a movie worth looking forward to anymore. At least Danny McBride is killing it on TV. Birds of Prey was a nice surprise and once in a blue moon you get a Cats or a Book of Henry out of some spectacular miscalculation.

I just want superheroes to go away. But they're not going to and cinema's just becoming another niche hobby.

Actually, one thing to amend. Bad Trip made me laugh my rear end off. Long live Eric Andre, may he save the studio comedy.

Zack Snyders Army of the Dead is coming in like 3 weeks, so that's your visual storyteller AND no superheroes!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ok, Iíll bite: what exactly is the fantastic visual storytelling on display in rian johnsonís star wars: the last jedi

Took the bait, you did. Begun, the derail has hmmmm

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, you guys remember when someone came in to CineD to try and promote their fanmade Nightwing movie that then got laughed out of the forums?

She was the editor of that, lol

Her biggest claim to fame is editing an episode of Ninjago, and that went to her head

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Social media is a toxic waste dump filled with awful people who have all the worst takes. Twitter is the worst of it.
Case in point. I don't understand why people can't just take a loving seat instead of doubling down on being an rear end in a top hat. It's like Twitter puts some kind of spell on people that makes them want to piss everyone off or potentially gently caress up their own lives the second they download the app.

The real gag of it all is that this person started the rant against Kurosawa just to poo poo on a particular director who recently said the Seven Samurai was his favorite film, and it blew up in her face and she got to be the main character of twitter for a day

I'll give you all one guess who that director was

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Skwirl posted:

The one who famously only makes gangster films that are about how being a gangster is cool and good?

That's a good guess actually, but no, it's this one

ruddiger posted:

I would have guessed the good ole Zack Attack.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I see people coming in all night

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is like a scene from a conspiracy thriller people would criticize for being too heavy handed

What on earth? I need a source for that

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1400630096592003074?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

That's a bummer. But he also hasn't been relevant since the Bush years.

He did manage to get...health benefits for the firefighters that got like, lung cancer from all the asbestos they inhaled during 9/11 or something? It was kind of a big thing