Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The issue is that character death in many games isn't a designed mechanic so much as a pile of hack job impromptu kludge fixes that have reached the untouchable status of Tradition and are now pretty much copy pasted wholesale into new games and further kludged into shape from there. There's not a lot of thought put into "what kind of game do we want to make and what mechanics will inspire that", and if there is thought put in it's after the existing cargo cult mechanics have already been set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A house rule suggested in 13th age is that only named NPCs can kill a PC. That way you don't die to bandit number 7, but can be dragged off to be killed by Ex-Prince Evilheart. This gives you the obvious out of being rescued, but you can also choose to die as part of a plot point.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Speaking of death and resurrection... the way I handled it last I made a homebrew was that a single character that "died" in a fight never died, they were just beaten unconscious. They'd eventually recover next time the party made camp, but pick up an "injury," some sort of temporary debilitation. If not treated, said injury eventually became a "scar," a sort of sidegrade based on their randomly rolled injury(like having a poorly-healed leg wound might make your walk an odd hobble that made you move slower but made it hard to predict so it was a permanent passive defensive buff), which it would require expensive medical care or magic to unfuck.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, you don't even need to do something directly to the players.

The villain KO's them and they spend the next week or two breaking out of Bad Hero Jail or slogging out of the Chasm of Very Large Snails that he tossed them into, in the meantime, the villain's plans have advanced, possibly even faster than planned because he now no longer has to worry about the PC's for a bit(or, he thinks, permanently) or because he wants to hurry up and complete them because now he knows someone's aware of his plans.

Maybe that advancement of his plans steamrolls Niceville, where the players spent level 1 fighting extra large squirrels and making friends with the townsfolk. Some of them might've died defending their homes, others have had to flee or are now under the oppressive yoke of Big Villain.

If your players actually give a gently caress about the setting and some of the people in it, it's entirely possible to "punish" them for failure in ways that aren't just killing or crippling their characters.

Empire of Dust, a game I apparently never get tired of banging the drum for, had good answers for all of this more than a decade ago; PCs that go to “0 HP” (glossing over the exact combat mechanics for now) are unconscious but can be revived by teammates. If they are damaged further (or take especially nasty kinds of damage while healthy) they are “gored” and removed from the battlefield entirely in a quantum state of health; after the combat is resolved, their player decides if the PC is dead or lives on with a scar of some kind (which equates to stat damage, which isn’t necessarily a big deal due to the way characters advance).

Fights end when everyone on one side is unconscious or gored. A TPK results in a roll on the consequence table, which ranges from left for dead, robbed and left for dead (with a trail to follow), taken captive, etc. I believe it might also potentially include a roll on the long-term consequence table (which also gets used when significant amounts of time pass, the party gets lost or waylaid traveling the badlands, etc) which changes the state of the game’s overall war against Sci-Fi Satan (cities change hands, important NPCs are assassinated, etc), but not necessarily to the detriment of the players.

EoD is great, super fun beer-and-pretzels “let’s go fight some dudes” sci-fantasy van art game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, I love EoD, but none of the art in it is good enough for a van

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
In a Fellowship game I ran, when one of the PCs was Taken Out, Death itself came and had a nice cozy chat (after the battle was resolved). Death helpfully offered to resolve some of the character's problems in life in exchange for their soul. If the player accepted, their character was dead-dead but the world would be a better place going forward.

The player ended up not accepting Death's terms, and so their character woke up, not entirely sure if that was a hallucination.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey everyone, I just relaunched my crowdfunding for Ariadne and Bob a few hours ago, and we've already funded a game variant written by Vel Mini, and we're a few $$ away from a cyberpunk playset written by Ettin.

The game rules, and the guest writers are going to make it even better. Help us fund even more!

I'm experimenting with having the project up on multiple platforms simultaneously so that anyone who is unhappy with Kickstarter can get it somewhere else. It's hard for me to know how many people are really boycotting Kickstarter.

Kickstarter
IndieGoGo
Itch

Unsurprisingly, all of the backers so far are on Kickstarter, since I expect they came over from the first Kickstarter that didn't make it, but I'll be interested to see where any new people go when they come onboard.

If you are interested, there is no harm in backing on any of the three platforms. IndieGoGo allows for "Flexible Funding" so I can collect from them even if I only get a handful of people there, and obviously with Itch I get the money right away.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Heyyyyyyy is there a discord for the trad games goons to get together and talk about the best way to decorate their mother's basement?
[JOKE]
Seriously though I'm working on a TTG and would like some assistance from the other smart people who give ten bucks to lowtax.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Skunkrocker posted:

Heyyyyyyy is there a discord for the trad games goons to get together and talk about the best way to decorate their mother's basement?
[JOKE]
Seriously though I'm working on a TTG and would like some assistance from the other smart people who give ten bucks to lowtax.

There is a pretty large discord, although we're not tightly affiliated with SA any longer. It's open to basically anyone who wants to hang out and be part of the community - provided you abide by the rules, so try not to get into trouble on your first day there. Come on over.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've been playing Dragon's Dogma lately and geeze, I want to sit anyone down who is making a combat based RPG with the usual d&d tropes and archetypes and make them play that game/review combat in it.
Every archetype is viable, the tanks have major crowd control and either can be built for mobility or creating giant gently caress off zones any enemy who enters gets punished.
Casters have to be strategic in their positioning and absolutely can outnuke other classes if they can position themselves right/have distractions but rely on other classes to set up those combos and keep them safe.
Also the whole grey HP/recoverable amount could be a way of doing something surge-like without triggering verisimilitude whiners.
Have every attack do a current HP and HP cap damage, current HP can be restored through healing, HP cap damage only gets removed with a long rest.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Oh right I should probably mention this here:
A little while ago I published Red Rook Revolt. Red Rook Revolt is a game about anarchist revolutionaries fighting back against the invasion of their homeland, using ancient dark magic to shoot fascists and imperialists.
My mechanical focus while making the game was on making a game where bonds and friendships between player characters matter, and making combat fast, fluid, and dangerous - that is, making movement important and enemies both fragile and dangerous, though overall tipped in the player's favor. The main mechanical inspiration for the combat is, of all things, the indie video game HyperLight Drifer.

Anyway, if any of that sounds fun, you can find the game on DTRPG and Itch.io

https://magnusth.itch.io/red-rook-revolt
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/382835/Red-Rook-Revolt

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Magnusth posted:

Oh right I should probably mention this here:
A little while ago I published Red Rook Revolt. Red Rook Revolt is a game about anarchist revolutionaries fighting back against the invasion of their homeland, using ancient dark magic to shoot fascists and imperialists.
My mechanical focus while making the game was on making a game where bonds and friendships between player characters matter, and making combat fast, fluid, and dangerous - that is, making movement important and enemies both fragile and dangerous, though overall tipped in the player's favor. The main mechanical inspiration for the combat is, of all things, the indie video game HyperLight Drifer.

Anyway, if any of that sounds fun, you can find the game on DTRPG and Itch.io

https://magnusth.itch.io/red-rook-revolt
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/382835/Red-Rook-Revolt

Wow this sounds incredible thank you!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Tulip posted:

Wow this sounds incredible thank you!

There's something about lefty RPGs that brings out the trolls.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, people are gonna buy multiple copies of that dumb game to prove a point, aren't they?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can’t pilot the death star. Unplayable.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Walks into a Mexican Restaurant, asks why sushi isn't on the menu.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Forming the revolutionaries for when the PCs succeed to revolution them right back.

Magnusth, what’s the homeland’s setting like? Is it predefined or build as you go?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Libertad! posted:

Walks into a Mexican Restaurant, asks why sushi isn't on the menu.

I'd say it's more like walking into a Spanish restaurant and being pissed they don't have burritos.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Well, Brinkwood Blood of the Tyrants also has no rules for playing full vampire. With was frankly disappointing because then you can both have blood of the tyrants and drink it and eat the rich. I mean there is an option for disgruntled lesser noble, but that is not the same thing.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Forming the revolutionaries for when the PCs succeed to revolution them right back.

Magnusth, what’s the homeland’s setting like? Is it predefined or build as you go?

The homeland, and the rest of the setting, are predefined. You could, in theory, run it in some other setting, but as written it's very much intended to work with the setting I made for it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Well, Brinkwood Blood of the Tyrants also has no rules for playing full vampire. With was frankly disappointing because then you can both have blood of the tyrants and drink it and eat the rich. I mean there is an option for disgruntled lesser noble, but that is not the same thing.

Vampires in Brinkwood are anyone who consumes the magic blood enough, and then if you cut yourself off you lose the powers. The blood is a literal and metaphorical representation of inordinate wealth. Being a full-blown vampire in Brinkwood would be like rolling up a filthy rich king and expecting 100,000,000.00 starting gold pieces.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Nuns with Guns posted:

Vampires in Brinkwood are anyone who consumes the magic blood enough, and then if you cut yourself off you lose the powers. The blood is a literal and metaphorical representation of inordinate wealth. Being a full-blown vampire in Brinkwood would be like rolling up a filthy rich king and expecting 100,000,000.00 starting gold pieces.

There is huge difference between top and bottom feeders in that system but yeah. Anyway related to above posts this game also does not provide the rules for playing operatives of the regime unless you already fallen out with it.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
"this is why our dumb racist superhero game that's only on the list because a) it's new, and b) spamming purchases by morons who don't play RPGs is in the top ten instead of your game"

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 31, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I always laugh when I get another Ed Greenwood red text. Thanks Trad Games.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

You're really invested in the Forgotten Realms, and I respect that. :unsmith:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I hope someone gets me one for Dragonlance someday.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Arivia posted:

At least someone is remembering these realms

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
im gonna get into blood bowl just so I can make a boston team

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Libertad! posted:

I hope someone gets me one for Dragonlance someday.

Be careful what you wish for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

John Romero posted:

Orcs, but racist

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Orcs, but racist

So Bostonians

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lmao

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

House elves love being slaves! It's fine! they don't know any other life

Serf
May 5, 2011

John Romero posted:

Back in college we would play the Blood Bowl PC game at work and one guy playing elves had named his quarterback Tom Bradafell and succeeded in making him just as insufferable as his namesake. I played skaven and eventually my only mission became to injure Tom Bradafell beyond repair. Winning the game wasn't a concern, I just wanted blood.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Serf posted:

Back in college we would play the Blood Bowl PC game at work and one guy playing elves had named his quarterback Tom Bradafell and succeeded in making him just as insufferable as his namesake. I played skaven and eventually my only mission became to injure Tom Bradafell beyond repair. Winning the game wasn't a concern, I just wanted blood.
Sounds like my goblin and hafling teams in leagues. I felt like playing teams that absolutely couldn't win made up for the fact I was trying to injure them far more fair than doing the same as a dwarf or orc team. Plus it was hilarious whenever I managed to actually score a point by hurling my own players, or broke a QB's neck along with my thrown halfling's.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
on the topic of death and failure in TRPGs, I've been playing a lot of Arkham Knight lately and something that game does is that sometimes, if you go on a mission and fail, you don't get a Game Over (though this does happen a lot in the main plot for somewhat obvious reasons), but the game just carries on with the villain escaping and you still have to catch him and maybe the next attempt to catch him is more difficult

and the game autosaves as soon as you fail the mission so you can't go back and retry

in some ways this is annoying because if you're not too up to snuff on the mechanics it can feel like you were cheated out of a win just because you were forced to get it right the first time without any practice

but in some ways it's also a very effective gut punch in that having to live with your failure is more resonant than getting to try again, or having death be the end state

I guess this might not be a particularly new insight but it's been stuck in my head for a while and I wanted to share

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Steamforged Games just put up a blog post discussing the new mechanics they've added to 5e for the official Dark Souls RPG. Let's take a look, shall we?

SFG posted:

Over many months and conversations that went well into the night, we cut 5e to ribbons before reanimating it by the bonfire.

DARK SOULS™ has always been close to our hearts. Our aim was to keep what felt most familiar and intuitive about the 5e system, but give it a new life altogether with signature DARK SOULS™ mechanics that would capture the authentic spirit of the video game.
The first addition: Position. As they note, 5e has no concept of stamina (which is mechanically a big deal in Dark Souls combat), and indeed they claim that adding it would require "an awful lot of bookkeeping." Instead, they've developed a mechanic that combines both health and stamina - "position." It represents both your health and is a resource you can spend to change dice rolls or use special abilities.

SFG posted:

Position goes up gradually, as you increase in level, but it’s always finite, and generated randomly at the start of a battle.
So rather than try to emulate the rhythm of Dark Souls combat, they've just taken HP and added the ability to spend it to trigger abilities. And also it fluctuates randomly at the start of combat, just like how in Dark Souls your stamina doesn't refill the same amount every time...?

Addition 2: Bloodied. It's just the concept of triggering changes in enemies when they're at half health. This already exists. Next.

Addition 3: Magic. They're replacing the 5e Vancian system, where you have limited number of spell slots filled with spells that can only be cast a certain number of times. The new system gives you a certain number of "slots" to fill with the spells you know, each of which can only be cast a certain number of times. As you can see, it's not Vancian at all!

Addition 4: Death. As you'd expect, if you hit 0 HP (sorry, Position) you die and respawn at a bonfire. You lose souls, and there's talk of a mechanic where you lose parts of your character's identity and become hollow - which could be cool, but there's no details given on how it works.

SFG posted:

And a quick note: if, during a combat, half of your party dies, then the whole party fails. And wakes up, at a bonfire, soulless and needing to start all over again…
Can't wait to play this with a 2-person party!

SFG posted:

Good luck out there. You’re going to need it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ah, the 13th amendment

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BinaryDoubts posted:

Steamforged Games just put up a blog post discussing the new mechanics they've added to 5e for the official Dark Souls RPG. Let's take a look, shall we?

Addition 2: Bloodied. It's just the concept of triggering changes in enemies when they're at half health. This already exists. Next.
lol they literally just imported this from 4e and claimed it as an innovation. Even used the same name. It's also not really a DS mechanic unless you wanna claim boss phases count, but the bosses with phases weren't all 2 phase starting at 50% health.

quote:

Addition 4: Death. As you'd expect, if you hit 0 HP (sorry, Position) you die and respawn at a bonfire. You lose souls, and there's talk of a mechanic where you lose parts of your character's identity and become hollow - which could be cool, but there's no details given on how it works.

Can't wait to play this with a 2-person party!
Ah yes the infamous "Sorry both of your phantoms died. The fight is over and all players take a death penalty" moment. Classic Dark Souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Don’t forget that “you’re not the only ones with Position..” and that the bloodied bonus for enemies is described as being greater than that for PCs. Definitely fully aware of the massively different significance of enemies spending HP as opposed to PCs, and of the dissonance involved in it being beneficial for bosses to bloody themselves.

Yet more evidence that the RPG industry and market no longer give a poo poo about design.