Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think an even better point is that a PbtA failure doesn’t mean “and now the kid has to be spider lunch”, it just means the GM is gonna do a hard move and it’s not gonna be “good”. Even granting for the sake of the conversation that someone for some reason must die because [reasons], which is already shutting down a lot of salient choices, another NPC, part of the fiction or PC could get wrecked instead.

I think some kind of rule or advice telling people it’s okay to rewind or rewrite things cause whoops we write ourselves into a bad corner, that’s fine. But it shouldn’t necessarily be the first option all the time.

To echo prior points it sounds like a decent bandaid for niche scenarios and thus should be kept in mind, but as a general rule something like the X Card is a better over all mechanic.

This brings to mind the question of how we could improve the X Card and related (e.g. lines and veils). For example I’d love a better way to get maximal relevant, safe information about what was wrong with a scene while also respecting boundaries of players and not making them discuss things they’re uncomfortable with. To keep with the child and the hungry spider thing, there’s not really a great way to tell if the problem was the spider, the kid, the eating, all of it together or something else which is good to know, but the whole point is to NOT go over it that granularly. Which can be annoying in like horror games where part of the appeal is a safe amount of scary that makes gives you ooky spooky fun times but never crosses anyone’s actual lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I never played The Secret World, but it seemed interesting. A magic bee flies into your mouth, then you join a cult and shoot Cthulhu with a magic shotgun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone remember this occult modern day MMO from 2012?

Funcom has granted a player group the rights to build a tabletop roleplaying game based on the Secret World IP and the kickstarter is slated for next year. Might be good. If its handled by a passionate group of people who know what they are doing.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/09/21/funcom-gave-a-player-group-its-blessing-to-build-a-secret-world-ttrpg/

I've always thought TSW would make for a fantastic urban fantasy RPG. In my perfect world it has playbooks based on some of the more interesting Decks and an attempt to make a game about freeform magic users that doesn't require a PhD like WoD's Mage.

EDIT: I googled and the one product these people seem to have released before is a small Savage Worlds supplement.

I suppose SWADE would be alright for this.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

in my eye here a hard move if a superhero was trying to save a kid(are we playing masks..?) is to have the hero take a powerful blow, shielding the kid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

I never played The Secret World, but it seemed interesting. A magic bee flies into your mouth, then you join a cult and shoot Cthulhu with a magic shotgun.

on the one hand yeah, that's rad

on the other hand as a video game it might have stood out in a good way, but as a TTRPG it kind of seems like it's competing with Unknown Armies

it could still be good but they have their work cut out for them

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Has anybody seen a premium hardcover book from DriveThru that was printed since the time when they switched over to using the very-expensive ultra-premium press at LightningSource (because the regular one got cancelled)? I feel like the quality of the premium stuff went down over the past few years, and I'm curious to know if the ultra-premium makes a difference.

(Particularly I feel like body text in thin fonts like the Goudy that White Wolf books use suffered and got a little blurrier than it used to be.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on the one hand yeah, that's rad

on the other hand as a video game it might have stood out in a good way, but as a TTRPG it kind of seems like it's competing with Unknown Armies

it could still be good but they have their work cut out for them

There are urban fantasy RPG products I can think of that are closer to TSW than UA (off the top of my head, City of Mist maybe?) but I don't think it matters that much. If it's pretty enough and has some modules to run, I think it'll sell. Not to mention the fact that, while TSW's player base didn't stay big enough to support continuing development on an MMO, the number of players who played and liked that game should be more than enough to overfund a tabletop RPG.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
TSW certainly had... an aesthetic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY9LfAO1J0

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Toshimo posted:

TSW certainly had... an aesthetic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY9LfAO1J0

can i still play this game, it seems epic...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Snooze Cruise posted:

can i still play this game, it seems epic...

The MMO closed down. There's a single player something called The Secret World Legends, but idk what the content is like.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Toshimo posted:

The MMO closed down. There's a single player something called The Secret World Legends, but idk what the content is like.

I actually played through a bunch of this recently (played the original game briefly a long time ago). It's still a f2p MMO but clearly on life support and hardly anyone's around. The initial zone (lovecraftian new england pastiche) was worth a playthrough for the cost of $0.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It was a dope urban fantasy single player RPG trapped in an MMO body. The content is still worth playing through once, if you haven't before. The first zone is, indeed, the best but Egypt and Transylvania were pretty fun as well.

Speaking of aesthetic, you might enjoy the cinematic trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrInUczleW8

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah it extremely did not need to be a MMO, if it was a third-person action RPG like Deus Ex Human Revolution it would've been amazingly good. There's so many small things added to the weird world that don't really get explored much (the cosmetics alteration dude is a descendant of the actual historical man who inspired Frankenstein and is voiced by Peter Stormare) or relegated to dungeon content (the secret Soviet dimensionaut training facility in Rumania that is being run by a crazed AI trying to help the last surviving dimensionaut candidate achieve her dream no matter the cost) that could just be a great jumping off point for tabletop, period.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 22, 2021

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

theironjef posted:

Sorta reminds of these pissant bullshit I saw on Reddit a while ago:

Obviously it's intended to be the opposite of said pissant bullshit, but it's definitely sharing a root issue, which is that the X-Card is and should be 100% separate from the rules. There shouldn't be negative or positive rule aspects associated with it, it shouldn't be connected to the rules in any way, the last loving thing it needs is game theory.

This isn't good but it's kind of just the extremely dumb version of something that's been a consistent problem with being able to say 'Stop!' to end a scene in Nordic LARP: people don't want to and will harm themselves instead of stopping. Which comes down to a lesser version of this, which is that "stopping play" and "breaking immersion" are already negative rule aspects: it's not normally supposed to happen, so it's a failure to have to call it. It's a personal failure to have succumbed to your fears or traumas, and it's it ruins everyone else's fun by ending play and breaking their immersion. This discourages using the safety tool, which is a major problem.

(Doubly so in Nordic LARP, which has a serious problem with people exulting deeply immersive play on the edges, so people are encouraged to go right up against their limits. Calling 'stop' is also considered an individual right and responsibility, which implicitly blames the victim for their own failure to take care of themselves and makes everyone else "blameless". It's a highly individualistic solution to something that's an inherently collective activity, and the fact it absolves everyone else involved of a blame instead of trying to encourage people to consider other people and come together to make everyone feel comfortable is a serious problem. There was even a huge panel debate about this at a Nordic LARP conference in 2021, the Great Player Safety Debate.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've wanted a Secret World tabletop since the drat thing released. Hell yes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I read the "everyone can fudge results'" as also experimenting with giving everyone more active narrative control. Sort of shattering the last GM exclusive power. That reads like a pretty bad attempt at it -for the reasons others have stated.
I can also see the goal of "hey I want the ability to trigger the X card without drawing attention to the fact I've been the one who triggered it" as noble, but I think there are better ways of handling that. Like at least in roll20 macros that just announce it without saying "Player 3 is using the X card."
I'm also gonna second the comment that a pbta game where you can soak/reduce consequences being the sort of ruleset that needs that kind of rule the least.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LatwPIAT posted:

This isn't good but it's kind of just the extremely dumb version of something that's been a consistent problem with being able to say 'Stop!' to end a scene in Nordic LARP: people don't want to and will harm themselves instead of stopping. Which comes down to a lesser version of this, which is that "stopping play" and "breaking immersion" are already negative rule aspects: it's not normally supposed to happen, so it's a failure to have to call it. It's a personal failure to have succumbed to your fears or traumas, and it's it ruins everyone else's fun by ending play and breaking their immersion. This discourages using the safety tool, which is a major problem.

(Doubly so in Nordic LARP, which has a serious problem with people exulting deeply immersive play on the edges, so people are encouraged to go right up against their limits. Calling 'stop' is also considered an individual right and responsibility, which implicitly blames the victim for their own failure to take care of themselves and makes everyone else "blameless". It's a highly individualistic solution to something that's an inherently collective activity, and the fact it absolves everyone else involved of a blame instead of trying to encourage people to consider other people and come together to make everyone feel comfortable is a serious problem. There was even a huge panel debate about this at a Nordic LARP conference in 2021, the Great Player Safety Debate.)

This poo poo is why I don't play anything more emotionally or thematically complicated than D&D (and other action or investigation tradgames) with randos.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CitizenKeen posted:

I share the befuddlement of the lack of resistance hacks. My suspicion is that the domains and so forth make it this weird hardest combination of PbtA and Blades. It's just as much work to make a Resistance hack as a Blades hack, but you can't phone it in - a good Resistance hack requires an understanding of genre like a good PbtA hack.

Make the internet its own domain, so the question isn't the domain, but what you're trying to do - hackers become good by focusing on the verb. And, like all true cyberpunk, everybody can hack in one or two ways, by being good at the verb instead of the domain. Here's the domains I came up with for my Resistance cyberpunk hack, Emerald City Blues.

This is a great set. Do you have any intent to release your hack?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm still surprised at the near-complete absence of Resistance hacks. There's Facade & Facade Transfusion, and... that's about it. "Spire does Shadowrun" would do fantastic in the current market where none of the Shadowrun knockoffs really scratch the itch, and the system fits well for keeping Shadowrun's character archetypes relatively balanced. After all, it manages with the wide spread the system already has.

Quoting this to gush about Our Stormy Present, a Resistance hack that aims to simulate the feeling of old-school JRPGs and does a drat good job of it. Since it's entirely setting agnostic (the worldbuilding precepts boil down to "there's an evil empire" and "the party has access to an airship") it doesn't use domains, instead replacing them with Moods, which represent the characters' emotional drives and general approach to life. It's a game with a lot of heart and I can't recommend it enough.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I would love to see more iterations of Resistance and stuff that uses the SRD as a springboard, but don't think I could really get into "Well, it's basically just spire's rules, but we're reskinning it for X setting, and here's the classes and advances we made up"
Like I kinda want more stuff that improves the rules or fills in gaps and applies it to an actual different genre, the way Heart did for Resistance, or say comparing Scum and Villainy or Band of Blades does for Forged in the Dark.

Edit: Like that JRPG one strikes me as doing it right.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LupusAter posted:

Quoting this to gush about Our Stormy Present, a Resistance hack that aims to simulate the feeling of old-school JRPGs and does a drat good job of it. Since it's entirely setting agnostic (the worldbuilding precepts boil down to "there's an evil empire" and "the party has access to an airship") it doesn't use domains, instead replacing them with Moods, which represent the characters' emotional drives and general approach to life. It's a game with a lot of heart and I can't recommend it enough.

I loved the F&F, and it looked super cute, but in my mind Domains are one of the key things that makes the Resistance special, and replacing them leaves a game a lot closer to a watered down Blades in the Dark.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megazver posted:

I've always thought TSW would make for a fantastic urban fantasy RPG. In my perfect world it has playbooks based on some of the more interesting Decks and an attempt to make a game about freeform magic users that doesn't require a PhD like WoD's Mage.

EDIT: I googled and the one product these people seem to have released before is a small Savage Worlds supplement.

At least one of the writers has done a bunch of stuff on Vampire (Requiem 2E, Beckett's Jyhad Diary, Secrets of the Covenants) and even worked on The Secret World itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hype for The Secret World rpg. I never finished the main campaign, only got to Transylvania, but I liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXCzghbDH4

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
A lot of the NPCs in The Secret World were interesting and well written.

Good fodder to steal for WoD games at least!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Helical Nightmares posted:

A lot of the NPCs in The Secret World were interesting and well written.

Good fodder to steal for WoD games at least!

I was briefly in a Werewolf game where the ST stole Säid to use as a contact.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I played the first zone or so (Innsmouth-type place) of the Secret World and the MMO-ness of it was really anathema to any kind of mystery or horror feel they were trying to evoke.

Showing up in Innsmouth and there are just randos running all over trailing packs of Deep Ones, bunny-hopping and firing shotguns at random. "Deserted" houses with queues of investigators thronging the streets around them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

I played the first zone or so (Innsmouth-type place) of the Secret World and the MMO-ness of it was really anathema to any kind of mystery or horror feel they were trying to evoke.

Showing up in Innsmouth and there are just randos running all over trailing packs of Deep Ones, bunny-hopping and firing shotguns at random. "Deserted" houses with queues of investigators thronging the streets around them.
Not even instanced?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree that every single MMO is a single player game that somebody paid a lot of money to ruin. "It's empty now" is making me want to play The Secret World.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

Not even instanced?

There were multiple instances of zones back when I played, I think.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hello im here cuz this

Splicer posted:

If you're just getting into RPGs but are low on cash swing by the chat thread for some cheap or free suggestions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953789

is true

what are some good easy to get into pen and paper games?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

verbal enema posted:

hello im here cuz this

is true

what kind of game are you trying to play?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pog boyfriend posted:

what kind of game are you trying to play?

i mean i'd love to do some planescape cuz Planescape : Torment loving owns but that seems a lil complicated with all the planes and wild rear end alignments

i mean anything that is pretty chill and not to "mathy"? i guess? its just me and a couple of buddies who have never done this but have always wanted to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

verbal enema posted:

hello im here cuz this

is true

So there's a bunch of kinds of RPGs. There's the generic tolkeinesque fantasy category which from your post in the 5e thread sounds like what you're familiar with, but there's also space, horror, urban fantasy, investigative, heists, investigative heists where you get eaten by cthulhu etc. Like I'm running a star trek game in an official star trek licensed system. Do you have any idea what you're looking to play? There's also different kinds of rule systems, like D&D's "You see a locked door." "I kick it open!" "OK roll strength + kicking to see of you succeed" to more narrative stuff like "I spend stress to narrate a flashback explaining how I had a copy of the keys made earlier"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

verbal enema posted:

i mean i'd love to do some planescape cuz Planescape : Torment loving owns but that seems a lil complicated with all the planes and wild rear end alignments

i mean anything that is pretty chill and not to "mathy"? i guess? its just me and a couple of buddies who have never done this but have always wanted to.

in that case absolutely look into the game dungeon world as i mentioned before, it is a pbta(powered by the apocalypse) system which tries to keep the rules out of the way of the narrative and has comparatively rules lite stuff. dungeon world is sort of a bastardized hybrid of dnd and pbta that makes a great introduction to role playing games as it lets you make a dnd style campaign without being dragged down by rules.

here is a website with free dungeon world info available: https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yeah im into the rolling a dice

like in our game we came across a fairy stripclub and my buddy got critical drunk and wanted to pull his dick out. so we rolled for dick size and it came up a nat 1 which was the funniest poo poo ever.

i mean we were hammered irl at the time so it was just a kinda test out for if we could actually pay attention which we did surprisingly.

and as for setting oh man anything is fine its just a group of dopes having fun we dont care where we are we just wanna play and not get too confused over esoteric mechanics i guess?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pog boyfriend posted:

in that case absolutely look into the game dungeon world as i mentioned before, it is a pbta(powered by the apocalypse) system which tries to keep the rules out of the way of the narrative and has comparatively rules lite stuff. dungeon world is sort of a bastardized hybrid of dnd and pbta that makes a great introduction to role playing games as it lets you make a dnd style campaign without being dragged down by rules.

here is a website with free dungeon world info available: https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/
The SRD doesn't really have much of a how to play on it for new GMs, it's more of a reference.

Do we have a thread of games with free quickstarts? We should have a thread of games with free quickstarts.

https://www.chaosium.com/cthulhu-quickstart/
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

verbal enema posted:

The original Planescape box set was released for Dungeons and Dragons 2e, which I don't think anyone would recommend as a good on-ramp to RPGs. Sigil and the rest of the cosmology did appear in later 3.5 and 4th edition books, which are mechanically more coherent games, but definitely still greater than the level of complexity you're looking for.

I could have sworn there was someone working on a Blades or PBTA hack set in a Not!Sigil fantasy city. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Planarch Codex was a Sigil-type thing that launched off the Dungeon World kickstarter.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think you're thinking of Sig: City of Blades, which is due for general release soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Dungeon World also quietly assumes you know Apocalypse World even in the full text, there's points where it references concepts from that but doesn't ever explain them.