Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was asking about wfrp 3e and 4e lol.

I’ve heard about Zeitgeist and it looks like my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been thinking about what pre-made campaigns I've ran and want to run eventually.

What are everyone's favourite pre-made adventures/campaigns and why?

Echoing Eyes of the Stone Thief.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Chained Coffin is another good campaign

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was asking about wfrp 3e and 4e lol.

I’ve heard about Zeitgeist and it looks like my jam.
Zeitgeist is quite phenomenal and fantastic in 4e.

It's got a fantastic premise, and intriguing antagonists (mostly).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Parkreiner posted:

I have sat in on two different attempts by geopolitics wonks to run Dracula Dossier and seen them both admit defeat. Perhaps one day there will be a third.

Conversely, I have tried and failed to run Chuubo’s and admitted defeat, let alone Glass-Maker’s Dragon (and I’ve run Nobilis and WTF). I’ll likely try again someday.

I made the decision that Chuubo's was an art piece rather than an actual game. Beautiful, fantastically well-made, and should be viewed and studied rather than played with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think actually knowing anything about geopolitics would be a detriment to trying to run Dracula Dossier

Much easier if you just double-down on Russiagate and the KGB FSB being behind everything, except also vampires

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I made the decision that Chuubo's was an art piece rather than an actual game. Beautiful, fantastically well-made, and should be viewed and studied rather than played with.

Chuubo's is the unified field theory of other Jenna Moran games. It's a set of instructions for how to make something like Nobilis or Glitch, which is tremendously powerful, but requires each player to be immersed in the system to the extent that the GM has to be immersed to run either of the latter, which is already a big ask.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
now if you REALLY want an incomprehensible art object disguised as a TTRPG, there's always Wisher, Theurge, Fatalist :v:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

My dumbass preordered this when it was first announced and it finally showed up yesterday. Gonna flip through it after work today.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

now if you REALLY want an incomprehensible art object disguised as a TTRPG, there's always Wisher, Theurge, Fatalist :v:

WTF is harder to read than Chuubo’s, but my group found it easier to actually play. Maybe we just weren’t ready for such a rules-heavy version of textual analysis.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Bumper Stickup posted:

My dumbass preordered this when it was first announced and it finally showed up yesterday. Gonna flip through it after work today.
I'm genuinely curious to see how it is.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Parkreiner posted:

WTF is harder to read than Chuubo’s, but my group found it easier to actually play. Maybe we just weren’t ready for such a rules-heavy version of textual analysis.

I thought WTF was just a disproof of role-playing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

The best big campaign for 4e is Zeitgeist by ENWorld. For 3e the really notable campaigns are by Paizo and were basically ancestors of Pathfinder: Shackled City, Age of Worms, and Savage Tide. Shackled City has a hardcover compilation, but the other two are only available in issues of Dungeon. I can’t think of any great 3e third party campaigns that haven’t been updated to Pathfinder 1e or 5e.

3.0 had a 1 to I think 16? line of adventures produced by WotC, most of which are forgettable - the two good ones, Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury, are updated for 5e in Tales from the Yawning Portal. I think Forge of Fury would lose something in the transition but it’s still probably really fun.

The most memorable 1st party D&D 3.5e adventure I can think of is The Red Hand of Doom. There were a few charming free ones they had up on their website back then, too. I remember one that ended in a fight with a calzone golem being a fun 1-shot one for 1st level adventurers. I did also really like Voyage of the Golden Dragon, an Eberron-specific adventure about intrigue and dangers aboard a massive luxury airship. I've heard good things about the other Eberron adventures, but some of that could also just be that Ebrreron had a distinct enough setting to make the adventures stand out more.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Red Hand of Doom gets a lot of good press as an adventure due to nostalgia, but I looked it up on a friend’s recommendation and wasn’t impressed.

The good parts felt like “what if the Battle of Helm’s Deep but with hobgoblins?” (not surprising since it appeared around the time of the Jackson LotR movies) and the bad parts felt like some WWI-propaganda “protect the fatherland and its womenfolk from the foreign horde!” kind of poo poo.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

As for my favorite pre-made campaign I’ll chip in a vote for Deep Carbon Observatory.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

..ended in a fight with a calzone golem being a fun 1-shot...

I need more details. Did you go after it with forks? Was a pizza oven it's crucible of creation?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The calzone golem was created by the wizard Ben “Ice Clown” Wyatt to defend the Cones of Dunshire.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Gatto Grigio posted:

As for my favorite pre-made campaign I’ll chip in a vote for Deep Carbon Observatory.

I just finished running this earlier this year and can say my players loved it. Highly recommended, though I would advise keeping the original non-remastered version at hand because the remaster makes a few things more confusing than before.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Gatto Grigio posted:

The calzone golem was created by the wizard Ben “Ice Clown” Wyatt to defend the Cones of Dunshire.

of course

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Helical Nightmares posted:

I need more details. Did you go after it with forks? Was a pizza oven it's crucible of creation?

Something's Cooking was a free adventure featuring the calzone golem (complete with spurting boiling sauce when you attached it with a piercing or slashing weapon). DTRPG sells it for a dollar but since it was free in the past you can just google it and get the adventure just as it was.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Red Hand of Doom gets a lot of good press as an adventure due to nostalgia, but I looked it up on a friend’s recommendation and wasn’t impressed.

The good parts felt like “what if the Battle of Helm’s Deep but with hobgoblins?” (not surprising since it appeared around the time of the Jackson LotR movies) and the bad parts felt like some WWI-propaganda “protect the fatherland and its womenfolk from the foreign horde!” kind of poo poo.

It was designed, I assume, with some drive to integrate and cross-promote the Heroes of Battle rules, since it uses the victory point system out of that as a centerpiece to the campaign. I do appreciate how that lends to some variability in the ending, even if ultimately most parties will probably have the sense to try and do almost everything for the best outcome. Some of the notable Pathfinder/Paizo 3.5e D&D modules use similar win condition counters to help the DM see different ways a campaign could shake out.

The big deal centerpiece fight is very Helm's Deep-y, but it's also fun that it gives the PCs chances to fight a few different kinds of dragons, too. I don't know what you mean about WWI propaganda beyond the general problematic nature of "this outside threat is going to destroy us!" that's inherent to D&D and the setup of a large portion of D&D campaigns.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I couldn't remember the name but bewilderment is right, it's "Something's Cooking". It's a very basic setup of "something's gone weird in this wizard tower! You adventurers should go see what's up!" But with a memorable little end fight that fits a one-shot well.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 5, 2021

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Does anybody remember where to find that fan kiddy version of 4e d&d that somebody made for his daughter?

Been found, http://jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-2-girls-part-1.html

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 5, 2021

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm genuinely curious to see how it is.

Quick impressions after flipping through it today.

It seems neat? I like the idea of optional actions at the cost of enemies getting to do meaner things in response.

The action economy, by the way, is set up so players can do all of these actions on their turn: move up to three spaces plus your movent modifier, make a melee or ranged attack or use your action skill, thrown a grenade/item, and drink a potion. You can take extra actions if you wish but that creates mayhem tokes which let's enemies do meaner things on their turns.

There isn't a down system like in the games so once you hit 0 hit points you get sent straight to a new-u station.

All the classes from the first two games have been translated to tabletop format so there's not really much customization to be had. There are archetypes to bolt onto the classes to give them some spice but it's very obvious that the archetypes are meant to go with specific classes. Like there's a punch focuses archetype and two (three if you count the assassin) classes who specialize in punches.

Elemental damage works like it does in game as well except for cryo. If something is frozen it can still move one square or do one melee attack per turn. However it doesn't say how long frozen works. The blurb for frozen reads: "Targets hit by cryo damage at slowed, which means they can only move one square for one turn after being hit and get -2 to traverse checks. If a target is hit again with cryo, they become frozen. A frozen target can either move one square on their turn or make a melee attack." Seems busted.

There's only about 100 pages of rules so I'll actually read through it in the coming week and post more about it. I just have a hard time focusing on reading rules in RPGs. I will answer any questions in the mean time though.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

NinjaDebugger posted:

Does anybody remember where to find that fan kiddy version of 4e d&d that somebody made for his daughter?

Been found, http://jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-2-girls-part-1.html

This is extremely cool. Looks like he spun it off into its own game, but the site is now down. Sidekickquests.com.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My favorite pre-made campaign is the 2E classic The Night Below, just a grand underdark adventure that gets cooler and cooler the deeper you go.

My second favorite requires some work to actually run because it's more an outline and setting book than a published series of adventures, but it's maybe the best book released during 4E: Neverwinter.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
It's been a busy weekend but:

hyphz posted:

One of those looks like it says "amante de amore" which is a song title and probably wouldn't be a person's name.

I have no idea how people read that kind of writing and I can't make heads or tails of it even in person. Having a song title in there makes a lot of sense with the whole "high school binder art" thing going on.

That's a whole lot more response than I was expecting, so thank you! I sent the whole thing to my buddy and he's decided to use the picture on the front of his DnD2e binder.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's been a busy weekend but:

I have no idea how people read that kind of writing and I can't make heads or tails of it even in person.

You mean... cursive?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
How are the non-Blades games in this FitD bundle? I've heard of exactly zero of them. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Forged

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

grassy gnoll posted:

How are the non-Blades games in this FitD bundle? I've heard of exactly zero of them. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Forged

Wicked Ones has been well received, and does more than just reskin blades. It was discussed here and in the blades thread. Copperhead county I've heard mixed stuff about, and the others I've heard nothing about either. The SCP knock off game is at least new enough it might just be there's been no word of mouth, but I'd assume the cyberpunk one is another "so we just reskinned Blades" like the other half dozen mediocre FitD cyberpunk hacks I've seen so far.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Xiahou Dun posted:

You mean... cursive?

I don't know what I did to deserve being called out like this :v:

I can read cursive but I have real problems reading signatures.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wait

Signatures are meant to be legible??

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I don't know what I did to deserve being called out like this :v:

I can read cursive but I have real problems reading signatures.

I ain’t mean to put you on blast, hoss. I just… That’s some pretty bog-standard I-learned-this-in-3rd-grade cursive.

Can’t even imagine what you’d think of my gross scrawl.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

grassy gnoll posted:

Copperhead County is pretty good, I was in a campaign of it. It's still under development so it might change but it's pretty close to the final version.

edit: Oh looks like the standalone version is out and part of the package, that's good

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Siivola posted:

Wait

Signatures are meant to be legible??

If your signature is legible you are writing it enough.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I ain’t mean to put you on blast, hoss. I just… That’s some pretty bog-standard I-learned-this-in-3rd-grade cursive.

It clearly says amante da anime :colbert:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Way back when, me and some friends who were all unemployed did some daytime gaming where we would take it in turns to pick & run a prewritten adventure to try out. At the end of somethings cooking we decided that any wizard who makes a calzone golem is obviously a danger to others and murked him.

We still bring it up sometimes as a joke for an obviously dumb thing to do/make

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.facebook.com/secretworldlgds/videos/1376699796170928/

Secret World ttrpg for 2022. So I guess we are getting a third world of darkness after all.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.facebook.com/secretworldlgds/videos/1376699796170928/

Secret World ttrpg for 2022. So I guess we are getting a third world of darkness after all.
Given that The Secret World probably played some small role in the WoD MMO's failure (we've all seen the article about the internal mismanagement of the project but I am 99% sure that the fact that Secret World had stolen first mover advantage in the MMO space was a contributing factor), it'll be very wild if the Secret World tabletop hastens the day Paradox decides that buying White Wolf was fun but they can't be assed with the work required to manage the licence any more.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're fine, don't worry about it. I really should have been able to read at least the "amante de amore" bit but I've never heard of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/championsteven_/status/1468302325198430209

Hell yeah.