Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sort by release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The (YA?) novel sequel is also very good. Catfishing on CatNet.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

that's probably why I've never gotten on board the harry potter train, from day one I'm like "why aren't all these adults in jail by now"
they teach lockpicking in first year and the justice system is run for and by useless wizard nazis

you only go to prison if you say trans people have rights or something

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Do they have junk food? Of course they do, everyone does. But I defy you to point to a better tasting junk food than a piping hot battered fried fish sided with fat fluffy crispy chips, drizzled with malt vinegar and lightly dusted with salt, served in a wad of (uninked, please) newspaper and wolfed down steaming in the cool night air along with your fifth pint of beer.
piping hot battered fried halloumi sided with fat fluffy crispy chips, drizzled with gravy and cheese and lightly dusted with salt, served in a wad of (uninked, please) newspaper and wolfed down steaming in the cool night air along with your fifth pint of cider.

also some of the chips go in a chip butty

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Platonic solids marked with a unique integer in a range from 1 to the number of sides on each face are dice. The ""d10"" is an abomination.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can't stop you.
So now between sessions my washed up war reporter Media is interviewing it to figure out what the hell it's been doing the last 20 years, and whether letting a shipboard AI that led a worker's revolution and executed the officers on board get transferred on land to take over a factory or something is wise.

What could possibly go wrong?
More workers revolutions equipped by a cool factory.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

One of my favorite extremely rpg.net moments was some guy thinking about using DitV for running a game where everyone is a Gestapo officer.
Sometimes when I read a "no, you can't play fascists, and if you're a fascist you can gently caress off" section in a new RPG I think - for the briefest of moments - that it's perhaps a little unnecessary.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Albedo's RPG is entirely about each player playing a squad leader, the entire combat system revolves around it.
I ran across the free generic version a while back. Each player gets a main character and four simplified supporting characters.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/128371/Magenta

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

for what it's worth what I'd be looking for here is "superpowers" worth a drat

like, if it's Superheroes By Way of D&D Fifth Edition I would expect that you're not making an attack roll for d8+4 damage against a single target anymore. Wow me with something!
Captain DOAM

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

LCGs are, in theory, less of a consistent money sink than traditional TCGs, although I've found that once they go on for a bit they have higher buy-in costs. I don't know too many board games, tbh, but there's a lot of deckbuilders out there. Does she consider those too simple?
Arkham's good, but you'll be spending like £80 for a full campaign (campaign box and six scenario packs, optionally a hard/alt mode expansion after that) in addition to the core box.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Of course Beastmen was the last DLC I bought, to complete the set.

Unrelatedly, I've barely started reading Wanderhome and I am already deeply in love with this game that doesn't even have a megadungeon in it. If there's a secret one hidden later in the book my heart may explode, but I doubt it.

Edit: "You are fully empowered to pick up your playbook and bring them to any other journey of Wanderhome you find yourself in, fitting them right in." This is literally the old-school D&D thing of taking your character to another game and I love it.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 11, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
You can finally get answers to all those questions you had about D&D 3e, Numenera, and Invisible Sun!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
D&D campaign concept: survivors of the gender reveal locate city

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Blue and Pink Markets

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Kavak posted:

Was this the May Your Womb Be Barren poster or was that someone else?
Watch it or you'll be cursed with anxiety and premature balding.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm still unreasonably mad at god for giving us hands that encourage base 10 in a universe without a platonic decahedron.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

Count like a Babylonian and embrace the beautiful dodecahedron.
A youtuber convinced me that base 6 is better, but the world is a gently caress.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That's my secret. I'm always a goblin.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, we talked about that in the AP thread. Turns out Dark Dice is run by Travis Vengroff who, quoting Wikipedia, manages low-income housing and sits on the board of one of the world's largest debt collection agencies. So.
That's quoting Wikipedia now. It said a little bit more before he edited it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Was it just the word 'slumlord?'
He was definitely not the manager of the building that sent round letters reminding people that if they lost their job because of covid they could still be evicted as the eviction moratorium didn't apply, and if they were receiving any benefits they had no excuse for being late on rent.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That reminds me - what's a good iPhone dice rolling app? I used to use a now-discontinued one that had an little old-style widget you could just tap various buttons on to roll a d6 or a d20 or whatever without fully going into the app. Anything like that out there now?

A plain interface without physics engines and fantasy art would be nice. Just something I can instantly roll a couple of dice with and dismiss.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Honestly Google's dice roller in the browser search does just fine for simple rolling if you only need it locally. Though that's not a widget, it may be a solution that happens to take no local storage or anything else.
Ugh. Yeah, but it means switching to the browser and switching to a new tab and typing in roll 2d6 or whatever. It's not much hassle, but there has to be a better way than this extremely minor inconvenience.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Libertad! posted:

Does anyone have any experience with these "solo RPG" supplements? This one company made a bunch of "Solo but for X" PDFs for all manner of RPGs. I haven't bought any b/c I'm not sure how many of them are truly good adaptions to their specific systems beyond just reprinting the same general advice and Oracle sub-system.
I'm told some of the earlier were a bit generic, but he improved quite a bit in his endless quest to do a customised solo supplement for every RPG.

If there's a specific one you're interested in, I think most of them have the full content in the "full preview" file, just with an annoying watermark.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think the most important thing is the pizza cutter

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Angrymog posted:

I honestly think that the Basic D&D modules are a much better source of old school adventures than the famous AD&D modules.
:hai:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I bet those house rules are terrible.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

thefakenews posted:

I haven't checked out the latest 5E supplments, but I assume the specifically mentioned rule is a house rule. So the one house rule we have evidence for seems to support your conclusion.
I guarantee there are critical misses.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Find The Naughtiest-Looking Turnip.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
my massive pro-painted forge world chaos dwarf army 🔥 :cry: :argh:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Weren't there a lot of AoS rules at first that were really silly and unworkable? I faintly recall hearing something about that.
They did a set of army lists for old armies with a bunch of bad jokes in them. "Settra does not kneel!" so you'd better hope you're standing the whole time or you instantly lose the game. Don't drop your dice. This was for the old setting's factions, not the new ones, which didn't help the reception.

The original core rules were hosed up enough that some models were unable to attack other models, as they were big on "base them however you like! all measuring is from the model itself!" If certain models were based on their official GW-supplied bases they couldn't get within melee range of enemies.

They did a lot of work to unfuck their poo poo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm convinced that mörk borg content creators don't get the tone of the game at all.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Had that thought while reading the Locked Tomb books, actually - it's impressive how you could go in blind and date them down to the year just off of the internet references in them. Especially the second book (I honestly never expected a "none pizza, left beef" reference to not only make it into a published book but actually flow in dialogue but here we are). Doing it with RPGs sounds fun too.
Jail for Tamsyn, for her many referential sins, but she does manage to make it work and I need Alecto.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

"A lot of prep work" being "surround him with summoned creatures, attack him from range, spam cancel action on the summoned creatures so they stay neutral to him and he can't get to melee range." :v:
You just get close enough to trigger the hobgoblins he's fighting without activating him, and then wait for them to roll enough 20s.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Take this post from the Historical Facts thread about Early 20th Century Manchuria, which can be summed up as "The Wild West, only the bandits have full-on armies with real rear end guns"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=70#post466085395
The Good, The Bad, The Weird is an excellent documentary on the period.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What is the cop-hatingest RPG
Esoteric Enterprises will let you come to arrangements with vampires, cthulhus, all manner of horrible monsters dwelling in the deeps beneath the city, except the police, who will only escalate their efforts to gently caress you up if they catch wind of your gang of occult weirdos.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The Thousand Year Old Vampire Companion Volume has started arriving.

Please read the description before this spoiler, which explains why some people are not happy: it's the (very pretty) game book but all the content is blanked out. Some photos here.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 10, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Arivia posted:

your link is slightly broken (by literally two characters), i've fixed it
Thank you for fixing my terrible phone copying and pasting so that people can experience the subject properly.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's art, but I'm pretty sure it would have been better to hype it up, release a full description as the punchline, and then open up orders, rather than putting it up for preorder with a "don't buy this" description that would just convince gamers there was actually content.

Less impactful, sure, but also less likely to trick the gamer brain.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

It's exactly what you ordered, right down to the fact he said you're not going to like it and that it's utterly useless to you.

If anything, this just reinforces that I will absolutely trust his word. If he says "this is the next big game, get hype", I'll be fuckin there, cash in hand, ready to roll. He was painfully honest, and after that it's on the proud owners of T҉h҉o҉u҉s҉a҉n҉d҉ Y҉e҉a҉r҉ O҉l҉d҉ V҉a҉m҉p҉i҉r҉e҉ to come to terms with the fact they didn't listen to him.

quote:

he also claimed it was not a journal etc

quote:

It's not a writing journal, character sheet packet, or adjunct for TYOV play.
which is semantic at best

quote:

the pictures I've seen make it utterly loving useless as a journal or character sheet as well.
reddit :allears:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Thousand Year OId Vampire.pdf, so it sits next to the original and you open it by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That tells you what it isn't, while the Cards Against Humanity people told you what their literal box of bullshit was. The gamer mind, confronted with a product to purchase, has almost infinite capacity for invention.

Of course some people tore apart their boxes of bullshit looking for a hidden card.