Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone run/played Lancer? I picked up the core book in last year’s itch.io bundle and only got around to actually reading it this week since my weekend 5e group was curious. It seems super cool but there are no active roll20 games so I’m not sure if anyone is actually playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Toshimo posted:

You could try asking in the active Lancer thread on the first page of this vey forum.

Oops, it fell off to the second page and I missed it, will check it out

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leraika posted:

I'm playing it (and my group's thrown out the setting fluff and turned it into a fantasy game)!

I like the setting a lot but this is a cool option too. Is it basically Escaflowne where everyone has big gently caress off mechs even though it's the medieval times for no reason?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hostile V posted:

Yeah, sort of, but the short non-spoiler answer is your GM should not have been rude about it and hit you that hard and that fast with that.

The point of The Circle is that one of the previous drug testers died while on the drug and due to Outer Dark influence from his lovely abusive dad became a psychic ghost bound to the drug and bound to the people taking it. He wants to pick off the people who are doing the current trial because he wants to get a body back, but he's too spread out across multiple people. He can possess people for a bit, as can other users but because they're not hopped up on eldritch mojo their ghosts fade and they pass away, but the less people are alive the longer he can possess folks and the more control he has. The PCs are supposed to delve into the previous test's data where the guy died and figure out what's killing the previous and current testers and have a show-down where he keeps hopping from person to person, and the cure to the problem is for everyone to stop taking the experimental anti-depressant/try and banish him/trap him in a viable body and off him. One of the big ways to tip off people of what's going on is for the players to just loving lose time somehow or find themselves in weird and precarious situations at first and give them the Stability hit, and he's really only supposed to push for the suicides later in the game or put people in situations where they could die but could also escape. One of the examples is "you have blacked out for god knows how long and woke up hand-cuffed to a bed in a lovely motel, there's an empty gas can and you smell smoke" for something you can escape with expenditure of resources. Because it's Fear Itself the point is that you really didn't do anything wrong or take any questionable actions to invite the doom, you've just been unfortunately t-boned by a truck full of doom while minding your own business. That said while it is a tool in the horror game hardware store, your GM should've use a lighter touch that early in the scenario.

This sounds weirdly similar to the modern-day horror intermission game I ran for my 5e group. The first arc had them trying to solve a murder mystery in the Hamptons where it turned out the hot new drug going around was actually dried and ground oblex slime that was slowly driving the users mad and encouraging them to "join the mass."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Warthur posted:

Idea roll description

I'm going to steal this for D&D as an alternative usage for inspiration points.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It would be a great alternate usage for hero points too; characters would get a limited resource per level that could either be used to swing the tide of combat or reveal plot information and would have to decide how to best spend them. Too bad I've only played one D&D game with them and don't use them in my own campaign

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

Failing to get plot info -> you'll get the plot info at some point unless your GM really wants to watch you kill rats for dozens of sessions
Failing to succeed at combat -> you're dead lol

I mean I know which I'd save them for

Hero points are an optional inclusion and can already be used to bolster ability checks outside of comabt; the whole point is that your character is superhuman and can pull off rule-of-cool-style moves at critical moments and surpass even other "normal" adventurers/heroes. If a character's been rolling well and has a bunch left over, why not provide them with another way to spend them? I don't think anyone would choose to hold back and fail a critical saving throw because they're conserving points to move the plot along anyways.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

drat, the Blackbirds Kickstarter blew past its goal in an hour and hit double the ask in 4: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewsmcmeel/blackbirds-rpg

I like the setting a lot, but has anyone played Zweihander? (they're using the same system) My only experience with it is RPGhorrorstory posts about plot-critical NPCs dying by accident

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mon Quixote

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Thirding the "sounds like a bad idea" thing, it's an attempt to solve out-of-game issues that you should be talking about with in-game mechanics, something that just never works. Make everyone fill out a checklist before the game of stuff they're not okay with and steer clear of it altogether, or talk to your players.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hyphz posted:

It can be a shot in the gut when a system fails. Like, I thought PF2e was going to be our go-to, but it turns out to have big table time problems.

Like what? Someone in one of my D&D Discords bought a big Pathfinder bundle and was excited to play it.

(He also got Starfinder, which seems interesting since I'm kind of burned out on fantasy stuff atm)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tulip posted:

Out of curiosity, what ones do you really like? The ones I've any familiarity with are all pretty much hacks of non space games and to my mind kind of lack an independent identity (e.g. Transit is very AW derived, Scum & Villiany is very BITD, and LANCER has its relationship with DND).

I'm fine with Lancer being close to D&D. After this long campaign wraps up, I think I want to run a Jupiter Ascending-inspired Lancer campaign and getting my group to buy into a new system won't be as hard if it's already similar to what we've been using for the last 4 years

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone else played Die? It launched as a tie-in with the Kieron Gillen comic about people getting Jumanji'ed into their D&D game and now they're officially launching a Kickstarter to realize the full game:
https://rowanrookanddecard.com/die-rpg-launches-in-november-and-were-making-it/

One of my 5e campaign players is really into it, he's DMed like 2 one-shots for us that were fun.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BigRed0427 posted:

I found my old copy of betrayal legacy again that I only played one game of and really wanna play again.

Problem is my roommate HATES the idea of legacy games. I found out from my GF that they went on a massive rant about how I can waste money on something that we can only play once when I got JOTL Gloomhaven.

Now I'm afraid to touch My copy of gloomhaven again along with Betrayal for the same reason. Its gonna start a fight.

I just wanted to play a legacy game. The idea sounds so cool :smith:

I had no clue Betrayal Legacy was a thing, this looks sick. We used to play Betrayal and later with the expansion all the time when in-person game nights were a thing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Brass posted:

fwiw the animation looks great, but what's up with the sound?? The fact that there is no dialogue in it makes me somehow think they are going to use the podcast audio in the animation?

It's just the intro. I hope Mercer voices every single non player

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Both my IRL group (friends) and the one I found on Roll20 (strangers) only flake occasionally, usually because of depression or natural disasters. It's totally not normal for your group to cancel regularly, and if it is, drop them imo

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Both my IRL group (friends) and the one I found on Roll20 (strangers) only flake occasionally, usually because of depression or natural disasters. It's totally not normal for your group to cancel regularly, and if it is, drop them imo

Lol I wrote this and then tonight our DM for the weekly 5e Frostmaiden campaign put the game on "permanent hiatus" because of work stuff. We're in the last chapter and probably only a few weeks from finishing...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like what I mean by spiraling into chaos is not what you folks mean by it.

I'm talking about like how literally every plan breaks and chaos ensues because the flow of everything is determined by your least careful, most aggressive, worst memoried player.

This hasn't happened in any of my D&D games and I'm coming up on year 4 of the one I DM. Maybe talk to the person about it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/cowboy-bebop-the-roleplaying-game/news/cowboy-bebop-rpg-announcement

Finally, my chance to play as either a Cowboy or a Bebop

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

I need to run a spooky one shot over voice chat with 19 hours to prep. Please point me at something that's cheap, quick to learn, and comes with modules or sample adventures. Ideally not Lovecraft related, zombies a plus.

10 Candles with uhhhh virtual tealights. I guess this would only work if you do a vidcall

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is exactly the kind of management crunch my 5e campaign's wizard is always asking for but would be super pissed off to actually have to deal with

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Die Kickstarter is delayed because of paper shortages and supply chain stuff:
https://rowanrookanddecard.com/were-delaying-the-die-rpg-kickstarter/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I usually take the opposite approach, my favorite character to play so far has been the teen witch TikTok star (divination wizard) in our modern D&D game who's secretly being tutored by her future self in her dreams and is plotting world domination. Sometimes if you lock in the character's tone at the start and everything flows naturally from there, you can really explore a lot of different angles. I've definitely been in games before where I tried to wing my character's motivations/let them grow organically and I felt like I was floundering when it came time for RP.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MOMMY

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Between ten and twentyish depending on how you count them. Though most of those changes were the result of foreign invasion or the monarchy being restored and then a revolution against the new monarch. Galt has been stuck in Committee of Public Safety mode for 50 years somehow. With the somehow evidently being magic evil worm.

eugenics dragon- It took the devs a really long time to just use him as an actual bad guy rather than a weird unexamined setting element.
The child molestor mechanics are the daemon Folca who gives powers that require child abuse to activate
The last one is that Phrenology is a psychic skill in Pathfinder 1st ed.

Wow, you just reminded me of Eberron's House Vadalis, who are basically running a eugenics program for breeding the best magical mounts/monstrosities... which includes wildshaping into the animals to gently caress them for added intelligence

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Asterite34 posted:

:catstare: I wasn't aware of that particular bit of lore

I learned this after rolling up a Mark of Handling Ranger for an Eberron game and had to read the wiki, thanks guys

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Captain Walker posted:

Quick, you have ten minutes to make a character concept for a fantasy RPG. Where do you go to find a portrait? Is there a repository people around here use?

I open my overflowing "D&D" folder in dropbox and just crop something cool

Real answer is Pinterest

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If you have Baldur's Gate 3, just messing with the character creator and taking a screenshot + cropping it works super well too

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've only run D&D 5e this year and even my plans for Honey Heist have fallen apart

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Night10194 posted:

A game where 'blood mage' means 'your appendix has mystically begun to do what it was meant to do: filter out magic from the bloodstream, making you a powerful sorcerer'.

I'm running a modern-day D&D campaign sporadically for my main group and oh man they'd be so mad at me if I pulled out a midichlorian reveal like that

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Antivehicular posted:

So, uh... is the entire Spellpunk Cyberfight book written like the DTRPG description of the core? Because that is quite a choice.

Chuck Tingle presents 5e

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kestral posted:

It's the opposite: the person with the augments gets mowed down by gunfire because his movement is divided among all his actions, while his slower opponents take their full movement all at once on their single turn, reach cover, and use the rest of their single turn to shoot up Cyber-Bob.

This is why rogues in 5e feel so fun to play IMO, getting a free dash or disengage as a bonus action and zipping around the battlefield as needed is great

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hyphz posted:

But that's where things are strange. Why aren't players as excited as the GM is?

It creates this weird kind of reverse facilitator role, where the GM is supposed to be facilitating the players' enjoyment, but in fact the players are facilitating the GM because the GM wanted it more.

It's as if the wedding planner wanted the wedding more than the bride, or the soccer referee wanted to be a referee more than the players wanted to play. It's just strange.

That's why I always meet my players in the middle and why if I run Lancer for them next, the campaign will be based on Jupiter Ascending

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe its actually that people who are super excited about rpgs wind up wanting to gm, and people who are less excited but still interested, don't eagerly dive into that deep end as often.

This, but I will say that all of the players in my ongoing 5e campaign have expressed interest in DMing at some point and half of them have. I think they just need a launching point to learn the system and from there they want to branch off and explain their own stories.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leraika posted:

What's a good way to get over this sort of thing short of bothering all the other players and going 'you don't actually hate my character, do you'

What's wrong with just asking? I'm playing a shithead teen witch prodigy (divination wizard) in my friend's modern-day D&D 5e campaign and I asked everyone straight up one night if it was too much. They told me their characters didn't like her, but the players themselves did.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Calico Heart posted:

In this example, the player character was a very ornery, anti-social snake-breeder who didn't actually know very much about snakes. An Ability she got was "Serpentine Surprise", which let her surprise enemies with snakes in combat. The Ability was more about creating chaos than causing damage, and I let her know that the snakes will try to escape whenever she used it.

I just started an Out of the Abyss game in 5e and the random item my character rolled to start with was a friendly tarantula, so I might try this

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

House elves love being slaves! It's fine! they don't know any other life

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BrainParasite posted:

But it's fine when an elf gets involved with a guy 1/100 her age?

How Glindabell got her groove back

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

dwarf74 posted:

"My mom was a huge bitch... And dad... what a dog-fucker"

Like... I think it's okay to be squicked out by a background that involves overt tones of bestiality. That bestiality being consensual doesn't make it less weird. Like, fundamentally, you're still getting turned on by a dog, right?

I just started a 5e Out of the Abyss campaign and realistically my character’s only romance option is the minotaur barbarian (but even that’s kind of a step too far IMO so she will not be dating anyone)

Imagine trying to roll up to any table with a “well, my conception involved dog sex” and not getting shamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Toshimo posted:

Honestly, PC XP is almost completely vestigial in D&D at this point. Their Organized Play doesn't use it. Their recent 1st-party adventure books don't really use it. I can't remember the last game I've seen in the wild that used it. It's just milestones now, in other words, "You level up when the DM says you do".

We're doing XP leveling as a change of pace for Out of the Abyss and... yeah not sure how this is going to end up, I assume we'll switch back to milestone eventually