Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I remember doing something similar in a two-player game where my friend was playing a strategic super-genius and I was playing the densest man on earth. We'd work out the plan between us OOC, with the IC assumption that his character came up with the whole thing and mine just sort of went along with it and hit things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Godsend (one of the Legacy supplements) is amazing, but you need the right group to really make it sing.

Free From The Yoke is standalone (but heavily based on Legacy) and introduces a whole bunch of really neat developments on the basic system. It's not quite my cup of tea because I like my games more fantastical but I'd still recommend it unreservedly.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I used to salvage character names from spam emails. My favourite was Cornbinks Corona, a private investigator In Space for a short-lived Traveller game.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tulip posted:

The One is quite cool but I haven't actually sat down to play it (might do that today).

That's my one -- please let me know what you think!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I quite liked Cryptomancer, although it was just as bleak as Reclaimer seems to be in its long-term 'you will fail and everything you love will be destroyed' tone. The setting felt pretty imaginative.

I think quite a lot of that has to do with Walker's day job in infosec -- so when he writes a game about infosec his expertise really comes through. But when he writes a game about politics (i.e. Sigmata) it becomes painfully obvious that he knows a lot less about that. He apparently consulted with ecologists on Reclaimer, but I have no idea in what capacity.

Oh, and if you want to check out the original KS page it's here. I had to get at it via a sideways route because it seems to have been delisted from Google.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

CaptainRat posted:

One of these posters always lies, one of these posters always tells the truth.

Alas, the only question anyone ever asks them is 'are there stairs in your house?'

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you're interested in what's going on with SEA RPGs, Session Zero Online is currently running and free to attend. You have to register first, but I'm pretty certain you can register today.

http://sessionzerocon.com/

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

aldantefax posted:

Anybody playing any games recently? Just wrapped up another GURPS session and gonna run D&D tomorrow, then more GURPS on Friday. Hooray!

Gearing up to run Fellowship in real-time for the first time on Monday, for a group who know D&D and almost nothing else. It's exciting, and also a little bit nerve-wracking -- I feel like I have to get this absolutely perfect or risk tainting them on non-D&D games forever.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DalaranJ posted:

What new piece of game design tech are you most interested in right now? By ‘game design tech’, I mean widgets like ’threats’, clocks’ or ‘advantage/disadvantage’.

I just read Belonging outside Belonging, so right now I’m thinking about ‘setting elements’ and how GMing work can be distributed through a play group.

I really like diceless token economy stuff at the moment, and 'any players not in the scene can take on the role of external forces' which I didn't pinch from Belonging Outside Belonging because I've never read Dream Apart/Dream Askew, but rather from other games which have built on the BOB framework.

For more tactical games I'm also liking 'all attacks auto-hit, but if you make the attack roll you get a bonus' which I don't think I've seen any game do yet but is sort of floating around in game design circles. I especially like the idea that your auto-hit conveys some sort of status effect (poison buildup, push, mark, etc.) but to do actual damage you have to make the attack roll. That feels like it would avoid 'death is the ultimate control' by basically forcing players to make use of their status applying/exploiting abilities.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Jimbozig posted:

Sorry, I should have said that SOME of the posts were wrong. Your posts were not wrong, just a little incomplete so some other posters were speculating inaccurately.

I mean, I think that's at least part of what makes it a great mechanic -- there are loads of possible ways you could take 'monster actions determined by moving around on a hex grid'.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's also the extent to which card-based design in TTRPGs revolves around keeping the number of cards you're going to use nice and low. I originally planned for Unnamed Farming Game to be card-based but when I did some ballpark cost estimates for it I realised that nobody would pay the sort of money necessary to illustrate and print that many cards.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DocBubonic posted:

I recently went in on some game kickstarters. Among them some Zine ones. There was one that I wanted to get, but the kick starter was over. The name of the game is Mother loving Dungeon Punks. Does anyone in here know anything about it and if there's some place to purchase it? I've looked at Drivethru and Itch.io, but I can't find it in either place.

Are you sure that was the name of the game? I had a google for it and didn't find it.

I can offer you Monsterpunk Unleashed or Extreme Meatpunks Forever as potential options?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've been out of trad games for 10 years, I pop back in and it's nice to see you guys and gals haven't changed.

Question, I've got kids now, they found my copy of spacehulk, loved losing horrifically at it and want to play more boards games like that without as much being eaten in round 1. I also like making and painting terrain and tiles etc so any recommendations on board games or game systems friendly to 10+ yr old kids? Robots and aliens preferred.

I don't play enough board games to have a solid answer for you, unless Nemesis is somehow kid-friendly, but the board game thread will almost certainly be able to set you straight.

Or maybe Pandemic Legacy: Season 1? If they like losing horribly and the whole 'deadly disease' thing doesn't hit too close to home at the moment.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kestral posted:

The optimal scenario would be meeting in person with some kind of large (that is, substantially bigger than tablet-sized) display surface that I can put Roll20 on, but I don't see how that would be possible without throwing thousands of dollars at it.

Could you get a cheap Chromecast and cast the tablet screen to a big TV or something?

E: Having experimented with my own tablet I can say the answer is 'no' if it's an iPad because you can't cast from Chrome on iOS, and 'yes but it's janky as hell' on an Android tablet.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 19, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Champion Soap Eater, checking in.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I was sort of thinking along "well, some games only really sing when you've got players who don't mind seeing their characters suffer" and then I read the rest of it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

CitizenKeen posted:

My four year old kid loves my 5th Edition Monster Manual. He's memorized it.

I'd like other good monster manuals, because I'd like him to not grow too fond of D&D.

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions. Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence and spookiness (as appropriate as the 5th Edition Monster Manual is, because that ship sailed). Needs beautiful color pictures, obviously. Should be in print.

Any genre. Get at me.

I have a copy of Dungeons and Drawings, which my six-year-old loves to read through. It's not as D&D-focused as you'd think, and the illustrations are gorgeous. I think it might be a bit grown-up or gruesome in places, but I haven't read the 5e MM so I don't know.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Is there a Sentinel Comics RPG thread anywhere?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The longest PbP I ever managed to run was Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, which worked pretty well because it's got a solid structure that doesn't need much back-and-forth between players and, as the previous poster mentioned, there's no character generation setup -- you just pick a datafile and go. The GM has to be on the ball to do opposed rolls, but so long as you can manage that you're good. I think the Sentinel Comics RPG would work well for most of the same reasons.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

KingKalamari posted:

Basically I want to mix my sci-fi and fantasy together and there aren't a lot of games that do so out-of-the-box in a way that works for me.

I mean the traditional solution here is to design your own game that does that.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I mean, I am neither an alien nor a superhero and I also love Oreos.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sophie's Dice is my favourite dice roller for basically any purpose. I have it on Android (and PC desktop) but I'm 99% sure you can get it on the app store as well.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hey folks, if you were looking to spend some money on RPGs over the next few days maybe hold off until tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1392563376513945601

I mean, the standard payout on itch is 90% anyway so I don't think it's a big deal if you buy at other times, but you know -- if you want to support indie creators that tiny bit more tomorrow's a good day to purchase.

(Specifically it's a good day to purchase my games in particular, self-promo, self-promo, etc.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

bbcisdabomb posted:

How could you post the link to the announcement and not post a link to your itch.io page? Shameful.

Well, things weren't underway at the time...

(Also I am bad at self-promotion.)

Here, come buy my stuff! I get a slightly higher revenue share and also my big games are all 20% off for the day.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

SkyeAuroline posted:

My "barely able to rewrite solo game oracles, let alone do game design" self is attacked. :v:

Creative writing prompts are game design. They're just design for games that TC there doesn't like.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Even skipping over the edginess of BNW, the mechanics were dogshit as well. It's the worst superhero game I've ever encountered and I've played Champions and Heroes Unlimited.

I mean, Forbeck might still pull something good out of his back pocket but the stat line spelling out 'marvel' and the d616 thing suggest that gameplay was not top of the priority list.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think from Forbeck's point of view this is his chance to get a writing gig on a Marvel title.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Jimbozig posted:

Unless my budget ends up being way higher than it is now, this is not really possible. But yeah, absolutely this would be ideal.

I mean, you don't have to come out of the gate with Comp/Con -- you can just bang together an Excel sheet or Google sheet that does the calculations for you and pretty it up as best you can.

(If you want to see a really nice example, grab a copy of Cage of Sand by Luciella Scarlet.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

FirstAidKite posted:

Anyone read any interesting new rpg books lately

Currently reading Gubat Banwa and it looks pretty cool if in need of an editing pass. Other recent favourites of mine (although not new games) would be Band of Blades and the Sentinel Comics RPG.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Be careful, I've got my eyes on you now.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Last I heard, archiving the forum on inklesspen's website is still a heavily manual process -- maybe there's some sort of formatting we could enforce going forward which would make it easier to automate.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nuns with Guns posted:

Inklesspen uses some code to scrape the thread and repost it, but I think part of the challenge is that you have to manually filter out the discussion posts from the write ups. It's part of why Inklesspen has asked in the past for there to be some clear headers and ideally some images to make the write-ups stand out.

Yeah, I was thinking something as simple as 'every writeup post starts with GOONREVIEWS on a line on its own' (or something) so the scraper can automatically recognise them. It's not a perfect system since it a) relies on people remembering to put that in place and b) has exactly zero protections from hijack or abuse, but something along those lines?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Megazver posted:

It should work fine with two players for the most part, but CoC benefits from having more bodies to throw at a threat, so I'd suggest either making the PCs stronger as per Pulp Cthulhu guidelines or simply giving each player two PCs.

As a side note, giving each player two PCs is a pretty good way of handling almost any trad game with two players and a GM. It ups bookkeeping a bit, so it might be tricky if you're playing something crunchy, but it's worth a thought.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you want something that's more like a home game, there are plenty of AP podcasts which are just home games recorded and lightly edited. Apparently a lot of people don't like the ones with table talk and rules confusion but they're my favourite.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In the interest of me not having to deal with a stack of reports tomorrow morning, can we put a lid on Critical Role chat in the chat thread for the next 12 hours or so please? Everyone who is going to say something has said something and now it's just starting to fester.

While I concede that the chat thread is a good place to casually chat about streams and/or podcasts, I would contend that a) it's not a good place to try and litigate exactly how awful the Critical Role cast are*, b) if you want to talk about podcasts and streams more generally we have a thread for that, and c) if you really have to argue about this I'd much rather you took it to an all-new Critical Role Deathmatch thread which I can delete without reading at some later date.

On the other hand, please continue talking about how good Fellowship is. It's one of my favourites.

*That's what the industry thread is for!
(Do not actually take this to the industry thread.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leperflesh posted:

The TG as an Industry thread isn't supposed to be a "slapfight containment zone" but lengthy discussion of how and why Actual Plays and etc. contribute to the sales of trad games products surely belongs there, if you guys can discuss it civilly. If you just want to score points on your posting enemies for liking/not liking CR, let's just go ahead and call a truce on that line of attack please. Like, permanently.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Splicer posted:

I think Pathfinder 2E does stuff with nat 1s/20s though

It does: they bump your grade of success up or down one, and sometimes have other effects.

Also I'm sure D&D 3.0 did something with nat 1/20 because there was an official alternate rule where you treated a nat 1 as a roll of -10 and a nat 20 as a roll of 30. Can't remember what it was an alternate to mind you, but I'm sure it wasn't 'nothing'.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

CitizenKeen posted:

It does supers combat amazingly well, for a specific definition of superhero, with zero guidance to the GM on making fun and balanced encounters. Outside combat, the game completely falls apart because supers never do anything but fight.

I felt the book had detailed and good advice on how to make balanced encounters? Like, it says 'use this many things of this level, this is the sort of thing a threat of this level should do, swap them around like this'.

You're spot on about the outside combat thing though. There's even less there than Lancer.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's called Fight Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Flashpoint was pretty fun the one time I played it.

The digital version was also in the itch bundle for racial equality, if you got that.