Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question: I'm not entirely sure if this is the best space for it, but I am looking for playtesters for a solitaire board game I've written up.
I've got the entire thing ready to Print'n'play or playtest via Vassal but I basically need someone who's not me to take a look at what I've created before I go 100% ham with it.

Now I know that there are more dedicated spaces like on Boardgamegeek or the TradGameDesigners forum, but I've gotten precariously little feedback on those over a timeslot
of several years and I'd rather ask here for help than anywhere else.

The game in question is a solitaire strategy game called "Rise and Decline of a Galactic Imperium", inspired by GMTs "The Hunters" solitaire wargaming series, but other than the
most basic strokes, there's little similarity. Think of it as a 70s style SSI boardgame. Tha explains alot of the small interlocking bits.

The game can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oOP8ZA8mPa7BcuavmO-xPegLLCWvMosG?usp=sharing.

Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Panzeh posted:

I do like the latest edition of Travller for sci-fi stuff if you're okay with a character that might not be exactly what you want(and will be at least middle-aged).

Ay. Recently ran a game of it for a group and I have to say: Clunky, yes, but for what it does, it's perfectly serviceable. And I've seen much worse scifi games (looking at you, Starfinder).

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Star Wars game from West End did pretty much that, and it worked decently well with handfuls of d6s. So much so, that they pivoted to basing most of their licensing deals to use that same system.

Isn't that just something, that PDQ does?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

bewilderment posted:

[...] if you like bad games and nostalgia, I suppose.

I mean, why else be on Something Awful, really?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Just....why?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Quick question to the chat: I recently gm'ed the second long-form session (basically the 2nd weekend me and my friends meet where we play from friday to sunday) and my group basically came down hard on my "the world moves on" -style of GMing, where I offer them side commissions if they take missions on a planet, which fall down by the wayside sometimes because they feel like another hook I'm presenting them with seems "more important" or "main-plotty" and they feel bad for not being able to take the opportunity.

Any tips for how to react or work with this? We're playing Mongoose Traveller in the Pirates of Drinax Campaign and at first the players seemed really into the general style of exploring options and space out there and creating allies & enemies.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

hyphz posted:

[...]
Where did the negative/cringey jester/storyteller stereotype (Tingle, Ray McCooney, etc) originate?

I think it's sort of cultural symbiosis. The stereotype of cringey or sexualized/negative cringelord isn't really new but it seems like a few things perceived through a number of lenses came together to form this entire construct. Also Japan, because they somehow are always involved in something like this O_o

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've been comparing Worlds Without Number and Stars Without Number, because I had both and thought what the hell, and I'm kind of surprised how small the scope of WWN is compared to SWN. SWN can do so much stuff, but WWN seems very limited in comparison, at least in terms of what settings you can actually create/adapt.

I think that's because of how WWN sets out to do a very specific kind of fantasy, while SWN revised one the other hand does basically all sorts of post-disaster SciFi which is a much larger margin.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Don't ask me, I don't even understand what I was going for after rereading that O

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think this is true of most enduring bad systems, and is one of the biggest reasons they endure

I think the argument has been made several times over the previous years, both in the chat as well as the FATAL thread that mechanical or design quality was not and will never be a standard which leads to enduring gameplay. Which is very sad, but then again, people are biased to take that which they know over that which they have to learn and invest themselves in.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question for the thread: I dimly remember a rpg being announced about playing skeleton space explorers in a kind of melancholic story-game. Anyone know what that game is called or where I can find it?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

It's not Necronautilus, but thank you =/

potatocubed posted:

Weirdly, although 'melancholic story game about skeletons' and 'melancholic story game about space exploration' are both vast fields, I can't bring to mind the intersection you're asking after. Got any more details?

It was about a human future in which true deep-space exploration can only happen by skeletons which are basically electronically-assisted undead representing the dead elders venturing into space for the good of humanity...I think? I know that I saw it and/or its cover on SA but I can't for the life of me figure out the title or who would be writing it -_-

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is not the original soundtrack and editing of the scene in question, but maybe it should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44XvJ4q-eCw

This...this is Art. Now get me a full movie like this and we're in freaky french Art Cinema business!

Leraika posted:

make a disco elysium system, and then hack that system to play doctor who, imho

Coming soo, near you: Disco Elysium....made in 5E. (not really, but what a terrific horrible idea it would be)

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 21, 2022

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

PurpleXVI posted:

Does it or does it not consider Cataclysm to be canon and Homeworld 2 to be non-canon? Because those parts are very important for my interest in any piece of Homeworld media.

Why not have Homeworld 1, Cataclysm and 2 be canon? Does it somehow not interact?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Been playing Quest Calendar 2023 and just got out of the prologue, I rather like this, anyone else playing it?

Been playing their calendar games now in its third year. Had some criticisms with the structure during year 2 and about how the entire game is structured with its death-spiral in year 1. I really hope the new setting and spaceships mechanics won't eff everything up even more because its still basically a dnd-in-space-game.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question: I'm looking for playtesters for a fantasy 30-Years-War GMT-style Hex-CDG for 2 players. Where can I find these elusive and strange beings that would be willing to brave the rules as written or the VASSAL module attached to it? Or am I just perfect right here, right now?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Oh, that's a shame. Harlequins Back is one of those modules we always wanted to run back in the day but could never get it together.

Harlekin 2 was such a deeply weird mixture of modules even for Shadowrun. Really terrible when I think about it from a modern standpoint. Harlekin 1 however, still easily slotable into any general 'run-campaign, even just as flavors of the strange.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question for the hivemind: Anyone know of any rpgs playing in/around/during the Hundred-Year-War in France/Britani?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

goatface posted:

What are you thinking, realistic dirt farmers? Full verisimilitude, period-accurate-equipment fighting-mans? High drama knights and maidens? Details for the major historical characters and a rigorous system for courtly intrigue?

Jimbozig posted:

^^^^ yeah, this is the question. It depends on what sort of game you want.

Luke Crane's Miseries and Misfortunes is about 300 years later, but is about France and may or may not be closer to what you want than the other suggestions you've gotten so far.

I was thinking more more adventures and intrigue amidst people from the upper echelons of society mingling with misfits and mercenaries to make their wealth and faith to the backdrop of a world at war.

I'm a bit queasy about Crane-games since I don't really like his style but I'll guess I'll have a look.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm writing one right now!

But maybe that doesn't help you.

It doesn't but I'm sure to keep a look out :grin:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pendragon and Paladin are set ~600-800 years earlier, but they also fudge in the other direction to grab weapons, armor, and other tech that's more mid/late middle ages, so you could probably appropriate those rules to suit, too.

I'm currently using Pendragon but I think it might be a bit too arthurian or charlemagne historical for my taste. I was suprised how much of the books is actually historical info instead of rules etc.

FMguru posted:

Alephtar Games makes a couple of supplements for BRP (Chaosium's D100 core system) set in that era: Merrie England and Merrie England: Robyn Hode

Rolemaster and GURPS both had Robin Hood supplement books.

Ohhh, the BRP supplements are definitely somethin I'll look into, thanks for the hint ^^

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you could probably bump Ars Magica up a century without completely breaking everything

The ensemble play-logic would certainly fit having more than one perspective, but I'm unsure what the draw would be without the magic.

Edit: I did hear that apparently there was a Joan of Arc RPG in 2020 as companion to a miniature tabletop game but it seems to have disappeared from places I have access to on the internet.

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 31, 2023

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Countblanc posted:

Have you tried Dungeons and Dragons: 5th Edition, OP?

As a comedy option you mean? Yes, I have, and I do not like it xD
If possible I'd prefer something with open skills and abilities that allows customization of characters without using classes or unexamined dnd'isms.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

trapstar posted:

Is it ok if I share a TTRPG related story in this thread?

:justpost:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

AmiYumi posted:

[...]

The "all links are 404s" isn't hyperbole btw; every clickable link tries to redirect (thanks to the new layout) and dies instead. Real fuckin' professional operation.

Every time I see news like this I throw my hands up in confusion. What idiot got this through testing if it breaks the only loving thing an online shop is supposed to achieve??

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is very Unknown Armies.

To be fair, Disco Elysium is very much what an Unknown Armies -mancer would feel like after waking up without any charges.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Tosk posted:

What do people think of as "well-written" campaigns? Regardless of system. I think the two I hear most about are Masks of Nyarlathotep and Griffin Mountain, the latter I think for pioneering the idea of a sandbox setting splatbook (I could be wrong, I haven't run it). I haven't read Masks.
[...]

"Masks of Nyarlathothep" is a barely concealed cult-of-the-week adventure chain with very few connections and bad design which, just like "Horror on the Orient Express" or Beyond the Mountains of Madness" has a far better prestige than anyone who actually ran it would allow them to. I've run MoM, it's really loving bad, you have to cut out so much, the entire story is written without incorporating the player characters at all and the finale is a hodgepodge of bad design decisions during which a player character is basically taken out of the game just because. Orient Express isn't much better, the overarching plot is dumb, none of the problems the players encounter are actually ON the orient express and the titular train is only ever used as a transportation device except for one scenario that is so badly written that you won't even get to the finale if the players aren't totally dumb. Also it has a stupidly high death count because just about everything is lethal as gently caress, but that's actually a CoC-problem, something which doesn't really mesh well together.

"Way of the Wicked" is...well, at least in my opinion, not good either. It bends over backwards to not let the player characters be evil freely, and constantly uses devices like magical domination and demonic contracts instead of offering a free playing field. Also it runs in Pathfinder, which means "evil" and "wicked" are seen from an alignment standpoint, which is dumb already and just goes worse the further it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Kestral posted:

To bring EQchat back around to RPGs in a roundabout way, and explain what I meant by how it needs a decent adaptation, if you like generational stories or stories taking place over an immense span of time, you should check it out. There's not a lot of stories anywhere that have characters grow up, have children, grow old, and then we watch their kids do the same, and it's really compelling. There's a reason people love Downton Abbey, Centennial, and The Silmarillion.

In the RPG space, Pendragon does this, the generational play is core to the system, but it's so difficult to execute well that I struggle to think of another game that has tried to mechanize it. A good EQ RPG would embrace this, let you play out adventures or a whole campaign in one generation's heyday, then roll history forward and see in a mechanical way how your actions affected those who come after you - and then you pick up those characters whose lives have been shaped by your earlier characters' actions, and you play those people. Repeat as many times as you like.

IIRC Legacy and Legacy 2E are doing an okay-ish job at it.
I dimly remember that there was an OSR-inspired zine game that also did something generational with heroic death and descendants but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called...

Edit: A RASP OF SAND!

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 10, 2024