Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, “best before time’s up”. At least you got out of it :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea, “best before time’s up”. At least you got out of it :unsmith:

I at least had some sense of low risk/high reward going with it.

"Ranger? *sucks air through teeth* that's a no for me, dog. Can you send me on a deployment nobody has heard of that hands out service medals at little personal risk to myself?" :v:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m the type who doesn’t really give effort if I’m going to be treated like the lowest common denominator regardless. This doesn’t vibe with trying to advance or succeed in the military.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

I’m the type who doesn’t really give effort if I’m going to be treated like the lowest common denominator regardless. This doesn’t vibe with trying to advance or succeed in the military.

Sorry you're classified as *checks notes* human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dd_qiuWxPs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

sean10mm posted:

I at least had some sense of low risk/high reward going with it.

"Ranger? *sucks air through teeth* that's a no for me, dog. Can you send me on a deployment nobody has heard of that hands out service medals at little personal risk to myself?" :v:

My UN deployment was good for that. I got a blue medal, a blue hat, and a neat multicolored enameled challenge coin out of it. Best 6 months of my time in the Army.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
The Army operates on the Team Fortress 2 model. It's all about getting stupid new hats.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

iKon posted:

The Army operates on the Team Fortress 2 model. It's all about getting stupid new hats.

And then never allowing anyone to wear them :v:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

iKon posted:

I wore three hats this weekend and probably need to get two more.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Holy poo poo, my real problem was I fuckin hate wearing hats!

I actually have never worn one since leaving the Army lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There was no stupider time in my entire Army experience than standing around a trash can outside of a shower room with a pile of other guys all holding berets we had just wetted and shoved on our heads a few minutes ago and were now shaving the fuzz off of with disposable razors.

It was just. So. Stupid. I looked around and said, "This is so stupid. All of this. And I've got four more years."

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Picked up E5 on terminal leave, wooooo.

I guess I'll enjoy my ~1 month of extra pay until I ETS?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh, sorry, policy just changed. You’ve now incurred a *rolls die* 4 year service obligation.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Retrowave Joe posted:

Oh, sorry, policy just changed. You’ve now incurred a *rolls die* 4 year service obligation.

I have no idea how I got away with quitting the Army in 2001 without getting reactivated after 9/11. Maybe my last name was too late in the alphabet for the Pentagon's algorithm to get around to it? :haw:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Submitting an award that’s already been submitted and swapping in your name as the recommender, simply because you’re the section chief and “anyone can recommend someone for an award,” while technically true…is that a dick move?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Retrowave Joe posted:

Submitting an award that’s already been submitted and swapping in your name as the recommender, simply because you’re the section chief and “anyone can recommend someone for an award,” while technically true…is that a dick move?

OK this is just confusing me. Somebody duplicated an award submission and changed who is listed as the recommender... but not who is getting the award or what the award is?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How are you able to swap it out if it's already submitted? And why? Messing with paperwork that's already being processed will definitely annoy the clerks that have to deal with it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mustang posted:

How are you able to swap it out if it's already submitted? And why? Messing with paperwork that's already being processed will definitely annoy the clerks that have to deal with it.

Yeah I feel like I'm missing something because it just seems like doing more paperwork that benefits nobody?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Retrowave Joe posted:

So you recommended a soldier for an award and the chief removed your name and put his on there. Honestly, it's his section, he is the one who should be recommending people for awards. Be nice if he wrote the loving thing, but there is a million other things to get upset about.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Retrowave Joe posted:

I never cared who was listed as "submitted by".

Did my guys get their award? Yes? No issues. Why would this even matter (other than possibly delaying processing, resulting in missing points for promotion)?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

All of these responses are pretty accurate. Situation was, I supervised a guy for three years, he did a great job, I put him in for an MSM.

First time writing an MSM, so i sent it to my new section chief for feedback. He sat on it for three months.

I followed up a few times, and finally said screw it, reworked the verbiage a bit, then sent it for processing. The 1 shop sends it back because I forgot to sign the front, and they cced the chief.

No prob, I signed and sent it back. Literally two minutes later, he sends them the same recommendation with a few of his tweaks and with his name as the recommender.

Again, technically not against the regs, but I felt like it was a total dick move. And I suppose something that IPPS-A will prevent, once it ever comes online.

Edit: I guess it mattered to me because of the way it was handled. I’m glad it got approved and my joe is getting the award he deserved. I’m not happy with the chief sitting on it for months and then only stepping in after I’d already submitted it.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 21, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

All else being equal, the higher up the chain an award is initiated, the more likely it is to actually be approved.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sean10mm posted:

All else being equal, the higher up the chain an award is initiated, the more likely it is to actually be approved.

I was about to say this.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

sean10mm posted:

I was once in a small unit that fell directly under III Corps. We could get MSMs awarded for anything. Up to the DCG and back down signed. SSG staying on the same installation, but going to a new unit? MSM.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm strangely proud of doing 6 in 6 in the guard and having no awards aside from freebies and one NCOPD. Not a single AAM. The joke is forever on me though, because I enlisted.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nimmy posted:

I was once in a small unit that fell directly under III Corps. We could get MSMs awarded for anything. Up to the DCG and back down signed. SSG staying on the same installation, but going to a new unit? MSM.

That's wild, when I was in generally they were only handed out at the O-4/E-7 level IIRC.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

sean10mm posted:

That's wild, when I was in generally they were only handed out at the O-4/E-7 level IIRC.

Yeah, there's a reg that even says what it should be given for.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I’m going around in circles trying to find someone to tell me about the Army reserve current direct commissioning program and none of the recruiting people have a clue. And then I find out that one of the MOSes I need(38G) now commissioning directly but you need a masters degree. Oh boy.

Recuiting school! Teach your people! Or career counselors!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, General Odierno died.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/10/09/gen-ray-odierno-former-army-chief-and-iraq-commander-dies-67.html

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Mustang posted:

As an O3 in WA you're in the highest income category and get $790 a week, not factoring in an extra $300 going on for Covid19 right now. For WA it's doing 3 job search related activities a week.

And if you're doing school you apply for "training benefits" and you don't even have to do the job hunt!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

More senior leaders from the GWOT should follow his example

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Careful, you might cut yourself being this edgy.

:rolleyes:

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Sir did you kill Colon Towell

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Androies posted:

Sir did you kill Colon Towell

If I had that power Kissinger would've been long dead

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

If I had that power Kissinger would've been long dead

What is dead may never die

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Wait, he's still alive? What is he 100?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

Wait, he's still alive? What is he 100?

His current form is 98.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well, this it. Next week is my equipment turn in and I start leave in January.

Over two decades and I've got 4 dufflebags, 3 rucksacks, 2 waterproof bags, and 1 laundry bag (and then a ton of loose poo poo) full of army poo poo from vietnam up to today.

WTF would they even do if I didn't turn in an OD LBE H harness? The 22 year old supply sergeant will have never even seen poo poo like this.

Anyway, I graduate college this summer and will be teaching elementary school next year (probably a 2nd grade it looks like).

I did end up writing my own retirement award, lol.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Nice, man! Hope you enjoy your freedom.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

spacetoaster posted:

Well, this it. Next week is my equipment turn in and I start leave in January.

Over two decades and I've got 4 dufflebags, 3 rucksacks, 2 waterproof bags, and 1 laundry bag (and then a ton of loose poo poo) full of army poo poo from vietnam up to today.

WTF would they even do if I didn't turn in an OD LBE H harness? The 22 year old supply sergeant will have never even seen poo poo like this.

Anyway, I graduate college this summer and will be teaching elementary school next year (probably a 2nd grade it looks like).

I did end up writing my own retirement award, lol.

Congrats!

I swear the turn in process makes no sense. Hell, CIF even told me to just leave with some of the stuff. Apparently some of my old poo poo would have created extra paperwork for them somehow? I guess it depends on where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks!

Whatever I'm missing will just be a rubber stamped FLIPL anyway.