Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If he wants to go civilian flying encourage him to look USN or USAF. I know one helo guy who transitioned to fixed wings in the Army and that's a very small, niche thing from what he told me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm late 30s and dumb enough that I might go do that. The Navy didn't let me leave when SF green lit me for a service transfer and candidacy (thanks TRUMP and needing a BIGLY NAVY). I know guys that went SOF later and the key recurring themes are a high level of motivation and focus and also being too loving stupid for their own good. I was rolling along pretty well and out of that mode then I got to organic chemistry, at least.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Say you'll be right back and step out and never come back

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'd guess the biggest adjustment is going to be in the intelligence level you'll be engaged with day in and out. Second graders are a lot smarter, articulate and motivated than service members.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I never understood why this forum generally dogpiles on anyone who says they've got a service goal they're looking to get after. The machine isn't going away, if someone wants to go and accomplish something in it, cool. That's all them. What's the utility in calling them and idiot and saying they're going to fail, other than just kind of being a broke brained dickhead on the internet?

Should clarify I mean anyone who's in or been in. Anyone looking to join should be told 'don't do that' and if they can't be talked out of it harm reductioned in to that job handing out towels at the gym in the Air Force

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You're entitled to every dollar the fed will provide for having put up with their bullshit, it's for sure worth the minimum effort