Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Mustang posted:

I've been seeing JBLM people wearing patches like this

I think a lot of garrison commands are starting to do it locally. Big Red One has been doing it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Oh a female Fister. Haven't seen many of them, especially Airborne. That's a real shame.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
It really is amazing how efficient certain people can be about things like that. A lot of times you really just have to know who to call. And if you don't know who to call... you might have to redeploy to go get a day zero drop because everyone else is so stupid.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
I get the bar being E4 in some combat jobs. Infantry needs team leaders, tanks need tank commanders, and there's no real point in paying a rifleman an E7 salary when you have thousands of new recruits every year.

But there's no reason someone in the S1 or the Finance office needs to ever be a leader all the way up to E-9.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I disagree with combat arms exceptions. I knew plenty of dudes who were incredible troopers, but weren't cut out for leadership. Their institutional knowledge and experience can be utilized and is valuable.

I knew at least one trooper who was an incredible heavy weapons/anti-armor dude. Great trooper, but dumb as a box of rocks beyond his job. Could be trusted with a task, but would never take real initiative- a smarter version on Lenny from Of Mice and Men. He had no ability to lead, but was an incredible soldier to have- I don't think he should be stuck with becoming a lovely leader who will make everyone miserable, or get the gently caress out.

I guess I don't necessarily have a problem with a 16 year SPC rifleman, but it does seem weird.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

spacetoaster posted:

This would be hilarious.

So I've got to write myself a retirement award. AAM?

It's so loving weird. I've been in the Army for my entire adult life. Military school before that. I'm not entirely sure how it's going to feel.

Good news, I've gotten my master's in early childhood development and been hired by a school system. So right now it looks like I'll be teaching 2nd grade next year.

gently caress that, go huge. Legion of Merit.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Submitting an award that’s already been submitted and swapping in your name as the recommender, simply because you’re the section chief and “anyone can recommend someone for an award,” while technically true…is that a dick move?

So you recommended a soldier for an award and the chief removed your name and put his on there. Honestly, it's his section, he is the one who should be recommending people for awards. Be nice if he wrote the loving thing, but there is a million other things to get upset about.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

sean10mm posted:

All else being equal, the higher up the chain an award is initiated, the more likely it is to actually be approved.

I was once in a small unit that fell directly under III Corps. We could get MSMs awarded for anything. Up to the DCG and back down signed. SSG staying on the same installation, but going to a new unit? MSM.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

sean10mm posted:

That's wild, when I was in generally they were only handed out at the O-4/E-7 level IIRC.

Yeah, there's a reg that even says what it should be given for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Not sure anyone else is even in at this point, but I just find it funny that the Army is now making NCOs go indef at 10 years instead of 12 years, but they've slowed the hell down out of promotions with 4 years TIG required for all senior enlisted promotions. Also, no one can make E-9 before 16 years, but realistically it's going to be more like 18+ if you include waiting for your OML, not getting slotted immediately for NCOES, maybe not getting a super high OML every single time you're evaluated, etc. So if you want that E-9 high 3 retirement pay, you're staying in after your 20 years.