Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Exciting times in suicide prevention.

That's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Army correctly assumed that not enough people would want a leadership position if offered it and made it the only option for advancement past a certain level.

However, in typical Army fashion, they either failed to realize or didn't care that doing so would create two major problems:

1) Forcing people into leadership positions they don't want doesn't make good leaders and no amount of "training" can change that.
2) Setting the bar at E-loving-4 as the end of the road is insanely stupid

It also completely bypasses the problem of "being in leadership positions sucks an endless amount" and doesn't even begin to address the culture problems - if anything it reinforces it and makes it worse.

I've thought of a solution a few times and the best I can come up with is a quasi "spec 5 / spec 6" rank (spec 6 allowing you to serve until retirement) that requires testing into like the Navy does. But then I realized I've basically just created a dollar store version of WOs.