Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m Navy but once after leaving the hospital after a 24 hour shift during a hurricane I went home and collapsed only to be woken up by my then girlfriend who saw like 30 missed calls and messages to tell me that I needed to drive back to the hospital through the storm because everyone needed to stay at the hospital to make sure we weren’t driving back through the storm.

*hugs DD-214*

Secretly wonders if re-enlisting in the reserves is a good idea

to add context: I'm waiting to hear after my interview with nurse practitioner school. If accepted I will gather a large amount of debt. The options for student repayment are slim unless you want to work in a very, very rural area for 4 years anyways. Weighing my options, but I have never seen what the MEDCOM side of stuff looks like so I don't know if it's going to be typical army *as I would expect*

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

What's your MOS? If it's not a slacker MOS you could re-enlist with a new MOS school in the contract (and be a huge slacker).

The most recent deal I saw a guy get was 50,000 in loans paid off for a 6 year enlistment in the reserves. There's also bonuses.

There's also stuff in the reserves where they'll just flat out pay a lot of your school bills every semester as long as you aren't flagged.

50k for the reserves? and I think that a majority of those only cover undergraduate programs. Mine would be a doctoral program.

Also my MOS was 19D, the biggest thing around here oddly enough is either Motor T or PSYOPS.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

Medical MOS's in the reserves aren't too bad as everyone, everywhere, has a shortage. Which means you might be assigned to the unit near your home, but if you ever get bored you can take a job somewhere else for a few weeks/months.

Not reserves, but a buddy of mine (who is also about to retire) just took a 9 month stint in a very nice tropical country that the US wants to expand relations with. His job is to basically chill out and do whatever (He's a scuba dude) he wants with no supervision and to get random questions SOUTHCOM wants answered.

There's tons of little jobs all over the world from 3 weeks all the way up to a year and a half if you just want to go somewhere.

Cool. I'll definitely look into it a bit more and reach out to an AMEDD recruiter if I get selected. Should hear in the next month or so if I am lucky enough to shill out a bunch of cash for my third degree piece of paper.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm considering actually going through the Health service scholarship program for the U.S army. I would have to pick up 3 years of service active duty wise, but the rate of nurse prac's getting jobs right out of school is slim because of the glut of oncoming NP's from diploma mill universities. Having 3 years of practice would be pretty nice.

Anyone ever go through this? it looks like it was extended to family nurse pracs, but I don't see anything on the current website, just bits and pieces from other .mil sites so I can't tell if things changed for FY2021

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You know, I saw the reactionary posts of 4 people before I clicked on that link.

I still clicked on it. I deserved that :(

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Cool kids go civilian contracting and hang out at embassies making good money. If you're gonna get hosed you might as well be a civilian making some decent cash

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

just make sure whatever you say is short and sweet if there's a microphone.

If you're just out loud yelling to a crowd, oh man....

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

seconding, thirding or whatever for a Distinguished service medal

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

When i was up for re-up, they told me any duty station.

The CSM got irrationally angry when I asked for Antarctica.

I would assume the only people who get antarctica service ribbons are like, scientists in the military? Like they're not gonna send a company of the 10th mountain there. Oh and I guess the pilots flying in and out of Antarctica.

It would be pretty awesome/hilarious to see some dude PCS'ing into your unit as a 92G rocking that on his service uniform along with only an AAM and army service ribbon.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

Yes. There's oil, coal, and minerals. And several countries are arguing over claims.

Perhaps there'll be an arctic campaign medal at some point.

insert empire strikes back memes galore

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Having just done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for a whole year, I think I could do 6 months in Antarctica. At least I wouldn't be surrounded by people that believe that that pervasive danger isn't real.

Scene: Antarctica base camp dining hall.
obese individual, walks in and spots you wearing a heavy jacket.

Um excuse me but coats were invented by the government to weigh us down during the winter so we wouldn't overthrow them during bleak times.

How many people have actually died from "hypothermia?" Like a few each year out of millions, and they all probably had pre-existing conditions.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hey guys tell me if I'm an idiot because I may need to hear that from you all.

I'm moving to Colorado, the place where i'm working at gives a pension, and seems appropriate to work in that hospital for the next 20 years to grab a decent pension. On top of that, I'm considering *yet again* another comeback into the military, this time with the army reserves/guard.

I looked at units in the Colorado guard/reserves, what seems interesting is Psyops, and then the infantry units within the guard. I know they have an SF unit there but i'll be the ripe ol' age of 35 and I can only assume that going through SF training at 35 is probably a ridiculous feat.

Anywho, anyone who has insight on the colorado guard/reserve or if I'm just being an idiot and shouldn't even consider this would be appreciated.

I will post a picture of a cute dog for reparations for asking such a dumb question

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think last night I had a lapse in judgement with the idea of going SF and whatnot. I still need 12 years of time in service to qualify for bennies and after considering the idea that if I were even able to pass SFAS and SFQC I'm going to be doing this well into my late 40's. Granted I am still very fit now, doesn't mean I won't be a pile of broken joints by the age of 45.

I need to re-eval my thoughts on getting back in but as a medical professional, since knocking out 12 years as a nurse or even something with my paramedic license seems to be like playing army on easy mode.

Thanks everyone, I apologize for my transgressions

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

brains posted:

let me just say that the odds of you passing selection and the Q course from walking in off the street at the age of 35 are....low. and you *do not* want to be a 35-year old SF contract drop who is now a Needs Of The Army.

Yeah. A buddy I work with went through SFAS, failed language school, and when we were taking he stated "yeah, you can get through selection*. He mentioned that he was with dudes in their mid 30's and some 46 year old officer going through and made it.

But the conversation switched to "after I got dropped I got sent to the 82nd with the infantry" which has been a topic of epic ranting conversations the last 2 years I've worked with him.

So I'll go ahead and just scratch that off the list

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Time Crisis Actor posted:

You can always try with the guard. If you fail, you'll just go right back to your SF unit.

Can't tell if this is legit or you're a recruiter lmao

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've been reached out by a lot of AMEDD recruiters that want ER nurses bad, which I am. I just never really wanted to do what I do in the civvy world to cross into the guard, because where else are you gonna shoot a 249 or 240B?!

But as time goes on I understand that it's not all about being super hooah, however I just need to get to my next destination, get settled and figure out life then.

I hear army cooks are cool

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

For the record, the CA/PsyOps unit in CO is Reserve, not Guard. I’ve been idly considering trying to join that unit off and on over the last couple of years. When I talked to the local recruiter though he didn’t even know the unit existed so that hasn’t inspired confidence.

Yeah my buddy(ies) went into PsyOps in 06 and '10 respectively, I feel like I have a general understanding of what it's like, granted only from word of mouth and dated about a decade go. Fully aware it's a reserve and not guard ordeal.

also I was being sarcastic with the 249 and 240. I have cleaned/shot enough of those in my life that I've absolutely got my fill.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Carteret posted:

Great, just excuse my presumption that you were serious seeing as you are talking about re-enlisting

Serious in terms of re-enlisting? sure. The idea that whatever I do MUST involve shooting guns? Maybe 3-4 years ago but now I'm just considering something that I could see myself not hating one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer *terms and conditions may vary*

just stating in my previous post that my thought process of re-enlisting/commissioning have changed quite a bit.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My current plan for re-enlisting.

Join in whatever MOS is available, fingers crossed for 88M.

Hit the rank of E-6

go through OCS

Become a captain of a company, teach everyone about the Baptist religion and convert my entire company into preaching Baptists

retire and work for KBR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I have/had a bunch of poo poo I got from going through OSUT during the time of BDU's, followed by deploying with ACU's, followed by getting re-issued a poo poo ton of TA-50 after getting back which apparently was never documented.

I should sell that stuff