Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

uhhhhhhh where does Texas attach to the rest of the snake Ben?!

I think the idea is that the Texas snake is going to somehow fuse them into him. Somehow.

That is probably still overthinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nenonen posted:

It could be subconscious projection. Has Ted ever drawn a clock face?

He can't even draw a regular face.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Every other comic Rall does is about the cruel and monstrous stupidity of America's endless warfare in the Middle East and now he wants America to start some poo poo? Like I get his point that Saudi Arabia leadership gets away with a lot of poo poo that other Islamic countries don't but "we should nuke Saudi Arabi" is not the best way to illustrate that.

I dunno it seems like he really wants us to go a lot harder on any Islamic nation than we basically ever have.

Perhaps his problem with Iraq was not that we levelled the country for bullshit reasons, but that we didn't make sure it glowed, too.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Is that him uh... trying to make the guy look GOOD or...?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

This is a great comic and a big step above the usual Nib crap.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Al "You gotta give me the shoe" Goodwyn

He fell the opposite way you idiot. He slipped going up, he didn't fall down it, dumbass!

Also I've fallen like that hurrying up stairs like that and I'm 30.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: How You Can Survive on $1400

Ugh how are you always the worst, Rall?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bors has been worse than Rall for at least 4 years. I'm glad their bland dumb nonsense is going away. They got broke by Trump and there's no shame in that.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

At least Bors can draw.

Katt posted:

Bors is a fantastic guy and a skilled artist but his comics (besides a few solid hits) tend to be long winded and reiterating stuff we all take for granted.

Yeah the world is poo poo and will probably stay poo poo for a while. There's no hope and we're hosed. That's 90% of Bors output. I agree with him on pretty much all points he ever made but I'm not looking forward to seeing the next chapter.

Compare that to for example Eli Valley, often one panel comics with little dialogue that looks like garbage but it's sharp as hell and provokes feeling something.

I agree with this. The Mad Max stuff was terrible because it didn't really do anything with his message, and in fact often clashed with it to the point of making it nonsense. I guess it was fun to draw, though.

And Eli Valley indeed provokes feeling something. Usually a wish for him to learn how to draw!! He always seems like he's trying to imitate the awful UK toons, and those are awful even with people who are good at drawing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Nonsense, this is an election year!

(Seriously, WTF is a cyberninja?)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, Rall wrote a cartoon about a Biden administration policy and didn't find a way to criticize it? He's off his game today.

It's okay, the screed with the comic does that instead.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's absolutely a bad faith argument from Garrison, the Kamala book thing is pretty gross.

How so? The only story I can find on it that isn't from Fox News has details like that it turned out that like a copy of it was found among a pile of other books donated by some person. It'd be like blaming Obama if a random copy of some book he wrote showed up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Mike Nelson from MST3K used to be on the podcast too, but he pulled out after catching heat.

I dont know posted:

I'm surprised he pulled out, the two of them have been friends and collaborators for years now. Mike voiced the protagonist in Doug's spiritual successor to The Neverhood some years back.
People liked Axe Cop because it was literally the imaginative ramblings of a 5 year old illustrated. The art were good, but that's not why it was popular or stood out from a million other webcomics. I assumed he cleaned up the writing a bit, but that's different then editing writing that's intended to be coherent.

Nelson is more forgivable because Tenpanel is literally his childhood hero for making the Earthworm Jim games. That's why Mike Nelson so eagerly has worked with him. But well, Tenpanel got so bad even Nelson couldn't ignore it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Republicans posted:

I dunno about childhood hero considering Nelson is in his 50's. I think it's more they're both conservative guys in industries that generally don't have a lot of conservatives in them. But he's never been one to make his politics part of his public persona so I imagine he tries to stay away from anything that might alienate parts of his audience.

I actually thought he was younger, wow. He old as gently caress. Either way Mike Nelson described Earthworm Jim as the game that made him fall in love with video games and he describes it reverently whenever it comes up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Xander77 posted:

He starred in a 90's TV show as an adult. 50 is about the least he could possibly be.

I mean, you're absolutely right. I never had a single thought about that, since I mostly only know him as a disembodied voice on a podcast.

I dont know posted:

I can sympathize, even though I first got exposed to Doug's work as a kid, it felt unbelievably brilliant to me. This was to such an extent that, as an adult, learning about how hateful and horrible his views are felt like a personal betrayal to me. Despite him not being a person I ever met or otherwise knew. It's like learning Salvador Dali was a diehard fascist even into the 1980's. It raises hard to answer questions about separating art from artist.

I never played the Earthworm Jim games or ever really know them so it is lost on me, but I can understand the sentiment nonetheless.

Also, gently caress Stantis. He is always the worst at whatever he says, which is usually nothing in the end!!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

I thought this was more of a Fallout reference, personally.

It's not like that is any timelier. Post-Apocalyptic Politoons are kind of stale and old-hat now.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's just the thing, I actually spend a great deal of time worrying about the planet falling apart. I am well aware that things are bad, but agreeing that things are bad doesn't mean I don't also think it's dull to see a lazy comic where mad max characters restate how a bad thing happened while offering no further reflection on the bad thing beyond "gee things sure are bad, bad things really do happen a lot!" for the ten thousandth time.

"The Statue of Liberty is a powerful symbol, don't overuse it" joke is very very apt when it comes to the mad max apocalypse cartoons.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: From the Same People Who Brought You WMDs

So what, Fox should just be allowed to lie and make things worse, Rall?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Minna Sundberg beat him to this, and it looks better and likely makes more sense (relatively speaking) than anything he could put out. But whatever, you’re officially in a competition for “Most Tragic Change in Politics for a Reclusive Webcomics Artist” so maybe it’s time to re-evaluate your life.

What's this about Mina Sundberg?

EDIT: ... I did not realize I was like a week behind the thread somehow, I'm sorry.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 11, 2021

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

fool of sound posted:

The table you apparently linked to is specifically life expectancy at birth.

If you read the notes it also states the life expentancy if you live to 15 and other various milestone ages that they had data for.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I think you need the accompanying rant to really emphasis the racism. Upon first look, I thought the backwards country statement was just something the imperialists would say, and not a sincere belief held by Horsey.

Yeah that's what I thought too since it was being said by 'Folly'. Wow what a racist dick.

Vargo posted:

So earlier I was wondering why Varvel was so in love with this Andy Griffith reference and kept drawing Joe Biden as Barney Fife, a character that people like Varvel actually love despite (or because of) his incompetence and fascist tendencies. (That second comic references an actual AG episode wherein Barney Fife, left in charge of the town while Andy runs out, arrests everyone in town on bullshit charges. The episode concludes with everyone coming back to jail and locking themselves up so Barney doesn't feel bad for overreacting. So I guess.... the landlords should continue to not charge rent, so that Joe Biden's ego is appeased? Is that what you meant, Varvel?)

Then, while I was doing research for my podcast, I stumbled across an amazing find.

See, the cult of Andy Griffith fans, who are generally older, "family values" conservatives - they have an entire club, the Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club, full of conventions, podcasts and... a movie of their very own.

The titular Mayberry Man there is actually played by Varvel's son, too.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay, what the gently caress. Tedd Rall has been putting drones being bad above all else (and he's right on that, drones are bad) for decades, he brings up drones even they have nothing to do with the issue at hand. Now the American government is finally doing something that would actually lead to less deaths by dronings and he immediately declares "This is bad actually"

I get the feeling that, as someone stated, he only dislikes drones for contrarian reasons. If we went back to just cruise missiling everything that moves or flattening cities with carpet bombing, then he'd start screaming about how we could be using drones to lessen civilian casualties.

It's like how one of the Ryans regularly shits on drones used in warfare but says we should be using them to blow up shoplifters.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

...who the hell thinks Carter is the worst president ever? Not even saying you have to think he's good, and hell I could even see someone saying "worst in my lifetime" and I'd think that's silly but you could argue it. But ever?

Ah yes, who could forget how Obama started and masterminded the war in Afghanistan?

Is his Carter just his Black Child character except whitewashed literally?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

fool of sound posted:

I actually asked Rall about the drones thing during a Reddit AMA several years ago, and he said that he focuses specifically on drones because they represent a kind of clinical warfare where soldiers are detached from the reality of killing and the public doesn't care because American soldiers aren't returning home maimed or dead. I think the latter in particular is kinda ridiculous because it's not as though the public seemed to care about the mental and physical injuries inflicted on the boots-on-the-ground soldiers in Iraq.

If people think it's for a good cause then maimed soldiers will only amplify support for it and future wars.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I don't remember how Ted "Drones" Rall started his arguments but somewhere along the line drones morphed to a shorthand for how Obama was bad. It was made obvious during the first couple of years of Trump where the drone strikes increased but were reported less (but you could easily find out if you cared) where Rall made a whole bunch of cartoons that were "Obama was a Drone Murderer but he was erudite so you loved him whereas you're mad at Trump for making dumb tweets" instead of "you're mad at Trump for dumb tweets when you should be mad at the drone strikes".

I'm not sure he will start it up again full pelt under Biden because I don't think he's got the same appeal as Obama had - which was the thing that set Rall off.

I don't think you're really wrong on this line. Rall only cares that Obama was liked. Trump wasn't liked, so Rall didn't care about opposing him nearly as hard.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

:yeah:! gently caress that Ted Rall.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

He's usually thinking about vanilla ice cream in very close detail.

This makes him intensely relatable, to be honest.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

itskage posted:

This part of MGS5 was rough.

Funnily enough, according to my friend who had seen his cartoons in the wild in the distant past, he use to do purely video game cartoons.

My friend did not sound terribly surprised at how bad his new cartoons are.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hadn't heard that one. Nice to know Lalo is still one of the good cartoonists.

As far as I know they didn't follow her into the stall, so it still seems like a weird way to present it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

oobey posted:

Problem: Ben wants to transition, but the stigma in the right-wing community prevents this.
Solution: First, start by introducing Tina as a separate persona…

Let's not do this.