Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I want to start reading more prose again, so a late signup for this. I also want to actually finish more books, not just stop three quarters of the way through.

Name: Jordan7hm
Personal Challenge: 52 books finished, of which one should be Moby Dick.
Booklord 2021? Yes

And just putting some initial planned titles down here as a guide for myself, I'll probably edit it with new ideas whenever I come up with stuff. One of my goals for what to pick is to read books I own but haven't read / finished.

9. Read something in translation.
Norwegian Wood

11. Read some short stories.
The Best of Roald Dahl has been sitting on my shelf for years.

12. Read something about a monster.
I'm noticing a real issue with my shelves being filled with white male authors. Frankenstein seems a good choice here then.

13. Read an essay collection.
Best Food Writing 2017... though I imagine I'll do a couple of books for this.

15. Read something set in the recent past.
Michael Lewis is my favorite non-fiction author and for whatever reason I haven't read either Panic or Boomerang yet despite buying them like the week they came out. So one of those.

17. Read something about the ocean.
Moby Dick, I guess

19. Read something about games.
Picked up this book in November, so I should read it. Wonderland: how play made the modern world

20. Read a bestseller from the week/month you were born.
The Little Drummer Girl

Ones I still need to figure out:

5. Read books whose titles include all the colours of the rainbow. (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet) this one seems the most onerous
8. Read something that's out of print. I have most of the run of the SF Laser Books imprint, so I'll read some of that. Not sure what yet though.
10. Read some poetry. I've actually read all the poetry still on my shelves. I may need to buy something new for this. Might end up being a requested wildcard, but I'll need to think about it more.
14. Read something historical about a place you've never visited.
16. Read something from a non-human perspective. Likely also something from Laser Books.
18. Read a collaboration between two or more authors.
21. Read something by a writer who spent time incarcerated.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s too late to read books sorry.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

But you can do it tomorrow.

I followed your advice and read a book.

Jan / Early Feb:

1. Outside the Gates by Molly Gloss - a short fantasy novella that follows a boy who gets put out by his tribe and has to make his way in the wilderness. Short and sweet, I really enjoyed this one.

2. Best Food Writing 2017 by various - exactly what it says on the tin: a collection of the best food essays from 2017. My favorites were generally the ones written by POC examining food culture and appropriation

3. The Wilderness Hunter by Theodore Roosevelt - this one was a slog, a recollection of his experiences hunting big game in late 19th century America. There were a couple interesting parts, particularly the description of his encounter with a Grizzly, but for the most part it was an extended list of animals he killed and what he thought about the best ways to kill them. Each chapter or even section in a single chapter reminded me of hunting magazines I read when I was a kid. The book I have also includes Hunting Trips of a Ranchman but I think I'll skip that one, this was enough hunting for me.

4. Grifter's Game by Lawrence Block - I picked up a number of these Hard Case imprint books over the last month, and this was the first one I tackled. A very fast read, punchy and a bit more explicit than I expected. Follows a grifter who falls in love with a woman and together they plot a murder. The ending is absolutely hosed up and recontextualizes the entire book. Enjoyed it, but man that ending.

5. The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley - Read this for January BOTM. Another quick read, lots of fun. I'm interested in reading more of this character and author for sure.

6. The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin - a re-read for me, as I first read this in the 5th or 6th grade and have read it every 5-10 years since. This time I read it out loud to my son, who was way into it. For how short and to the point the story could be (the climax is extremely quick), Le Guin's prose is still flowery and at times beautiful. I bought Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore and will be tackling those with my son over the next month or so as well.

7. The Best of Roald Dahl by Roald Dahl - short story collection that presents selected stories in chronological order from the 40s to 70s and hits some real highs (Pig, Man from the South, Skin, among others) but also some fairly sloggy lows (an extended series of shorts about grasping English farmers). I was looking forward to this one ending by the time it did, but that shouldn't discount how great those early stories were.

Numbers
Personal Challenge: 7/52 books, Moby Dick not read yet
Non-male authors: 2/6 (I'm excluding "various" from this calculation)
Non-white authors: 0/6
Non-CIS authors: 0/6

11. Read some short stories. - The Best of Roald Dahl
13. Read an essay collection. Best Food Writing 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Only managed to get through one more book in Feb (in addition to the ones I finished before my in-Feb update).

Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami’s novel set in Japan in the late 60s / early 70s, about coping with depression and loss and that difficult transition into adulthood.

I knew nothing about this book going in, and while I think it would have had a greater impact on me if i read it in my early 20s (holy poo poo it would have affected me), it was nonetheless a moving read. I picked it up around 830 on Saturday night and blew threw it in a few hours lying in bed.

I have “what I think about when I think about running” on my shelf unread and the way Murakami is able to evoke real emotion for these fictional characters through his writing makes me very excited to read something of his more akin to a memoire.