Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Guy A. Person posted:

So after breaking my record considerably last year I've decided to slow down my reading a bit for two reasons:

1. I want to savor the books more and not worry as much about ticking off a number
2. I want to pursue other hobbies

I also tend to keep reading books even when I'm not feeling them which I've realized is a waste of time

I considered actually setting a ceiling on my reading but that seems like a lot of hassle and would be embarrassing if I didn't even hit that, so I'll just say:

Name: Guy A. Person
Personal Challenge: whatever number of books just give every one the proper attention and don't force anything
Booklord 2021?: I might not do the entire thing but I definitely like some of the challenges and want a wildcard

I've realized this was a very long post to say "I am going to read some books this year"

This pretty much sums up my a lot of my thoughts on last year. I ended up not reading things I really wanted to read because I wanted to catch up on challenges and check off boxes.

Name: cryptoclastic
Personal challenge: more than one book
Booklord 2021: some of it! How much remains to be seen.

I will do the wildcard challenge later though, as the past couple of years have been pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I read two books in January.

1. A Burning by Megha Majumdar
This was for my local book club. We read Interior Chinatown, which won the National Book Award, and wanted to see what the competition was like. I feel I would get more from this if I knew more about the Indian system. I am pretty sure it was a commentary on the current administration. Not bad but nothing special. Class struggle and the selling out of one another to move up.

2. Mina by Kim Sagwa
I first heard about this from the KBS daily news podcast that I listen to. It sounded interesting, so I had been looking for a copy for a while, but refused to buy it. I got my local library to order a copy, so I finally got to read it! I new it was a weird story about life for young people in Korea, but I didn’t know it was going to be as messed up as it was. At the same time, however, I was definitely reminded of many of my students while reading the book. The lack of concern for others was a real thing that I have seen time and time again among young people here, and there’s a general lack of apathy. Kids will have fun and get along with each other, but not actually care for their classmates. From the beginning, the end of the book was pretty much spelled out for you, but the path it took to get there was more and more sickening as things went on.

None of these books fit any of the categories, but both are by non-white women!