Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw it on the weekend, it was fine; 6/10.

I like it better than WW84 but I didn't really find it all that funny. It seemed like all the good jokes were in the trailer. I enjoyed GotG a bit more.

Maybe it's because theaters have been closed for a year but I don't get all the "OMG you have GOT to see this movie" hype that I keep hearing in the reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Everyone posted:

Harley Quinn was functionally immortal in this movie due to probable future Harley Quinn products.

Hence the bit where she fights her way out of the baddies' lair solo, complete with flower power effects to make it clear that we've departed from the "real world" of the film

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Harley is DC's Tom Bombadil. I will not be elaborating.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

But then that makes Joker-

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/allowedtohit/status/1424167057424326660?s=19

Whatever movie comes after Shang Chi is going to have one scene be heavily marketed as being shot on location as a response to this tweet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They bluescreened a bar? lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vintersorg posted:

They bluescreened a bar? lol
CGI workers aren't unionised, I think is the deal

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Detective No. 27 posted:

Whatever movie comes after Shang Chi is going to have one scene be heavily marketed as being shot on location as a response to this tweet.

I'm pretty sure at this point Disney just shoots entire movies in front of bluescreens without scripts and then they just CGI the rest of the movie in post production

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To be fair, I didn't even notice it was green screened.

I saw a video that went through all of the CGI in movies that nobody notices. It is pretty wild that basically everything from facial hair for continuity issues, shadows, crowds, and details/textures on clothing and tires has tons of small CGI work done to it that nobody ever notices.

Some of the major ones I remember were:

- Tobey Maguire's wig seems in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- Removed tattoos from Nic Cage and Jeremy Renner.
- A bunch of tiny details on building faces to make it look less like Vancouver.
- Basically every outdoor scene in The Wolf of Wall Street.
- Almost every modern movie where someone is driving a car and it is raining.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Given that Harley has been in back to back flops WB will probably conclude people are sick of her.

Yeah i think it’s extremely clear now that Harley Quinn alone is not enough to get people to watch these movies.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

John Cena's character was very interesting to me because so much of his wrestling career has been built on military dick riding

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have picked up on this though, and it could v well be intentional

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, I didn't even notice it was green screened.

Disney clearly is exploiting VFX labor for the most menial poo poo to save every dollar they can. Cheaper to just underpay a farm of VFX artists than to shoot on location with extras and crew.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

Nah, that's Bat-Mite.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

teagone posted:

Disney clearly is exploiting VFX labor for the most menial poo poo to save every dollar they can. Cheaper to just underpay a farm of VFX artists than to shoot on location with extras and crew.

Is there anywhere you could find a breakdown of what that scene (or something of similarly small scope) would cost on location vs CGI?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah i think it’s extremely clear now that Harley Quinn alone is not enough to get people to watch these movies.

The issue’s not the ‘Harley Quinn’ character, but that she was originally disturbingly crazy, along the same lines as Michelle Pfeiffer’s Catwoman.

Suicide Squad 1’s Harley is in this toxic sadomasochistic relationship that deviates from all standards of health and decency, and she fuckin loves it because it’s addictive, self-destructive, etc. Harley is a character whose goal is to transcend human experience by taking all of the drugs and opening the hellraiser puzzle box, then taking more drugs.... And that’s simply entertaining to watch.

Sequel-Harley is like “I regret that lifestyle and will only indulge in moderate zaniness henceforth”.

That’s a “good message” for Today’s Hypothetical Potato-Brained Youths (so that they don’t get tricked into eating a Tide Pod, or whatever), but it’s dull as dishwater and audiences don’t like it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Didn’t the only movie with Harley in it released not during a pandemic make money and win an Oscar?

BoP was only at the start of the pandemic but it also had the worst ad campaign I can think of for a modern big budget comic movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Harley Quinn cartoon was really fun though. I think I just don't need any more of Margot Robbie in that role.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Random blue screening and digital effects in basic stuff like a crowd scenes isn't really exclusive to Disney and Marvel but kind of all over production.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crackbone posted:

Is there anywhere you could find a breakdown of what that scene (or something of similarly small scope) would cost on location vs CGI?

It's fairly well documented how overworked/underpaid VFX artists are. It's not hard to employ hypothetical breakdowns of how much more hiring extras, set dressers, craft services, etc., to shoot on location would be compared to just dumping two actors in some backlot against a blue screen and having a handful of VFX artists paint in the set later.

[edit] Curiously, there is also no VFX union in the film industry.

[edit 2] relevant reddit thread/youtube essay https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/hr2xlt/why_are_there_no_vfx_unions/

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 9, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Didn’t the only movie with Harley in it released not during a pandemic make money and win an Oscar?

BoP was only at the start of the pandemic but it also had the worst ad campaign I can think of for a modern big budget comic movie.

Yeah you know who else was in that? Will Smith

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

What I'm guessing happened for the scene in that tweet is that there was a real version of the scene filmed on location at one point, but they realized there was something not working during post production and then did some reshoots with different dialogue - the scene itself is a big exposition dump for Yelena's past, and sets up her relationship with her sister moving forward, so I could see them taking a couple of passes to get it right.

It's not as bad as Josstice League or Fant4stic, but there's a pretty big giveaway in the strong rim light they've given her in the reshoot version (specifically how it makes her hair glow and puts a large bright patch on her shoulder).

Original:

Reshoot:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

josh04 posted:

This slayed me, too true. I'm not sure why, it's just true. I gotta listen to the unabridged Harley Quinn audiobook narrated by Rob Inglis.

I like The Suicide Squad a good bit. Not all the bits fully landed, but overall I found it very solid. It's playing with classic genre pieces, "men on a mission" movie, corrupt caricatures, Deadpool 2-esque gags and tone, some of that ol' James Gunn magic (loved the Lloyd Kaufman cameo), just a good time. I guess the stuff that worked best felt you might say "easy", or they make it look easy, but I'm happy that it worked. Since for me this is the first one that worked in this series thingy, third time's the charm for Harley.

As an adaptation (very loose), as an entry in this style of movie, overall it's just interesting to see where they're going, and what they went with. I like Idris Elba's Bloodsport, pretty much an original character. Pastiche of Deadshot and Deathstroke etc. A while back I read some of that Byrne Superman stuff, including the first appearance of Bloodsport, and it's just a different character. The movie gave a nod to Bloodsport shooting Superman, but other than that it's just a cool name for a new honorable guns for hire guy. And that said, I wonder why this Bloodsport would have shot Superman. I guess he was hired to do it? Still seems like a bad idea. Not that his backstory was too crucial. He just elevated the material and ruled I'd say. Big Idris fan.

https://collider.com/idris-elba-reveals-he-signed-on-for-the-suicide-squad-without-knowing-anything/

(Just took a look at that article, talks a bit about Idris and how they came up with the character.)

I think for me it worked best when played a bit straight. When it leaned too into a gag (say the beginning gag with the first team), it just didn't quite land. Then when it got into the more earnest genre stuff, like us rooting for Bloodsport, the lovable Rat Catcher 2 etc, along with the flourishes of nutty interactions and kooky stuff, that worked for me. And again, it's funny how easy it looks to say make King Shark a beloved star, but I think they did it. Easy or not, King Shark has those soulful eyes, that performance, he's the new Boris Karloff meets James Dean. He has arrived. I think.

Also, it's gotta be good to be a hot movie director who gets to put his favorite songs all over his movies. I often am not 100% sure on why a director made their choices, but it pretty much works well enough. Like that mercenary heist movie Triple Frontier, it had an 80s Metallica motif for some reason. I feel like they could have picked anything really, but I still enjoyed those classics. As for The Suicide Squad's vibe of Pixies and whatnot, seemed to fit pretty well. I would've enjoyed some The Pillows on there, I think it would've fit, that would've been inspired.

What is King Shark if not a Blues Drive Monster? Do we not Ride on Shooting Star by the end of the film? I believe Bloodsport could be The Last Dinosaur. Is Polka Dot Man not a Strange Chameleon? And there's only One Life, etc. The Pillows.

Also, Harley Quinn's "Hey Ho Let's Go" backpack, I'm gonna say it. I love the Ramones, and I appreciate that Harley also is into the Ramones, I had no idea. Why no Ramones cut on the soundtrack though, James? Commando, Let's Go from End of the Century, Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment, hello James? Cretin Hop? I wanna go for a whirl with my cretin girl? I'd like to have a talk with Mr Gunn about this, does he have an AMA coming up I wonder.

Jimbot posted:

Ghost Rider 2 had a superior Idris Elba performance therefor it is better than Suicide Squad 2.

Also flamethrower piss. (A shame they spoiled that gag in the trailer, it's v good)

I love Neveldine and Taylor, and Cage of course, I didn't feel that made much use of Idris myself. I'm more of a Luther guy, I like a shouting Pacino Idris. A cool Stringer Idris also works, but you gotta give us a lot of Idris. I personally find Gamer to be the better random B-tier film by those guys. Crank of course being their masterpiece. We sure need a Crank 3.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 10, 2021

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The Suicide Squad was not good. It wasn’t a particularly interesting movie on its face, and then has the thickest layer yet of that weird James Gunn smugness where he just KNOWS this dumb poo poo is HILARIOUS. Angels splooging. I had to do a number two. Terrible.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Getting upset that a bunch of fictional leftist guerilla fighters die for laughs is... Odd. A giant starfish presumably murders thousands of innocent people.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
excuse me they’re fictional right wing guerillas so it’s fine

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Getting upset that a bunch of fictional leftist guerilla fighters die for laughs is... Odd. A giant starfish presumably murders thousands of innocent people.

Most movies are fictional, so that's a pretty convenient way to cut off any criticism.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

Both are bad

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a sign that I’m a jaded old person now but I genuinely get pretty peeved when protagonists drive dangerously in movies and it’s played off as necessary or funny. Automobile accidents kill millions every year. Pop culture goes a long way to normalize lovely anti-social behavior.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vegetable posted:

It’s a sign that I’m a jaded old person now but I genuinely get pretty peeved when protagonists drive dangerously in movies and it’s played off as necessary or funny. Automobile accidents kill millions every year. Pop culture goes a long way to normalize lovely anti-social behavior.

well this sure was a take

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vegetable posted:

Counter point vehicular accidents are often quite funny in films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jt2f-Zpe80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikj8eDKxMQ

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWymUc7LqVM

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

I mean obviously it's very funny when leftists die, I would just have expected it to affect something else in the movie, like maybe the daughter of the deposed president betrays them as payback or something. It feels a bit strange that the punchline exists on its own. Like when Harley kills the president that's funny, but also afterwards she has to IDDQD her way to freedom.

Apropos of nothing, what were those things on Peter Capaldi's head? Did they do anything? I don't remember them ever getting used at all

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Apropos of nothing, what were those things on Peter Capaldi's head? Did they do anything? I don't remember them ever getting used at all

They make his brain good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vegetable posted:

Davey and Goliath was a pretty good comic book movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty much slay kween Bay of Pigs.

Would be forgiven if Harley ends up taking over as the new dictator.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty much slay kween Bay of Pigs.

Would be forgiven if Harley ends up taking over as the new dictator.

You even don’t need to go back to the ‘60s; Suicide Squad 2 depicts a non-funny, successful version of the infamous real-world “Operation Gideon” from last year.

“60 guys can go in and inspire the military and police to flip and join in the liberation of their country, which deep down is what they want."

That’s right: under the bad jokes, Suicide Squad 2 fundamentally presents a positive, supportive view of the recent botched attack on Venezuela that left six dead (including two Trump-supporter mercenaries) and seventeen captured, with literal photos of them pissing themselves circulating online.

Even the “sixty-nine” joke seems like an attempted redemption of Gideon, since the general character is all worried that sixty-odd men might have invaded the country. In reality, 60 was considered insane and pathetic by everyone.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even the “sixty-nine” joke seems like an attempted redemption of Gideon, since the general character is all worried that sixty-odd men might have invaded the country. In reality, 60 was considered insane and pathetic by everyone.

The Cuban revolution began with 60 guerrilla fighters in the mountains.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Necrothatcher posted:

A good meta joke with US intelligence agencies being genuinely inspired by Castro but totally ignoring his "moral bullet proof vest", aka popular support.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Necrothatcher posted:

That's a very different scenario.

Operation Gideon was an invasion attempt using two small boatloads of dissidents and mercs, that immediately failed because the official government had plenty of advance knowledge of the attack.

Suicide Squad 2 basically just swapped out the boats with helicopters, and swapped out (most of) the right-wing dissidents with cartoon animals and popular character Harley Quinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It really is quite something that the 'reviled' prequel is very much not about wacky imperial adventures, and its jokes are more along the lines of "Batman is a real piece of poo poo, huh?"