Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Trying to get NWH tickets last nighr was such a shitshow. Even after waiting over an hour to get through the queue, AMC's website would just throw an error after selecting your seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Trying to get NWH tickets last nighr was such a shitshow. Even after waiting over an hour to get through the queue, AMC's website would just throw an error after selecting your seat.

https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-now-way-home-demand-crashes-theater-websites

Apparently multiple ticket sites were melting down. I guess this movie is super popular?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The ticketing websites really should have been better prepared, Spider Monday comes every year.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Get Andy Serkis to direct a Animal Man movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If there’s one thing i want from a Venom movie it’s giant mouth green slobber Venom from the 90’s

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Spalec posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-now-way-home-demand-crashes-theater-websites

Apparently multiple ticket sites were melting down. I guess this movie is super popular?

Makes sense, he's easily the most popular marvel superhero. I know people give (rightfully) give a lot of credit to Iron Man but Spiderman always has been and might always be the most popular Marvel property.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Away all Goats posted:

Makes sense, he's easily the most popular marvel superhero. I know people give (rightfully) give a lot of credit to Iron Man but Spiderman always has been and might always be the most popular Marvel property.

Iron Man's popularity is really pretty recent, whenever that first movie came out. If you read comic books, you knew who he was but that was about it.

Spider-man has been popular and in the pop culture consciousness since his creation. He's had at least one cartoon series in every decade since the 60's. There's was a live action tv show. He even had a newspaper comic strip that ran for decades. The Rami movies were massive hits. Globally, he's by far and away the most well-known Marvel property.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got a ticket just fine through the Regal app.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Iron Man's popularity is really pretty recent, whenever that first movie came out. If you read comic books, you knew who he was but that was about it.
I think that's a little hyperbolic. Iron Man was always a big Avenger, had a few classic arcs, toys were pretty common, and he had whole animated series. I think it's fair to say he was always a prominent figure in the comics even if he wasn't as much a sensation as Spider-Man, X-Men, or Daredevil were at various points in history.

What is funny about Iron Man is that he was definitely hitting a more prominent role around 2006 with Civil War which cast Iron Man as at best an anti-Hero and at worst, the straight up big bad of Marvel Comics. Iron Man kinda, sorta being a bad guy made a lot of sense.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that's a little hyperbolic. Iron Man was always a big Avenger, had a few classic arcs, toys were pretty common, and he had whole animated series. I think it's fair to say he was always a prominent figure in the comics even if he wasn't as much a sensation as Spider-Man, X-Men, or Daredevil were at various points in history.

What is funny about Iron Man is that he was definitely hitting a more prominent role around 2006 with Civil War which cast Iron Man as at best an anti-Hero and at worst, the straight up big bad of Marvel Comics. Iron Man kinda, sorta being a bad guy made a lot of sense.

It isn't really hyperbolic to say nobody really cared about Iron Man outside of comics fans before his movie. His 90s cartoon only got 26 episodes because nobody cared. Why did they still have the rights to make an Iron Man movie?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Venom 2 was a very stupid fever dream and I don’t regret watching it at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The most some average filmgoers knew about Iron Man was that he was some kind of robot before RDJ.

It stands to be seen how that'll hold up after him

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

It isn't really hyperbolic to say nobody really cared about Iron Man outside of comics fans before his movie. His 90s cartoon only got 26 episodes because nobody cared. Why did they still have the rights to make an Iron Man movie?

Yeah. IM had one show at all before the movie. If you asked the average person before the MCU about Iron Man they'd just go "That Black Sabbath" song?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. IM had one show at all before the movie. If you asked the average person before the MCU about Iron Man they'd just go "That Black Sabbath" song?

Dont forget its pop cover!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gQSPMHPm0

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

To be fair, non-metalheads might have said, "Some sports competition or something?"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Say what you will about comic book movies and the MCU but turning characters like Thor and Ant Man and whoever else you can think of into household names that generate a ton of money in movie bucks is a pretty huge accomplishment

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
thor is a pretty silly example considering the whole norse mythology angle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If there’s one thing i want from a Venom movie it’s giant mouth green slobber Venom from the 90’s

Gotta say that despite the 90s being a parody of itself for excess and silliness, Venom was just a loving perfect design for the era and aesthetic.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

man nurse posted:

Say what you will about comic book movies and the MCU but turning characters like Thor and Ant Man and whoever else you can think of into household names that generate a ton of money in movie bucks is a pretty huge accomplishment

Sure, in the same way that Coke and McDonalds being names recognized all over the world are huge accomplishments.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

man nurse posted:

Movie studios selling movies to people is the point of movie studios.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Watch Spider-Man NWH be the major reason for world-wide spread of Omicron strain.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 30, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Samovar posted:

Watch Spider-Man NWH be the major reason for works wide spread of Omicron strain.

Spider-Man: Next Wave Hello!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Can't help but see foreshadowing in "Omicron Variant" being such a comic-booky name

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samovar posted:

Spider-Man NWH

Stoked for Miles Morales and Venom to make their mainstream MCU debut in Spider-Man: Fear of a Black Costume.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You know, I'd totally be down for No Way Home if Miles Morales appears literally as the Spider-Verse one, as in being animated and having his own framerate and all.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know, I'd totally be down for No Way Home if Miles Morales appears literally as the Spider-Verse one, as in being animated and having his own framerate and all.

I love this idea.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jedit posted:

Stoked for Miles Morales and Venom to make their mainstream MCU debut in Spider-Man: Fear of a Black Costume.

lol

Don't web-shoot until you see the whites of their symbiote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dietrich posted:

I love this idea.

It also makes a fun irony, now he's the Peter Porker!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If they had cast the Rock for Venom instead of Topher in Spider-Man 3, they could have saved money and done a better job with the casting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Can't help but see foreshadowing in "Omicron Variant" being such a comic-booky name

Even better, David Cage game.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

Watch Spider-Man NWH be the major reason for world-wide spread of Omicron strain.

It’s worth it to see Tobey and Dafoe again!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Will say without any context needed: Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder understand that a plot device and a metaphor can be the same drat thing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Speaking of Spider-Men, we have a name for the next Spider-Verse movie.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Speaking of Spider-Men, we have a name for the next Spider-Verse movie.

And a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnBzcLQUhYQ

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Whenever I think of pre-MCU Marvel in the mainstream I think about the Marvel section of Universal Studios. The anchors were the Hulk roller coaster, the Dr Doom freefall tower thing, the Spider-Man 4D dark ride that broke constantly, and... that's about it I think? Oh there was also a teacups ride that I never went on that I think was Storm/X-Men themed. And they had a restaurant with all the other comics characters plastered on the walls, but I think it was mainly Captain America and Fantastic Four branded. I'm sure Iron Man appears in a few places but they never drew any attention to him.

I remember the meet and greet characters being really rare too, they only came out a couple times a day and it was just like Spidey, Cap, and some X-Men. The whole area was the weirdest low effort hodgepodge that felt like it had less prestige than the newspaper comics land, Spider-Man is basically the only element that doesn't feel like outdated Silver Age crap. I say "was" but I'm pretty sure it still exists exactly as it has for the past 20 years since Universal wants to hold onto the rights they have for dear life.

edit: lol

Ror fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 5, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Ror posted:

Whenever I think of pre-MCU Marvel in the mainstream I think about the Marvel section of Universal Studios. The anchors were the Hulk roller coaster, the Dr Doom freefall tower thing, the Spider-Man 4D dark ride that broke constantly, and... that's about it I think? Oh there was also a teacups ride that I never went on that I think was Storm/X-Men themed. And they had a restaurant with all the other comics characters plastered on the walls, but I think it was mainly Captain America and Fantastic Four branded. I'm sure Iron Man appears in a few places but they never drew any attention to him.

I remember the meet and greet characters being really rare too, they only came out a couple times a day and it was just like Spidey, Cap, and some X-Men. The whole area was the weirdest low effort hodgepodge that felt like it had less prestige than the newspaper comics land, Spider-Man is basically the only element that doesn't feel like outdated Silver Age crap.
Yeah it was great and I miss it dearly, just like I miss the dueling dragons coaster before it had to be some harry potter thing, and everything had to be subsumed into being part of a giant franchise megaverse. Spiderman was the best "4D" ride of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MgPOFZvRNA

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 5, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you say "silver age" but aren't all the properties on display basically based off of the 90s animated shows? iirc all of the rides used spliced together footage from their respective Fox cartoons for the pre-boarding areas, that and the queuing areas for the Spider-Man ride may as well have been used for a planned live action version of the show.

I honestly think Islands of Adventure works better if it sticks to its roots, the river ride for Jurassic Park is still fun and creepy, the Hulk ride is still awesome. Hell, the only part that sucks now is the Harry Potter incorporation, but maybe that's just because I don't like Harry Potter anymore

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spider-Man ride at island of adventure now is bigger than the new Spider-Man ride at Disneyland today

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My favorite part of Universal is how every dark ride needs to squirt water on you at least once. Even the Fast & Furious ride (which is so terrible that everyone should ride it ironically IMO) managed to fit it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CelticPredator posted:

Spider-Man ride at island of adventure now is bigger than the new Spider-Man ride at Disneyland today

The new Disneyland Spider-Man ride is essentially an interactive video game like Astro Blasters or Midway Mania. It’s a 4-seat pod that moves between 3D displays where you shoot at spider-bots that have gone rogue. It isn’t very big.

In general, the California Adventure “Avengers Campus” is bleak as hell, by the way. The conceit is that you’re on a vaguely corporate campus with a bunch of industrial buildings. It’s literally a bunch of featureless concrete buildings with fake MCU corporate logos on the side. The Spider-Man ride is inside a fake tech company called W.E.B. Peter Parker is an intern there, with a bunch of other made-up profiles for other interns or employees lining the walls.

It’s the most damning statement on modern Disney that I can imagine. Fantasyland places you inside fairy tales, asks you to imagine yourself inside of one. The fantasy at the core of Avengers Campus is that you, too, got a desirable internship at a prominent tech company. You can imagine yourself as a random underling given a laminated ID on a lanyard, passing through security to do fake skilled labor while you spend real money on Marvel products.