Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I have little investment on Aquafina, but Hell Yeah let’s get black and Asian people to fight eachother for our amusement.

Check out this take: Wu Tang Clan is cultural appropriation. They aren’t Chinese!

I don't think it's a thing for Black and Asian people to fight over so much as a very clear example of how white supremacy + capitalism enlists people to commodify and exploit culture without any consideration for larger structures, systems, power dynamics.

It's not her fault that stereotypes are what they are, or that minorites often have to pick one specific cultural identity to inhabit in the public sphere, or that there's a history of racialized performance rooted in dehumanization of minorites.

I wish she had listened to the criticism and at least taken it seriously but it is what it is. Doesn't make her a bad person but it also is fairly offensive and makes it hard to appreciate her talent elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't think it's a thing for Black and Asian people to fight over so much as a very clear example of how white supremacy + capitalism enlists people to commodify and exploit culture without any consideration for larger structures, systems, power dynamics.

You're right, but it doesn't stop there from being a lot of animosity between Black and Asian communities over this kind of thing. "Model minority" privilege is a real point of strife between them in general, so the belief that Awkwafina is asserting her identity as a POC to "justify" borrowing Blackness pisses a lot of people off. Essentially, "I can't be racist; I'm not white!"

COVID really de-railed a lot of that argument by revealing how conditional being a "model minority" actually is in the US.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is Rich Brian cultural theft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzc3_b_KnHc

This is a slippery slope.

E: This song is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adDD43CvrUc

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 20, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vintersorg posted:

Is Rich Brian cultural theft?
No, the guy going by Rich Chigga is totally OK and not problematic.

See also: Lil Tay.

Look, there's no doubt that a lot of Asian folks are into hip hop, turntablism, etc. What's difficult is the aspect here that Awkwafina can flip the vernacular and stylistic affectations when convenient. If that's the case, then it's some fake-rear end bullshit.

Like someone upthread was like :dumbgun: duh it's more mainstream :v: for her to drop the blaccent. How can you type that out and not see a problem?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He dropped Chigga

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I have little investment on Aquafina, but Hell Yeah let’s get black and Asian people to fight eachother for our amusement.

Check out this take: Wu Tang Clan is cultural appropriation. They aren’t Chinese!

This is some white nonsense.

https://youtu.be/z726OPwCnjE

https://youtu.be/pJk0p-98Xzc

Can you spot the difference?

Hint: one is using the culture to straight up profit and gain, the other is using it as inspiration for their own work.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
I can see why people find her problematic but i fail to see how that my vag song is imitating anything black or about black culture other than it being rap/hip-hop.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My Vag is also a straight-up Mickey Avalon ripoff, so if anything she's appropriating Jewish culture

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hoop Dreams posted:

I can see why people find her problematic but i fail to see how that my vag song is imitating anything black or about black culture other than it being rap/hip-hop.
Christ you people are tiresome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Blade is casting more people and moving into pre-production.

Stacy Osei-Kuffour will be writing the script.

She doesn't have many credits, but all of them have been pretty good.

She was the story editor and writer on HBO's Watchmen TV series, she was a co-writer for Pen15, and a writer on Hunters.

Also, someone I don't recognize named John West Jr. is cast to play someone named "Dee."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h..._source=twitter

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, someone I don't recognize named John West Jr. is cast to play someone named "Dee."

Yea nice try Leon Trotsky, I’m not falling for this, you’re just gonna say “Dee’s nuts”!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Hoop Dreams posted:

This is why I try not to post in cineD. You folks can find the smallest reference to the most esoteric art but racism is a nebulous phenomenon that can't quite be pinned down.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea nice try Leon Trotsky, I’m not falling for this, you’re just gonna say “Dee’s nuts”!

Almost got you!

I seriously don't know of any character named Dee in Blade. Maybe he is an original or some very minor character from the comics I can't remember.

The X-Men movie is apparently being called "The Mutants" internally, but it seems like it may be a placeholder name.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Almost got you!

I seriously don't know of any character named Dee in Blade. Maybe he is an original or some very minor character from the comics I can't remember.

Dee R. Acula.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Dee R. Acula.

Lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's not her fault that stereotypes are what they are, or that minorites often have to pick one specific cultural identity to inhabit in the public sphere, or that there's a history of racialized performance rooted in dehumanization of minorites.

I wish she had listened to the criticism and at least taken it seriously but it is what it is. Doesn't make her a bad person but it also is fairly offensive and makes it hard to appreciate her talent elsewhere.

Right, but if the actual issue is white supremacy under capitalism, then why not just say that? As you yourself note, her rap parody is just "fairly offensive" and she maybe could have, like, helped her career by issuing an apology. But there's nothing particularly anticapitalistic in that. The unstated assumption is that, if she had just politely 'sung Asian', and made money for her corporate masters that way, it would be good.

I'm always trying to figure out what the specific grievances are in this type of situation. Why is the ultimate goal humanization? Are we asking for a 'capitalism with a human face'? (Isn't some teen doing a cringe rap parody video, like, the most human thing?) If corporations commodified and exploited culture with consideration of "larger structures, systems, power dynamics"... would that be better?

I'm asking this rhetorical question because it seems that your actual issue is with the exploitation, but that you're also stepping back from that conclusion by conflating exploitation with a general 'tastelessness'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

No, the guy going by Rich Chigga is totally OK and not problematic.

See also: Lil Tay.

Look, there's no doubt that a lot of Asian folks are into hip hop, turntablism, etc. What's difficult is the aspect here that Awkwafina can flip the vernacular and stylistic affectations when convenient. If that's the case, then it's some fake-rear end bullshit.

Like someone upthread was like :dumbgun: duh it's more mainstream :v: for her to drop the blaccent. How can you type that out and not see a problem?

There's also tons of black weebs. Culture does weird things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also tons of black weebs. Culture does weird things.
Right. And Mexicans love Saint Seiya/Goku.

There's nothing inherently wrong about black weebs or Japanese cholos or whatever.
But it is honestly exasperating dealing with people that don't understand why this is a point of contention. I don't even get how being a troll about this would be enjoyable given the messy racial politics involved. It's just legitimately soul-draining.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Almost got you!

The X-Men movie is apparently being called "The Mutants" internally, but it seems like it may be a placeholder name.

That had better be a sequel to the New Mutants, or I'm going to be peeved.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edward Mass posted:

That had better be a sequel to the New Mutants, or I'm going to be peeved.

Spoiler: You're gonna peeved.

Maybe "Marvel's: The Phoenix Saga (2029)" will prove that third time is the charm?

The best thing Marvel could do with the new X-men series is cast all the people that fans were insisting on casting in the 90's before the first movies.

Neve Campbell as Rogue.

Danzig as Wolverine.

HHH as Sabretooth.

Julianne Moore as Jean Grey.

Christopher Plummer* as Magneto.

Will Smith as Ice Man.

Paul Simon as Beast.

Anthony Hopkins as Professor X.

Jim Carrey as Morph.

* (The Ghost of Christopher Plummer)

Edit: In 1999, Wired Magazine posted their best choices for casting in the upcoming X-men movie and they had some pretty wild choices.

quote:

COLOSSUS

Dean Cain
Lou Ferrigno
Brendan Fraser
Tony Ganios
Penn Gilette
Alexander Godunov
Matthias Hues

The world is worse off for not seeing a late 90's Penn Gilette as Colossus.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 21, 2021

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Paul Simon as Beast.

:dafuq:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bushisms.txt posted:

This is why I try not to post in cineD. You folks can find the smallest reference to the most esoteric art but racism is a nebulous phenomenon that can't quite be pinned down.

The only thing I know about Awkwafina is her role in CRA and I’m not suggesting that you aren’t right about her, but I don’t think Mickey Avalon or My Dick are that esoteric. It’s like 15 years old now, but My Dick was in a Harold and Kumar movie and a couple of TV episodes and Avalon had a song the Hangover soundtrack.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Garfunkle as Dark Beast from Age of Apocalypse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The only thing I know about Awkwafina is her role in CRA and I’m not suggesting that you aren’t right about her, but I don’t think Mickey Avalon or My Dick are that esoteric. It’s like 15 years old now, but My Dick was in a Harold and Kumar movie and a couple of TV episodes and Avalon had a song the Hangover soundtrack.

I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious here

People aren't objecting to her one song. They're objecting to her entire minstrel act. And the fact that it is, in fact, that. It is in fact her appropriating black culture when it is convenient for her and then dropping it, which extends beyond The One Song that keeps getting laser focused on.

That is the problem and I feel like some people are not quite grasping this

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Burkion posted:

I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious here

People aren't objecting to her one song. They're objecting to her entire minstrel act. And the fact that it is, in fact, that. It is in fact her appropriating black culture when it is convenient for her and then dropping it, which extends beyond The One Song that keeps getting laser focused on.

That is the problem and I feel like some people are not quite grasping this

Okay, but none of the examples of those things were posted, just the one song, and I don’t know poo poo about this person beyond seeing her in one movie and the two pages of this thread. If the goal is to convince people who are almost completely ignorant of who she is there are probably better examples.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't know that much about American culture so what exactly did she appropriate?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Okay, but none of the examples of those things were posted, just the one song, and I don’t know poo poo about this person beyond seeing her in one movie and the two pages of this thread. If the goal is to convince people who are almost completely ignorant of who she is there are probably better examples.

https://nextshark.com/awkwafina-appropriation-crazy-rich-asians/

Note, the persona she put on for her rapping and cinematic career prior to breaking through is entirely that. A persona. One she turns off when she's doing 'mainstream' stuff.

This isn't isolated to her one role in the movie, but to her entire career as a rapper. Its not her reality, as that is not how she acts 'normally.' That is the issue.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 21, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Burkion posted:

Note, the persona she put on for her rapping and cinematic career prior to breaking through is entirely that. A persona. One she turns off when she's doing 'mainstream' stuff.

This isn't isolated to her one role in the movie, but to her entire career as a rapper. Its not her reality, as that is not how she acts 'normally.' That is the issue.

Doesn't that apply to most musicians?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Necrothatcher posted:

Doesn't that apply to most musicians?
Most musicians don't put on a black accent when its convenient for their career.
https://www.femestella.com/awkwafina-blaccent-cultural-appropriation/

To quote her, herself

quote:

“I refuse to do accents. I’m not OK with someone writing the Asian experience for an Asian character. I make it very clear, I don’t ever go out for auditions where I feel like I’m making a minstrel out of our people.”

Yet, that is exactly what she has done.

Also, why would it make it better for her to do it just because other people do racist poo poo? That logic doesn't track friend. They shouldn't get away with it either.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 21, 2021

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Are Lonely Island cancelled as well or have I missed the news, it is tough to follow these days

Edit: In 1999, Wired Magazine posted their best choices for casting in the upcoming X-men movie and they had some pretty wild choices.

The world is worse off for not seeing a late 90's Penn Gilette as Colossus.

Real talk at this point Disney is running out of people who weren't yet cast in one Marvel property or another so getting a real star power X-Men roster would be a challenge

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

Are Lonely Island cancelled as well or have I missed the news, it is tough to follow these days

This is tedious as poo poo, knock it off.

They were even name dropped earlier in this thread as being parodies of dipshits like Awkafina. If racial discussion gets too nuanced for you, walk away and don't take up all the air.

Or were you waiting to drop a hot take on Tropic Thunder next

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That article isn't convincing, their main evidence of her "minstrel act" is people just talking about it on twitter and here's the one example they came up with:

Yeahhhhhh, nah.

The entire second half of the article is all people saying that the racist accusations are bullshit

Burkion posted:

Most musicians don't put on a black accent when its convenient for their career.
https://www.femestella.com/awkwafina-blaccent-cultural-appropriation/
I haven't actually seen Crazy Rich Asians so I pulled up a compilation of her scenes and I genuinely can't hear a black accent in her dialogue anywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5albVARGA
I also checked some of her other videos and it sounds super close to her normal talking voice to me

I'm not trolling here I'm genuinely trying to understand. It'd really help if you gave some specific examples of her appropriating black culture in her music or acting career, stuff like "she has a DJ persona" isn't anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also keep in mind that I'm an Australian and the minstrel acts we have here are in no way subtle so I may actually be struggling with nuance, you might actually have to take me by the hand and walk me through this with baby steps.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That article isn't convincing, their main evidence of her "minstrel act" is people just talking about it on twitter and here's the one example they came up with:

Yeahhhhhh, nah.

The entire second half of the article is all people saying that the racist accusations are bullshit

I haven't actually seen Crazy Rich Asians so I pulled up a compilation of her scenes and I genuinely can't hear a black accent in her dialogue anywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5albVARGA
I also checked some of her other videos and it sounds super close to her normal talking voice to me

I'm not trolling here I'm genuinely trying to understand. It'd really help if you gave some specific examples of her appropriating black culture in her music or acting career, stuff like "she has a DJ persona" isn't anything.

How is any of this a minstrel act? I don't get it either

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
So since we can't see each other's faces, how many people in this thread are black or part black and offended by Awkafina's minstrel act? And also, does dropping her black accent on a dime when it suits her mean that maybe she was forced to work with a vocal coach during pre production in one of her mainstream movie roles?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Outside of Awkwafina (who I have no strong feelings about either way) I am very excited for Shang-Chi and a wuxia movie set within the MCU.

Also I don’t know how the hell Marvel got Tony Leung to play The Mandarian but goddamn does this make the movie a must watch for me.

Simu Lu also seems cool, I liked him in Kim’s Convenience.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 21, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I remain confident that with the construction of either a large enough microscope or a small enough set of calipers, we will be able to perceive the fundamental racism particle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

poonchasta posted:

And also, does dropping her black accent on a dime when it suits her mean that maybe she was forced to work with a vocal coach during pre production in one of her mainstream movie roles?

The speaking voice she uses in Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean's 8 and The Farewell all sound pretty much the same as her usual speaking voice to me. If someone disagree then please point it out so I can see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y25RLo5nGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3X0DO5nr48

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:ughh:

What people are glossing over is, well, think of it like this. Imagine tomorrow you see Cardi B announce she's like in a prestige indie film or a DCU/Marvel/Star Wars character. And her Cardi B affectations are just gone from her media appearances going forward.

So this is the thing. Yes, she would not use the AAVE affectations in a movie if it were not warranted for the character. Yes, it's possible she has a vocal coach. Yes, it is the job of an actor to do the above.

The issue, the problem, is that her background in rap and her promotion of hip-hop and herself is basically a hat she can take on and off when it suits her. And with all the racial concerns in America, it's an extremely hosed up thing to appropriate these things as your personal truth and then discard them.

I think there's a fine line with "I make music with an exaggerated persona for fun" that gets kind of messy because of what it says when you use imagery and dress to communicate a culture.

Like, remember when Miley Cyrus was all about twerking and living her freedom and now she's, like, some kind of pseudo country-pop stay at home mom type?

So there's an interesting thing that happens at the end of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o23w8i0H-w

Margaret Cho breaks into her Korean Lady accent and Awkwafina drops the rap persona. As the bit wears on, she remarks on Cho's accent "I feel that the accent is unnecessary". Because Awkwafina's been very upfront about not adopting false Asian accents for her work.

But the video was her donning a false rap persona. So there's a very incongruous clash between the two going on.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Perhaps Dee is some kind of vampire hunter.