Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

I think, was that Butler gets in loving terrible shape in between films and mostly just drinks and gets laid, which lead to the idea that there must be some trickery going on.

Russell Crowe used to do the same thing. Between films he'd eat and drink a shitload and then get fit on the company dime. Honestly, that's the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do remember reading that the lead trainer from 300 was who trained Cavill in MoS, and that he'd quit the job if he found out Superman was using steroids.

The trainers have more to lose if they're caught juicing than the actors do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Russell Crowe used to do the same thing. Between films he'd eat and drink a shitload and then get fit on the company dime. Honestly, that's the dream.

You can see it getting a lot harder come "Cinderella Man" a movie literally no one remembers or should remember. But I remember his skin looking like it was clutching on to his body by its fingernails. Probably a product of losing weight really quickly. Should have just done more Master and Commander movies. He was fat in that and it was a good movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Nose posted:

Didn't they do painted or cgi abs on most of the cast of 300,?

Zack actually did a podcast with the trainer they used for MoS and 300
To quote the director, "we didn't have the budget to cgi muscles. it wasn't even possible back then to do that with CGI. Hell, it's not even possible now"

They did use makeup to cheat a little bit and enhance the effect, but they were all in great shape

They talk about the general mentality some actors have about working out and mention how Cavill wasn't just a genetic freak but also really drat dedicated to working out and pushing himself.

While it is possible Cavill used PEDs, what I think speaks against that is that while he's huge he's never really super lean and shredded. He also doesn't have the cannon boulder shoulders and insane lats that are a telltale sign of juicing

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400228543313825792?s=19

Seems pretty bad for Netflix to whiff on a series at this scale? But outside of this thread and other similar spaces I heard almost no one talking about this show so the only surprising aspect is how fast they pulled the plug.

I wonder how many more half assed concepts Millar can score a payday off of before the jig is up.

Very unsurprising because the only thing going for the comic was Frank Quitely's art while the show looks generic as gently caress even by low Netflix standards
The Boys have a very appealing story/tone pitch and stellar cast, Umbrella Academy nails the quirky tone of the comic, this one is just "you like superheroes, piggies? eat it and care a lot"

also eat poo poo mark

https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/737189733302931456
https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/715105226555060224

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 3, 2021

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

If people can spend $200 million on a single season of TV then surely there's money to spend on a ZSJL 2 as a tv miniseries that wraps up the story (and can be compiled into one or two more films).

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Very unsurprising because the only thing going for the comic was Frank Quitely's art while the show looks generic as gently caress even by low Netflix standards
The Boys have a very appealing story/tone pitch and stellar cast, Umbrella Academy nails the quirky tone of the comic, this one is just "you like superheroes, piggies? eat it and care a lot"

also eat poo poo mark

His suggestion to have Wonder Womans big traumatic equivalent event to Batman being broken and Superman dying was to have a 22 page issue of her being brutally raped.

Millar is scum and I hope he rots in hell

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

His suggestion to have Wonder Womans big traumatic equivalent event to Batman being broken and Superman dying was to have a 22 page issue of her being brutally raped.

That seems to be his answer for everything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fatherboxx posted:

also eat poo poo mark

So in response he made JR; something barely anyone paid attention to, cost way too much and scarred the few people actually involved. He made his generation's Falkland Islands.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

McCloud posted:

Yeah, like I enjoyed the Wanted movie well enough and checked out the comic... and the main character you're supposed to root for is a super-powered rapist murderer?
Uh... way different story there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jupiters Legacy was the biggest loving slog to get through and the constant flashbacks to how they got their powers was loving ANNOYING. Just do it in one episode. We KNOW they're super. You didn't need to stretch it out. The entire plot grinds to a loving halt for the latter half. Then they dangle a bunch of plots but keep bouncing to them going on a Indiana Jones trip to a mystery island.

Complete waste of time.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 3, 2021

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
The biggest issue with the show was that nothing really interesting happens. The flashbacks don't really accomplish anything. Getting their powers wasn't an interesting plot line that required an entire season.

The current timeline has nothing happen the entire season and the season finale is just a teaser for what they thought was future seasons.

The whole season could have been like 2 episodes. But the they stretched it into a huge slog.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, like I enjoyed the Wanted movie well enough and checked out the comic... and the main character you're supposed to root for is a super-powered rapist murderer?
Uh... way different story there.

I really liked Kingsman and wondered if I should check out the comic it was based on. I'm kind of glad I never did at this point...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

I really liked Kingsman and wondered if I should check out the comic it was based on. I'm kind of glad I never did at this point...

Mark Millar is the exception that proves the rule, "the book is always better."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hoop Dreams posted:

The biggest issue with the show was that nothing really interesting happens. The flashbacks don't really accomplish anything. Getting their powers wasn't an interesting plot line that required an entire season.

The current timeline has nothing happen the entire season and the season finale is just a teaser for what they thought was future seasons.

The whole season could have been like 2 episodes. But the they stretched it into a huge slog.

This is legitimately hilarious and stupid because the entire hook of the Jupiter's Legacy comic is that they rush past all that boring setup and the series basically starts with the heroes old and their kids as adults hosed up by their life in the spotlight, and by the end of issue 3 there has already been a coup leaving the Utopian and his wife dead. It sounds like they intentionally hosed up the only remotely interesting aspect of the comic so they could draw poo poo out and milk it because they thought people would just eat up any super hero poo poo at all.

And yeah ditto'ing the fact that even my friends who are super hero obsessed and see every cape thing in theaters and are caught up on almost any media featuring super heroes haven't said the remotest peep about this show. Good riddance and hopefully this fucks up Millar's stock and he fucks off somewhere where he can't bother people.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Whereas Invincible moved the Omniman reveal to the end of the first episode, when that takes like 7 issues in the comic to get to. Invincible was a massive hit and has been renewed for multiple seasons and JL got cancelled after one. Makes you think.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Imagine if Game of Thrones didn't kill Ned Stark until Season 3. Woof.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Invincible was also a cheap cartoon and not a 200 million dollar bloated monstrosity

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Collapsing Farts posted:

Invincible was also a cheap cartoon and not a 200 million dollar bloated monstrosity

I think there was more money behind the show than you might think, the amount of major hollywood talent doing voice work on it is insane (even if the animation itself is nothing special).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 3, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Imagine if Game of Thrones didn't kill Ned Stark until Season 3. Woof.

I will always love that I knew exactly what was going to happen in the first season based on the casting and nothing else :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Game of Thrones is such an interesting narrative because every person I know who watched and enjoyed it went the same way:

1) "Wow, they killed him! Just like that! I didn't expect that!"
2) "Nobody is safe. This isn't like most shows! Anybody can go at any time! They zig when they should zag! What will happen next?"
3) "They zigged when they should have zagged with that plot development. I didn't expect that and I didn't like where they went with it."
4) "This really isn't like most shows. I'm not getting my dramatic payoffs and when they killed <X> I lost a lot of interest. They were my favorite character."
5) "Well, that sucked."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

To be fair that’s how the books go too, that’s why the shithead will never finish them cause he knows it’ll blow huge chunks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Invalid Validation posted:

To be fair that’s how the books go too, that’s why the shithead will never finish them cause he knows it’ll blow huge chunks.

Not quite as badly as the show, though. AT least with the books I appreciated the bit of fleshing out that, say the gouty king of Fantasy Spain got, whereas the show introduces him, has him in two episodes and then kills him. And don't get me started on Barbarian Cesar.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Jupiter's Legacy costing that much is absurd. The cast isnt that famous (their best guy is the dumbass from transformers?) and the production design is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. It looks cheap as gently caress and the super power moments are NOT good enough. was this like a scam? Did the producers embezzle money and hoped Netflix wouldn't notice? I can't think of enough VFX shots to get it to that budget.

It cost more than the mandalorian per episode!! And Mandalorian looks like a mini-star wars movie every time!!

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Netflix doesn't care about throwing a bunch of money on poo poo because they make 25 billion in revenue a year. They just want content. Sometimes it's poo poo, sometimes it's good. As long as they keep pumping content, subscribers will stay. That's all that matters in the end.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jupiter's Legacy feels like nobody involved with it honestly gave a poo poo. Nobody had any passion for the material, nobody felt any connection to it. Netflix was throwing money around and some career Hollywood people were there to catch it, that's all it was.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Game of Thrones is such an interesting narrative because every person I know who watched and enjoyed it went the same way:

2) "Nobody is safe. This isn't like most shows! Anybody can go at any time! They zig when they should zag! What will happen next?"
3) "They zigged when they should have zagged with that plot development. I didn't expect that and I didn't like where they went with it."
4) "This really isn't like most shows. I'm not getting my dramatic payoffs and when they killed <X> I lost a lot of interest. They were my favorite character."
5) "Well, that sucked."

I enjoyed it because of how dumb and hacky it was in general but after a while it got TOO dumb and just became boring

That stretch around the mid point where everyone just kept making Dark Souls jokes was pretty good though :v:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jerkface posted:

It cost more than the mandalorian per episode!! And Mandalorian looks like a mini-star wars movie every time!!

Say what you will about Favreau, he knows how to make the most out of his budget. It also helps that ~90% of Mandalorian cast was stunt people, nobodies, or extras and they filmed almost all of it on green screen sets - at least in season 1.

Jupiter's Legacy feels like nobody involved with it honestly gave a poo poo. Nobody had any passion for the material, nobody felt any connection to it. Netflix was throwing money around and some career Hollywood people were there to catch it, that's all it was.

Yeah it's just a project that shuffled money around and gave people something to do. I never got the sense that anyone cared about the quality or the story.

Even if they had ended episode 1 with the super family murder betrayal thing I feel like audiences wouldn't care. It's been done too many times at this point by much better shows.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Is it explained at all why the gently caress these superheroes are Christians in Jupiters Legacy lol

I was legitimately confused when they said grace before dinner in the first episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

5) "Well, that sucked."
I think the bigger issue for me with GoT is that it just felt like it was dragging its feet at one point. Like there were a bunch of plot lines where people questioned if it was really going anywhere. I think there was kind of a high towards the end because you actually saw the pieces falling together... but it was just kind of reaffirmed that the stuff you had been questioning indeed was all a bit pointless while still being somewhat rushed.

It's also on top of the big twist being something that could have been interesting but because that also had cut out plot elements that probably were important for it to make sense it just bordered on offensive.

quote:

Say what you will about Favreau, he knows how to make the most out of his budget. It also helps that ~90% of Mandalorian cast was stunt people, nobodies, or extras and they filmed almost all of it on green screen sets - at least in season 1.
There's still some green screening, but they actually use virtual sets. The actors can actually see the backdrops in real time.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 3, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
One thing that was funny about JL is that the show offers a glimpse of a much better premise, which is the "here is a bunch of corpses from old timey civilizations that made their way to weirdo island and perished" and yea I'd much rather see the drama that leads to 7 roman legionnaires deciding to kill each other or 7 mongolian hordespeople or 7 conquistadors

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is it explained at all why the gently caress these superheroes are Christians in Jupiters Legacy lol
In the comic it's basically 1940s humans that find the island, so all their morals and trappings are very Fleisher-Superman-era poo poo

It's why the conflict between the two brothers boils over as one of them is basically Big Protector Daddy nurturing people towards a better tomorrow and the other is We Should Make Things Better through Superscience

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I enjoyed it because of how dumb and hacky it was in general but after a while it got TOO dumb and just became boring

That stretch around the mid point where everyone just kept making Dark Souls jokes was pretty good though :v:

It gets too dumb right when they leave the books. The books are all about "realism" where people take months to travel from one place to another and people rationally die where they should. The second the show leaves the books, people teleport instantly to what took a week to journey to, ravens and dragons teleport all over the place, the smartest characters are all of a sudden giant idiots, everything gets really contrived, etc. The showrunners are just not good, and it's why they got kicked off of Star Wars, too.

I had read 4 chapters of the first book and quit years before the show came out, saw the casting in the show and figured out what would happen as well, haha.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Not quite as badly as the show, though. AT least with the books I appreciated the bit of fleshing out that, say the gouty king of Fantasy Spain got, whereas the show introduces him, has him in two episodes and then kills him. And don't get me started on Barbarian Cesar.

To be fair to GRRM all the book deaths/swerves are carefully laid out, he all but tells you what's coming while sprinkling in just enough "outs" that your media savvy kicks in like "nah they won't kill the current main character again" so that the moments hit super hard.

But yeah the books start dragging hard after 3 while GRRM spins his wheels trying to actually formulate a satisfying climax (which he still is nowhere near 20 years after the last "good" book), and the show writers had to start writing their own stuff while taking the exact wrong lessons from previous shocking deaths (i.e. "deaths are better when they just happen at random to important characters!") and it got exponentially shittier by the season.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Someone on these boards said this and I was like, holy poo poo - you're right.

GoT went from being this insane pop culture behemoth that was EVERYWHERE to utterly despised in less than a year. It's unprecedented. No one really cares about it anymore aside from knowing it turned to utter poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Vintersorg posted:

Someone on these boards said this and I was like, holy poo poo - you're right.

GoT went from being this insane pop culture behemoth that was EVERYWHERE to utterly despised in less than a year. It's unprecedented. No one really cares about it anymore aside from knowing it turned to utter poo poo.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You mean the #1 highest grossing movie of all time, Avatar?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Also Lost.
Maybe Battlestar Galactica, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Who utterly despises Avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Speaking of Invincible, I'm down to episode 3.