Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Klungar posted:

It shouldn't be surprising, it was a good show.

There's just enough about SHIELD that I like to keep me going but I'm never really excited about it, you know?

WandaVision, however, has it's hooks in me deep and I'm pumped for it. I just hope they have enough sense to end it naturally instead of milking it forever. You can't do that concept forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The twist/reveal made my wife actually scream and she's a pretty chill person.

I'm very happy it happened because it means they are going to get even weirder.

Edit: In WandaVision. The gently caress is wrong with me.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 8, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've recently rewatched Buffy with the knowledge that Dawn and Xander end up together. The way he's posessive and controlling of her makes my skin crawl.

I would just like to say that Joss is a loving psycho and a probable sex pest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She's ridiculously wealthy, has a social life with the elite to match it, has all kinds of implicit personality disorders on top of an incredibly bizarre physical appearance and yet is considered attractive and even charismatic, Bruce Wayne has absolutely met her in either or both identities.

...Alfred is definitely the one they'd have the chemistry with. And who would find a surprising kinship with Martin.

It's it simply that she's VERY thin? There's gotta be a Skeleton Jack type in the rogue's gallery.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Venom can be such a fun character that bridges goofball and horrific monster. The movie wasn't super good or anything but Tom Hardy did an admirable job getting weird with it.

Spidey and Venom teaming up against Carnage would be a lot of fun if they keep the visual noise well under control.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really late to the party but I finally saw The New Mutants and it was fine?
Maybe I'm too online but I was expecting it to be unwatchable dross but I think it was perfectly okay.

The reveal of the bear was extremely cool, at least.

What I want, and will not get, is a Marvel movie with some real teeth. I'm extremely tired of this neoliberal bullshit that gets only as progressive as "Nazis are bad, mostly."

MCU X-Men, if it comes out to be just a silly romp, will likely finally kill my interest in the MCU.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fishylungs posted:

And then that's the only thing 95% of women do in the show, die horribly. The other 5% were villains or the sheriffs.

I don't think this is true. I've seen through the show a couple times and the running theme is that everyone in the Winchester's orbit get killed. In fact, if wager that the majority of their human support are women that tend to stick around the longest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I met Joshua Jackson once and he was very nice and chill in a somewhat stressful environment.

Between that and how much I like Fringe, I'll watch anything with him in it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don;t follow Pete Holmes' career so I only recently came across these and thought they were great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb2CqElR8KE

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdlvexsfRAw

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't like mind control movies, generally speaking, but Starro is so loving weird that I'm wholly on board.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hope the Suicide Squad credits teaser is a crossover with The Banana Splits.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah they throw in bits of Chinese in a way that a Mexican-American might speak Spanglish, except that it's incredibly forced.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also generally the fatalities from a grenade are from the shrrapnel not the explosion itself, and shockingly if a human body covers the grenade most of the shrapnel ends inside the body.

Yeah and the kill range for a regular grenade is surprisingly small. An average human body surrounding one would save everyone else, almost guaranteed. They don't even have the wave of internal organ liquification that you get from HE, so one person is gonna absorb all of that. Hell, put a decent amount of material between you and the grenade (like a backpack) and you could probably live through it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

While it is very hard for Asian actors to make it in Hollywood, I wish she didn't co-opt black culture to get there.

As soon as she got mainstream success, she dropped the hip-hop persona.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bautista is such a cool dude, goddamn.

I'll never forget that the moment he had a chance to get in to real acting, he took it very seriously and committed himself.

Unlike his wrestling counterparts that coasted on a bunch of D-grade military movies, Dave seems like he genuinely appreciates the craft.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm glad the US Agent bit is bearing some fruit.

Captain America represents America's potential.
US Agent represents America's actions.

Cap has always been a funny character to me (along with golden age Superman) because when they were at their most morally just, it was during some of the worst periods in America for everyone but straight white dudes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I'm wholly on board with more Tom Hardy Venom and VERY on board with Carnage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think Last Samurai really falls into the white savior category since, as mentioned, he accomplishes nothing and his main role is as a viewpoint character for the western audience. It still has big problems, notable the implication that this story is only interesting if a white guy is jammed in the middle of it, but it’s mostly a movie about the death of a traditional culture as the gears of the industrial modernization grind it to dust.

I like The Last Samurai more than most, I'd wager, and I think you're right. A big issue I had was near the end they give him the armor of the woman's dead husband instead of sending him out in whatever scrap iron they had lying around. He didn't earn the level of respect he got by the end. Sure, he was with them for about a year (I think) and tried his best to fit in and learn but to give him something like that is bananas.

It's really appreciated that he didn't wake up in that village and try to tell them how to be more "civilized" or whatever. The character does the work to be respectful for the most part. Give that script a minor tweak and he could have been a reeeeeeal shithead.

That being said, the character didn't need to exist. Give Ken Watanabe the screen time and focus on the heartbreak of him knowing his culture is going to be destroyed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

porfiria posted:

The Last Samurai looks great, but the samurai are the bad guys in that movie.

Try again with your brain on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

10 Beers posted:

Algren did warn Katsumoto of the assassins, fought beside him, and saved the life of his nephew during the fight. Then also rescued Katsumoto from execution when he got placed under house arrest. I figure that probably went a long way. I mean, they made him a sword, might as well give him the armor as well.

No, I don't re-watch it a couple times a year, what do you mean?

Ah, you're right. I haven't seen it in five years so my memory was kinda bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

josh04 posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It was fun to write something where I wasn't mulling over the importance of every sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHAE1AZugY

Gotta admit it, Idris Elba runs where Will Smith could only walk. I'm not joining your... SUICIDE SQUAD.

What is this, some kinda squad what does a suicide??

I'm pretty happy with the trailers so far. Maybe not day-one but I'll see it in theaters (provided they're open)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As far as we know, the conditions of her birth is the only crime.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I think the safer interpretation is that the sacred timeline is more of a guideline than anything else. There are multiple timelines/universes all following the same general beats. The Avengers win in the end. Loki loses in the end.

Yeah, it's this.
There are theoretically infinite alternate timelines going on simultaneously, which is why the sacred timeline is visualized as a rope of lines and not a single thread, and that variants can crop up at any point. Diverge too hard and get pruned but there is some flex. That's why their chart readouts are presented that way; there's an acceptable threshold because otherwise they'd have to go prune every timeline where Tony drinks espresso instead of the ordained cappuccino.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I know for a fact I've seen Dark Phoenix but I have zero memory of it, despite having a very good memory for movies in general.

Researched DOFP with the Rogue cut recently and I still hold that it's one of the best X-Men movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chairman Capone posted:

Definitely agree. I liked the regular DOFP but I think the Rogue Cut really does go above.

I never saw the "X-Men 1.5" DVD cut that came out just before X2 - is that worth checking out? What exactly does it change from the original?

The only thing I remember was a small scene with Jubilee (in the same class when Bobby makes the ice rose.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Timeless Appeal posted:

So the Loki finale reveals that Kang the Conquerer is their new Thanos ongoing villain.

We pretty much knew he was going to be the antagonist for Guardians 3, so I'm not surprised.

I didn't really like that last episode. They kept saying essentially the same thing over and over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think I like the TV shows more than the movies at this point because they are much weirder.
Sure Cap/Winter got hampered but some unfortunate rewrites because of COVID but I like the actor that plays Sam more as time goes on and Bucky is a lot of fun.

That being said, Disney has very little interest in using their platform to take a firm stance on anything. You get little nuggets here and there (like the cop scene in Cap/Winter) but hardly anything is cemented and has a material change on the world.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

STAC Goat posted:

Do you mean the real world or the MCU world? Because like Loki just introduced the next major villain and started the multivers.

I do think we're gonna get some fairly weird movies soon with Raimi's Strange, Spidey 3, and Thor 4.

I don't have a solid thought on the subject, to be honest.
MCU just feels very sanitized to me and that there are no meaningful actions and consequences that carry between films. Aside from the tentpole stuff like The Snap, nothing seems to change in a big way.

Civil War could have really fractured things but it just made Cap and Tony mad at eachother until it was time to fight a big bad. They didn't have a meaningful reconciliation, right?

I'm not an expert on these movies but they lack impact and are devoid of any sexuality.

That being said, I still watch them all because not everything needs to be dense and meaningful. They just spend so much money and time on the things, I expect more.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bushisms.txt posted:

As cool as would be if she's Storm , I'm Not excited for the marvel cinematic equivalent of all the black folks know or are related to each other

They could pretty easily tie Storm's new origin. She was born in Africa and stayed there for a long while helping folks out.

Shuri could get word of a massive electrical disturbance and find Storm fighting a whatever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just need The Batman to come out and do just good enough that they finally make a Batman Beyond movie.

Come on DC. It's one of your best properties!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Venom 2 was a delight. Tom Hardy really dialed in the weirdness in a fun way and Woody Harrellson was pretty drat perfect as Cletus.

It's also only about 90 minutes, which I appreciate.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I adore Holland as Peter but I'd be super happy if he died in this next movie or retired the mantle.

While of course I want to see a live action Miles Morales, Spiderverse was perfect and wouldn't want to dilute that character.

My bet on the next phase is
Morbius will introduce the new Blade since the trailer doesn't really set up who his foil will be. Spider-Man is already a thing in the trailer and Blade was originally a Spider-Man villain, of sorts.

New Blade and Venom will feature in the Spider-Man after No Way Home where they both fight Peter over a misunderstanding.
I mostly want Venom and Spider-Man to try to be pals.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Sweet,he was too good to just use once,hopefully they’ll give him some good stuff to work with (and this deffo means vincent donofrio’s in)

Fingers crossed it’ll be at least semi violent like deadpool.

Hawkeye
I'm almost certain that the "uncle" from the last episode was Vincent Donofrio. They allude to him being a big, big name in organized crime and the one line sounded like him (though he was off camera)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spread Disease, Get The Knees (I kick you to death like Captain Falcon)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Really liked Spider-Man.
My gripes are I wish Sandman got the redemption he deserved. It seemed like he was gonna be on Peter's side because he knew how bad things could turn out.

Garfield saving MJ made me tear up a bit. He really deserved that.

I also loved that they kept the original design of the suits. The black web ribs on Toby's, Andrew's realistic cloth and all that. Just love it.

Very curious to see where Holland takes it. I think he's done a marvelous job so far. He's hit the emotional punches quite well. I'm also happy that he's no longer Iron Man Jr. and made his own basic suit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shang-Chi and Hawkeye are both quite good.

I don't like Jeremy Renner but dang, they are delivering.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's also probably setting up the Armor Wars series that's happening. There are also a lot of rumors if the Avengers Tower is going to become the Baxter Building or if Kingpin is going to have bought it

Really, really happy that
both Daredevil and Kingpin, including their original actors (aside from the Affleck movie) are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm amazed that even though the scope in NWH was multiverse, the threat was still street level.

The world wasn't going to end if they failed and I really appreciate that.