Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What it needs to be is more like Beef House.

I love that the premise of Beef House was them thinking "what if someone made a sitcom that had jokes in it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

There was somebody on this forum who something to the effect of "Blade is if a 70s movie crashed headfirst into a 90s movie, skipping the 80s" which I think is about right.

Haha, I was going to post this exact thing. I think that comment was from like 2015 and it's stuck with me since, glad to see I'm not alone in that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Avengers (Re-)Assemble (Iron Man)

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Facebook has moderators and their jobs are hellish PTSD generating nightmares.

Doesn't Facebook have moderators only in the most technical sense, ie like two moderators to cover every post from the African continent?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

A couple of the Netflix shows had a good season or two.

I really liked Jessica Jones season 1, never watched more because I felt that anything beyond that would cheapen the season.

I also thought that Daredevil season 1 was pretty good but not as great as everyone says, season 2 was a dip but still had some pretty good parts, but not enough for me to come back for season 3.

First half of Luke Cage s1 was also really fun, but never finished after a certain point.

In all cases, the shows would have benefited a lot by not having any of the even tangential references to the MCU they had.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Firstborn posted:

I was shocked to learn that the Blade reboot didn't even have a loving writer until this week? I thought for sure the production was a little further along... maybe not filming but at least a script.

Indiana Jones 5 is supposed to start shooting this spring and still doesn't have a writer attached.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really loved the first two seasons of Sherlock when they aired but trying to watch them again a while back, I realized that only the first episode of each season were any good, and even the S2 opener has some bad bits. Particularly Moriarty, whose portrayal was grating even at the time and has only gotten worse.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've never heard of that Jar Jar story. I also don't think Disney really "reigned" in Abrams (or Johnson either) all that much, if at all. Sure, Abrams cut a lot of stuff from TROS (and TFA, which tends to be forgotten) but by every indication that seemed to be his own decision. The same with the plot developments and characters, by every indication Abrams and Johnson were given pretty wide margins to do what they wanted to do.

Ironically Lucasfilm seems like they were a lot more involved with micromanaging the spinoff movies than they were the sequel trilogy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

People thought having the CIA as the good guys in Black Panther was awkward but letting Coates inject his politics into a Superman movie would likely put that to shame by comparison.

Wasn't the Black Panther movie specifically based on Coates' run of the comic?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Only thing that stopped Star Wars was Covid.

Disney was ready to have a new movie roll out this year or next I believe but it got delayed.

Like, remember, just because people have lashed out at them doesn't mean Disney cares even a slightest bit. Each of the main three have all made a billion+ dollars.

No, Disney announced they were taking time off from the movies even covid, although even before TROS came out. Solo was really the turning point, but I also think the relative responses to TROS and The Mandalorian solidified their decision to hold off from movies in favor of the fifty or so new streaming shows they've announced since.

Also worth noting is while TROS did not underperform, it achieved the absolute lowest end of what its predicted range, and not only did far worse than Force Awakens and Last Jedi, it also barely surpassed Rogue One. And obviously to studios, even if you make a profit, if you don't make enough of a profit as they think you should make, that's a failure.

I will say the weirdest box office thing I've seen in Star Wars fandom are the people who claim that Solo actually wasn't a giant flop and that it really was a true revenue hit. Real brand defenders.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

That might be how you remember it, but that's not what they actually said

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471403/disney-just-dropped-a-bunch-of-surprise-star-wars-dates

We were supposed to get a new movie next year. Its been delayed to 2023 purely due to covid

Yes, the article says that the plan was to go from five years of having a Star Wars movie every year to taking three years off (a "breather") before shifting to an every-other-year format ("a more reserved approach"). In other words, that even before covid (or TROS/Mandalorian) the decision had been made to take time off from Star Wars movies before releasing half as many movies per year going forward.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know this is only in relation to extremely online people, but I feel like the reaction against Marvel fans going googly-eyed over that line is the first time I've seen major pushback to this kind of ridiculously over the top MCU worship.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

MCU fans going apeshit over it is not really surprising, but you'd think they would've turned the trick by now - it's no different than a lot of the humor in the Ant-Man movies working because Paul Rudd is doing his thing, not because it's high comedy.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are plenty of MCU fans who think Ant-Man is a stunningly crafted piece of high comedy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

It's kind of like adult Harry Potter freaks, where their entire conception of literature and storytelling is based on a children's book series written by a bigot.

Please, just watch a different movie/read a different book.

With the Potter Heads it's not only that, they only seem to be able to understand politics by quoting Dumbledore or reducing political ideologies to Wizard Houses.

Again, this is a product of being very online (although I actually don't think I met any supporters of hers in the real world, so...) but I feel like every Elizabeth Warren supporter for some reason was super into Harry Potter.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking on WandaVision again, it's funny to see so many Marvel fans now defending it for being so "revolutionary" and amazing, because the only parts of it that are actually unique to any degree were the sitcom parodies, and only a few weeks ago when the show started the very same MCU fans were all talking about how bad that was and they hated them and were only saved from bailing on the show by the rapid injection of standard MCU bullshit. So even the show they're praising for being so revolutionary and outside the MCU box... those are the precise parts they hated when they aired!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Writer: Mark Millar

I don't know, I feel like Millar actually is a good example of a guy who writes terrible comics which can then be selectively mined for elements to turn into good movies, at least depending on the people making them. Kingsman, Logan, Kick-rear end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Black Panther is the plot of the Congo Crisis and assassination of Patrice Lumumba. Where Lumumba is the villain.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some new ad for Falcon and the Winter Soldier had Sebastian Stan describing it as being like an 80's buddy comedy. So I'm assuming in a few weeks we're going to be getting a lot of people saying stuff like "An action series that is also comedic, and where the white guy is the sidekick to the black character? Marvel has done the unimaginable yet again!"

Speaking of Sebastian Stan, I remember there was that brief period in the late 00s/early 10s where he was in Black Swan, Hot Tub Time Machine, the first season of Once Upon a Time, the criminally underrated Kings, Political Animals... it seemed like he was posed to take off and be a major star in his own right. And then he got sucked into Marvel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The cast of Kings was extremely solid. Ian McShane was the cherry on top.

You'd think they would have promoted more that it was based on the Bible but I guess they thought it would drive off everyone who wasn't a fundie and then get the fundies mad at them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

IIRC, the network was really gunshy about it being a biblical retelling because they thought it'd piss off Christians. Then when it failed to grow viewers due to poor marketing, they put it in a death timeslot instead. The family dynamics between Ian McShane, Sebastian Stan, and Susanna Thompson were fantastic though. I wish someone could make a wrap-up movie at least, but there was no real support for it.

I remember this was also around the time that Jericho had gotten a 2nd season because of the Nuts campaign, but instead of fans of other canceled shows doing the exact same thing because peanuts were bulky and cheap, they tried to make campaigns using show-related things instead and it never really worked again. There was a weak effort for Journeyman and an even weaker one for Kings. People should've just sent more peanuts. The line in Jericho wasn't even about peanuts, it was about refusing to surrender.

You mean there was a group of fans mobilizing to support a canceled show by mildly irritating a faceless corporation ? Sounds like some serious entitled toxic fan fascism to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roth posted:

Oh my God Falcon and Winter Soldier opens with Falcon killing terrorists in Libya.

A bit too late to come out in support of Neera Tanden's nomination, Disney!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks to Justice League, I finally decided to watch Aquaman, and... I actually kind of liked it. It didn't fully work for me as a goofy movie but there was enough of a mix of good visuals, a few truly creepy bits (like when they're attacked by the Lovecraftian monsters and have to surround themselves with the flare), and genuinely nutty things (Julie Andrews playing Cthulhu who lives in the Hollow Earth, the octopus playing the drums) that it really carried it for me. Plus Momoa is a very charming actor even when he's burdened with some clunker lines, and I really enjoyed his chemistry with Temuera Morrison. If back in 2013 someone told me my favorite scene of a Man of Steel follow-up would be Khal Drogo and Jango Fett drinking at a bar I wouldn't believe it, but here we are.

That being said, even in their brief appearances, the difference between Amber Heard and Willem Defoe in ZSJL and Aquaman are night and day. Heard especially, but Defoe having his hair down makes so much of a difference.

I also saw the first episode of Momoa's show See and that is also ridiculous, but in a way that I still might watch the rest of. There's just enough interesting worldbuilding there to keep me interested in at least a second episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was watching Empire Strikes Back the other day and it was pretty good but they play the same drat music every time Darth Vader shows up. It loving sucked, it was so distracting to hear the exact same music every time Vader did anything. I mean, in the Battle of Hoth alone they must have played his music at least three or four times.

loving hack John Williams. Don't even get me started on how he uses the same music every time the shark shows up in Jaws!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

roffels posted:

I don't follow the MCU stuff, does Falcon & Winter Soldier get the same ire on these forums for running with a 2.35:1 ratio on a streaming platform?

No, it's Marvel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was going to say that it's ironic given that Ron Livingston is also in The Morning Show... then I realized I was confusing him with Mark Duplass.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good news, everyone: according to the AV Club, the new Falcon and Winter Soldier episode is the triumphant return of quippy banter to the MCU.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's a scene where Bucky watches Battlestar Galactica? I might have to check that out, at least.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davidson also had a whole routine about how cancel culture is bad and college students are too sensitive for real comedy. This included him defending R. Kelly and saying people only turned on Harvey Weinstein because he was fat.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Everyone posted:

Marvel/Disney's still open for business and they're fine with women/PoC people.

This is sad, man.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Genuinely from what has been said by people involved in the show since it finished, Buffy is good in spite of Whedon, not because of him.

It had a strong writers' room for sure, with it being the first show for a lot of writers who went on to do bigger things (Jane Espenson, Drew Goddard, Steven DeKnight).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hahaha. That is pretty good.

I never really enjoyed the main Crossed (a friend got me the original miniseries, and I never read anything more in the main series) but I did like the future sequel that Alan Moore (of all people) did.

I have to say, I don't really follow either of their personal lives that closely, but my sense has always been that Ennis is much more of a decent person than Millar is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Last night I learned about an extended cut of the 2005 Fantastic Four movie. It has a very brief cameo from Hugh Jackman. I can not believe they cut that and feel like keeping it in the theatrical version could potentially led to an earlier cinematic universe with Marvel characters existing. Does anyone know the story of why they cut that?

If anyone is wondering, the extended cut is 20 minutes longer. It slightly improves the movie but not enough for me to call it a good movie.

Looking this up, I also learned that he was supposed to appear in the first Spider-Man movie and even showed up on set to film it, but they couldn't find the outfit. Which seems a bit of an odd mistake to make.

Also reminds me how in the first Iron Man, one of the alternate Nick Fury scenes considered would be him referencing Blade, Spider-Man, and the X-Men.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Disgusting toxic fan cult behavior. When will Kevin Feige denounce the vile actions of this organized harasser group?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finally, a movie brave enough to say what we're all thinking: we need to reunite to defeat the Deviants.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

It's very strange to me to paint the opinion "monarchies are bad" as pearl-clutching.

Bridgerton and Meghan Markle showed us that monarchies are good as long as they have Black people in them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Lol.

Is there an action movie outside of Blade that was a) widely popular, b) didnt have noxious conservative politics, and c) minorities as villains or dickless assistants or best friends high fiving the real white hero...like ever?

Honestly want to know because I'd like to show my future kids that kind of poo poo.

Big Trouble in Little China?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There were also alt-righters who at least initially also praised Black Panther because Wakanda was an isolationist ethnostate and it let them say that they were fine with the concept if it meant the US could then kick non-whites out as well. But I think those kind of statements faded pretty quickly as the movie became subsumed into the regular cultural war.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I wouldn't really call him that. His brain is melting, he has distinctive speech patterns and he never seems that far from challenging someone to a push up contest.

So Reagan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Moriarty is an Irish name, so I could see a re-imagining of him as an Irish nationalist. But then again the Irish were also over-represented in Britain's imperial military. Moriarty's number two is also Sebastian Moran, who is definitely an arch-imperialist adventurer (with another Irish last name). But then again Watson himself is also a veteran of Britain's imperial wars in Asia.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Frank Miller's actual 300 sequel comic includes Alexander the Great in the final issue. It's also surprisingly not bad, especially by the standards of post-9/11 Frank Miller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the first compendium of Walking Dead was pretty good, the one that collected the first 48 issues ending with the prison being destroyed and Carl and Rick escaping alone. The comic should have ended there, not only was it a satisfying ending but I kept reading for a dozen or so more issues and it devolved into wheel-spinning almost immediately. Especially for something coming out in the early/mid 00s, I thought it was one of the more interesting pieces of zombie fiction. It's funny, I remember at the time people absolutely hating the prison storyline, but I thought having a base where the characters could actually work to rebuild civilization (if on a small scale) was something pretty unique for zombies at the time.

I never got that far into either the show or the comic, but my parents still watch the show every week so I have a general gist of it, and I do think that the Whisperers are a pretty interesting zombie concept also, maybe the one good innovation in the genre that Walking Dead developed post-prison.

It is kind of suitable that Walking Dead came out at the start of the zombie renaissance, arguably became its most popular piece of work, lingered on as the genre kind of died, and is now going to end just as it seems the zombie genre is perhaps getting resurrected.