Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Matt Damon cast in unknown role for Thor: Blood and Thunder.

Christian Bale is the villain, so not sure who this could be.

Also, they confirmed that Chris Pratt will be Thor's "partner" and that the next few movies are all going to feature small partnerings (like Spiderman and Doctor Strange in Spiderman 4).

https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-matt-damon-marvel-cast-character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

teagone posted:

Same role he had in Ragnarok probably.

It's apparently an actual role and not a cameo. Which means the MCU continuity is ruined now.

Also, for Wandavision:

There are actually a few subtle spoilers/hints in the first two episodes.

A magazine Wanda reads mentions Mephisto in a subheader, there is a small hole in the paneling of the house that has a different wall behind it, the watch commercial is for a "Strucker" brand watch, SWORD logos and papers with faded messages, Kathryn Hahn's character is named Agnes and wears a broach that is exactly the same as the one worn by AGatha HarkNES in the comics, when someone says "the devil is in the details" Agnes mutters “That’s not the only place he is," there's dozens of tiny SWORD symbols on things, the voice on the radio is Randall Park from the Ant-man movies, and the department store in the town is named "Wentworth’s"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought it was confirmed that Bale would be playing Gorr the Butcher.

edit: https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/christian-bale-joins-thor-love-thunder-gorr-god-butcher

Yeah, he is playing Gorr the God Butcher and he is the villain of the movie. I'm saying that it's not clear who Matt Damon is playing, since it is an actual role and the villain is cast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Somewhat unrelated, by why do so many people pick Twitter as their medium of choice to post 500+ word posts? Can't you link to a blog/webpage with the info? Clicking through a tweet and 14 replies is obnoxious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

WandaVision, however, has it's hooks in me deep and I'm pumped for it. I just hope they have enough sense to end it naturally instead of milking it forever. You can't do that concept forever.

It's over halfway done already. There's only 9 episodes.

I have to admit the genre parody is pretty fun, but the slow burn on revealing the mystery was starting to drag on me.

The ending of the most recent episode and "They recast Pietro?!?" legitimately surprised me and was pretty funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

The big battle scene with the animals looks very "CGI-y" and shiny.

Everything else looks good to great.

It's crazy to me that Awkwafina got famous via a viral Youtube video rapping about how much better her vagina is than other vaginas and has released one album, but been in nearly half a dozen $300+ million movies since.

Somehow, getting famous for rapping ended her rap career and exploded her acting career into one that many major actors would be jealous of, despite the fact that she never acted prior.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

A certain set of people being jazzed about Ben Kingsley playing the Mandarin and then losing their minds about the reveal was unironically the best comedy from the movie.

In Shang-Chi, his Dad is allegedly based on the Mandarin, but won't be related to his comic version in almost anyway.

Unless they have been hiding some massively story twists in casting and production, then he doesn't have the same costume, backstory, or looks as the comic version.

Also, his rings aren't alien technology. But, I could see that being a twist/plot point that would be easy to keep under wraps compared to the others.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 19, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

I don't think Shang-Chi is technically rich. He isn't a billionaire in the comics. He just used to be a part of the ~*secret society of assassins bent on world domination*~

The random goons in the League of Shadows in Batman Begins weren't rich, but they were part of an organization that had an unclear (but probably large) amount of resources and influence.

Shang-Chi left a decade ago and seems to be working at some blue collar job in San Francisco.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

There's a leak of Funko Pops and official merchandise from Shang-Chi that seems to indicate it is way crazier and supernatural than the trailer looked.

- There's a giant dragon that looks like a white/red Fin Fang Foom that is just labelled "The Great Protector" that seems to indicate they either are taking Fin Fang Foom in a different direction, they are going with actual alien dragons from the comics, or the "twist" is that the dragon protector is actually an evil Fin Fang Foom.

- The 10 Rings that look like large bracelets in the trailer are also supposed to be "rings" that fit on the end of the nail of a dragon. If they go with the "alien dragon" angle from the comics, then this would mesh with the comics lore of the rings being alien.

- There's a bunch of weapons and shields that look like they are made of dragon scales.

- Shang-Chi, Katy, and Wenwu all have "normal" clothes and a costume.

If they do go with that certain character, I hope they factor this comics plot detail into their origin in the movie:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 19, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

The Flash movie started filming almost exactly 3 years after the original date it was supposed to release in theaters.

Something... something... time travel reference.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Blade is casting more people and moving into pre-production.

Stacy Osei-Kuffour will be writing the script.

She doesn't have many credits, but all of them have been pretty good.

She was the story editor and writer on HBO's Watchmen TV series, she was a co-writer for Pen15, and a writer on Hunters.

Also, someone I don't recognize named John West Jr. is cast to play someone named "Dee."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h..._source=twitter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea nice try Leon Trotsky, I’m not falling for this, you’re just gonna say “Dee’s nuts”!

Almost got you!

I seriously don't know of any character named Dee in Blade. Maybe he is an original or some very minor character from the comics I can't remember.

The X-Men movie is apparently being called "The Mutants" internally, but it seems like it may be a placeholder name.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

That had better be a sequel to the New Mutants, or I'm going to be peeved.

Spoiler: You're gonna peeved.

Maybe "Marvel's: The Phoenix Saga (2029)" will prove that third time is the charm?

The best thing Marvel could do with the new X-men series is cast all the people that fans were insisting on casting in the 90's before the first movies.

Neve Campbell as Rogue.

Danzig as Wolverine.

HHH as Sabretooth.

Julianne Moore as Jean Grey.

Christopher Plummer* as Magneto.

Will Smith as Ice Man.

Paul Simon as Beast.

Anthony Hopkins as Professor X.

Jim Carrey as Morph.

* (The Ghost of Christopher Plummer)

Edit: In 1999, Wired Magazine posted their best choices for casting in the upcoming X-men movie and they had some pretty wild choices.

quote:

COLOSSUS

Dean Cain
Lou Ferrigno
Brendan Fraser
Tony Ganios
Penn Gilette
Alexander Godunov
Matthias Hues

The world is worse off for not seeing a late 90's Penn Gilette as Colossus.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 21, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

I've not seen Hunters or Watchmen but people seemed to like them so maybe it's a good pick? Is Goyer involved in the writing at all?

Also in looking up stuff about this I just realized that Mahershala Ali is 47 years old. Obviously he's a great choice for the dramatic portions of the role but I am keeping my expectations super super low for any fight scenes. There's only so much training and "supplements" Marvel/Disney can put an actor through and Snipes set such a high bar on the physicality that I don't think anyone could measure up short of like...one of the guys from The Raid movies.

The Watchmen TV series was really great. Pen15 is hilarious and I wouldn't put it in the top 10 shows of all time, but it is very memorable and unique.

I have also not seen Hunters, but she won an Emmy for writing on it and I've heard nothing but good things. The concept of the show is pretty great.

She has a very short catalogue, but everything I have seen from her has been great.

Goyer is not involved in any way right now. Seems unlikely that he will be because the current writer is the first black woman to write a Marvel movie and they probably don't want to bring in other major writers to co-write with her.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

I thought we had established that the one true religion in the MCU was Ancient Norse mythology.

How can the Greek pantheon be real too? Does everyone in the MCU have to hedge their bets and sacrifice a goat and a boat at funerals?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

I didn't watch the Falcon & Winter Soldier series, but if I understand the premise correctly in the post Endgame world governments are trying to reestablish their borders by forcibly deporting people (at gunpoint if necessary), which is what the Flagsmashers want to stop and the good guys...want to let happen?

Also the Falcon uncovers Tuskegee 2: super soldier boogaloo but decides that he's cool with that and wants to be Captain America anyway?

I know you said you didn't watch it, but it's literally the opposite of that.

In the final episode he tells the One Wold Government org that calling people who resist them terrorists allows them to evade the question of why people would risk their lives to oppose them. He then says that shutting people out of the decision making process and only having the rich and elite make decisions that impact everyone gives them the false view that everyone agrees with them. The Flag Smashers end up being martyrs and proven right.

In the end, they stop the GRC from re-establishing the old borders.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 24, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Figures that there are no real consequences for him after murdering a dude in broad daylight in front of a crowd.

That said he was easily the most interesting thing in the show.

The "consequence" is that he is duped into becoming a villain in a later show by someone who should be wearing a red flashing light labelled "Definitely evil" on their head at all times.

That boy ain't too bright.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a Flash mark, I'm going to watch the Flash movie that will be bad.

Maybe the 8 years in development was the exact amount of time they needed to really nail it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Interesting confirmation that Fantastic 4 will be the last Phase 4 movie. RIP everyone's "Phase 4 will stealth introduce the X-men" fan theories.

Not sure what "The Marvels" is referencing? Maybe Carol + Monica?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 3, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Is that 4 at the end supposed to be confirmation of Fantastic 4, or just that this is phase 4? I assume Fantastic 4, but...

It's the Fantastic 4 logo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

stev posted:

The video didn't say anything about Phase Four specifically did it?

And some of the font is the Ms Marvel logo so it'll be those two and I guess Monica will be there too.

There is one Phase 4 movie that has not been officially announced that was originally slotted for the end of 2023.

Since every other movie in that video has been announced or has a release date, then it seems very likely that the Fantastic 4 is going to be the last Phase 4 movie and they aren't teasing a Phase 5 Fantastic 4 movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

New Official Plot Blurbs for the Phase 4 movies:

quote:

In the action-packed spy thriller Black Widow, Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.

quote:

Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient beings who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, the Deviants.

quote:

The sequel to Captain Marvel flies higher, further, faster with director Nia DaCosta as Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) is joined by Teyonah Parris (Monica Rambeau) and Iman Vellani (Kamala Khan).

quote:

Paul Rudd (Ant-Man) and Evangeline Lilly (Wasp) return in Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania with Kang the Conqueror, played by Jonathan Majors. Peyton Reed returns to direct the Marvel Studios film. Kathryn Newton joins the cast as Cassie Lang, while Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer return as Hope’s parents, Dr. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, respectively.

quote:

Marvel Studios’ Black Panther 2 will continue to honor the legacy of Chadwick Boseman and his portrayal of King T’Challa, and will not recast the character. Rather, the sequel will continue to explore the incomparable world of Wakanda and all of the rich and varied characters introduced in the first film. What happens when a Kingdom comes out of the shadows? Factions from within and outside of Wakanda see an opportunity.

Written and directed by Ryan Coogler, who was behind Black Panther, the film will be released on July 8, 2022.

quote:

Make way for Marvel’s First Family as Jon Watts is set to direct Fantastic Four to close out the Fourth Phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 3, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

This one is honestly super disappointing to me, for some reason I got the impression that Eternals was more space based stuff so it could be cooler environments and also more divorced from the main MCU (so you would neither have awkward questions of "where were these fuckers when Thanos invaded" and the more mundane practicalities of these guys existing on earth, and could instead dive into the high concept poo poo)

It looks like a good chunk of it is going to take place in the cosmic realm/multiverse and be a "sort of, but not really" origin story/getting the team together sequence for the first act or two. That is just based off of a few sentences, so it could be totally wrong.

quote:

The Eternals—an immortal alien race created by the Celestials (members of the first lifeforms created in the original universe and involved in the creation of the Multiverse)— suffer an unexpected tragedy following the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019). The group must reunite to protect humanity from their evil counterparts, the Deviants.

They have just barely touched on the Celestials in Guardians of the Galaxy, but I wonder how they are going to condense their ridiculously extensive backstory for the movie (that isn't even about them).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

AHhh okay this could be cool. From the other blurb the immediate impression I got was that we would cut to these guys living in modern times, face some world ending threat that only they were inexplicably around to fight, then end with teases that they might meet the Avengere some day! If it is more cosmic or spans decades or something that could be a good twist on the formula.

It apparently spans "7,000 years" but there's no clue on how much of that is in what period.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Is there any historical period that most people would recognize from ~5,000 B.C.? I think China and Japan are the only "major" civilizations that we have some knowledge of from that era.

Either that or a generic "stone age" or "bronze age" era civilization.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

It's kind of weird that the major plot point of the movie is that Killmonger was trained by the CIA, explicitly wants to mimic their actions, and cloaks his anger and desire for domination in the language redressing centuries of systematic oppression in order to deceive people and then so many people in the real world are actually tricked by the fictional character.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Here’s the real trick: Disney’s got you fretting about the black leftist’s scary anger and “antifa are the real fascists, because fighting back is violence too.” You’ve been bamboozled.

My man, if that rhetorical flourish is all it takes for you to cheer lead and label the CIA operations manual as "Leftist," then I think you are kind of leaning into the point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

The American government agency that I find gets the weirdest treatment in the MCU is the FBI.

Despite 90% of the MCU involving law enforcement/crime problems in the United States, it took 9 years for the FBI to be mentioned in the MCU. Even after SHIELD (which was supposed to be an international defense group and not local) collapsed, the FBI are never involved.

Alien attack on New York? International finance crimes in America? Interstate arms dealing? Performing investigations for congress? Investigating American corporations? All of those are handled by different fictional agencies.

Then, in Wandavision we see a single FBI agent again and he appears to be subservient to another fictional agency that is supposed to be for combating alien threats? Even when supervillains are getting taken to the raft, they are arrested and transported by local police or private citizens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Leaving the FBI and CIA out of the Disney-industrial circlejerk of the MCU was one of it's few mitigating virtues, and then they hosed it all up by introducing (in order) Randall Park and Martin Freeman as emissaries of Good Fascism. There should be laws against using actors that likeable to front for the government.

The weird thing is that the FBI in the MCU doesn't appear to do anything except act as Ant-Man's parole officer for a year or two and act as a random employee of a different agency. I can't even see why they bothered to make him FBI other than to just not have to explain a different fictional agency. There also appears to only be one FBI agent in the entire country.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 5, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

At least 4: Iron Man 2, one of them Spider-Man movies, Capt. America TV show and Black Panther. Endgame and Infinity War are exceptions because they take the radical position of just agreeing with the villain.

Who is the leftist in Iron Man? And the business owner whose motive is that he wants a lucrative contract is an example of leftist ideology being crushed?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Stark interviews Vanko after the assassination attempt. He's baffled that Vanko didn't just sell his weapons for money, like he does. Vanko explains that the purpose of the assassination attempt was to foster resistance to the America military industrial complex.

That's not what he says. He says that Stark and his family have stolen and ruined lives, then goes on to talk about how angry he is that his father's genius was lost to history and everyone only knows the name Stark.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

It feels like people are desperately reaching to find something they want to see when you start arguing that a member of the petit bourgeoisie who is upset that the government has not awarded him a lucrative contract is a leftist struggle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

The changed Woody's wig. Cowardice!

Also, all the symbiotes look the same instead of making carnage skinny and wet. We want our moist alien twink.

0/10

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Carnage is such a dogshit character and the first film had a proto-carnage anyway so I wish they could have done something different. At least the Brock/Venom interactions still look fun.

I hadn't really thought of that, but they did basically do the Carnage storyline already. The difference is this proto-carnage will just be crazier, I guess?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It's like when Venom got his own comic series for a bit and the first story was like "what if Venom had to fight, uh, evil Venoms that are bright yellow/red/etc., totally unique from and unrelated to the character Carnage"

One was a woman symbiote that was crazy, so it is actually different.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Parrotine posted:

Really dying to see a Zack Snyder Venom movie, that poo poo would be bonkers and you know he's chomping at the bit to make one.

Is he?

I thought he said he wants to do small budget movies and isn't doing anything except Zombie movies, an animated movie about Norse Mythology, and Ayn Rand adaptions for the foreseeable future.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Apparently, Andy Serkis (???) directed the Venom sequel. He gave a "director's commentary" of the trailer and basically gave away the entire plot if you can connect a few obvious dots.

Non-spoiler, but kind of lame: Carnage doesn't just have all the same powers as Venom and the villain in the previous movie! He can also turn into mist!

Serkis confirms that "Venom is in his own universe and no heroes like Spider-man have been discovered or are known of in this world... yet"

The basic plot beats:

- It's 1.5 years after the end of the first movie.
- Cletus will only talk to Eddie Brock because he relates to him (both had bad childhoods/are loners).
- The police want Brock to keep talking to Cletus to get him to disclose the locations of the bodies of his victims.
- One of the previous symbiotes spawned a new symbiote.
- Ne'er-do-wells got their hands on it and have been using it to experiment on a woman in Ravencroft (Shriek).
- Shriek has psychic powers that make her an ideal host for the symbiote and she can make supersonic sound waves.
- Shriek knew Cletus as a child and they were ~*lovers*~ that developed a strong connection.
- When Cletus is going to get executed, Shriek somehow gets Carnage to bond with him to save his life.
- Cletus does a bunch of bad stuff and his obsession with Eddie leads him to try and kill him.
- Cletus eventually GOES TOO FAR and does something bad to Shriek.
- Shriek uses ~*sound waves*~ to remove Carnage from Cletus.
- Cletus is probably defeated or eaten.

Seems pretty by the numbers.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 11, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

Two movies in a row where the villain has the exact same powers (plus mist) as the hero is kind of uninspired.

Not even a "dark mirror," but literally the same aesthetic and powers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

What is the practical difference between not having a show runner and having a series of shows all made by the same director/producer ala J.J. Abrams or Shondaland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Wouldn't hurt for at least one american mega-firm to burn their dependence on the CCP.

They never will. The changes they have to make for the Chinese audience are small enough that it doesn't bother most Americans, they release a different cut, or they just straight up consult with Chinese film board officials while in production to make sure they get it right. Nobody is going to isolate themselves from the fastest growing and soon to be largest market.