Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
ASK ME ABOUT MY SELF-PUBLISHED WARHAMMER FANFICTION AND MY KNIFE COLLECTION

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In general social media sites openly supporting white supremacy.

Not even supporting, just that it was more profitable not to oppose them. So, really, it was capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Ugh. On top of being an awful person, she's an awful actress. Such a waste of effort and time. Just fire her and replace her with someone better.

And a bad fighter. She's just mediocre enough at several things that it buys her credibility in the other things. She's a slightly better actor than you expect a fighter to be, and a slightly better fighter than you expect an actor to be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alhazred posted:

She made one tasteless joke four years ago about his mother because she didn't know she was dead. That's pretty much all she has said publicly about him. Which makes The posts about her In this thread kinda weird.

If a youtubefilm essayist can get a shot in on him, they always do. Every Frame a Painting (which was loving great) bringing him up while talking about Martin Scorsese's use of silence is the weirdest example. The one from Ellis I remember was saying that the 'should i have let them drown' scene was setting up whether he was going to help people, but since he was already helping people the scene was bad. It's fairly explicitly not the point of the scene.

If there's a point to be made, it's that, while there are those who base their whole online persona on Snyder being evil, there's plenty of others who know there's a few clicks in just taking a brief shot at him, no matter how poorly it actually fits their point. Ellis is just much more high profile and generally really good so it's more notable when she does it. Same on Every Frame a Painting.

Jimbot posted:

I like her videos even if I don't agree with her points in them but that one was a supremely low effort junk video by her standards. It just came down to "this this is bad" and even the point she was making with Fury Road was muddy and unclear. She didn't elaborate or explain anything. If it were a paper it'd come back with "Show your work" in big, red letters.

I disagree. Her point about Fury Road was a good one. It was essentially about how the entire relationship between Max and Nux, which has gently caress all dialogue, is nonetheless extremely clear because of the exchange of boots over the course of the film. It's a good observation about a small part of Fury Road (there's a lot to write about Fury Road) she just used a poor counter example. It doesn't mirror what Miller was doing, it isn't the same technique, successful or unsuccessful, but it'sis a brief shot at Snyder, simply because taking a shot at Snyder gets you a few clicks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I don't see why critics criticizing a well known filmmaker is such a black mark. It's what they do.

I didn't say it was a black mark and it isn't criticising him that's the issue. Read what I wrote again and find out what it is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

stev posted:

I don't think you get clicks by making brief negative references to Snyder in an hour long video.

Like are there people sharing the video saying 'dude check out this YouTuber she said a negative sentence about Snyder!'?

You do get clicks by showing that you're part of the vague consensus that Snyder is bad, no matter how poorly you have to watch his films to show it. The other alternative is that people who are otherwise very good at talking about films suddenly lose the ability to do so, pick bad examples to make bad points about Snyder and they do it for no reason at all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Fair enough. I might have been conflating a video she did with someone else who was pretty unclear about their point.

I only remember it because it was a brief but very good and concise observation about Fury Road, a film I love, coupled with an absolute dogshit observation about Man of Steel. The contrast was striking. I could owe it to it just being a worse observation because she didn't like the film, but Ellis' whole thing is being able to talk very well about films she didn't like. Her breakdowns of Bright and the Hobbit films are great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Whoever it is, it'll be an underwhelming use of him but we'll get shitloads of puff pieces on how much fun he had on set, as is tradition.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hey, he just respects the troops...exclusively the right wing troops.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Piell posted:

According to this criteria apparently I was never an American.

The especially weird part of this is that Cap is a pretty avid baseball fan in a few iterations. Why wouldn't he know who won the world series? That's the sort of knowledge that you can get just by osmosis.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

On the one hand I kind of get/agree with the panel. Cap holds up an abstract ideal of America but has little to no concept of or connection to the actual human people that are Americans. And one reason we know that is that he helped trash a city where they live and work. such that some of them can't do those things any more (because they're dead or out of a job because their workplace got blown to hell.)

On the other hand, dear Jesus those were some mindless pap examples. I will say that I have logged on to Myspace (though probably not for the last five to seven years at least) because I could put a music playlist there and Facebook was (still is) a finicky Orwellian nightmare. I can't recall the last World Series winner right now. I never watched so much as a single episode of American Idol. NASCAR iseems like its either for idiots or sociopaths. It's guys driving in a circle for three hours. Either that somehow entertains you or you're hoping to see somebody crash. I have gone to You-Tube but mostly to embed video when commenting on a thread topic somewhere. While on there I do sometimes check out other videos, some of them silly.

A non lovely example of the same scene might ask him how much insulin costs, or when was the last time he asked for a raise, or how much an average car payment is. Does he rent? If you wanted to establish that he's out of touch, tie it to real concerns and anxieties americans have or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

the funniest and worst part of KotM was Kyle Chandler. I swear he had to have been a late addition to the script. He whiplashed between being the new guy who needs stuff explained and being the hyper competent guy that no one knows that to do without.

That and the villain giving their villainous monologue via facetime.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Yeah, this is a good point. There's really no meaningful oversight on these modern-era social platforms because they're just so huge.

It is insane just how much the SA paywall changes the shape of the community. I used to post on Film General on IMDB (I know. I was young and stupid, shut up) and there were people there on their 20th account because they would be awful enough to get banned (which was actually pretty hard. Pedophilia apologists and people who just spammed Breitbart links stuck around for ages) and they'd simply turn around and create a new account. The craziest one was the director of the film "My Date with Drew" who showed up to schill his film (under the guise of just an enthusiastic reveiwer) He was banned and simply kept making new accounts to come back and boast that he was back. That, in turn, drove several other users insane, who simply started yelling at every person who liked a recent film that they must be a paid schill.

Darko posted:

They mostly just outsource stuff to (probably) India for people to look at keywords and temp ban people based on them using a word regardless of context.

For the "escalate this," then it goes to native speakers that actually have to pay attention, and there are relatively few of them.

I actually worked for a clickbait article site for a while, and yeah, that's exactly the moderator we had to write for. Obviously, you coudn't swear in the article, but, since it was written for people perusing on social media or work computers, we had to avoid keywords like 'nude' regardless of context, since using the wrong word could get the article blocked. So, in a lovely gossipy article i wrote that mentioned a nude photo (this job was not a proud moment for me) my editor changed the word 'nude' so the article was now about an actress changing her image with a 'love photo shoot'

I loving hated that job.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

The OP was indeed dumb as poo poo, but I feel like the "No why" was a joke.

I checked that person's twitter feed out of the morbid curiosity that drives pretty much all my time on twitter, and they literally post nothing but stuff about comic book movies. Like, they have no opinions on anything that isn't comic book movie news.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Piell posted:

You'll have to pry Agents of Shield from my cold dead hands

You're welcome to it. It's bad. Probably. I've never watched it.

Can we talk about dream projects that definitely won't happen? I've been bingeing Veep recently. For whatever reason, I like it a lot more than Ianucci's previous show, In the Loop and I want him to do an adaptation of Marvel's Illuminati. In case you don't know, it's the Marvel Universe's ruling group, comprising, at one point, Iron Man, Dr Strange, Namor, Professor X, Black Bolt and Mr Fantastic. They, for instance, decided to send Hulk away from earth and they think they've got the marvel universe's best interests at heart. The only issue is that they're always wrong. This is played for grim dramatic irony, as their sins catch up to them. I want to see it played for laughs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I really liked Jessica Jones season 1, never watched more because I felt that anything beyond that would cheapen the season.

I also thought that Daredevil season 1 was pretty good but not as great as everyone says, season 2 was a dip but still had some pretty good parts, but not enough for me to come back for season 3.

First half of Luke Cage s1 was also really fun, but never finished after a certain point.

In all cases, the shows would have benefited a lot by not having any of the even tangential references to the MCU they had.

Also from being about 5 episodes shorter. There simply isn't enough plot in each season for the amount of footage they have.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Spacebump posted:

That's the Dark Phoenix cast. The funny thing is it spoils who dies in Dark Phoenix.

I think it more spoils how much jennifer lawrence didn't want to be in the films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

You really do. It's not always the best show, but it stands on the backs of the two leads. Miller is easily the best Sherlock after Jeremy Brett and his portrayal is an excellent modernisation of the character. His Sherlock is a recovering drug addict with profound allergies to self-pity and tact who engages as a consulting detective not because he loves the work but because he is compelled to use his mind for something or destroy himself, and anything else he could use it for would be worse. And where past iterations of Watson have been an adjunct to Holmes at best, Lucy Liu's version is every bit his equal - the smartest person in the room as long as that room doesn't contain Sherlock, her lack of his deductive and observational savantry made up for by her greater empathy and understanding of human nature. There was a lot of eye rolling when it was announced that they were genderflipping the character; it was unfounded.

I've only watched a couple of episodes, but yeah, their chemistry is excellent and their relationship works extremely well, both as a narrative device for the episode and also in the sense of two people balancing each other out and learning to work together.

I also like how, even as early as the second episode, Sherlock doesn't put things together instantly or magically. He occasionally comes to incorrect conclusions, makes himself look a fool, and then corrects later.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Aping Lynch and the Twilight Zone is honestly the most ambitious the MCU has been in awhile so Iím interested to see where it goes

It's the MCU, you already know where it goes. That's a major component of its appeal.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Robot Chicken's gag about the 8th season of Buffy is now the less embarassing continuation of the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpKqsM9df-M

McCloud posted:

James Gunn disappointed me when he liked that tweet.

Gunn's been disappointing me for a while.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

There were lots of people defending his Wonder Woman script saying they didnít understand the complaints and that it seemed like a funny and upbeat movie.

My favourite defences were the 'hey, it's just a first draft' variants.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

With the Potter Heads it's not only that, they only seem to be able to understand politics by quoting Dumbledore or reducing political ideologies to Wizard Houses.

Again, this is a product of being very online (although I actually don't think I met any supporters of hers in the real world, so...) but I feel like every Elizabeth Warren supporter for some reason was super into Harry Potter.

It was Mayor Pete fans as well. they very vocally loved Harry Potter, leading to an amazing post mourning that we didn't have a president who 'learned to love from Snape'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Years and years ago, I was in a discussion with someone who was livid at the fact that James Bond films nowadays were just copying other things. Others pointed out that it's ever been thus, with License to Kill very clearly a Miami Vice riff, Moonraker being Star Wars, Live and Let Die being Blaxploitation and so on. The discussion kind of degenerated from there, and it ended up with him saying 'well, Live and Let Die is just a better Blaxploitation film than those others'

That energy, where your preferred brand of pulp is not merely pulp, but actually a terrific example of whatever high or low art anyone else likes, that's the energy I see now in that sort of conversation. I can imagine that guy trying to argue that The Spy who Loved me is actually one of the best romance films of the era.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeaaaah I went to go try and read The Boys after loving the show, and drat, it was... it wasn't good.

There are good ideas scattered here and there, buried under an avalanche of edgelord poo poo and bad dick jokes. It's also just way too loving long. The last few issues or trades just drag on for loving ever.

It's not without its great scenes, though. The scene towards the end where the personification of the corporation mocks homelander for having no imagination, for doing what any human would have done given the power is one of the best rebuttals of the 'wouldn't it be interesting if superman was evil?' idea that I've seen. As was Mother's Milk talking about the brooklyn bridge. It's just such a sweet, mundane scene. Ennis badly needs an editor to keep him focused, but when he's good, he reminds me of Peckinpah a little, having the ability to contrast absolute trashy stuff with true sincerity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Were the vehicles he was shooting down actually occupied by humans? I though they were basically robot planes.

For my part I figure they made him CIA to let him realistically give out the exposition on who and what Killmonger actually was - which a regular State department employee probably couldn't do.

This isn't a documentary, you can write whatever background for Killmonger they want.

And they chose to make him a former CIA black ops guy who is doing what CIA black ops guys do, but, shock horror, to the wrong people. More than one person on here has pointed to that expositional scene as some sort of critique of the CIA, but it doesn't work as one. It's dropped purely as a piece of useful information, no one reacts to it in any way aside from 'oh, good, now we know his plan'

Everyone posted:

Wasn't Killmonger's "plan" to ship out a poo poo-load of Wakandan super-weapons and effectively create like 20,000 spiritual clones of Charles Taylor?

Any decent person should sympathize with Killmonger's frustration and desire to see freedom and justice for all black people, but he was still a perfect example of H. L. Mencken's "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong."

And the complex, realistic solution the movie presents is 'build STEM centres' and 'talk to the UN'

Again, it's not a documentary. They chose to write a black revolutionary looking to arm black people as an insincere, self interested friend killing psychopath who is completely beyond redemption. They chose to give that character a plan that, 'realistically wouldn't work' in a world where one drunken lunatic in a super suit privatised world peace in between movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Well, the guy's name is "Killmonger." Figure his background won't be filled with hugs and puppies. And what reaction should there have been? Some version of T'challa and the other Wankandans going "Oh my stars and garters. You mean the CIA is full of meanie-means?" Nakia (who is basically Wakandan CIA) probably tanked more than a few Agency ops that threatened Wakandan interests. They know what the CIA is.

They also chose his name. Also, literally any reaction at all would have been more than was there.

Everyone posted:

And I think Killmonger was sincere as far as it went. The problem is that Killmonger, at his core, was pretty much still that 12 year old (or whatever) kid who saw a plane leaving and found his father murdered body. It's not that he was beyond redemption, but that he wouldn't seek it in the first place because he believed that what he was doing was right.

and you don't think taking black revolutionary ideas and twisting them into the lashing out of an emotionally crippled angry kid is sort of a statement on those ideas?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

Hard to argue any of that. But I also wanted to say, shoutout to Mat Cauthon and all of their recent writing here with regards to Black Panther - really on point.

yeah, it's like reading the posts I would write if I wasn't a dumbass

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

The real test is when Tom Holland is no longer a smol bean and isnít as cute

Jackie Earle Haley steps out from the shadows, ďWhat you are, I once was. What I am, you will become.Ē

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I canít believe ďstreets aheadĒ became a real phrase after its genesis on community as a joke about Pierce trying to coin a new phrase and everyone telling him to stop.

sounds like someone's streets behind.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The worst offender to me is Iron Fist. You have a show about a guy whose power is literally martial arts, and you cast a guy without any sort of training, in martial arts or any other kind of physical activity that could help portraying that role. It's the dumbest decision and I heard nothing good of the show, at all.

I saw a brief fight in an evidence room or something and it genuinely looked like someone parodying that style of quick cut action.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I've resolved myself now to the fact that, whenever I see a good, interesting actor giving an impressive performance, the next thing I will see them in is a mediocre blockbuster that utterly wastes them.

Shageletic posted:

It didn't hurt that Eric Kripke, The Boys showrunner, had 5 years of shooting varied action scenes every episode on Supernatural.

You need experts at it to do it right. So I'm not that harsh on them loving it up on Wandavision.

What I am especially harsh is on the writing itself, which screwed the pooch by the end.

Setting that aside, previs people get a lot of negativity. But for subpar movies, sometimes they're its only saving grace. The only good thing, for example, in Thor 2 was the end fight which looked like it came from a different movie. A much better one.

Actually, you mention Supernatural and I know there's plenty of jokes to make about it, but I remember catching a very early episode where the brothers end up fighting each other. forr a network show in 2005, it's a pretty drat good fight scene. It clearly communicates that they both know what they're doing and also that they're very closely matched both through the choreography and performance. I remember nothing else about that episode except being surprised how good that fight scene was.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

What the gently caress was going on in Dawson's Creek

massively overwritten dialogue, mostly

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

massive spider posted:

It really bothered me in Daredevil how little they did with it.

Thereís one episode that ends with him being caught in a massive explosion, so you might assume thatís setup for the next episode where is hearing is damaged and heís at a disadvantage right? Nope heís fine.

Thereís an episode where heís driving trying to escape someone, he can seemingly hear whatís on the road ahead so, itís not played for tension or anything that he is a blind man driving a car, it just plays out the same as if he could see.

Thereís one big about how heís fighting ninjas who are really quiet, he eventually learns to beat them by...listening really hard. Not using his sense of smell, or any other interesting perception cues.

Daredevil was also shot really uninterestingly most of the time. You'd have a cool visual like the billboard burning into his apartment, but then conversations would just be shot/reverse shot. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but having two blind guys both with super hearing and just doing alternating close ups on their faces was just dull.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Adam West was a loving treasure and i miss him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That is an understatement. It has the biggest budget for any TV show that currently exists. It will only be surpassed when Amazon comes out with their Lord of the Rings series. For context, Game of Thrones last season was $15 mil an episode. Wandavision clocks in at approx $25 million an episode. So everyone that says the action scenes were bad because of budget, its just plain ridiculous and I have no idea why you feel the need to come to the defense of it.

And to put that number in perspective, that means that each episode had approximately the same budget as the first John Wick.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Piell posted:

In the Wonder Woman bank scene and the Steppenwolf vs Amazon scene it played basically every two minutes, I gave you timecodes

Christ shut the gently caress up about lamentations you loving nerd.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Who is Pete Davidson and why do people feel so very strongly about him?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

He hasnít really done anything wrong but people hate him because heís young and dumb as a brick. Heís covered in tattoos (which is not inherently bad but people judge for that,) he proposed to Ariana Grande on their first date, he made fun of an actual fuckin fascist (Dan Crenshaw) on SNL and then felt the need to bring him on the show to personally apologize to him because he had military service.

I donít really have a problem with him as an actor.

Oh, he's that guy. I remembered that story. Ironically, SNL actors apologising to fascists for making jokes about them is, in it's own way, funnier than anything else SNL has done in the last decade or so. Like, not haha funny, more 'laugh crying' kind of funny.

Chairman Capone posted:

Davidson also had a whole routine about how cancel culture is bad and college students are too sensitive for real comedy. This included him defending R. Kelly and saying people only turned on Harvey Weinstein because he was fat.

The United States posted:

What the gently caress

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

As far as the Crenshaw thing goes, as I understand it, it wasn't that he made of the guy, it was that he made fun of the eye patch. That covered the eye. That Crenshaw lost in his military service. So it's not so much that Davidson kowtowwed to a fascist. It's that he wanted to walk back and make right coming off his an Ablest rear end in a top hat.

Pretty sure mocking a guy who lost his eye doing something stupid while doing something evil isn't ableist, esp[ecially when it's a guy who's parlayed that stupidity in the middle of evil into a career doing way more evil. The same way making fun of kamala harris for being awful isn't inherently misogynist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It's actually pretty hard to argue with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Sure, but can we agree that making a crack that instead of being VP she should have run to be manager of a 7-11 is racist? That there is, in fact, a difference between mocking someone's actions and political beliefs and mocking someone's physical attributes or heritage? Dan Crenshaw's politics are Trump-humping vile. We can and should rag on his politics. But maybe we shouldn't mock the fact that an IED blew up in his face and took his eye while he was serving his country in the military in Afghanistan.

I'm fine mocking that fact and apologising to fascists is bad.