Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

WandaVision has been pretty cool so far with the exception of some hand-holdy segments once the SWORD stuff starts interjecting

Hopefully the pay off is actually ambitious and it doesn't amount to "we radically changed the status quo!...for a few episodes but then we reset it because magic" which would be the wrong lesson to adopt from comics

Look into your heart if the MCU will change the status quo and despair. Or watch something good instead idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

That's... kind of a hosed up take man

I mean, we could give them some benefit of the doubt.

By all means drag them if it turns out to be the queerwashing opening of Endgame, tho.

Do not give Disney and Hollywood in general the benefit of the doubt regarding racial matters.

Unless the movie starts with Falcon gunned down by police in the first 5 minutes for walking threatingly or something.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is not what I meant, reading beyond the film is fine, good even, outright rewriting the film to suit a narrative is not. I’m taking what I see and extrapolating intent and result with the destruction of Wakanda thing. Because what we see does suggest Erik Stevens doesn’t care about the future of Wakanda, only that he can use them to start a global war that might destroy them, or might leave him kind of a global empire.

Also, I think that being upset Tony Stark in the only one use of the infinity gems he had chose to destroy Thanos and nothing else isn’t some we must always return to the Status Quo when he did not expect to have the gems ever in the first place and had an immediate threat needing an immediate solution. Especially when to me every movie and show since has been about the status quo having changed, the world has changed. But my readings are obviously my own and I’m not gonna sit here and tell you yours are wrong, that was never my intent. I just never saw the movies as ignoring the advancements (especially when we repeatedly see signs of advanced medical technology at the very minimum) so much as uninterested in going into deep detail about how Tony Stark gave every city an Arc Reactor.

Yes the world still resembles our own, but fhat doesn’t somehow mean there hasn’t been changes. I’d certainly enjoy more signs of those changes, but I sincerely believe they exist, they’re just not some global super peace no more capitalism stuff.

Tell me that the MCU changed the status quo after winter soldier, a movie saying directly that US domestic and foreign policy since ww2 has been directed by fantasy Nazis, and I will call you a liar.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Wakanda's wealth and technology is the result of their control over vibranium and not because they are the best at coding or whatever. Black supression in the real world has nothing to do with nobody teaching black people STEM, they have been and are systematically opressed and their wealth extracted. The "solution" the movie is presenting is just insulting.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Yes it requires overthrowing the current system. Killmonger agrees.

The movie rather suggests black people getting more marketable skills for their capitalist overlords or having access to magic metal instead.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I'll gladly take 2 tired old men punching themselves on top of a submarine while the AI overlords are dying over any Marvel fight scene

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Both republicans and democrats are capital L Liberal parties, it is not some kind of unfortunate tragedy that things stay the same. The MCU is the perfect mirror for this, it does not matter what groundbreaking revelation happens next, the system needs to be preserved.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Dark knight rises was too busy having its occupy revolutionary beaten down by the heroic cops to also whitewash the cia :v:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1399813567302492163

Kevin Feige... is a very strange dude for being such an extremely normal person

What a coincidence, when I think about Disney/Marvel the KKK comes to mind as well

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Can't wait for future movies entirely staffed by Disney's digital corpses while they pay the actors under the cgi next to nothing

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

No one is suggesting canned laughter though. Or prerecorded annoying fake reactions. Just sit an audio recorder in some theaters and record the actual audience reactions, then make it an option for optionally optioning into your movie watching experience.

It doesn't hurt yours at all.

I'll definitely say that MCU films are best watched in theaters. Rewatching Endgame without stuff like the entire theater going bananas for the Mjolnir scene or the reaction to the On Your Left portals opening feels lacking. Idk if I'd use the above to simulate it, but i get why some people would.

It feels lacking because it reveals how empty the movie actually is op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

live with fruit posted:

What could that possibly be?

Getting bitten by a radioactive Dune worm