Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Honestly all I'm getting from Wandavision is that I wish Paul Bettany got a sitcom gig, he's a good comedic guy. Other than that it's barely on the level of season one Moral Orel as sitcom pastiches go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

teagone posted:

There has to be an Avengers movie down the pipeline titled "Avengers: Forever" and it'll bring back RDJ.

Given how much of a headache adapting the actual Avengers Forever miniseries would be, I can definitely see them doing a sort of Avengers All-Star Game where they get all the actors people love back to do their spots and beat some guy nobody cares about like The Sentry.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Burkion posted:

So I'll admit I will never like WandaVision

But that's because I realized *exactly* what to compare it to right away

And it could never, ever live up to that comparison. It dwarfs it so much that it's not even fair but I'm a mean person

I agree, the episode of Community where Jeff hallucinates that he's in a GI Joe episode is much better than Wandavision

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

As a former professional wrestler, Spider-Man is simply respecting the code of the mask. Any punishment American law can mete out is nothing compared to shaming the memory of El Santo by betraying the mask.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Everyone posted:

I don't know. I'd kind of like to see this trend to continue and expand. Maybe a movie about heroic voyeurs hosted by the NSA?

Let's get Brian De Palma that check

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It also had great composition and direction though. It wasn't just Spy Kids

Please don't slander the first 2 spy kids movies

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mulva posted:

Nah, the second you call something a mic drop it loses any possibility of being one. It's like giving yourself a nickname, you instantly stop being cool the second you try and point that poo poo out.

Movie is alright, needed a stronger editing pass. Much better than the original release, and the entirety of WB's executive staff is clearly loving incompetent if they thought taking that pile of footage and hacking it to 2:40 was a worse option than handing it off to Whedon.

People got mad enough about 4:3, I couldn't imagine how controversial 2:40 would be

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Everyone posted:

Sure, but can we agree that making a crack that instead of being VP she should have run to be manager of a 7-11 is racist? That there is, in fact, a difference between mocking someone's actions and political beliefs and mocking someone's physical attributes or heritage? Dan Crenshaw's politics are Trump-humping vile. We can and should rag on his politics. But maybe we shouldn't mock the fact that an IED blew up in his face and took his eye while he was serving his country in the military in Afghanistan.

If he wanted to serve his country he could have volunteered with meals on wheels instead of being an armed subcontractor for oil companies.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anyway, Hulk (2003) is a pretty good comic book movie

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Was Mark Millar the guy who wrote the comic where Iron Man was going to use the N-word before being interrupted?

You're thinking of Bill Jemas' Marville, I'm pretty sure

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

well why not posted:

I don't really see that Ennis is better or worse than Millar, but maybe I'm out of touch. The last Ennis thing I looked into was Crossed and I am not sure Millar has done anything quite as skeezy as that.

He absolutely has and it's called The Unfunnies.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I'm glad they're at least setting dates. It was starting to feel like they'd never start releasing movies again.

God if only

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought that was a "death of Marvel movies" point, not death of theaters

It was, apologies if I was unclear.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maybe if the story has a designated role for "monster man who only wants bad things to happen because he's a monster man" and every critique of why this particular role was filled by a guy whose stated politics and goals of black liberation are incredibly resonant to the current real life state of things ends up in "look you don't get it, he was the monster man who only wants bad things to happen because he's a monster man, so you can't trust him, even if you do agree with black liberation, and frankly I think you've been fooled by the monster man who only wants bad things to happen because he's a monster man", maybe we should question why the story even needs to have a monster man who only wants bad things to happen because he's a monster man.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 6, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The corresponding question is: if all these villains are just irrationally murderous demons trying to blow up the Earth for no reason whatsoever, why even bother with all this "fake" characterization?

Why not just replace them with, like, random asteroids. Iron Man fights to stop a bunch of asteroids, the Avengers unite to stop a larger asteroid, etc.

That's the territory of the Armageddon Expanded Universe

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

teagone posted:

Had time to sit down to watch The Suicide Squad this morning. I was getting big Mystery Men vibes from it, but worse; I didn't laugh much. At least Mystery Men made me laugh a lot at how silly it was.

I don't really get what you're trying to say about Mystery Men here. Given that it's a broad comedy, this sentence feels the same as something like "At least Dirty Work (Saget, 1998) made me laugh a lot at how silly it was."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

teagone posted:

I'm saying I found Mystery Men funnier and more enjoyable and that Gunn's TSS evoked similar vibes but wasn't nearly as good (I like Mystery Men).

Makes more sense when you put it like that, yeah.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd like to see someone do something with, say, Plastic Man or Booster Gold where the idea is that the character embraces his powers and uses them for fame, celebrity, pussy and income - as someone probably would in real life. Like, he goes on talk shows, does tours, stars in movies, has his own reality TV show and YouTube channel, get a billion Twitter followers and all that but somehow winds up having to be a superhero and maybe even sucks at it.

If you haven't already read Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's X-Statix, you may enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know who would be perfect for DOOM? Karl Urban.

You're about 16 years late on that one.