Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Millar's always struck me as the poor man's Garth Ennis, and a lot of people already have issues with Ennis at his best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Brie larson's gonna teach a disadvantaged youth how to pilot a predator drone, gonna be great

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"Dont worry, they were both CIA assets" isn't exactly a message of empowerment

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"This character defined entirely by this struggle doesnt actually care about the struggle and is just an evil monster man" is honestly the lamest characterization, in any movie or game or comic it gets used in. It's backpedaling at the 11th hour because you aren't confident in your heroes' motives.

I'd honestly have more respect for Black Panther if they had the stones to not have any Evil Monster Man moments. Black Panther triumphs over the radical while mockingly bearing the title of a radical group, and you will cheer, drat you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My qualm with "they weren't true revolutionaries, they were evil angry monster men who dont care about the cause" is that we aren't talking about real people. They were written this way to undermine the case against the status quo. Killmonger, Bane, Fitzroy, these aren't based on actual people (insofar as the evil revenge monster man part), they exist to make the opposition Dumb And So Dang Crazy, so that you can feel better when the protagonist just builds an orphanage or a coding center or hugs their daughter.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, a lot of the praise around [minority/disenfranchised superhero] tends to be along the lines of "my 0X year old kid has a hero who looks just like them!", and in that context I imagine you probably wouldn't want to be showing your eight year old Blade

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s pretty obvious that Ross is CIA rather than State department to soften any critique of US intelligence by contrasting a good CIA agent with a bad asset. It’s not the organization that’s rotten to the core, it’s just a bad apple. White supremacy can be overcome if black people just get better at science and the CIA isn’t *necessarily* imperialist and savage, they just need to get the right people in charge. It’s standard liberal reformism.

It's also an overarching theme for a lot of modern Disney films, since at least The Princess and the Frog. Institutionalized racism, animal cruelty, sexism, and working class oppression can be solved by having nice rulers instead of bad rulers.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 7, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Appropriately for all the Venom chat, living suits were a thing in these 00s superhero movie concepts. Like some longterm trickle down of Venom and the T-1000 in the early 90s.

Can't blame them; it's a cool idea, opens up a lot of fun visuals (can't name a scene/panel of someones' suit melting away to reveal their face that i've hated), and gives the protagonist someone to banter with in any particular scene.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even as someone who will defend plenty of Marvel films, it's worrying how little auteur autonomy is being left in their pipeline; the directors dont direct the action sequences (over a third of most of these films), the editors work on set coloring guidelines, and they're not permitting showrunner-writers who can put their spin on the project.

You'd think TV would be the place they'd allow some autonomy. Netflix aimed for a different tone from Disney, had their own flops, Agents of Shield did *waves hands* and the Marvel machine still printed money, what's the harm?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man I remember trying to get into Walking Dead and Invincible like 10 years ago since Kirkman was all the rage and giving up about a volume into each since it's all just so incredibly hateful. None of it felt like it had any purpose other than being unrelentingly miserable.

For what it's worth, Invincible ends on a pretty optimistic, positive note. Also features probably the most extreme superman-pastiche battle I've seen yet; Invincible and The Evil Badman throttle each other into a sun, and they fight on the sun as their flesh sears off, Invincible winning because his arch-nemesis NotLex sends him a layer of armor so he'd Melt Slower

Post-battle, Invincible and his arch-nemesis get into a war where noone dies, he's neutralized, and the rest of the issues are a montage of Invincible & children reforming the supermen diaspora.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Boys comic still has a lot of corporate malfeasance and Voight American attempting to take over the US Military, but it also spends a lot of its time on its 9/11 analogy, due to the time it was written. If you can tolerate Garth Ennis' juvenile humor and spurts of liberal patriotism, I'd recommend it.

Don't read Dear Becky, Herogasm is alright but entirely uneccessary and cranks the sex jokes up to 11.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Injustice: Gods Among Us Animated Movie Officially Announced by DC, Warner Bros. Animation

Homelander, Omni-Man, those alt-universe supermen from that CW show, Adam Warlock, Injustice Superman, the new '20s are the decade of the evil superman baby. Awou (wolf Howl)

Now's a good a time as any for WB to greenlight Snyder's mad max batman movie

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still like The Boys comic, Ennisisms and all, but you can definitely see Ennis' creation grow and mature over time, yeah. I imagine that once the series became a certain success, he felt like he didnt have to cram every joke and bizarre event into every issue.

I mentioned this in the TVIV thread, but something I enjoy from the comic is how enigmatic Butcher's motivations are; three or four characters all exposit their own compelling (but ultimately wrong) character judgements, and even after the reveal of Butcher's plan to genocide everyone with Compound V, his interactions with Hughie still cast doubt on what he really wanted. Show Butcher feels a bit more "figured out" to me, which is fine because Urban carries the character effortlessly.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I think it was a testament to how confused comic book Butcher was that he could needed multiple pages with absolute walls of text explaining himself at the end. It was such a long passage that, now, I honestly can't remember the conclusion. I just wanted it to end. Which actually summarises the whole back half of the Boys for me.

Eh, I think his motivations (at least what he gives) are pretty simple in that issue; Butcher's set on genociding every Compound V person because of how dangerous they are, but has pangs of self-doubt due to exposure to Hughie's humanistic nature, which reminds him of his late brother. After surrounding himself with killers and politikers, A Normal Person rubs off on him. I liked that explanation because it gels with a lot of the Hughie-Butcher scenes, where their life experiences are mirrored but he ends up having a significantly more moral reaction.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 20, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Apologies if these have already been posted:

I dig the collar, some people aren't into the skinny-looking neck, I'd have to wait for the movie to know how I feel about it; it gives him a bit more of a youthful, vulnerable vibe, and I dont know if that conflicts with the film yet, obviously.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
No clue, it was bundled with the others. Admittedly I didnt do too much research beyond "huh neat, I wonder if the comic thread has talked about the costume yet".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Was it built on top of the natives of the land, or are they trying to avoid the most obvious ethnostate comparison

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Mauler Twins make it to the end of the comics, though it's often because Kirkman can kill them with minimal reprecussions. They are pretty fun though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think JL also had the stench of being a trendchaser on it.

I've only come into contact with one person talking about it, which at least inspired me to look up what it's about; "fake superman struggling to keep up the pretense of being an apolitical superhero while his family gets tired of his bullshit" isn't the worst thing, but hits a lot of beats Invincible and Watchmen and The Boys have already or are already getting into. I dont think people needed "that, but the costumes are worse".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 3, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I liked Invincible, liked The Boys, would have been on-board with Snyder's Bat Max film, was ambivalent on the Watchmen series, Jupiter's Legacy is honestly the first big miss on the Bad Superman concept for me, and from what i'm hearing I've no idea if they even get that deep into Bad Superman before they were canceled. I've still got interest in the Injustice cartoon, at the least.

I'd like to see more Batman Bad, but I guess that's too easy of a target. How's the White Knight series?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, "lol blue cat people, penis hair" jokes were everywhere when Avatar first hit. It definitely invaded the zeitgeist, for however fleeting a time.

Mainly, I'm just happy that James Cameron got a carte blanche check to go diving under the guise of making a sequel.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its kind of amazing how the parallels between the start of the actual comics rivalry has sort of been revived for their film universes.

Tbf I think SCJL is better than the Super-Sons

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Imo theres value in the Marvel way insofar as it can cut a lot of exposition, and provides it a la carte; dont need a movie showing who Doctor Strange is? Then you dont need to watch Doctor Strange for this other movie Doctor Strange is in.

Where things get annoying is the insistence that characters have to be treated this way, because it's what Marvel did (which gets weird when you consider how often other franchises are mocked for imitating Marvel). A lot of the time you dont need a two hour+ movie for The Guy that Grows Big or Water King to get their schtick! Sometimes their introductory sequence can be thematically appropriate for this other story! It's not like movies with large ensembles were invented by Marvel.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The waynes have never had to work in the service industry and they'll be damned if they have to start now

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whatever's going on with those abs and hips certainly gives an alien appearance, I've this hunch that's not exactly intentional.

I have to imagine it looks better CGI-enhanced, somehow.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The leather outfits, at least in X1, were so tight and stiff that the actors basically could barely do anything more strenuous than an urgent walk. Which makes the gags about how bad and not-serious the traditional costumes are funny in a different way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ostensibly, Lord of the Rings is a story about a party getting an evil ring and dumping it in a volcano while elves learn to be less dickish. It gets three books/11 hours of runtime though because the fun is in the journey and the worldbuilding.

Yeah, you probably could have made a 120 minute Justice League movie, maybe even an 80 minute movie! But the 4 hour runtime lets the universe breathe.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I became a fan of Deathstroke after seeing his two scenes and half a dozen lines at the end of ZSJL, and am now gutted to find out he hasn't actually been in any cartoons or anything that I can see, other than a couple of video games

He was a recurring (and the most memorable) villain in the Teen Titans cartoon, though he was just called Slade

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Can you even have an interesting journey in the DC universe? Lord of the Rings works because most of the cast are just regular folk. When your cast has a mix of reality defying powers, there's not a lot you can do to keep the story from being resolved right away.

I mean, Kingdom Come, Greek epics in the general, Gandalf is literally an angel. The answer to "what journey do you have for powerful characters" is "have them accomplish powerful feats".

DC has typically done the "huge epic" Alex Ross tone real well, and fallen on its face embarassingly when aping Marvel. Will be interesting to see what Flash is like.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I always wonder how certain directors like Burton, Crowe, or Reiner can have strings of back-to-back hits that are unique and well-crafted, but eventually make one bad movie that breaks the chain and then continue pumping out mediocre to bad movies for decades.

It's like that one failure somehow cripples them after batting 1000 for years.

Same reason one-hit wonders put out an incredible song/album, then remain thoroughly unmemorable the rest of their careers; their creative success was wrought from years worth of ideas and planning and refinement, and once those are exhausted they spend much less time coming up with much more flawed projects, and the creative process has been thoroughly warped by success.

Tim Burton is a very stark example of this, where 1985-1996 demonstrates a variety of ideas and tricks that he'd likely been fermenting prior to his breakthrough, then the entire rest of his career, from 1999 to 2021, is various riffs on his first few years.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think you can confidently state all three points, that:

- Scarlett Johansson is terrible; ties to an apartheid company, says dumb poo poo at regular intervals, mediocre actor (though when compared to her DC counterpart, light-years ahead).

- 20 million dollars is more than any human being needs in their entire life.

- Disney is clearly in the wrong, having broken at best the spirit of the contract by artificially halving (or more) the result that her pay was reliant on. And if they get away with this treatment it will have negative reprecussions for worse-paid actors.

Without trying to obfuscate any of the three.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"Pro-democracy forces" tends to have a very specific connotation within the context of South America.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. IM had one show at all before the movie. If you asked the average person before the MCU about Iron Man they'd just go "That Black Sabbath" song?

Dont forget its pop cover!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gQSPMHPm0

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Also I don’t think I’ll ever go to Disneyland again. It’s kinda boring now.

From what I've heard the more recent disney attractions have been pretty halfassed in general.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How far will I need to Fast-Forward to see the spidermen crank their spiderhogs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
See the latest cockvid information on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think some of the fights are alright, maybe a bit choppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEN5Bl2ncI

Some of the reaper CGI can be rough, but is carried by the design, which is pretty strong.

They really should have made a Morbius/Blade movie. Makes so much more sense than trying to sell a somewhat generic niche character played by an rear end in a top hat.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 11, 2022